Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Birth of a Nation (Parker, 2016) — Nat Turner rebellion film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Birth of a Nation (Parker, 2016) — Nat Turner rebellion film

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts
Re: The Birth of a Nation (Parker, 2016) — Nat Turner rebellion film

Originally Posted by dex14
Apparently the rape history had been on Parker's Wikipedia page long before this. Nobody brought it to the media spotlight until he is no in Oscar contention.
Yeah, no way Hollywood didn't know about this. It's not like it was swept under the rug. In fairness, he was acquitted...but so was George Zimmerman and O.J....
Old 08-18-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I don't know, this could get ugly. He posted this 2 days ago.

https://www.facebook.com/OrigiNatePa...70722826477424

Nate Parker - August 16 at 6:58pm ·

These are my words. Written from my heart and not filtered through a third party gaze.
Please read these separate from any platform I may have, but from me as a fellow human being.
I write to you all devastated…Over the last several days, a part of my past - my arrest, trial and acquittal
on charges of sexual assault - has become a focal point for media coverage, social media speculation
and industry conversation. I understand why so many are concerned and rightfully have questions.
These issues of a women’s right to be safe and of men and women engaging in healthy relationships are
extremely important to talk about, however difficult. And more personally, as a father, a husband,
a brother and man of deep faith, I understand how much confusion and pain this incident has had on so many,
most importantly the young woman who was involved. I myself just learned that the young woman ended
her own life several years ago and I am filled with profound sorrow…I can’t tell you how hard it is to hear this news.
I can’t help but think of all the implications this has for her family. I cannot- nor do I want to ignore the pain she endured
during and following our trial. While I maintain my innocence that the encounter was unambiguously consensual,
there are things more important than the law. There is morality; no one who calls himself a man of faith should even be in that situation.
As a 36-year-old father of daughters and person of faith, I look back on that time as a teenager and can say without hesitation
that I should have used more wisdom. I look back on that time, my indignant attitude and my heartfelt mission to prove my innocence
with eyes that are more wise with time. I see now that I may not have shown enough empathy even as I fought to clear my name.
Empathy for the young woman and empathy for the seriousness of the situation I put myself and others in. I cannot change what has happened.
I cannot bring this young woman who was someone else’s daughter, someone’s sister and someone’s mother back to life…
I have changed so much since nineteen. I’ve grown and matured in so many ways and still have more learning and growth to do.
I have tried to conduct myself in a way that honors my entire community – and will continue to do this to the best of my ability. All of this said,
I also know there are wounds that neither time nor words can heal. I have never run from this period in my life and I never ever will.
Please don’t take this as an attempt to solve this with a statement. I urge you only to take accept this letter as my response to the moment.

Nate
Old 08-18-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

inri222, its anecdotal.. but a lot of the "Fuck Nate Parker, I'm not going to see that movie" women I've seen were knocked off the fence by that post. Many of them said it was too fake and insincere. Like a PR person wrote it...
Old 08-18-16, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,304 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Seems pretty heartfelt to me but then again it's probably a lot easier to make those kind of statements when the victim is out of the picture.
Old 08-18-16, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like bullshit type of way of giving an explanation. Get to the fucking point and defend yourself.
Old 10-02-16, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 405 Likes on 271 Posts

I saw a screening of this tonight in Vancouver. I liked it. It didn't bowl me over, but it was a solid film. Nate Parker was there and introduced the film. He didn't do a q&a after though. I wonder why.
Old 10-02-16, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts

On the TCM fan site on Facebook, a member wrote that she heard there was a remake of BIRTH OF A NATION coming out and added, "I have the Lillian Gish version. I'm curious to see what they do with the new one."

I had to politely inform her that the new one is NOT a remake.
Old 10-02-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Turner is appearing on 60 Minutes today, and he's supposedly going to talk about what happened between him and the accuser.
Old 10-02-16, 01:16 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Nat Turner! On 60 Minutes?! Now that's a get.
Old 10-02-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,304 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Nate Parker was there and introduced the film. He didn't do a q&a after though. I wonder why.
He probably likes to leave a little extra time in his schedule for rape. You gotta make that room somewhere.
Old 10-02-16, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB
Turner is appearing on 60 Minutes today
Haven't watched it yet, but I remember earlier last week some of the interview leaked, and he was apparently non-apologetic about what happened. And today I see an ad intercut with current BLM protests...wow, good luck with that marketing....what a turnoff.

I read a few wks ago that part of Fox's purchasing agreement was to release this on 1500 screens on opening wknd....that seems like a bad approach for films like this.... I'd surprised if it makes much of an impact this upcoming wknd.
Old 10-02-16, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Haven't watched it yet, but I remember earlier last week some of the interview leaked, and he was apparently non-apologetic about what happened. And today I see an ad intercut with current BLM protests...wow, good luck with that marketing....what a turnoff.

I read a few wks ago that part of Fox's purchasing agreement was to release this on 1500 screens on opening wknd....that seems like a bad approach for films like this.... I'd surprised if it makes much of an impact this upcoming wknd.
Especially with most white people going to be watching baseball playoffs and Girl on the Train..
Old 10-03-16, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts

New York Times article on the difficulties of marketing this film without inciting audiences to riot. Not that there'll be enough people in the theater for any kind of "mass" action.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/03/bu...ef=todayspaper

Reminds me of all the hubbub over DO THE RIGHT THING in the summer of 1989 and fears that it would cause riots.
Old 10-03-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Reminds me of the Chris Rock's movie-in-a-movie in Top Five.
Old 10-03-16, 09:25 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

This movie would have stirred controversy even if the filmmakers weren't rapists. Now it is the most poisonous hot potato in years. But still not as controversial as the Ghostbusters remake.
Old 10-03-16, 09:59 AM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
On a sidenote: I just saw recently Beyond the Lights with Parker in it. I thought it was a really great film and he was good. Gugu Mbatha-Raw is incredible (and gorgeous) in that. She's a real talent.
I'd hit it. Raw.
Old 10-06-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

4.8 on IMDB with some classic reviews.

Old 10-06-16, 01:44 PM

Received 4,693 Likes on 3,179 Posts

I have movie money to see this. I'll probably check it out.
Old 10-06-16, 02:19 PM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Well geez, after reading those reviews, I think I'll skip this one and go see "Cafe Society" instead!
Old 10-06-16, 03:46 PM
Banned

I'm assuming that 3rd review is the BS that the Holocaust wasn't real?

Also... Turner's Rebellion did happen though. It also made it worse for blacks cuz of it's failure. Still.. I've always been fascinated by that whole thing cuz as a kid? I always wondered..."Why didn't some slaves just fight back?" And it wasn't till I was in HS that I read Fires of Jubilee. That mind fucked me into what I thought about that period and answered my question.
Old 10-06-16, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nate Parker is doing more interviews to promote the film but he's also pissing more people off with his handling of the Rape thing. I've seen more women saying they won't go see this.
Old 10-06-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts

Oy vey. Imagine if we boycotted everyone with a dark past in the entertainment industry. We'll be standing around wondering where all the good art went.
Old 10-06-16, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,742 Likes on 2,685 Posts

I'm curious what triggered this mess. I mean Nate Parker doesn't have a big film resume and isn't that well known. I saw Beyond the Lights last year and thought he was terrific in it. He has great potential to be a star.

Obviously Parker has a dark past from when he was in college years ago, but he was found not guilty and wants to put it behind him. Yet the media somehow keeps bringing it up over and over again. Is it just because of the high publicity of this film and people are just seeking skeletons in his closet?

I get that he's probably really frustrated by how he's being portrayed in the media. His frustrations are probably sending some wrong signals and making him sound colder than he wants to be. But, this guy wasn't some psychotic serial rapist like the former football player Darren Sharper. That guy was a sociopath. He's a married father of five now and has moved on with his life.

I don't know the guy, but I'm not going to tear him apart over and over and consider him some kind of criminal when he wasn't convicted of anything.

I have Movie Money to see Birth of a Nation and depending on time, I'll probably try to see it.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-06-16 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-06-16, 05:31 PM
Banned

Sex and violence sells.

I haven't really read up on it. I don't really much of anything on the web really so.. there's that.
Old 10-06-16, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
We'll be standing around wondering where all the good art went.
Don't you guys do that in "TRANSFORMERS" threads?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.