DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Spotlight (2015, D: Tom McCarthy) S: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/627944-spotlight-2015-d-tom-mccarthy-s-michael-keaton-mark-ruffalo-rachel-mcadams.html)

Decker 11-29-15 01:02 AM

Re: Spotlight (2015, D: Tom McCarthy) S: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams

Just watched it. Thought it was fantastic. Very compelling and not the downer you'd think given the subject matter. Ruffalo was amazing. Keaton was very good, but this isn't his Oscar winner. Seriously has Stanley Tucci ever been less than great in anything? That guy is awesome and SO under-appreciated.

johnnysd 11-29-15 05:35 PM

Re: Spotlight (2015, D: Tom McCarthy) S: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12656404)
Just watched it. Thought it was fantastic. Very compelling and not the downer you'd think given the subject matter. Ruffalo was amazing. Keaton was very good, but this isn't his Oscar winner. Seriously has Stanley Tucci ever been less than great in anything? That guy is awesome and SO under-appreciated.

No, Tucci has never been bad in anything.

One of the amazing things about this movie is it's restraint. It could have so easily be sensationalized or melodramatic or preachy but it was none of that. The director understood that just the facts and scope of what they discovered was enough to carry the film.

OldBoy 11-29-15 05:42 PM

Does anyone know or can prove if the voice on the phone that Mark Ruffalo kept talking to about the case is that of Richard Jenkins? I didn't see it on IMDb and didn't see the entire credits. But he has a very distinct voice and I'm pretty sure...

dex14 11-29-15 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 12656757)
Does anyone know or can prove if the voice on the phone that Mark Ruffalo kept talking to about the case is that of Richard Jenkins? I didn't see it on IMDb and didn't see the entire credits. But he has a very distinct voice and I'm pretty sure...

It was Richard Jenkins (who starred in McCarthy's previous film The Visitor).

OldBoy 11-29-15 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12656781)
It was Richard Jenkins (who starred in McCarthy's previous film The Visitor).

thanks. was it uncredited?

Solid Snake 11-29-15 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 12656753)
No, Tucci has never been bad in anything.

One of the amazing things about this movie is it's restraint. It could have so easily be sensationalized or melodramatic or preachy but it was none of that. The director understood that just the facts and scope of what they discovered was enough to carry the film.

I haven't seen the film so I can't say for its accuracy but...

the bolded part is something I see in a lot of films based on real events. As if the studio or the filmmakers don't believe that the event itself is exciting enough to maintain the audience's attention.

Though... how accurate is this film?

jfoobar 11-29-15 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 12656782)
thanks. was it uncredited?

Yes, not even mentioned as uncredited on IMDb (at least it wasn't after I saw the film a couple of weeks ago), but other sources confirm it was Jenkins.

jfoobar 11-29-15 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12656802)
Though... how accurate is this film?

By Hollywood standards, quite accurate:

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/spotlig...nalism-movies/

Osiris3657 11-29-15 10:43 PM

Excellent film, a definite candidate to win some awards.

Solid Snake 11-30-15 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 12656932)

Nice.

Dan 12-01-15 09:33 PM

Excellent film. I fear it'll be over looked though.

TheBang 12-04-15 03:40 PM

What a great film going deep on investigative reporting. Great performances from all the actors.

Wow, they even went for authenticity with the casting appearances:

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/spotlight/

Why So Blu? 01-04-16 06:48 PM

Just watched this locally and it was great. i'd say it's the spiritual cousin to All The President's Men in the sense of real folks working to break a monumental story. It showcases what real journalism used to be like once upon a time.

i didn't want to see it at first, because I didn't care to dig further as to what it was about but the GF kept asking for us to go, so I said fuck it. Glad I did.

Goes to show you that filmmakers have to pay to play. The director did some POS Adam Slander flick then followed it up with a masterpiece like Spotlight? Pretty fucking phenomenal.

Decker 01-04-16 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 12659047)
Excellent film. I fear it'll be over looked though.

I think you can put that particular fear aside.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1895587/awards?ref_=tt_awd

Dan 01-04-16 10:30 PM

I (mostly) meant overlooked by audiences, not critics. :)

But that's great! This film deserves all those awards.

Throwing Copper 01-05-16 11:51 PM

Kind of expected to see Keaton with more projects after Birdman's success. At least he has this film, and also plays the McDonald's founder, Ray Kroc, in The Founder, which comes out on Thanksgiving next fall.

mphtrilogy 01-30-16 11:16 AM

Just finished this one, great movie.

Cardsfan111 01-30-16 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 12656932)

Interesting article and pictures.

Caught this in the theater this afternoon and it was fantastic. Well deserving of the awards/nominations it has received.

Mike86 02-06-16 11:41 PM

Definitely a good film with a lot of great acting. I wanted to see this mostly for Keaton and while he was good I agree that Ruffalo was the standout in this. The subject matter probably makes a lot of people not want to see this but it was a good film exploring an investigation of a terrible scandal.

Mike86 02-07-16 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper (Post 12688801)
Kind of expected to see Keaton with more projects after Birdman's success. At least he has this film, and also plays the McDonald's founder, Ray Kroc, in The Founder, which comes out on Thanksgiving next fall.

I'm just glad to see him doing more films period. For the longest time he wasn't doing much at all and now we've gotten two great films from him in two years.

RichC2 02-07-16 08:04 AM

He took a few years off to go chase waterfalls, and came back a prestige actor.

EddieMoney 02-18-16 01:28 PM

Saw it the other night. Top notch, A+, entire cast hit home runs. Tom McCarthy is the man (with the exception of The Cobbler).

Throwing Copper 02-19-16 06:33 AM

Saw it again. So much better than most of the bullshit posing as Oscar material.

inri222 07-16-16 10:39 PM

Finally watched it, good stuff. Ruffalo & Keaton are good.

4/5

Mabuse 07-17-16 12:18 AM

Kind of predictable. You know what's going to happen and you just sit back and wait for it and it all develops without many complications in the story.