Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How long did Yoda train Luke?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

So, prepping for Force Awakens I started watching the Star Wars films in order. From what I gather, Jedi are found young, trained for decades and then become teacher's themselves, etc.

In Empire, Luke appears to be trained for about two days before going off to face Vader and in that time managed to pick up enough to at least flip around and high jump.

Then he doesn't complete his training at all.

Errr...midichlorians?
Old 12-16-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: How long did Yoda train Luke?

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
So, prepping for Force Awakens I started watching the Star Wars films in order. From what I gather, Jedi are found young, trained for decades and then become teacher's themselves, etc.

In Empire, Luke appears to be trained for about two days before going off to face Vader and in that time managed to pick up enough to at least flip around and high jump.

Errr...midichlorians?
Just apply the Inception time logic and you should be good.

2 Years on Dagobah = Two days in Bespin
Old 12-16-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Just apply the Inception time logic and you should be good.

2 Years on Dagobah = Two days in Bespin

That's still a shit tonne less that the "Chosen One"
Old 12-16-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Furthermore, what is Princess Leia princess of, exactly.

*Her mother wasn't Queen of Naboo when she was born
*Her adopted father was Senator of Alderan, wasn't he, not King?
*Even if her adopted mother was king she's still a falsehood to the Alderan monarchy?
*Wait, Leia doesn't remember her mother so the Queen died?
*Wait, when they blow up Alderan doesn't the Queen die? So, Leia is Fake Queen at that point?
*Wait, but there is no planet to rule so what is she fake princess/Queen of...space dust?

Maybe all this explains why she speaks with a British accent for half of the film...

Old 12-16-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

True, but the "Chosen One" didn't have 100% of Yoda's time. He was trained by Obi-wan (who didn't complete his trials) and he was pussy-whipped.

Luke pretty much joined the "Black Belt" club and was guaranteed to be a Jedi under Yoda.

.... I do get what you're saying though. That shit always bugged me because it was never explained.
Old 12-16-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
True, but the "Chosen One" didn't have 100% of Yoda's time. He was trained by Obi-wan (who didn't complete his trials) and he was pussy-whipped.

Luke pretty much joined the "Black Belt" club and was guaranteed to be a Jedi under Yoda.

.... I do get what you're saying though. That shit always bugged me because it was never explained.
Well, Luke really took to his two days of training even if he got his arm handed to him on Bespin. Take that Obi-wan!

Wait, Obi-Wan tells Luke Yoda trained him but Qui-Gon trained him.

Ohhh boy. I gotta' stop thinking of this.
Old 12-16-15, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

when yoda died, his jedi-ness passed to Luke like a magic potion!
Old 12-16-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
when yoda died, his jedi-ness passed to Luke like a magic potion!
Sounds kinky!

Jedi Juice!
Old 12-16-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Aren't Jedi required to be celibate? Don't they have to sublimate their passions into their lightsabers?
Old 12-16-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Yes, but look how that turned out ...

There is a cut scene that Lucas digitally recreated of Luke jacking into the Matrix and uploading Force files into his brain.

Here is the more important question that has been bugging me ... Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru were senselessly murdered in a spectacularly brutal fashion. Luke runs off immediately afterwards (not suspicious at all). What happened to the family farm? Is there an EU novel that deals with this cliffhanger? The courtroom drama over this property in probate would be phenomenal!
Old 12-16-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Do you think that the Tusken Raiders were specifically targeting Luke for what his father did to their people 20 years earlier? They likely knew that Luke lived at the same place as where that guy who killed all their people came from.
Old 12-16-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Luke, even in Return, sucked compared to most Jedis in the prequels. He was still better than their backup plan, Leia, who would've been trained by... nobody?

Did I mention how dumb it is to almost kill the emperor, then wait in hiding twiddling your thumbs until you're too old to do much while your enemies grow more powerful, putting your hope in a brash young kid who was older than Anakin AND similarly had his family brutally murdered AND was lied to about his father by the people he trusted the most. Yeah, that kid's not turning to the Dark Side. I know, I know, they had faith in the Force.

If Leia hadn't sent for help to Old Ben, would he have eventually trained Luke anyway, or just let the Dark Side win?
Old 12-16-15, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Why did the Death Star take the time to orbit the moon and not just blow it up to get to the rebel base?
Old 12-16-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

The rebel base was on one of the moons of Yavin, Yavin IV. So I think the DS was trying to get a clear shot of the moon which was on the other side of the planet. They probably could have just destroyed the planet itself which would have likely destroyed the moon at the same time

I'm not sure how far the DS was from it's targets. It had to be sufficiently far away to keep itself safe.

Also, does the DS travel through hyperspace? Or can it just shoot really far?
Old 12-16-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

When The Joker had everyone held hostage and dropped Rachel out of the window and Batman jumped to save her landing on the car and then it jumps to the next day what happened to the hostages? Did Batman call the Joker and his men a cab?
Old 12-16-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I just watched the Despecialized Editions of the original trilogy in preparation for The Force Awakens and I was also trying to get a sense of how much training Luke really had. Ignoring the prequels completely, there doesn't seem to be any indication of how long a typical Jedi's training lasts before one is considered "ready". As Jedi training is directly tied to harnessing the mysterious power of the Force, it seems like the required training for any particular individual could vary widely depending on how "strong the force is" with the individual.

The original trilogy doesn't really make the passage of time super clear, especially from one movie to another. What we know is that the force is very strong with Luke (maybe stronger than anyone else ever?), he begins his training under Obi Wan in A New Hope, continues for some unspecified period of time under Yoda in Empire, apparently grows stronger between Empire and Jedi (presumably with self-training/practice), and returns to Yoda in Jedi at which point he is deemed "ready" pending a confrontation with Vader. Although there is much that is vague, the vagueness actually allows his development as a Jedi to be pretty internally consistent.
Old 12-16-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Wait, Obi-Wan tells Luke Yoda trained him but Qui-Gon trained him.
Qui-Gonn is who he served his apprenticeship with. The actual schooling/training was with Yoda before that.

Last edited by GuessWho; 12-16-15 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-16-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

If A New Hope ended up being a one-and-done movie with no sequels, the whole lightsaber stuff with Luke--getting it handed to him & training with it on Falcon--would've been a huge waste of time since he never actually used it the rest of the movie.
Old 12-16-15, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Why did Han enter Endor using old codes to get past the Star Destroyer when he could have entered Endor from another location completely void of the Empire?
Old 12-16-15, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Errr...midichlorians?
http://scifi.stackexchange.com/quest...out-hyperdrive

So it took the Falcon a really long time to get to Bespin, and that whole time Luke was being trained.
Old 12-16-15, 06:13 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
If A New Hope ended up being a one-and-done movie with no sequels, the whole lightsaber stuff with Luke--getting it handed to him & training with it on Falcon--would've been a huge waste of time since he never actually used it the rest of the movie.
1. What are you talking about? He turns off his computer and uses the Force to blow up the Death Star at the end.

2. There was never really a time when there wasn't going to be a sequel. If the film hit they would make another big film, and if it had been a flop they were going to make Splinter of the Mind's Eye, a quicky cheap sequel that had already begun being scripted while they were finishing Star Wars.
Old 12-16-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

It's known as flawed narrative and bad editing.

#yourewelcome
Old 12-16-15, 06:38 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's known as flawed narrative and bad editing.

#yourewelcome
I'd acutally call it good editing because they paper over it so that it's barely noticed (I'm referring to the Luke/Degobah vs everyone on Falcon time disparity).

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-16-15 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-16-15, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't Star Wars 18 years after Sith? Looks like Owen, Beru aged 35. Obi wan aged quick too.
Old 12-16-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While talking about the Lars homestead why hide your only hope in the one place in the Galaxy where the ultimate evil may one day return.?

And if Luke was the only hope why did Yoda not want to train him (too old) and need to be goaded by Ben. You'd think he'd be like "about fucking time it is"

Why didn't obi wan start him young when he was at least on the same planet?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.