Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

My evaluation of the PT and ST as part of the Saga. The PT are heavily flawed movies that still make the OT better from a macro sense (it opens up the galaxy showing the Republic, The Jedi Council, The Rise of Palpatine). The ST are entertaining/better executed movies that make the OT worse because it pretty much reboots the story (Resistance vs First Order, The OT characters are failures from a certain POV, and the return of Palpatine may ruin ROTJ).
Old 09-08-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
My evaluation of the PT and ST as part of the Saga. The PT are heavily flawed movies that still make the OT better from a macro sense (it opens up the galaxy showing the Republic, The Jedi Council, The Rise of Palpatine). The ST are entertaining/better executed movies that make the OT worse because it pretty much reboots the story (Resistance vs First Order, The OT characters are failures from a certain POV, and the return of Palpatine may ruin ROTJ).
Yep I agree completely. The prequels and the sequels suffer from almost polar opposite issues. The prequels tell a good story, but are plagued by an over reliance on CG and questionable to bad acting/poor dialogue from many involved. The sequels are better from the stance that they’re overall better made in terms of mixing practical effects with CG and not using it for everything and the acting by most is better (I do think a lot of the First Order officers like Hux overact to the point of being ridiculous). The sequels ultimately suffer from a story that so far isn’t strong and feels in ways like a regression for the characters in the Original Trilogy.
Old 09-08-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

Yep I agree completely. The prequels and the sequels suffer from almost polar opposite issues. The prequels tell a good story, but are plagued by an over reliance on CG and questionable to bad acting/poor dialogue from many involved. The sequels are better from the stance that they’re overall better made in terms of mixing practical effects with CG and not using it for everything and the acting by most is better (I do think a lot of the First Order officers like Hux overact to the point of being ridiculous). The sequels ultimately suffer from a story that so far isn’t strong and feels in ways like a regression for the characters in the Original Trilogy.
Sorry, the Prequels do NOT tell a good story. It’s about trade embargoes and council meetings and reduces the mysticism of the Jedi to a genetic condition. Anakin escalates to child murder only because he HAS to become Darth Vader before the end of the 3rd film. The whole thing is pointless and stupid.
Old 09-08-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Speaking of pointless and stupid...how about that The Last Jedi movie?

The Prequels are awful films but The Last Jedi only exists so that the Holiday Special isn't the worst thing Star Wars related.
Old 09-08-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven

Sorry, the Prequels do NOT tell a good story. It’s about trade embargoes and council meetings and reduces the mysticism of the Jedi to a genetic condition. Anakin escalates to child murder only because he HAS to become Darth Vader before the end of the 3rd film. The whole thing is pointless and stupid.
It isn’t executed the best, but I think it’s a pretty good story. Yes the political aspect isn’t the most interesting on the surface, but it’s more about Palpatine’s manipulation of everybody so he can eventually overthrow the system and become Emperor and bring the Sith back to prominence. Add in the tragedy of Anakin’s rise and fall. There’s a point to the story being told and it adds to the backstory of the Original Trilogy. I don’t think the films are great don’t get me wrong. I just think the potential for a good story is in the prequels.
Old 09-08-19, 01:26 PM

I said the Macro story was good/interesting as I didn’t mention Anakin’s story as that was poorly executed. If you think the PT is about trade embargoes and council meetings than you deserve the retreaded OT story for the ST.

The PT and OT are essentially Palpatine’s plan that plays out over 6 movies about his rise from Senator to Ruler of the Galaxy. The irony is the one disciple he picks (Darth Vader) eventually brings him down because his son becomes the hero of the Saga. And the father ends up saving him.

But I guess you’re happy with more Resistance vs First Order stuff and another Skywalker going bad, along with the return of Palpatine in the ST as it’s the SAME story we saw over the 6 previous movies.
Old 09-08-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

There are a few plot problems with the Prequels and yes the acting is horrid in several places but they don't ruin the OT if watched as a six film series. The Sequel Trilogy (so far) does however ruin the OT if watched as a six films, skipping the prequels, or as an eight film saga. I am still hopeful that Abrams can salvage it all.

Also at this point you can't even discuss what you don't like about the Sequel Trilogy, TLJ in particular, because you just get the same responses that make no sense along the lines of "well, Yoda and Obi-Wan ran away and hid" so just doing a drive by with smart ass comments will have to do for now. It is also funny how the same TLJ defenders sure are fast to point out how awful the Prequels are though.
Old 09-08-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think so much of the problem with the prequels is knowing that the story was basically there and just had to fill in some of the gaps but fell flat in so many ways. There’s some good things in the films and a lot of good ideas. Biggest problem is that Lucas didn’t have anyone to reel him in on a lot of the stupid decisions he made.
Old 09-08-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Yeah, the nuts and bolts of the prequel trilogy are solid, it just fails in the execution: over-reliance on CGI makes it look a video game, some atrocious acting, Jar-Jar Binks, Anakin as an eight year-old, cringey dialog.

Lucas should have stuck with producing the PT and let others write and direct it while he oversaw it.
Old 09-08-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, the nuts and bolts of the prequel trilogy are solid, it just fails in the execution: over-reliance on CGI makes it look a video game, some atrocious acting, Jar-Jar Binks, Anakin as an eight year-old, cringey dialog.
Which nuts and bolts are solid exactly? It's poorly-written, poorly-acted, poorly-directed and feels like it takes place in a different aesthetic universe than the original trilogy. It's hard for me to identify any elements that are solid.

Old 09-08-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Also at this point you can't even discuss what you don't like about the Sequel Trilogy, TLJ in particular, because you just get the same responses that make no sense along the lines of "well, Yoda and Obi-Wan ran away and hid" so just doing a drive by with smart ass comments will have to do for now. It is also funny how the same TLJ defenders sure are fast to point out how awful the Prequels are though.
Yeah, you're right, TLJ haters never do a drive by with smart ass comments and always engage in thoughtful, good faith discussion.
*cough* *cough*
Originally Posted by stvn1974
Speaking of pointless and stupid...how about that The Last Jedi movie?

The Prequels are awful films but The Last Jedi only exists so that the Holiday Special isn't the worst thing Star Wars related.

Old 09-08-19, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
feels like it takes place in a different aesthetic universe than the original trilogy. It's hard for me to identify any elements that are solid.
It was designed by Lucas that way as the PT was supposed to be an era before the dark times, before the Empire. That’s why everything is shiny and nice while everything in the OT world is beaten down and used from tyranny for 20 years. Now I don’t agree with Lucas excessive use of CGI as I think he could have accomplished the same look with more real locations and sets.

I can’t believe you guys are making me defend the PT as I think the movies are pretty bad, but I respect what Lucas was going for. I think as individual films, TFA & TLJ are much better films than TPM, AOTC & ROTS. But I have no faith that JJ will tie the ST or the Saga together in TROS, and that is what this argument is about. We are talking purely story/narrative as the PT is light years ahead of the ST. If you’re talking quality of the movies, then the ST is light years ahead of the PT.

Old 09-08-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was designed by Lucas that way as the PT was supposed to be an era before the dark times, before the Empire. That’s why everything is shiny and nice while everything in the OT world is beaten down and used from tyranny for 20 years. Now I don’t agree with Lucas excessive use of CGI as I think he could have accomplished the same look with more real locations and sets.

Oh, I know what Lucas' intentions were with it. He just failed miserably both in design and execution of that concept. Being "shiny and nice" is one thing, but there is virtually no aesthetic through-line whatsoever to make the PT designs feel like earlier, less worn versions of what we see in the OT. And in execution, the overuse of CGI and lack of practical models further exacerbates the problems inherent in the design, because not only is it aesthetically off to begin with, but it feels cartoonish rather than tangible.
Old 09-08-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I do love how all the "shiny" tech of the Prequels goes completely in the shithouse in less than 20 years.

Want an exercise in insanity? Count how many times Anakin calls Kenobi "Master" in ROTS. It'll drive you crazy. God those movies are so bad.
Old 09-08-19, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched Revenge of the Sith a couple weeks back and didn’t notice that. I’m sure he says it but it wasn’t distracting to me.
Old 09-08-19, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
I just watched Revenge of the Sith a couple weeks back and didn’t notice that. I’m sure he says it but it wasn’t distracting to me.
There are scenes where he says it multiple time back to back. It's so stupid and poorly written. That and Anakin's constant "m'lady"'s to Padme are the worst
Old 09-08-19, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are scenes where he says it multiple time back to back. It's so stupid and poorly written. That and Anakin's constant "m'lady"'s to Padme are the worst
There’s no doubt cringed dialogue I agree. That movie is fairly watchable though. I actually enjoyed it more than I remembered this last time watching it. To be fair to the first two I don’t think it’ll change my opinion much, but I haven’t watched them all the way through in ages. Last time I saw either was when TNT was playing a marathon a few years back and I wasn’t fully paying attention.
Old 09-08-19, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh, I used to think ROTS was the best of the three, just rewatched it recently and it's far worse than I remembered. Everything with Palpatine is ridiculous, old men leaping around fighting with lightsabers looks stupid and Grevious is laughable at best. McGregor's Kenobi is the only worthwhile thing in that movie. Thank goodness he's getting a series - he's the only worthwhile thing to come out of the prequels.
Old 09-08-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Palpatine was the best part of the PT.

Maybe he can save the ST.
Old 09-08-19, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ranger
Palpatine was the best part of the PT.

Maybe he can save the ST.
I think bringing him back is the worst thing they can do with a trilogy I have thoroughly enjoyed. He's so over the top in the PT - I was reminded how stupid it looked when he somehow lightninged himself into old age
Old 09-08-19, 10:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Eh, I used to think ROTS was the best of the three, just rewatched it recently and it's far worse than I remembered. Everything with Palpatine is ridiculous, old men leaping around fighting with lightsabers looks stupid and Grevious is laughable at best. McGregor's Kenobi is the only worthwhile thing in that movie. Thank goodness he's getting a series - he's the only worthwhile thing to come out of the prequels.

Old 09-08-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Why would you hire Edgar Wright specifically to put a different spin on a known character (Ant-Man) and when they give you that different spin and it doesn't fit you fire them? And why would it take you 8 years to figure that out?
But that's exactly my point. It never got that far in development and is a good example of the difference between what's going on at Lucasfilm and Marvel. They are very similar situations but one ended up in a possible loss of profits and overall disappointment with it's sequel (presumably) canned and the other a surprise hit spawning at least one sequel and 3 other appearances for the character.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Marvel's MCU "game plan" wasn't that intricate at the beginning. It was basically "let's do a bunch of standalones, and then maybe we'll team them up in a single film." Avengers could've been cancelled at any point and it would've been fine, because the previous films had only the most basic of interconnection, typically an after-credits scene. Hell, the Tony Stark cameo in The Incredible Hulk doesn't even make sense from a continuity standpoint by the time The Avengers came out. Phase Two did have some fallout from The Avengers, but were otherwise standalone movies again. It wasn't until after Avengers 2 that you started seeing title characters appearing in other title characters' "standalone" films.

You forgot Patty Jenkins being fired from Thor 2.

Marvel Studios decided in 2004 to start producing their own films. It took them 4 years to get their first movie released. They had decent sized hits, but nothing in the billions. It took them 8 years before they had to tie any of their films to another with the first Avengers movie.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Studios#Production

Meanwhile, Lucasfilm put out their first new movie within 3 years of being bought by Disney, and it was the start of a trilogy. Yet they still released 3 movies in 3 years that were all $1+ billion hits. Solo was the only flop, critically and financially, and while TRoS has had some behind-the-scenes issues, we don't know what the finished film will be. You talk about righting the ship and staying the course, but forget that Marvel has been making the MCU for over twice as long as Lucasfilm has been making films for Disney. Lucasflm hasn't had time to show that it can right the ship, since it hasn't released a film since its first slip-up (or, if you think TLJ was their first slip-up, since before their pair of slip-ups 4 months apart).
You're absolutely right about Marvel. They have had more time. There wasn't much of a connection in the beginning, but I argue that that is more because they weren't sure about their success and following movies rather than lack of planning on their part. But that's all the more reason to find it absolutely baffling that they didn't plan out the story for the trilogy that they were tasked in creating. Feige and the Marvel camp, even though it was LESS critical for their movies to connect since they still pretty much stand on their own, still managed to connect all the movies together with just a little bit of planning and one or two added scenes. Meanwhile at Lucasfilm they can't even plan out three movies to have a coherent story. Now I will not pass final judgement until the last movie comes out, because like the OT it could still work out with little planning. However, as it stands now it seems like they are just making up each movie as it comes along with different directors trying to put their own stamp on things and the story is (IMHO) suffering because of it.

I think your point about a condensed timeline does point a lot of the blame on Disney as well as it seems they are the ones who mandated the whole one Star Wars movie a year thing.
Old 09-08-19, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

I really think you explained how I feel about it. The PT didn't "ruin" the OT. I'll hold off how I feel on the ST until RoS. I'm still hopefully optimistic. I can't believe it's only 3 months away.
Old 09-09-19, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
But that's exactly my point. It never got that far in development and is a good example of the difference between what's going on at Lucasfilm and Marvel.
Yes, because Marvel wasn't under a "1 film per year" mandate, and had a deep well of possible characters to pull from, not to mention producing sequels of characters already with movies. As Edgar Write notes in this timeline of Ant-Man production, Ant-Man “isn’t one of [Marvel’s] biggest properties, it’s not like a tentpole deadline.” Marvel had a bit more wiggle room to figure things out in pre-production, instead of Lucasfilm's situation where they had to greenlight a lot of films fast, and hope for the best. Still, they did eventually fire Edgar Wright specifically because his "different spin" turned out to be too different from what they wanted or expected, and couldn't reconcile the differences even after 8 years.

They are very similar situations but one ended up in a possible loss of profits and overall disappointment with it's sequel (presumably) canned and the other a surprise hit spawning at least one sequel and 3 other appearances for the character.
I'm not sure I'd call Ant-Man a "surprise hit," since it's the 3rd lowest grossing MCU film, at least domestically. Worldwide its... 4th lowest grossing. Solo actually performed better than Ant-Man domestically. What probably saved Ant-Man is that it had nice foriegn revenue, and Marvel saw potential with the character and cross-over capabilities.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franch...d=avengers.htm

But that's all the more reason to find it absolutely baffling that they didn't plan out the story for the trilogy that they were tasked in creating.
I really find if baffling that people think that planning out the story before filming would've meant a trilogy they liked better, especially before they even see the conclusion. Lucas was crafting the story for the OT and the PT on the fly as the OT was being produced (the PT story was the backstory in OT). There's lots of inconsistencies in the OT films, and what we know now as a lot of retconning of plot points and characters in later films from what was originally "planned" or conceived. However, the whole came together well enough that people overlook the flaws. Meanwhile, the PT had the basic story handed to it pre-planned based on the development during the OT, and it was a trash fire.

Say they did plan the ST ahead of time. Who's to say they wouldn't have brought in Rian Johnson for that planning, and he lays out an Ep 8 storyline that's largely the same as TLJ, and Lucasfilm love it, and since he's not busy filming, have Rian craft Ep 9 as well. Now, maybe Ep 7's story gets tweaked, but if RJ/Lucasfilm like the Snoke/Rey's parents twists enough they maybe just keep them as "mysteries" in Ep 7. So in this "plan ahead" scenario, Lucasfilm is committed to Ep 9 following RJ's vision. Would that be preferable to you?

Feige and the Marvel camp, even though it was LESS critical for their movies to connect since they still pretty much stand on their own, still managed to connect all the movies together with just a little bit of planning and one or two added scenes.
And you don't think adding a scene or two of very loose connectivity is much easier than crafting a movie trilogy? Hell, the most MCU has done is a two-parter.
Old 09-09-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack

Look, no one got out of the Prequels completely intact

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.