Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Mike's idea is really close to Timothy Zahn's "Thrawn Trilogy" that kicked off the old EU in the early 90s. I would kind of tend to doubt they would use plot points from that story to incorporate into the sequel trilogy. With TFA, they really went out of their way to separate the Disney movies from the old EU, so it would be kind of weird to utilize the severed hand being used to clone Luke element from those books. But you never know.
Oh cool, I really need to read that series. I don't think they are distancing themselves from the EU. I think people mistake Disney's motivation for making the EU nonCanon. They just wanted to start a clean slate since for them to recognize the EU and then try to plan a new trilogy without stepping on some kind of EU plot landmine would be cumbersome They weren't saying the EU is trash or that they would never use elements from the EU. They just wanted to make the ST unemcumbered.
Old 08-26-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,034 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yo, 3PO looks blazed, dude. He been hittin' that space ganja.
Old 08-26-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Re: Darth Rey

I like the dream theory. Makes sense.

I was thinking about the Jedi Academy books. The spirit of Darth Exar possesses Kjedi student Kyp. IIRC, Darth Exar was the first Star Wars character to have a double blade lightsaber.

Thrawn trilogy did have Luke fighting a clone of himself.

Also from the Jedi Academy books IIRC, Kyp goes to a Magic Tree-like area and sees a dark figure of himself but doesn't attack it. He just fearlessly stared at it until it disappeared. I think Yoda would call that passing "the cave test.."

I should check out Dark Empire.
Old 08-26-19, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

This trilogy managed to both rely on nostalgia too much, and leave no one satisfied in the way they did it. TLJ is a very watchable film, it's just such a terrible 2nd act of a trilogy - because it could be summed up in it's own opening crawl "the resistance has found a new base on the remote planet of...." It didn't move the narrative for the new story or characters - as evidenced by two of them meeting for the first time at the end of the film. And we don't really care about the story going into this last chapter... it might in fact be very cool, but we'll be left wishing it would've covered two episodes, instead of being crammed into one.

While some of the new shots looked cool...I just kept asking myself..."will I even care?" One hundred star destroyers lined up in a row just isn't impressive....a goofy looking lightsaber isn't impressive.
Old 08-26-19, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,710 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Thought the trailer looked great. Don’t really care about any of the theories - sounds like a lot of people wanting the movies to be the way they planned in their head and being proactively angry that they aren’t going to be that way.
Old 08-27-19, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 345 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Thought the trailer looked great. Don’t really care about any of the theories - sounds like a lot of people wanting the movies to be the way they planned in their head and being proactively angry that they aren’t going to be that way.
+1

If there's one thing the internet is good at it's breeding irrational, preemptive outrage about trivial things.
Old 08-27-19, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

That's not Doctor Aphra's torture droid, though. Unless they decided not use the color coded system they have and paint him black.

I bet its Creepio.

Old 08-27-19, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

The "Clone Theory" is picking up steam...another good article over at IGN..... https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08...s-origin-a-lie ….revolves around the infamous "Skywalker Lightsaber" that Luke was using when fighting Vadar in "The Empire Strikes Back"...Vadar cuts off Luke's hand holding the Saber....and then in The Force Awakens, Rey touches the Lightsaber when she opens the box and sees a vision....the theory is now, someone somehow used Luke's hand to do Skywalker Cloning...but who and for Evil or Good?
Old 08-27-19, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

I saw a theory today that that's not Daisy Ridley with the switchblade lightsaber, but actually Keri Russell.

As for C3-PO, while that could just very well be a reflection of a red lightsaber (or something else), I think the lack of R2-D2 in any footage may indicate that something's happened to the little bucket of bolts and C3-PO isn't happy.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 08-27-19 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 06:34 AM

Received 4,661 Likes on 3,156 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I saw a theory today that that's not Daisy Ridley with the switchblade lightsaber, but actually Keri Russell.

Thoughts?
Pretty dumb theory considering it is undeniably Daisy Ridley in the shot.
Old 08-27-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

That trailer did nothing for me and i hate the fact they lean so much on the original trilogy to get people worked up. Disney has screwed up in putting too much faith in the stories they have crafted so far. Characters that are abysmal and charisma free, motivated by stupidity and calling it emotional resonance, it ends up all feeling like a Mary Celeste of a trilogy, adrift and with no set course to follow. Take Finn for example, a character who started out with potential but who literally done nothing and grown into nothing over the course of two movies. Then take Rey, a character that could have grown and been interesting, and yet by the end of the first movie it seems she is almost a Jedi master without ever receiving any training or even knowing what the hell the Force even is. Looks like are trying to retcon this in Rise of Skywalker, but if they had planned this trilogy to being with then no retconning would need to take place to begin with. Being politically correct and trying to appease every demographic does not help this spectacular cinematic shitfest.
Old 08-27-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by K&AJones
The "Clone Theory" is picking up steam...another good article over at IGN..... https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08...s-origin-a-lie ….revolves around the infamous "Skywalker Lightsaber" that Luke was using when fighting Vadar in "The Empire Strikes Back"...Vadar cuts off Luke's hand holding the Saber....and then in The Force Awakens, Rey touches the Lightsaber when she opens the box and sees a vision....the theory is now, someone somehow used Luke's hand to do Skywalker Cloning...but who and for Evil or Good?
I certainly hope they don't take a plotline straight out of the EU/comics. Luke's hand being important is such a stupid idea
Old 08-27-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

I certainly hope they don't take a plotline straight out of the EU/comics. Luke's hand being important is such a stupid idea
I don’t see why that’s a dumb idea at all. In fact I think it makes a lot of sense in context to the history of what we’ve seen in previous films. If Luke’s saber was found then it’s likely his hand was also found. Cloning was something done in the past by the Emperor and is a perfect way for him to create an entity he can use to manipulate.
Old 08-27-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86

I don’t see why that’s a dumb idea at all. In fact I think it makes a lot of sense in context to the history of what we’ve seen in previous films. If Luke’s saber was found then it’s likely his hand was also found. Cloning was something done in the past by the Emperor and is a perfect way for him to create an entity he can use to manipulate.
It sounds like fanwanking to me. It takes an insignificant thing from a previous story and makes it significant. And for the record, as much as I like TFA, the fact that Luke's lightsaber is still out there as a thing and not lost in the clouds of Bespin is equally stupid.
Old 08-27-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Dark-Rey being a dream/vision will really piss off the fan-bois, so naturally I'm all for it!
Old 08-27-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It sounds like fanwanking to me. It takes an insignificant thing from a previous story and makes it significant. And for the record, as much as I like TFA, the fact that Luke's lightsaber is still out there as a thing and not lost in the clouds of Bespin is equally stupid.
Uh the cloning aspect is a pretty huge aspect of Star Wars lore. It got rushed in the films but that was rectified by the animated show (The Clone Wars). I think it’s a good way to bring Palpatine back into the fold. As far as the hand, if it’s already established that the saber was found finding the hand makes just as much sense.
Old 08-27-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank

If there's one thing the internet is good at it's breeding irrational, preemptive outrage about trivial things.
The most insightful post I have read in a long while.
Old 08-27-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Uh the cloning aspect is a pretty huge aspect of Star Wars lore. It got rushed in the films but that was rectified by the animated show (The Clone Wars). I think it’s a good way to bring Palpatine back into the fold. As far as the hand, if it’s already established that the saber was found finding the hand makes just as much sense.
I guarantee that if you asked George Lucas what happened to Luke’s hand, he would have had no idea. Making it that important now is silly and reeks of “fan theory” which I think are the biggest wastes of time ever.
Old 08-27-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guarantee that if you asked George Lucas what happened to Luke’s hand, he would have had no idea. Making it that important now is silly and reeks of “fan theory” which I think are the biggest wastes of time ever.
You could say the same about the blue saber though. Fact is that’s established now, and again finding the hand in the same vicinity makes just as much sense. Why not bring it full circle and tie things together, you know like a trilogy should?
Old 08-27-19, 11:42 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

​​​​​An early rumor about The Force Awakens was that the opening shot would be Luke’s hand and lightsaber floating through space. It was later confirmed that at one point that was absolutely what they were considering. But at some point some wise person excised all (or most) of that nonsense from TFA.

It’s a good guess that faced with a lack of ideas they’ve gone back to this idea.

I think it’s silly.
Old 08-27-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
​​​​​An early rumor about The Force Awakens was that the opening shot would be Luke’s hand and lightsaber floating through space. It was later confirmed that at one point that was absolutely what they were considering. But at some point some wise person excised all (or most) of that nonsense from TFA.

It’s a good guess that faced with a lack of ideas they’ve gone back to this idea.

I think it’s silly.
I do remember that rumor. Another reason it makes sense. They may have had the idea in the back of their minds creatively at one point and could now be going back to it.

I think having that as the opening shot wouldn’t have been the best way to kick off The Force Awakens, but revisiting that idea works well with giving explanations for some of the loopholes in this story. It also can technically work with what Kylo told Rey about her parents being no one. She would be a clone so while having someone’s lineage she wouldn’t have technically had parents.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-27-19 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

It also can technically work with what Kylo told Rey about her parents being no one. She would be a clone so while having someone’s lineage she wouldn’t have technically had parents.
I don't understand why this is so hard for people to remember, but it was Rey who said her parents were nobody. Kylo calls them drunk traders.

Rey finally admits the truth about her parents when prompted by Kylo Ren in 'The Last Jedi'. She reveals, "They were nobody.", and Kylo goes on... "They were filthy junk traders. Sold you off for drinking money. They're dead in a pauper's grave in the Jakku desert."
I don't think by "nobody," Rey was saying that literally nobody was her parent, but it was a comment on their social status/importance.

This could still work for a clone Rey though. For most people, your parents are the one that raised you. Maybe those drunk traders salvaged a clone pod, and raised the child inside until they got bored/desperate for cash. Rey would consider the drunk traders her parents, even though they weren't from a lineage standpoint. Kylo took advantage of a gap in Rey's knowledge about her origins, and her sentimental attachment to the traders who (temporarily) raised her.
Old 08-27-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It would give it a different perspective though as to why she’s as strong with the Force as she is. Even if the people who raised her were in fact no one in regards to the importance of who she is in relation to her place with everything. In my mind that would be a better explanation than just flat out saying that she’s no one and that’s just that.
Old 08-27-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

It would give it a different perspective though as to why she’s as strong with the Force as she is.
Meh, the prequels established that the bulk of Jedi were born to non-Jedi, then discovered by the Jedi Council and raised. The Skywalker lineage is a fluke, and explicitly went against Jedi Council rules. I don't think Sith were prone to producing offspring either,

If they want to tie her into the Skywalker lineage for story purposes that's fine, but it's not necessary to explain her powers.
Old 08-27-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I think the studios feed the theories with these type of trailers. The ending shot with Rey was purposely put in there to feed the fans speculation almost like a cliffhanger you would get at the end of a TV season. Now it's a smart marketing move because any 'chatter' about movie franchise among the fans is a good thing because it creates interest for fans who may be on the bubble and casual fans who haven't followed any news. But the downside is you get fans speculating about this and that for 4 months because they know the shot is coming somewhere in the movie, we just don't know what the context is? So I agree with that many fans speculate to the point where they want a specific theory to come true, but the studios can't have it both ways because they deliberately want those theories talked about leading up to the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.