Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Man of Steel 2 - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Man of Steel 2 - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Man of Steel 2 - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That's the prblem with the DC cinematic universe: They won't commit to anything. They're taking it one or two movies at a time, waiting to see what characters audiences respind to, then putting stuff in development hell that they think might be a hit. It's like we're one underperforming movie away from them scrapping the whole universe.

There is very little will or vision behind it. They want to have a string of hits and the cash flow they're seeing Marvel/Disney raking in, and believe they need to do something similar with their own properties, but refuse to commit to it.

Shit, they have Ben Affleck as Batman and Jared Leto as the Joker, and they can't get a fucking Batman movie made. Whereas Marvel has been planning fifteen movies ahead; the first Black Panther movie is in the can, they're filming the third and fourth Avengers movies and the second Ant-Man movie.
You mean it's as if they secretly believe the comic movie bubble is going to burst soon and are trying to make as much money as possible right now? That's how I feel about them.
Old 11-20-17, 12:08 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

This article seems to indicate Cavill has one more left in his contract:

Henry Cavill on the secrets of Superman's return in 'Justice League'
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...119-story.html
Old 11-20-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Sign Vaughn to write and direct, please. Oh, and also give him final cut.
Old 05-31-19, 09:06 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

As recently as a year ago, Kingsman director Matthew Vaughn was rumored to be in talks to direct Man of Steel 2. However, in an interview with Polygon for Rocketman — which he produced, and stars Kingsman’s Taron Egerton — Vaughn said the film was “officially” no longer happening. The update affirms the report that Henry Cavill is no longer part of Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Films’ future film plans.

As the filmmaker explained, the pitch he’d presented with Mark Millar (whose comics Kick-Ass and The Secret Service Vaughn adapted into films) just didn’t fly. Millar has described how, in 2008, he and Vaughn pitched WB on a Superman film — the first in a proposed trilogy — that was “a massive, uplifting, hopeful thing,” but further details about the pair’s vision have been sparse. As Vaughn tells it, his Man of Steel 2 would have lifted many of the same ideas.

Speaking to Polygon, Vaughn revealed that the first film in the proposed trilogy was meant to take place almost entirely on Krypton, and focus on Jor-El and the impending explosion of Krypton. Though the alien planet would still face destruction, Vaughn and Millar’s take would have the event take place much later in the timeline, allowing Superman to grow up on his home planet and gradually become familiar with Earth, maturing into an adult before having to reckon with his loyalty to both planets.

Though the negotiations Vaughn was reportedly in have since dissipated, the filmmaker didn’t entirely rule out the possibility of returning to the DC universe. “It’d be hard to say no,” he said, of being offered the opportunity to helm a new Superman film.
https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/30/18...-vaughn-update
Old 05-31-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Probably for the best...
Old 05-31-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like henry as superman. damn they really messed up the franchise
Old 05-31-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Cavill was never the problem but a clean slate is needed.
Old 05-31-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Cavill got fucked over by all those shitty scripts, he was a great Superman
Old 05-31-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The fanboys fucked it up.

Wahhhhhhhh, Superman killed Zod, waaaaaaah!
Old 05-31-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The movies were shit. There's no reason to play it off like they weren't at this point.
Old 05-31-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Cavill will always be Superman to me.
Old 05-31-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Snyder was the problem. He's a fine visual director, but his take on Superman was always going to be controversial and polarizing. I think he lost fans with how Costner's death played out on screen and it all went downill from there. Cavill was better in the role than Routh, clearly embracing the character as much as possible.

I don't like a single thing in the Vaughn proposal. If they want to spend so much time on alien planets, give us a Superboy and Legion of Superheroes movie. Have the entire movie set in the future with dozens of alien species and exotic planets.

You know how you introduce the next Superman film? Give him a small cameo, in costume and kept completely secret during filming, in the next Batman movie.
Old 05-31-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
Cavill got fucked over by all those shitty scripts, he was a great Superman
Exactly. I don't think we're going to get a more perfect actor to play Superman any time soon.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The fanboys fucked it up.

Wahhhhhhhh, Superman killed Zod, waaaaaaah!
I doubt that. Look at all the heavy criticism that the Transformers movies got and the majority of them were all hits.
What about Suicide Squad? Fanboys complained about that one too, and it was still a hit that got green lit for a sequel.

Originally Posted by Mike86
The movies were shit. There's no reason to play it off like they weren't at this point.
Man of Steel wasn't shit. It has flaws, but it was a very good Superman movie.
Old 05-31-19, 06:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Fwiw, I’m in the Man of Steel was absolute crap camp. Loved Watchmen, and most DC films even over Marvel’s, but Snyder is crap without a master’s template to follow.
Old 05-31-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

Cavill and Affleck both were great in their roles but got screwed over with shitty films. Since they are starting over with Batman they need to do the same with Supes. And in this version don't have Pa Kent get blown away in a tornado.
Old 05-31-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
Man of Steel wasn't shit. It has flaws, but it was a very good Superman movie.
It’s roughly half a good Superman movie. It has a lot of problems, too many for me to call it a very good Superman movie.
Old 05-31-19, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Taylor Lautner would be a kick ass Superman. He would be the perfect choice to be the new Supes to go along with the new Batman.

Batman vs Superman II: Breaking Dawn.
Old 05-31-19, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

After seeing Bomer in Doom Patrol, I'd be totally on board with him as Superman. Reboot and put him in the role.
Old 05-31-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Except that they weren't. At least not Man of Steel. There's no reason to objectivize your opinion.
Old 05-31-19, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Except that they weren't. At least not Man of Steel. There's no reason to objectivize your opinion.
If they weren't then we wouldn't be where we are with half of the major characters being rebooted or shelved because the films were largely rejected by the public. My reply was also in response to someone claiming that whiney fanboys ruined the films, which really isn't true. If you like some of the films fine, but they were polarizing to many people to say the least and largely were not very well liked.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-31-19 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-01-19, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

It’s roughly half a good Superman movie. It has a lot of problems, too many for me to call it a very good Superman movie.
I can see that.

If they weren't then we wouldn't be where we are with half of the major characters being rebooted or shelved because the films were largely rejected by the public.
In regards to Man of Steel, I don't think that was generally rejected by the public. It seemed to be just as successful as Batman Begins, and in my opinion, just as many flaws.
In Man of Steel Pa Kent dies for no good reason, and Superman kills in his first outing.
In Batman Begins, Batman has a no killing policy, but has no problem blowing up the League of Shadows and killing most of the ninjas there. He lets Ra's die because he doesn't have to save him.

I think Synder was right to give us the Phantom Zone criminals in the reboot, because after the boring Superman Returns, audiences needed a superhuman slugfest to really show off Superman's abilities.
The Giger-esque Kryptonian technology was really cool.
Casting for Faora and Zod were spot on.
The muted color scheme made the film and the character feel more serious. I prefer the Superman's suit in Man of Steel better than the brighter one in Justice League.
Henry Cavill, perfect casting.
No Lex.

Old 06-01-19, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Dang. It.

Cavill was just as perfectly cast as Gadot. IMHO, just as good a Superman as Reeves. He was just never handed the right script.

Warner Bros/DC are idiots.

As a lifelong DC fanboy, how I wish DC had a cinematic universe on par with Marvel's. At this point we'd have a Dr. Fate standalone and the Metal Men would be household names like GOTG.

*sigh*

​​​​
Old 06-01-19, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I feel like if Man of Steel had been followed up by a better movie a lot of its flaws would have been overlooked, but instead it was followed up with BVS, which amplified MOS’s problems.

It’s like how I didn’t mind Batman Forever (lay off, I was 16), but once Batman & Robin came out BF retroactively became worse.
Old 06-01-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Still one of my favorite comic book movie scenes

Old 06-01-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Taylor Lautner would be a kick ass Superman. He would be the perfect choice to be the new Supes to go along with the new Batman.

Batman vs Superman II: Breaking Dawn.
Hmm... who could they get to become a new WW, who Batman and Superman can fight over?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.