DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Spotlight (2015, D: Tom McCarthy) S: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/627944-spotlight-2015-d-tom-mccarthy-s-michael-keaton-mark-ruffalo-rachel-mcadams.html)

Solid Snake 07-17-16 10:25 AM

Re: Spotlight (2015, D: Tom McCarthy) S: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams

You mean.. beyond that this is based on a true story.. we know what's going to happen?

TomOpus 07-17-16 10:44 AM

Re: Spotlight (2015, D: Tom McCarthy) S: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 12852076)
Kind of predictable. You know what's going to happen and you just sit back and wait for it and it all develops without many complications in the story.

Of course it's predictable. It made world headlines. I was more fascinated with the nuts & bolts of how it unfolded. That's the movie.

fumanstan 07-17-16 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12852200)
Of course it's predictable. It made world headlines. I was more fascinated with the nuts & bolts of how it unfolded. That's the movie.

:up:

OldBoy 07-17-16 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12852200)

This.

Mabuse 07-17-16 01:25 PM

Yes, but like life, it didn't unfold in any kind of wiz-bang exciting revelatory way. It was very matter of fact and with no suspense. I would only recommend it with a couple of caveats to not have too high an expectation.

I'd recommend Doubt instead. Much more interesting film that leaves you with food for thought. It has character twists and unexpected revelations throughout.

EinCB 07-17-16 05:15 PM

I'd love to get this on Blu-ray, but I read that it has, like, 13 minutes worth of extras. Does Open Road Films usually do double dips?

Shannon Nutt 07-17-16 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by EinCB (Post 12852463)
I'd love to get this on Blu-ray, but I read that it has, like, 13 minutes worth of extras. Does Open Road Films usually do double dips?

It's being distributed by Universal on Blu-ray, but I don't think a single Open Road Films movie has ever double dipped. I wouldn't expect this one to, either. You might want to wait until it's under $10 again...I've seen it at $9.99 a couple of times since its release.

Double_Oh_7 07-17-16 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 12852076)
Kind of predictable.

Duh, as are all movies based on well-known scandals and events. It's all about the journey.

Mabuse 07-17-16 08:31 PM

I'd offer Zodiac as something based on well known events that's entertaining as hell. Titanic, The Insider.

inri222 07-17-16 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 12852585)
I'd offer Zodiac as something based on well known events that's entertaining as hell. Titanic, The Insider.

Tom McCarthy aint no David Fincher, James Cameron or Michael Mann.

Solid Snake 07-17-16 10:39 PM

I dunno about Titanic. I go for that one for the production cuz the story ain't all that hot.

fumanstan 07-18-16 12:42 AM

I was plenty captivated by Spotlight and how their investigation unfolded. I didn't really need any fancy tricks or editing to make it compelling.

EinCB 07-18-16 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12852475)
It's being distributed by Universal on Blu-ray, but I don't think a single Open Road Films movie has ever double dipped.

So when a Blu-Ray is re-released with extra content, it's usually at the discretion of a Blu-Ray's distributor, not the film production company that financed the movie?

Paff 07-18-16 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 12852307)
Yes, but like life, it didn't unfold in any kind of wiz-bang exciting revelatory way. It was very matter of fact and with no suspense. I would only recommend it with a couple of caveats to not have too high an expectation.

I had the same take on Spotlight. It was good, enjoyable, certainly very well made, yet I don't think it was Best Picture worthy.

However, oddly enough, you could say the EXACT SAME THING about Brooklyn (very matter of fact, little suspense), and I thought it was wonderful for the very same reason. I never felt I was watching a Hollywood story, instead I was just catapulted into this Irish immigrant's world, and I was captivated.

Funny how the "same ol same ol" can be run of the mill in one genre, yet completely refreshing in another.

inri222 07-18-16 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12852720)
I was plenty captivated by Spotlight and how their investigation unfolded. I didn't really need any fancy tricks or editing to make it compelling.

:up:

Shannon Nutt 07-18-16 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by EinCB (Post 12852742)
So when a Blu-Ray is re-released with extra content, it's usually at the discretion of a Blu-Ray's distributor, not the film production company that financed the movie?

I don't know that Universal DIDN'T handle everything for this release. Someone a little more 'inside baseball' will have to answer that question.