Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.36%
31.82%
32.73%
5.45%
1.82%
0%
1.82%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Saw this the other day and I got to say I was really dissapointed. I thought the conflict between Cap and IM was pretty weak in that the need for the UN to take control over the group was not a stretch of a request. The comic book arc did a better job of presenting an issue that brought up strong opinions from both sides. The stakes just weren't set high enough in the movie to make me think there was really a need for Cap to say no to. The action was pretty good but the story just didn't draw me in.
Old 05-17-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

I actually hated the stand alone Ant-Man movie, but came away from Civil War thinking Ant-Man was the best part of it. Go figure.
Old 05-17-16, 07:11 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Just saw it for a second time today, but this time I went and saw it in 4DX. While it was an interesting experience, can't ever see myself doing it again. Literally felt like I was going to get sick at first, but then I kind of adjusted to it. But in general every other element was more distracting than it was feeling natural with the movie.

Originally Posted by lopper
I actually hated the stand alone Ant-Man movie, but came away from Civil War thinking Ant-Man was the best part of it. Go figure.
Completely agree... although I think I need to maybe give AntMan one more try.
Old 05-18-16, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matto1020
Just saw it for a second time today, but this time I went and saw it in 4DX. While it was an interesting experience, can't ever see myself doing it again. Literally felt like I was going to get sick at first, but then I kind of adjusted to it. But in general every other element was more distracting than it was feeling natural with the movie.

Completely agree... although I think I need to maybe give AntMan one more try.
I've never tried the 4DX.....is there constantly movement or just in spots? Is it just shaking/leaning/back-and-forth or what?
Old 05-18-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 989 Likes on 698 Posts

Saw this last night and it's by far the closest Marvel has come to making a perfect MCU movie. Notice I said perfect "MCU movie" and not "movie." I suppose at this point I've given up expecting a truly great, singular, standalone film from Marvel (although a couple have come close). For the most part, it all still feels like big budget TV to me, which I think is exactly what Marvel wants. The bright side is that it's at least really good big budget TV.

In Age of Ultron and Ant-Man, just to name the two most glaring examples, the creative conflict between director (former director in the case of Ant-Man) and Marvel Studios plays out onscreen for everyone to see, and they both suffer because of that conflict. The Russos on the other hand, clearly buy in 100% with what Marvel is doing and I'm actually rather astounded at how deftly they were able to juggle all of the different corporate mandated balls in the air. No one would have been surprised if Civil War had just completely collapsed under it's own weight. This movie was tasked with dealing with the fallout from Age of Ultron, introducing Spider-Man and Black Panther (and their respective supporting characters), bringing Ant-Man into the Avengers fold, re-establishing Thunderbolt Ross's place in the MCU, planting the seeds of a Scarlet Witch/Vision romance, and tying up some loose ends from Iron Man 3 and somehow succeeds. Did I mention that this all takes place in a Captain America movie? And that on top of everything I just mentioned also serves as a direct sequel to Winter Soldier? Amazing. It may not be exactly what I'm looking for in a movie, but it does what it wants to do about as well as any movie I've ever seen.

quick thoughts:
-Black Panther, Spider-Man and Ant-Man had no business being in this movie. That said, they were all awesome. Like, beyond my wildest expectations kind of awesome. That airport scene was incredible.

-Zemo was good, but more so than anyone else, I thought he kind of got lost in the shuffle. I also thought his master plan relied a bit too much on convenient plotting. It was also a little too similar to Loki's plan from the first Avengers.

-I wonder if the new status quo at the end of the movie (Sokovia Accords in place, Cap and other Avengers on the run) is going to have a major affect on the plotting of future installments? It should, but sometimes Marvel has a habit of glossing over these sorts of big picture plot developments.

-At this point I suppose I've mostly accepted Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow. She's fine and the character, as written, is fine. But I still think she is mis-cast, and if I could go back in time and pick any character to get a do-over, it would be Black Widow.
Old 05-18-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree that its a miracle that this movie had so much on its plate and yet it managed to achieve everything it set out to do. I didn't feel like any character really got a bad outing here, and in fact introduced/re-introduced some characters in fantastic ways.

I also agree that Zemo's plot does seem a little too much relying on convenience, but i would say no more than say the Jokers in The Dark Knight. Suspension of disbelief needs to be fixed in place for these movies otherwise a person watching will miss out on a lot of the fun. And not sure his plan was much like Loki's. Loki just wanted to cause chaos to put the team into disarray (using the Hulk primarily) more than anything and take over the planet. Zemo seems to be much more focused on his goal. He wants to destroy the unity of the team period. He does not care if he gets captured, or the fallout, and he has no desire (at this point) to conquer. Its pure revenge. And i thought he worked amazingly well. Would love to see more Zemo in the future.
Old 05-18-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think I missed out on a any of the fun. I just thought some of the plotting as it related to Zemo was a bit lazy. What that has to do with the Dark Knight, I'm not entirely sure. And yes, Zemo's motivations were different than Loki's but the crux of both plans was still to turn the Avengers against one another. It's not really a huge deal for me. Just something that I noticed while watching the movie.
Old 05-18-16, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very minor question about Zemo

Spoiler:
Why would Zemo call the hotel he was staying at to request the same breakfast, knowing the maid would find the dead body of the murdered psychologist set to question Buckey? Wouldn't it make more sense to not say anything, and sure the body would be discovered at some point, but it would buy him a few more days for the government to realize his murder, right?
Old 05-18-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

He also left the Bucky mask that he used during the UN bombing in that hotel room. He wanted to be outed at that point so that Stark would come after him.
Old 05-18-16, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

^exactly that was his plan, to lure Stark.

Many people complained about Zemo, but I really liked the character. The last scene with him and Black Panther was awesome, where he is just sitting down reflecting. Like Lewis at the end of "There will Be Blood" even though he kinda wins there is no glory in it. Revenge brought nothing to his life.
Old 05-18-16, 03:17 PM

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I don't think I missed out on a any of the fun. I just thought some of the plotting as it related to Zemo was a bit lazy. What that has to do with the Dark Knight, I'm not entirely sure. And yes, Zemo's motivations were different than Loki's but the crux of both plans was still to turn the Avengers against one another. It's not really a huge deal for me. Just something that I noticed while watching the movie.
I think he is bringing up the joker from the TDK because like Zemo his evil plans seem to proceed apace without anyone realizing what is going on until it is too late.

I always say to myself when watching The Dark Knight...no one noticed him and his henchman rigging up a jillion explosives to take out a hospital, or the ferry scene...same thing, it feels like a plot hole big enough to drive a truck through. To be fair, you could say the same thing about no one noticing a fortified armory being built underneath a hospital in Hard Boiled.
Old 05-18-16, 03:21 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

no one notices clark kent is superman. you just gotta let some shit slide
Old 05-18-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I think he is bringing up the joker from the TDK because like Zemo his evil plans seem to proceed apace without anyone realizing what is going on until it is too late.

I always say to myself when watching The Dark Knight...no one noticed him and his henchman rigging up a jillion explosives to take out a hospital, or the ferry scene...same thing, it feels like a plot hole big enough to drive a truck through. To be fair, you could say the same thing about no one noticing a fortified armory being built underneath a hospital in Hard Boiled.
I knew what he was referring to, I just don't understand why it matters. It's not like The Dark Knight is some universal standard by which we rate all superhero movie writing.
Old 05-18-16, 05:12 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dave94
I've never tried the 4DX.....is there constantly movement or just in spots? Is it just shaking/leaning/back-and-forth or what?
There are a bunch of different elements going on at once. First off, you watch the movie in 3D.

Then the seat you sit in moves and jerks around (think of the old Back To The Future ride or the SpiderMan ride at Universal Studios). During action scenes, the seats go pretty much crazy, and become very jerky. So much so that it's actually hard to eat popcorn or drink soda. They also have something in the back of the seats, so if a character gets punched, you get a little "punch" in your back. For scenes when someone is simply driving in a car, they just slightly rumble and turn as the car turns. For scenes where everyone is sitting and talking, the seats stay still.

Then there are the "elements" they've rigged into the theater. There are little air cannons built into your seat, and when people fire bullets, they shoot these air cannons at your ears. Also rigged on the ceiling are HUGE fans that will blow air around the theater when there's an outdoor scene. And if the outdoor scene is raining, they actually make it "rain" in the theater. Nothing crazy, but I was definitely a little damp when I left. And lastly, during firefight scenes, they also shoot the scent of gunpowder throughout the theater.

Again, it was an interesting experience, but all the things going on around you took me OUT of the movie more than put me IN it.
Old 05-18-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
no one notices clark kent is superman. you just gotta let some shit slide
There's a difference between suspending disbelief on something like recognizing Superman versus "you couldn't actually rig up those explosives without being noticed".
Old 05-20-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Well my really long post didn't save because the forum logged me out. But I would give it a 3/5. Honestly I thought it was pretty mediocre and if that twist had happened in a DC movie fanboys would be screaming bloody murder over it.
You gave it 2 stars in this thread poll.
I don't get that at all.
You and the other 2 star poll, what do you want,
this movie was a great superhero action movie.

Also why do you delete part of the "quote" function? It screws up the entire quote.

Originally Posted by HN
You know, these comments of finally getting Spider-Man right...isn't that being dismissive of the raimi/maguire Spidey? It's unfortunate they have part 3 of that series but 1 and 2 are way up there, no?
SM 1 is terrific and 2 is great especially 2.1
I think 3 could have been really good without the emo PP/SM and without the silly Giant Sandman monster.

Originally Posted by HN
your condescension of people enjoying this movie is what's bringing out those types of responses. it was perfectly civil before that. you say "People can have different opinions funny how that work" yet you come at them with shit like masterbating and jerking to it.
Yeh what's with all the masterbating references, weird.

Originally Posted by HN
^^ok, i gotta point out -- if you're going to remove the quoted person's name, at least leave the closing bracking in the open [q-u-o-t-e] so it's not so obnoxious to read.
This

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Because you're not white enough, brah.

Basically it's a way to replenish dat Vitamin C. Same concept as when you got that Sunny D after playing your "futball" game.

You know, before your life as a mouth breather.
No one in my theater got it and Sunny D is vile.

Originally Posted by davidh777

"'Bird costume'?--come on!"

"Manchurian Candidate"
Those 2 jokes were great.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Who really gave a damn about Goliath? I was kind of surprised cuz... it happened but I didn't care about Bill Foster ever. .
Everytime you say "cuz" I'm trying to figure out who you are talking to.
Cuz is more a shortened version of "cousin' among those that I know. "Cause" would be a shortening of because and not much shorter at that.

Anyway I thought this was great.
The action was amazing except for the 2 or 3 jerky frame rate fight shots that were shot terribly because of the frame rate style.
Looked like the way much of if not all of Gladiator was shot. Missing frames.

The SM stuff was better than all of SM3 and ASM 1-2 put together.
Spidey: "dude, that shield doesn't follow the rules of physics AT ALL"
Falcone telling him he doesn't remember fights having so much talking.
Everything SM was just perfect in this.
When I saw the young guy listening to his earphones walking into the house I knew it was PP and
had a huge smile on my face.

The post credits scene with him and Aunt May was funny and great too.

Loved the movie.
Old 05-20-16, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cuz it's shorthand slang form of because, suckah!
Old 05-20-16, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One other thing.

I didn't see or notice whatever was the bigger screen size of the Imax scenes.
If it was the airport section I judt didn't see a diffrence
Old 05-20-16, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cuz it's shorthand slang form of because, suckah!
Alright Cuz.
Old 05-20-16, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
One other thing.

I didn't see or notice whatever was the bigger screen size of the Imax scenes.
If it was the airport section I judt didn't see a diffrence
Did you see it at a real IMAX or a liemax?

It was the entire airport scene, and it was definitely noticeable on real IMAX.
Old 05-20-16, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright Cuz.
Cuz of what?
Old 05-20-16, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

4/5, Glad things have gotten better since Age Of Ultron. I would even say the first 2/3rds is a 4.5/5 movie but wasn't super into the last third and everyone's actions not really having any repercussions. Now if they followed up this movie with something like Capitan America: Most Wanted, that could be fun. But no, Rodey is going to walk again, one way or another and we know the team will get back together next big bad.

But really in the end I just love all of these characters and will keep going and buying these movies until they stop making them.
Old 05-20-16, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cuz of what?

^^
I don't refer to anything as lieMax cuz there are barely a handful of what used to be real IMax left.

I saw it in a DLP iMax which is the standard now.
Old 05-20-16, 11:15 PM

^^
I don't refer to anything as lieMax cuz there are barely a handful of what used to be real IMax left.

I saw it in a DLP iMax which is the standard now.
Then I could see your complaint about it not being noticeable. Luckily we still have a true IMAX in my area - I try to hit as many movies as I can there, my wallet be damned.
Old 05-21-16, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
What that has to do with the Dark Knight, I'm not entirely sure.

Whilst the genera plan of the Jokers was great (cause chaos and make Batman cross a line that he could not step back from) like Zemos it did rely on convenience. His being captured and put into a jail with the same guy he sewed the explosive device into his stomach is one instance. This is where the audience needs to suspend its disbelief and simply go along with it and sit back and be entertained. It's when some aspects are just so out there that it can take a person out of the movie. I truly hated the Fast and Furious 6 but I actually got pissed off at the end with that 25 mile long run way sequence. It just treated the audience as idiots. God I hate those movies, but am forced to see them as my wife enjoys them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.