Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's Doctor Sleep (2019, D: Flanagan) S: McGregor, Ferguson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's Doctor Sleep (2019, D: Flanagan) S: McGregor, Ferguson

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-19, 04:00 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
re: Stephen King's Doctor Sleep (2019, D: Flanagan) S: McGregor, Ferguson

Old 10-25-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
re: Stephen King's Doctor Sleep (2019, D: Flanagan) S: McGregor, Ferguson

The title should have the release year as 2019 not 2020.
Old 11-05-19, 10:16 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: Stephen King's Doctor Sleep (2019, D: Flanagan) S: McGregor, Ferguson

I'm looking forward to seeing this. It opens this week. I liked the book, but agree that it was only loosely connected with the original story.
Old 11-05-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm also looking forward to this since I just read the book last month (and liked it).
I'm also glad I wont have to see the trailers for it anymore, haha
Old 11-07-19, 08:06 PM

This was great. Excellent direction by Flanagan. He really knocks it out of the parking connecting it to the original. Fantastic acting. Rebecca Ferugson, wow.

Last edited by dex14; 11-07-19 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-07-19, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This was great. Excellent direction by Flanagan. He really knocks it out of the parking connecting it to the original. Fantastic acting. Rebecca Ferugson, wow.
Is reading the book required to enjoy the flick?
Old 11-07-19, 10:58 PM

I didn’t read the book, so I’d say no.
Old 11-08-19, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I didn’t read the book, so I’d say no.
Cool beans.
Old 11-08-19, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I haven’t read the book, but is there that much fan-service at the end regarding The Overlook? I still liked the film a lot overall, but the thriller-aspect that preceded the climax was is where all my praise is geared towards. Masterfully done.
Old 11-08-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

This one was a total misfire for me, even though I enjoyed one of the director's previous movies, Oculus. This one just felt overblown, formulaic and completely predictable. Couldn't really get into any of this movie's protagonists or their dilemmas. McGregor was the stereotypical drunk loser who has to sober up and face his demons in order to conquer the evil villains. Of course, he gets tempted by the offer of a drink later on, right? The little girl was too cocky and sure of herself for me to ever feel she was in any real danger. Her parents were just a waste of screen time and the little girl didn't even seem to care
Spoiler:
after her pops got murdered

Storyline had a derivative, simplistic "Good Shiners versus Evil Shiners" plot that brought back memories of the dreadful Sleepwalkers and far superior flicks like Near Dark. Yet, despite the simplicity of the overall plot, this thing was paced like an Antonioni movie -- it was stultifyingly slow and way too drawn out. One third of the movie seemed to be taken up with characters methodically explaining things to each other about what was going on, while another third was scene after scene of characters vaping.

The bad guys were practically immortal and had supernatural powers
Spoiler:
but are quickly wiped out by a couple of guys with rifles? Why does the blonde teenage girl turn to dust when she dies even though she didn't age hardly at all during the movie's running time?

And the friggin' musical score almost never seemed to shut up. It got to be thoroughly annoying after awhile how every scene was underlined with obnoxious, ominous music.

The best thing about the movie by far was Rebecca Ferguson, who was sexy as hell.
Spoiler:
The way her character was defeated was idiotic and disappointing, though. I mean, seriously, her character gets tricked over and over by the good guys in this film. You'd think at some point she would stop being so gullible.

Was surprised to find out that
Spoiler:
Elliott from E.T. played the Jack Torrance character in this film.

Last edited by dex14; 11-09-19 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-08-19, 11:54 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I hope to catch this next week on a relaxed night.

Last edited by story; 11-09-19 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-09-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
This one was a total misfire for me, even though I enjoyed one of the director's previous movies, Oculus. This one just felt overblown, formulaic and completely predictable. Couldn't really get into any of this movie's protagonists or their dilemmas. McGregor was the stereotypical drunk loser who has to sober up and face his demons in order to conquer the evil villains. Of course, he gets tempted by the offer of a drink later on, right? The little girl was too cocky and sure of herself for me to ever feel she was in any real danger. Her parents were just a waste of screen time and the little girl didn't even seem to care
Spoiler:
after her pops got murdered

Storyline had a derivative, simplistic "Good Shiners versus Evil Shiners" plot that brought back memories of the dreadful Sleepwalkers and far superior flicks like Near Dark. Yet, despite the simplicity of the overall plot, this thing was paced like an Antonioni movie -- it was stultifyingly slow and way too drawn out. One third of the movie seemed to be taken up with characters methodically explaining things to each other about what was going on, while another third was scene after scene of characters vaping.

The bad guys were practically immortal and had supernatural powers
Spoiler:
but are quickly wiped out by a couple of guys with rifles? Why does the blonde teenage girl turn to dust when she dies even though she didn't age hardly at all during the movie's running time?

And the friggin' musical score almost never seemed to shut up. It got to be thoroughly annoying after awhile how every scene was underlined with obnoxious, ominous music.

The best thing about the movie by far was Rebecca Ferguson, who was sexy as hell.
Spoiler:
The way her character was defeated was idiotic and disappointing, though. I mean, seriously, her character gets tricked over and over by the good guys in this film. You'd think at some point she would stop being so gullible.

Was surprised to find out that
Spoiler:
Elliott from E.T. played the Jack Torrance character in this film.

I am going this afternoon to see the movie, so I am not reading your spoilers. However, I have read the book and lot of your gripes can be traced to the source material. I am going to presume you didn't read the book, and I'm not going to be a snob who says you should. But all story issues you mention were created by King, not the filmmakers is what it appears.
Old 11-09-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I hope this scene from the end of the book makes it into the movie:
Spoiler:
Danny sees his father’s ghost and is able to get some closure from the events of The Shining.

See, that's something that IMO only works well in the book, as
Spoiler:
that version of Jack was a reasonable man who just had issues with alcoholism and was ultimately influenced by the ghosts and the hotel. King wrote a sequel to his own work, not the Kubrick film. The film version of Jack Torrance was way less sympathetic and never comes across as a good person, at least IMO.
Old 11-09-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Whoever was the casting director for this film did a SUPERB job because WHO KNEW:

Spoiler:
they would find Shelley Duvall, Scatman Crothers, Delbert Grady, Grady twins look-a-likes AND sound-a-likes??? And to figure out that Henry Thomas could not only be Norman Bates but also Jack Torrance? Bravo.

Also, did anyone else notice that the office of the guy who Danny found the wristwatch looked exactly like the office of the manager of the Overlook hotel in the first movie?.
Old 11-09-19, 02:01 PM

I don’t see how anyone couldn’t notice that.
Old 11-09-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If that’s the case, then that Easter Egg came out of left Field
Old 11-09-19, 03:34 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I loved the movie, it kept me engaged throughout. Perfect pacing, and it was faithful to King's book. As Dr. DVD said above, any complaints about the plot should be directed to King, not the film makers, but I had no problem wit the plot.
Old 11-09-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Really enjoyed this - fun to watch them tell the same basic story at the Dr. Sleep novel but tie it into the Kubrick movie. I was often like “oh that’s clever”. Liked it a lot!
Old 11-10-19, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught this yesterday. I have to say, in the case of both this and The Shining, I preferred King's version. That said, I feel Flanagan did the best he could given his somewhat interesting situation. The best decision he made was to not try and be Kubrick. Nobody is Kubrick other than Kubrick. The first movie was Kubrick's interpretation, and while I don't agree with its changes, it works very well on its own. Flanagan essentially takes the route of doing a straight forward adaptation of the Doctor Sleep novel for the first two-thirds of the movie, and then takes back to the version of the story with which many are familiar for the final act, and not surprisingly, therein occurred most of the changes with which I did not agree. But, I totally understood why they were made.

Spoiler:
I really liked the fact that he chose to give fans of the first book a shout out by basically taking the ending of that novel and putting it in to this movie. I find it interesting that the mortality rates of main characters is higher in the movie versions of King's stories than in the books. Both books end on way more optimistic notes, and I think the novel of Doctor Sleep was a bit smarter in what it did by keeping Abra at home and not taking her out into the path of danger. The ending they had of Danny coming back as an Obi-Wan type spirit (ironic given the actor portraying him) did work in the context of the movie, as it fit with what Dick told him earlier about teacher becoming the student and student becoming the teacher. But still, I liked the book's ending better as everyone got to live. I was sad to Billy Freeman die. Also, while her book ending wasn't that much better, Rose's demise seemed like a complete deus ex machina.

That said, it's enjoyable, but a lot of the first two thirds won't make much sense or mean as much if one hasn't read the book, so the adaptation quality is questionable in that regard. Acting was good all around, but unlike others who are gushing over Ferguson's performance, I felt she came across as less an evil cult leader and more like an upset yoga instructor. I am surprised Flanagan didn't try to get Carla Gugino for that role given his work history with her , but Ferguson got the job done.
Old 11-10-19, 11:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad to hear. With its slow BO, I was having second thoughts but will now probably go this evening. Thanks!
Old 11-10-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While the casting was great, I can't help but wonder what kind of approach Rob Zombie would have taken. His wife would have played Rose and Bill Mosley would have probably been Crow Daddy.

Rose: We gotta find that little fucking bitch with the fucking powers
Crow Daddy: How the fuck am I supposed to find her? She keeps bouncing her presence all over the fucking place. Can't we get our fucking steam from some other little bitch?
Old 11-10-19, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
See, that's something that IMO only works well in the book, as
Spoiler:
that version of Jack was a reasonable man who just had issues with alcoholism and was ultimately influenced by the ghosts and the hotel. King wrote a sequel to his own work, not the Kubrick film. The film version of Jack Torrance was way less sympathetic and never comes across as a good person, at least IMO.
The Jack Torrance in King's novel was as abusive alcoholic asshole who broke Danny's arm. And I'm sure that wasn't an isolated incident.

I've always found it strange that Nicholson and Kubrick's interpretation gets criticized for being too unsympathetic. When I read the book, I thought Nicholson was pretty spot-on with that kind of character.
Old 11-10-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I really enjoyed this. It's going to end up in my Top 10 of 2019 for sure
Old 11-10-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I forgot to mention that the theater was very sparsely filled. One older couple in front of me left with about 30 minutes left and another couple left with about 5 minutes left. I was like...really? You made it this far.

That’s too bad. It deserved to do better.
Old 11-10-19, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
That’s too bad. It deserved to do better.
Yea, WB must be dumbfounded. Maybe they should've opened it last weekend for Halloween.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.