DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Spotlight (2015, D: Tom McCarthy) S: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/627944-spotlight-2015-d-tom-mccarthy-s-michael-keaton-mark-ruffalo-rachel-mcadams.html)

dex14 07-29-15 04:03 PM

Spotlight (2015, D: Tom McCarthy) S: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams

Michael Keaton and Mark Ruffalo won’t be silenced in the first intense trailer for their Catholic sex scandal drama “Spotlight.”

The film from director/co-writer Tom McCarthy tells the true story behind the Boston Globe’s investigation into child abuse in the Catholic Church. The group of journalists won the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service in 2003 after uncovering the local Boston Archdiocese’s massive cover-up of sexual abuse. “West Wing” scribe Josh Singer co-wrote the film, which has already generated plenty of awards buzz.

The Globe’s reporting eventually led to the resignation of Cardinal Bernard Law, who had hidden years of abuse by other priests, and yielded other revelations of molestation and cover-ups around the world.

The movie also stars Rachel McAdams, Brian d’Arcy James, John Slattery, Liev Schreiber and Stanley Tucci.

Open Road’s “Spotlight” will premiere at the Venice Film Festival and screen at the Toronto Film Festival. It hits theaters on November 6, will expand on November 13 and go wide on November 20.

<iframe width="670" height="377" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EwdCIpbTN5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/tr...ht-1201552559/

GoldenJCJ 07-29-15 07:32 PM

Re: Spotlight (2015, D: Tom McCarthy) S: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams

Damn, that's a hell of a cast!

dex14 09-03-15 08:19 AM

Re: Spotlight (2015, D: Tom McCarthy) S: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams

It’s not often that a director manages to follow his worst film with his best, but even if he weren’t rebounding from “The Cobbler,” Tom McCarthy would have a considerable achievement on his hands with “Spotlight,” a superbly controlled and engrossingly detailed account of the Boston Globe’s Pulitzer Prize-winning investigation into the widespread pedophilia scandals and subsequent cover-ups within the Catholic Church. Very much in the “All the President’s Men”/“Zodiac” mold of slow-building, quietly gripping journalistic procedurals, this measured and meticulous ensemble drama sifts through a daunting pile of evidence to expose not just the Church’s horrific cycles of abuse and concealment, but also its uniquely privileged position in a society that failed its victims at myriad personal, spiritual and institutional levels. The result may be more sobering and scrupulous than it is cathartic or revelatory, but with its strong narrative drive and fine cast, “Spotlight” should receive more than a fair hearing with smarthouse audiences worldwide.
http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews...al-1201580933/

RichC2 09-03-15 08:50 AM

That's cool, I don't get the hate for The Cobbler (outside of an awful last 5 minutes, I enjoyed most of the movie), but it'll be almost impossible to top my love for The Station Agent with anything.

"Smarthouse audiences", didn't think Variety could be more smug, I was wrong.

astrochimp 09-03-15 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12548682)
Damn, that's a hell of a cast!

Indeed!

Looks great.

Solid Snake 09-03-15 09:17 AM

Jesus. That's a fucking great cast. I'm all to see more Keaton doing Drama. Fuck. I'm so glad he's active in film again. He's been missed to be in a bigger spotlight.

Never even heard of The Cobbler.

Groucho 09-03-15 09:30 AM

The Cobbler is on Netflix for those interested.

inri222 09-03-15 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Variety
Very much in the “All the President’s Men”/“Zodiac” mold of slow-building, quietly gripping journalistic procedurals

This has me interested.

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12578260)

No thank you, I'd rather be tortured by the Spanish Inquisition.

pjflyer 09-03-15 09:54 AM

Tom McCarthy can do no wrong in my book.

Chose not to watch Cobbler.

Solid Snake 09-03-15 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12578260)

http://cdn.yourepeat.com/media/gif/0...c4a805fa13.gif

Decker 09-15-15 12:15 AM

From Hollywood Elsewhere :

Spotlight Slays Again — Easily The Finest, Most Crowd-Pleasing Best Picture Contender Yet

Tom McCarthy‘s Spotlight hit a grand slam with everyone who attended Monday night’s Princess of Wales’ screening — hearty cheers, whoo-whoos, crowd on its feet. Everyone was in love — you could feel it all over. And then McCarthy and the brilliant ensemble cast — Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams, Brian d’Arcy, John Slattery and Liev Schreiber — came out on-stage with the real-life, real-deal Boston Globe guys they play in the film — ‘Spotlight’ editor Walter “Robby” Robinson (Keaton), Globe reporters Michael Rezendes (Ruffalo), Sacha Pfeiffer (McAdams), Matt Carroll (d’Arcy), former managing editor Ben Bradlee, Jr. (Slattery) and former Globe editor Marty Baron (Schreiber).

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cTYTMCBa1sw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And then Ruffalo delivered an impromptu “thank you, hats off” speech to the real-deal guys (above), and everyone was just delighted and laughing and applauding. A total bliss-out.

Spotlight (Open Road, 11.6) is a drop-dead guaranteed hit. Even, I predict, with the dumb-asses who tend to prefer escapist CG slop to smart movies. Every sector of the audience is going to be won over because it makes you feel good and proud all over. This is one brilliant film about tenacious good-guy journalists accomplishing a truly good, heroic and compassionate thing in a thorough, uber-professional way — what’s not to applaud? Best Picture-wise Spotlight is the movie to beat right now . That’s not to say that some film won’t come along and beat it, but no other contender I’ve seen this year delivers quite as well.

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/i...5/spotcrop.jpg
(l. to r.) Walter “Robby” Robinson, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Sacha Pfeiffer, Matt Carroll, Brian d’Arcy, Tom McCarthy.

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/i...otgangclap.jpg
(l. to r.) Baron, Slattery, Bradlee, Rezendes, Ruffalo, Robinson, Keaton, McAdams, Pfeiffer, Carroll, d’Arcy, McCarthy.

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/i.../spotcrop2.jpg
(l. to r.) Marty Baron, John Slattery, Ben Bradlee, Jr., Michael Rezendes, Mark Ruffalo.

From my 9.6 Telluride review: “I was so happy and delighted with Spotlight that 20 minutes after it began I was telling myself I want to see it again. I was getting such a gripping, step-by-step, mother’s milk high that I really wanted to double up on it. This is what a pleasurable experience does to you. It makes you a little nuts.

“This is a fact-based procedural (set in ’01 and early ’02) about a team of Boston Globe journalists going after a Boston archdiocese and a political network of Catholic-kowtowing flunkies who were either ignoring or protecting child-molesting priests. It’s directed in such a clean and unobtrusive manner and acted in a not-too-forced, just-right fashion by everyone top-to-bottom (Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams, Liev Schreiber, Brian d’Arcy, John Slatery, Gene Amoroso, Jamey Sheridan, Stanley Tucci, Billy Crudup…a knI ckout cast) that right after it ended I tweeted as follows: ‘It sounds distasteful to say this given the root subject matter, but Tom McCarthy‘s Spotlight is pure pleasure…totally gripping stuff.’

“Spotlight is the best pure-journalism flick since All The President’s Men. It’s completely familiar and by-the-book, and yet immensely smart and engagingly complex and quite satisfying. It runs 128 minutes, and I was feeling so engaged and fulfilled that I would have been totally okay with a three-hour running time. It’ll definitely be a hit with Joe Popcorn, critics, Academy and guild members, 75 year-olds — nobody is going to give it a thumbs-down.”

Trickshot 09-15-15 05:04 AM

Wow! That has to be t-h-i-s close to a dream cast. Proper actors. Looks like it will be one heck of a film.

Dr. DVD 11-22-15 11:16 AM

Surprised this thread hasn't received a bump . Going to see it this afternoon and it's currently sitting at 97% on RottenTomatoes.

OldBoy 11-22-15 12:03 PM

i want to see this so bad, but alas...

Defiant1 11-22-15 06:14 PM

I saw it a couple of weeks ago. Didn't know there was a thread for it. Absolutely incredible film. The director could have easily have milked it for melodrama, considering the subject matter, but he didn't. Acting across the board was fantastic. No flash or hamminess, just solid, truthful performances. The movie is also a love letter towards the dying art of investigative journalism, and how important it is to society.

Dr. DVD 11-22-15 06:45 PM

Saw it. Great movie that never really loses momentum. If Ruffalo doesn't get a Best Actor nod something is wrong. While not really a spoiler

Spoiler:
the end credits sequence of all the cities with offense claims against the church was powerful. Very punch to the throat ending.

dex14 11-22-15 08:40 PM

I will be seeing this tomorrow.

Throwing Copper 11-23-15 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Defiant1 (Post 12651563)
I saw it a couple of weeks ago. Didn't know there was a thread for it. Absolutely incredible film. The director could have easily have milked it for melodrama, considering the subject matter, but he didn't. Acting across the board was fantastic. No flash or hamminess, just solid, truthful performances. The movie is also a love letter towards the dying art of investigative journalism, and how important it is to society.

I can't wait to see this movie. So happy Keaton is getting good roles now. Your last sentence is important, too.

jfoobar 11-23-15 03:25 PM

Saw it Friday night. Not a weak performance across a very large cast. The script, from what I understand, stays unusually faithful to the actual events. This may ultimately hurt its box office since it is a little short on Hollywood thrilling moments.

Mike86 11-23-15 05:47 PM

Want to see this. So glad that Keaton is doing more films again.

Blade 11-24-15 12:22 AM

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertai...stices_claimed

Still looking forward to seeing this. I wonder what will happen with this story though. If correct it seems like Dunn has a pretty decent defamation case here.

OldBoy 11-26-15 10:04 AM

psyched...i'm seeing this tomorrow.

Solid Snake 11-26-15 10:11 AM

Nice. My Cinemark got it. Trumbo too. Not sure if I'll watch that one. But Spotlight for sure.

OldBoy 11-27-15 02:10 PM

Wow, this was good. The performances were just incredible. Had me absolutely riveted. Well done by all!

johnnysd 11-28-15 06:56 PM

Easily best film I have seen this year, it was completely engrossing and powerful and the ensemble acting was fantastic. Will take an amazing film to be better than this one.