DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/634161-captain-america-civil-war-russo-bros-2016-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 05-01-16 06:47 PM

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Captain America: Civil War" (Starring: Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan, Don Cheadle, Jeremy Renner, Chadwick Boseman, Anthony Mackie, Paul Bettany, Paul Rudd)

Release Date:
5/06/16

Rating:
PG-13 (for action scenes aplenty throughout.)

Running Time:
147m. (2h. 27m.)

Budget:
$150 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
After another incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability, headed by a governing body to oversee and direct the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers, resulting in two camps, one led by Steve Rogers and his desire for the Avengers to remain free to defend humanity without government interference, and the other following Tony Stark's surprising decision to support government oversight and accountability.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.6 (46,538 votes as of 5/01/16)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:85 Rotten:05 (94% as of 5/01/16)

Metacritic:
81 metascore ('Universal acclaim reviews' as of 5/01/16)

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKrVegVI0Us

Poster Art:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...%20Soldier.jpg

Goldberg74 05-01-16 07:02 PM

Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

My friend in the UK saw it on Friday. She said it was fantastic.

I've got my tickets for Thursday!

#TeamCap

OldBoy 05-01-16 07:11 PM

Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

probably see this Friday myself.

#TeamIJustWantToSeeAGoodMovie

MrSmearkase 05-01-16 07:26 PM

It's the tits. The airport battle is an all-timer.

DJariya 05-02-16 02:01 AM

A new Harkins movie theater is opening near my area on Thursday. I'm debating catching it Thursday night, although a new theater grand opening might be pretty crowded.

Anyways, I'm psyched to see this. For those who watch Agents of Shield on ABC, they will be doing a follow up episode to this like they've done with past Marvel movies on the following Tuesday. The plot for the episode however sort of gives a big spoiler for the ending of Captain America (without being entirely specific), so you apparently have to see the movie 1st before you watch Shield.

mdc3000 05-02-16 06:49 PM

I flipped out for it and while I still enjoyed the deliberately paced first half, I must say that from the airport battle onward is among the strongest material we've seen yet in the MCU - great humour, great action and some real emotional stakes. Can't wait to see it again.

Deftones 05-02-16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12791081)
A new Harkins movie theater is opening near my area on Thursday. I'm debating catching it Thursday night, although a new theater grand opening might be pretty crowded.

Wow Harkins moved in California? Cool. Started in AZ decades ago.

SPiRAL 05-03-16 04:35 PM

I saw it last night and thought it was the best " Avengers Universe " movie so far. Easy to follow, lots of great action scenes. It's cool seeing them all going at each other. We had a choice of 2D or 3D, we saw it in 3D which I feel added to it, but not essential, and it was long AF but good.

jdslater1 05-04-16 03:48 AM

Loved this. Winter Soldier is still my favourite but this is a second for me.
Great intro to Spider-Man (not a character I like but was excellent in this) the humour is great. Rudd steals it for me in that respect.
The airport scene is superb. Yes, it's no colourful like that picture was going around but so well executed it beat anything from BvS or Ultron.
2 credits scenes so don't leave after the first one.

Also, Olsen is as hot as hell.

Solid Snake 05-04-16 08:34 AM

What do you mean by colorful?

The Bus 05-04-16 08:41 PM

Up there with the first Avengers and The Winter Soldier in terms of MCU films.

The Spider-man is the most accurate ever committed to screen.

Highest possible recommendation.

Deftones 05-04-16 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by the bus (Post 12793618)
highest possible recommendation.

6/10?

jdslater1 05-05-16 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12793030)
What do you mean by colorful?

There was that picture from the comic book that showed them all facing off. It was really colourful and the movie version is kinda drab and grey. The only real colour coming from the a few explosions and Scarlett's witches power.
It's a really superb scene that is quite amazing and funny. It's a well laid out sequence

dex14 05-05-16 04:53 PM

The time has finally come! 7pm tonight!

My theatre has been posting this on social media. Not sure if they really decked the theatre out this way. If so, pretty cool.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...86&oe=57B758E2

Orbi-Wan Techno 05-05-16 04:57 PM

Tomorrow at 6:30! Date night with the Mrs. Tickets in hand!

fumanstan 05-05-16 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12794373)
The time has finally come! 7pm tonight!

My theatre has been posting this on social media. Not sure if they really decked the theatre out this way. If so, pretty cool.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...86&oe=57B758E2

That's pretty neat!

HN 05-05-16 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by N2DVD (Post 12794377)
Tomorrow at 6:30! Date night with the Mrs. Tickets in hand!

Mrs. Tickets is in for a treat!

musick 05-05-16 05:56 PM

those who see in 3D, please let us know if it is worth the upcharge or not
still deciding on what version to see Saturday

edit: just saw SPiRAL's note on the 3D

DJariya 05-05-16 06:01 PM

Seeing it in 2D tonight at 7pm. Bought my ticket online yesterday. Have to work really early tomorrow, but I don't care.

CaptainMarvel 05-05-16 09:41 PM

Holy crap this was good. Virtually everybody got time to shine. Black Panther was awesome. Spidey was awesome.

I am floored.

stingermck 05-05-16 09:45 PM

Saw it, loved it, probably #1 or #2 Marvel film for me.

Spidey got a huge reaction, and the audience along with Spidey let out a holy shit during Giant Man.

All characters got a chance to shine, good humor, brutal fight scenes, and very curious where they go from here.

csant 05-05-16 09:56 PM

Fucking Loved it.... Black Panther was awesome, Spidey was great and like others have mention everyone got some screen time to shine. I will be seeing this again and can't wait for the BD.

Maz Kanata 05-05-16 10:22 PM

Loved it. Great performance from RDJ. Any complaints about Baron Zemo are pretty much rubbish, the character was handled well and has one of the movie's best scenes. Awesome pacing and juggling of plot and dozens of characters. Was not expecting Giant-Man here. Boseman was great. Just excellent stuff all-around. One question: when exactly did Steve learn that it was the Starks who got killed?

CaptainMarvel 05-05-16 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata (Post 12794651)
One question: when exactly did Steve learn that it was the Starks who got killed?

In the Winter Soldier movie. He and Black Widow learned from Arnim Zola (as a computer). Zola began playing footage of people that WS had killed for Hydra, and the Starks' "car accident" was listed.

Maz Kanata 05-05-16 10:53 PM

Thanks, I'd forgotten that bit.