Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Witch (2016, D: Robert Eggers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Witch (2016, D: Robert Eggers)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: The Witch (2016, D: Robert Eggers)

The Witch is a horror movie that will stand the test of time and be talked about an appreciated for decades to come. Similar to horror classics such as Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, and The Thing, it is immersive, thought-provoking, and scary at the same time. It was my favorite movie of the year as well, and especially impressive considering it was from a first time director.
Old 01-05-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's definitely a horror film, which is a genre like any other, capable of good movies and bad. There's nothing inherently bad about being a horror film.
Old 01-05-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
It's definitely a horror film, which is a genre like any other, capable of good movies and bad. There's nothing inherently bad about being a horror film.
Agreed. I wasn't trying to disparage the genre, because on the contrary I'm a huge horror fan.

It's just that when a film like The Witch comes along I feel a lot of folks will pass on it because of the genre preconceptions.
Old 01-05-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Agreed. I wasn't trying to disparage the genre, because on the contrary I'm a huge horror fan.

It's just that when a film like The Witch comes along I feel a lot of folks will pass on it because of the genre preconceptions.
And on the flip side, a lot of genre fans didn't like it it because it 'wasn't scary enough.' Expectations can work both ways and set viewers up for disappointment. Especially when critics start praising a movie. Either way I think it's a movie that people will talk about for years, and that's not a bad thing.
Old 01-06-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull

I did. I love unsettling or tense movies, but I'm not a big fan of gore.
Old 08-08-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Gave this one another viewing. Loved it in the theatre and loved it even more at home with the subtitles and proper framing.
The theatre framed it at 1.85 instead of 1.66 so the top and bottom was slightly cut off.

4.5/5