Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How long did Yoda train Luke?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How long did Yoda train Luke?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-15, 02:05 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: How long did Yoda train Luke?

Originally Posted by fujishig
The adoption was a secret, so why treat her differently? And do they still call her Princess Leia in Empire and beyond? I honestly can't remember.
She's called Princess Lea a few times but mostly by Han in a mocking fashion in Empire (and in an enduring fashion before being frozen in carbonite), and some people in the Rebel Alliance, but I always thought it was just an honorary title at that point. However, at the end of A New Hope, she places medals on Luke and Han (nothing for Chewbacca, who's standing up there doing his growl, which I can only assume "Hey, what about me!?") like she's still royalty.
Old 12-17-15, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
She's called Princess Lea a few times but mostly by Han in a mocking fashion in Empire (and in an enduring fashion before being frozen in carbonite), and some people in the Rebel Alliance, but I always thought it was just an honorary title at that point. However, at the end of A New Hope, she places medals on Luke and Han (nothing for Chewbacca, who's standing up there doing his growl, which I can only assume "Hey, what about me!?") like she's still royalty.
https://youtu.be/YUXIz8C3028
Old 12-17-15, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

The adoption was a secret, so why treat her differently? And do they still call her Princess Leia in Empire and beyond? I honestly can't remember.

Lucas got way too cutesy with the prequels. In my mind as a kid, it was a rather straightforward storyline to turn Vader bad, and yet he had to introduce all these fan service moments (C3PO created by Anakin, r2d2 being his astromech droid, the clones coming from Jango Fett, Yoda being able to kick butt and then the horrid "romance"). It's a minor miracle that he didn't shoehorn Han or his parents into the prequels somehow.

I, too, had always thought growing up that Luke returned to Dagobah in between movies to train. In fact I think I was corrected in this forum. I mean he had time to go research, collect materials for, and build his own lightsaber, he couldn't go spend some time with Yoda?
There were actually plans for Han to be on Kashyyyk in ROTS as a youngster. It made it as far as art being created (it made the Art of Star Wars book for the film), but luckily, the idea was scrapped.
Old 12-17-15, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

There's the concept art for Han Solo in Revenge of the Sith.
Old 12-17-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
While talking about the Lars homestead why hide your only hope in the one place in the Galaxy where the ultimate evil may one day return.?
They hid him on a planet filled with the one thing that Vader hates more than anything...

Spoiler:
Sand
Old 12-17-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Yeah but can you be adopted in monarchy?
Don't apply Earth rules to a non-earth planet.

After all, Naboo had elected teenage queens.
Old 12-17-15, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucas got way too cutesy with the prequels. In my mind as a kid, it was a rather straightforward storyline to turn Vader bad, and yet he had to introduce all these fan service moments (C3PO created by Anakin, r2d2 being his astromech droid, the clones coming from Jango Fett, Yoda being able to kick butt and then the horrid "romance"). It's a minor miracle that he didn't shoehorn Han or his parents into the prequels somehow.

I, too, had always thought growing up that Luke returned to Dagobah in between movies to train. In fact I think I was corrected in this forum. I mean he had time to go research, collect materials for, and build his own lightsaber, he couldn't go spend some time with Yoda?
I still believe Luke returned to Dagobah between ESB and ROTJ. No way he would have been as strong or as confident when he shows up at Jabba's palace without having received further training.

His completion of the training would have been on the third and final visit to Yoda in ROTJ.
Old 12-17-15, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

All the SE changes and Lucas couldn't change old Anni's eye color or give him his little eye scar?

Old 12-18-15, 01:30 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

All the SE changes and Lucas couldn't change old Anni's eye color or give him his little eye scar?

He probably should have looked like Freddy Kruger after being horribly burned, but maybe the used the Force to heal himself or some medical treatment we were never made aware of.
Old 12-18-15, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

They should have shown Anakin recovering in a Bacta tank to mirror the scene with Luke in Empire.
Old 12-18-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't think they do. At least not at the beginning at Owen's Moisture farm. C3PO is doing a lot of translation early on. R2 never needs translation though, he clearly understands English. You'd think it would be easier to put a chip in R2 to let him speak English than require you to buy a second robot to allow you to communicate with the first.
In fact, why do you need to buy a 5'10" walking robot to translate at all? Wouldn't a smartphone with Google Translate work just as well?

Oh wait, I forgot -- nobody bought him anyway. He was built by a ten year old slave boy who managed to program a robot to communicate with tens of thousands of different computer languages and every spoken tongue.
Originally Posted by Paff
Didn't exist yet. Long time ago and all...
May have been a long time ago, but they understood modern toy/electronics marketing techniques!
Old 12-18-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In answer to OP's question the answer is, apparently, "not long enough."
Old 12-19-15, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Special relativity.

The Falcon, with its busted hyperdrive, could have been traveling at sublight speeds, so while only a few days or weeks might have passed for Han and Leia, Luke could have been training with Yoda for months or years.

The gist of special relativity is that the closer you get to the speed of light, the slower time moves for you. (See Interstellar.)
Yea, but since she makes .5 over lightspeed, does that mean that time went backwards for them??
Old 12-19-15, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

In Empire, Luke appears to be trained for about two days before going off to face Vader and in that time managed to pick up enough to at least flip around and high jump.

Then he doesn't complete his training at all.
I took the increase in Luke's abilities (the flips and such) were intended to show that he had been on Dagobah for many weeks (maybe even many months) by how much better he was getting. And that was also the amount of time it took the Millennium Falcon to get to Bespin.

Maybe TESB needed a training montage sequence like this to make it clearer
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q-8hOKNbtxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also think there was about a year between TESB and ROTJ in which Luke continued intense Jedi training on his own. (And Luke may have also returned to train more with Yoda on Dagobah during this time, but the fact that he didn't ask if Vader was his father until the Yoda scene in ROTJ makes that possibility seem unlikely.)
Old 12-19-15, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everytime I hear the montage song there I think of Transformers: The Movie. Sounds like it was by the same people.
Old 12-19-15, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Watching ESB and ROTJ the last few days, in ROTJ Luke mentions having a promise to keep before returning to Dagobah, referencing the promise he made to Yoda to return to complete his training. While it's cute to think he might have gone back and forth between the two movies, there doesn't seem to be anything to actually think thats the case.
Old 12-19-15, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

At the end of Return of the Jedi, did the Ewoks eat the stormptroopers?
Old 12-19-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

That would have actually redeemed the Ewoks, to see them soaked with blood ripping apart still-living stormtroopers and imperial officers like a pack of starving hyenas.
Old 12-19-15, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Actually, I was thinking they cooked them, like they were planning to do with Han Solo.
Old 12-19-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Maybe TESB needed a training montage sequence like this to make it clearer
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q-8hOKNbtxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1yLr15xVuBw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-19-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Until a review I read recently said it, I didn't realize that name "Ewok" is a kind of remix of the sounds in the name "Wookiee"

WOOKIEE

WOOK IEE

IEE WOOK

IEEWOOK

EWOK

How did I not notice this before?!
Old 12-19-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
Actually, I was thinking they cooked them, like they were planning to do with Han Solo.
The Ewoks were sick little motherfuckers. They were going to eat Han, Luke and Chewy after cooking them alive. They didn't even wait to shave Chewy and take Luke and Han's clothes off.
Old 12-19-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 841 Posts

After 20+ years, I also watched ep. 4-5-6 this week because my nephew wants me to go see the new Star War film next year. And well, huh... Let's face it, when you are no longer amazed by the operatic scope of the spectacle, you notice that, while the story is still engaging, a lot of stuff doesn't make much sense, and some of the dialog/acting is cringe inducing. Heck, I was more entertained by ep. 6, generally viewed as the worst of the 3, than the other 2 because it seemed to fully embrace it's goofiness.

Typical example of films that are more famous because of the impact they had on filmmaking than because of the quality of the actual films.

Another example:

- You'd think that after the first "run" of 3 fighters trying to blow the Death Star got destroyed from behind, and knowing that their fighters can't shoot backwards, they would have adjusted their strategy and, you know, asked for backup to get behind the enemy fighters.

- And when you build a second Death Star, make sure it has a similar design flaw as the first one.
Old 12-19-15, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Everytime I hear the montage song there I think of Transformers: The Movie. Sounds like it was by the same people.
Yeah... it's by Vince Dicola. Same dude.
Old 12-21-15, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Another example:

- You'd think that after the first "run" of 3 fighters trying to blow the Death Star got destroyed from behind, and knowing that their fighters can't shoot backwards, they would have adjusted their strategy and, you know, asked for backup to get behind the enemy fighters.
Yeah, why the fighter squads didn't figure out a better strategy during the battle seems dumb, but at least Han Solo did figure this out and the TIE fighters were like sitting ducks when he joined in.

Originally Posted by eXcentris
- And when you build a second Death Star, make sure it has a similar design flaw as the first one.
The main flaw with the Death Star II was being incomplete. Until the battle station was completed (with apparently well-protected exhaust ports ), it was defensively vulnerable. And that's why they had an energy shield generator on the forest moon of Endor to protect it during construction.

(Although they should've had more than just 1 energy shield station on the Moon - a backup station would've been a good idea )

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.