Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 08:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
You could argue that trying to save his son was heroic. It's just not heroic in the way that blowing up a Death Star is.
Originally Posted by onebyone
Nothing more heroic to me.
I don't think Han being a good father was ever in the cards. If Han was a good father Ren wouldn't have gone dark; if Han was a good father he wouldn't have then abandoned his wife, son, and humanity to go have fun being a scoundrel again; if Han was a good father he wouldn't have waited until that stupidly improbable moment to think he could turn Ren back. I mean, seriously, Ren had just been instrumental in destroying multiple planets and was seconds away from knowingly killing his mother and more planets. He really thought there was hope of redemption? I'd much rather have seen a Han shot first moment there.
Old 12-29-15, 08:20 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the more I think about it, the more I hope this theory is true

https://dorksideoftheforce.com/2015/...-fan-theories/
Old 12-29-15, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I don't think Han being a good father was ever in the cards. If Han was a good father Ren wouldn't have gone dark; if Han was a good father he wouldn't have then abandoned his wife, son, and humanity to go have fun being a scoundrel again; if Han was a good father he wouldn't have waited until that stupidly improbable moment to think he could turn Ren back. I mean, seriously, Ren had just been instrumental in destroying multiple planets and was seconds away from knowingly killing his mother and more planets. He really thought there was hope of redemption? I'd much rather have seen a Han shot first moment there.
We have no real idea if Han was a good father or not, and we have no idea why Kylo went dark. None of that has been shown to us. Certainly, people have gone bad before with very good and loving parents. Also, parents often think they can help their kids when others know better.

To each their own, but if they had Han shoot Ben after Leia asked him to try to save him, I think I would be this movie's number one hater. That's horrible.

Originally Posted by TGM

That's an interesting theory to be sure, and fills in a lot of questions I had. I really do not know what they are going to do with Kylo after this, but I am damn interested to find out.
Old 12-29-15, 08:54 PM

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Yeah... but then it's another redemption. We had Vader go that way. And then Ren too? Some people can't be saved... there's nothing wrong w/ that. I'd actually prefer he isn't saved. For him to have a struggle and maybe kind of bounce to the other side a bit but be to conflicted to do it.

Not everyone can be saved.
That isn't my theology. Oops, wrong forum.
Old 12-29-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

One thing that was awful was Han's death. Come on, he deserved something at least a bit more heroic than that.
I've seen this complaint multiple times now and I disagree completely. He died courageously trying to bring his rebellious son back. He knew there was a great risk in it and he did it anyway, because he genuinely believed there was still good in his son. Many would argue that is one of the most heroic things one can attempt to do. I also think it brings Han's character full circle and is consistent with who he has been throughout the Star Wars films. Although Han came around to helping out the "greater cause" of the rebels/resistance, he has always been very much about taking care of his own business first. His death came at the ultimate intersection of those two - a personal family matter that also had significant implications for the greater cause. The more I've thought about it, the more I think it was just about the perfect way for Han Solo's journey through these movies to be completed.
Old 12-29-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I didn't read any spoilers either, but to me, Han's death was a foregone conclusion from the moment it was announced that Ford was returning. I really don't believe he would have agreed to do the film otherwise.
This! I heard that he hates the Han Solo character and was paid a nice sum of money up front along with the promise that the character would be put to bed.
Old 12-29-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Snoke sucks and does every trilogy really need a twist? Just tell a good story in chapters and not worry about blowing us away with some reveal. That has already been done.
Old 12-29-15, 10:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I've seen this complaint multiple times now and I disagree completely. He died courageously trying to bring his rebellious son back. He knew there was a great risk in it and he did it anyway, because he genuinely believed there was still good in his son. Many would argue that is one of the most heroic things one can attempt to do. I also think it brings Han's character full circle and is consistent with who he has been throughout the Star Wars films. Although Han came around to helping out the "greater cause" of the rebels/resistance, he has always been very much about taking care of his own business first. His death came at the ultimate intersection of those two - a personal family matter that also had significant implications for the greater cause. The more I've thought about it, the more I think it was just about the perfect way for Han Solo's journey through these movies to be completed.
That would wrap it up quite nicely, but I disagree. That'd be incredibly inconsistent with his character, and, well, what I just wrote a few posts ago. But I'll try to drink the kool aid and focus on the positive. The two new leads are fantastic and the set-up for what may come next has me excited about SW again.
Old 12-29-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

That would wrap it up quite nicely, but I disagree. That'd be incredibly inconsistent with his character, and, well, what I just wrote a few posts ago.
I'm not following. Regardless of whether he was a "good" father or not (we don't really know), you don't view an attempt to bring back his son back from rebellion as being courageous or heroic? And what is it that you think is inconsistent with his character?

The two new leads are fantastic and the set-up for what may come next has me excited about SW again.
This I agree with 100%...especially Daisy Ridley as Rey. This movie would have died on the vine if that character didn't work and she knocked it out of the park.
Old 12-29-15, 10:51 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber
I doubt history would have been kind to Vader, regardless of what Luke and Leia thought or had to say. Certainly to most people in the galaxy (probably including Kylo's own dad), he'd be remembered as the genocidal maniac that slaughtered schools full of children and was an instrumental in the destruction of an entire planet, etc. To many, tales of him turning on the Emperor would probably be viewed as either rebel propaganda or obfuscated enough that his motives would be unclear. We know why he did it because we were there, but if you were just some factory worker in Cloud City and had maybe seen him come threw that one time, you might think it was a power play that had gone wrong, or whatever.
I suppose, in retrospect, history hasn't really been noticeably kinder to the sidekicks and underlings - especially not the KNOWN names, like the Goebbels', Himmlers, etc. - who "just follow orders"... so you're probably right. I just imagine that a persons parents and teachers would be a primary avenue for information - and those being the children of the person in question might well be kinder and more end-of-life focused..

Originally Posted by atxbomber
What Kylo would have learned and "known" about Vader is probably very different than what Leia and Luke would have tried to teach him, especially with Snoke somehow in the picture.
I supppse Snoke's appearance on the scene may be a key influence, yes.

Last edited by ntnon; 12-29-15 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-29-15, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by story
Yay, I'm just so happy that someone has interacted with my gigantic post! That said, I can't quite tell if you're giving me something new to think about or if you're agreeing with me.
It took most of a week, but I read everything here.

I think I was categorically disagreeing with you - you suggested that the prequels were indescribable in the context of thematic resonance, so (having not seen two of them probably in nearly a decade and the other under inopportune conditions) I tried to fill in the gaps for you. 'Now think on't. Dot dot dot.'

Originally Posted by story
I think Kylo Ren going as far as he did would break this theory for me. I know we've had heroes have to do some terrible things in order to not blow their cover before, but I'm not sure if that's the case here. If anything, I think there's a path for redemption in his future, though I'm not sure he'll get out of this trilogy alive, either. As for encouraging Rey, like I said in my original post, I think this is an impatient student desperate to be seen as the respected teacher and making a power grab more than trying to help her reach her potential.
That's why I used two recent and reasonably famous examples: Snape kills Dumbledore as part of an elaborate deception a d Jon Snow kills... Quorin Halfhand under similarish circumstances. Plus Kylo arguably seemed more conflicted over his action than either of those two let on.. anyway, just a thought for the melting pot.
Old 12-29-15, 11:44 PM

The worst parts for me, if forced to choose among the many, would be the bad guys. I pretty much cringed everytime Snoke, General Hux, or Kylo Ren were talking.
I was pretty underwhelmed by Kylo Solo, too - unlike most, it seems. Hux seems to be widely considered sub-par, and Snoke.... isn't really even in it. Isn't he/it in the film less than the underused Phasma..?!
Old 12-29-15, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by TGM

Huh. Someone finds it plausible..!
Old 12-30-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Michael Hiltzik in the L.A. Times:

"Admit it: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' stinks -- and here's why":

http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...26-column.html
Old 12-30-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Michael Hiltzik in the L.A. Times:

"Admit it: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' stinks -- and here's why":

http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...26-column.html
That is a terrible non-review and a waste of time reading it. You will find better criticism of the movie here in this thread. He just seems to be bitching about how big and mass marketed Star Wars is. There is barely any "critical" talk about the actual film (and trust me, this film deserves to be criticized).
Old 12-30-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'm not following. Regardless of whether he was a "good" father or not (we don't really know), you don't view an attempt to bring back his son back from rebellion as being courageous or heroic? And what is it that you think is inconsistent with his character?
Yeah. In all honesty I think that Han knew that there was a good chance something bad would happen to him by confronting Kylo and that he could possibly meet his demise. I think he did it out of his love for Leia for one thing because she wanted to believe that her son could be brought back and he may have had some of those feelings himself of wanting him to be brought back so they could be a family (or try to be) again. I don't think he went out bad at all.
Old 12-30-15, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
That is a terrible non-review and a waste of time reading it. You will find better criticism of the movie here in this thread. He just seems to be bitching about how big and mass marketed Star Wars is. There is barely any "critical" talk about the actual film (and trust me, this film deserves to be criticized).
Mostly, but he does highlight the (obvious) point that even the glowing reviews tend to point out just how dirivitive it is.

Actually, in all the reviews I've read - even the extremely glowing ones - there are two lines that repeat: "better than the prequels" and an excuse for/enjoyment despite being patterned after the original. The bar is stated to be set very low, and then a big flaw is acknowledged and dismissed. It's curiously standardised..!
Old 12-30-15, 10:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The actual death had a hollow punch of it to me, but Chewy's reaction gave me that emotional release that I wanted. Perfectly done
Old 12-30-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I just wish more "professional" reviewers would acknowledge the many plot holes and inconsistencies rather than just say, in a small print manner, that it's "derivitive" and continue to lavish praise on the work. It's not a "bad" movie and *is* a fun ride as long as you turn your brain off a while. It's not the "instant classic" people seemingly want it to be and not as good as it should have been considering Lucas was somewhat taken out of the process. With Abrams in charge, TFA is to the Star Wars universe as the new Star Trek movies are to the Star Trek universe: Pale imitations of the originals constucted from recycled plots with *just enough* new points and/or characters pasted on a rather generic action movie coupled with flashy effects to distract you from what's actually on the screen so you'll think it's better than it is. What you get is a watchable "popcorn" type flick with no lasting impact to the genre or franchise.
Old 12-30-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

I actually found this article a bit refreshing since everyone is saying it's Ep4 all over again.

http://mashable.com/2015/12/23/force...-is-no-remake/
Old 12-30-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
The actual death had a hollow punch of it to me, but Chewy's reaction gave me that emotional release that I wanted. Perfectly done
Like when Ewan McGregor did when Liam Neeson got killed in Phantom Menace? That's what that was - rebooted.
Old 12-30-15, 12:01 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Like when Ewan McGregor did when Liam Neeson got killed in Phantom Menace? That's what that was - rebooted.
Luke reacting to Obi-Wan's height loss
Old 12-30-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
So what exactly was he supposed to do? Just stand there and not react at all as his friend is killed? I get some of the complaints about things being re-done but this just seems like its reaching if you're being serious.
Old 12-30-15, 12:31 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Kylo Ren overreacts to everyday events.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FuL4fKoQ0UE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-30-15, 12:33 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So what exactly was he supposed to do? Just stand there and not react at all as his friend is killed? I get some of the complaints about things being re-done but this just seems like its reaching if you're being serious.
Agreed Was Obi-Wan was supposed to yell "Noooo! Bastard!" like from Back to the Future or something?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.