Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

KK and RJ are going to have the distinction of being the two people who "ruined Star Wars" for quite some time.

Here we are nearly 20 years removed from the first prequel and Lucas is still catching shit for it. And that was for botching the story leading up to ANH, which not everyone was dying to see anyway.

Now we have two creative forces who were behind botching the continuing story of arguably the most beloved character in Star Wars. People wanted to see what happened to Luke next more than they wanted to see baby Anakin IMO. And they fucked it - hard. They're going to be known that way for the rest of their careers. Again...in my opinion.
Old 02-26-18, 05:15 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

I don’t care much for Trevorrow, but I’d be really curious to hear his thoughts on TLJ.
Old 02-26-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Makes me wonder why KK and Lucasfilm were so adamant about getting rid of Luke Skywalker. The entire thought seems ludicrous as it was the one character most wished to see again, for over three decades!
Because he's old, and I'd argue most of us wanted to see the continuing adventures of young Luke Skywalker, not elderly Luke Skywalker.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Now we have two creative forces who were behind botching the continuing story of arguably the most beloved character in Star Wars. People wanted to see what happened to Luke next more than they wanted to see baby Anakin IMO. And they fucked it - hard. They're going to be known that way for the rest of their careers. Again...in my opinion.
Couldn't disagree more.
Luke Skywalker won. He saved the galaxy. Yeah, I guess it's obvious that you'd continue with a successful formula and get Ford, Hamill, and Fisher to do more Star Wars films, but I think it was a smarter decision to tell the story of Anakin Skywalker. It's just the execution of that was all bad.

I think the producers of this latest Star Wars was smart to give us some unexpected twists. That's what Star Wars was about to some degree. But at the same time, the twists by now are very conventional. Hamill's character is expendable at this point because the actor is old. So they can "ruin" his character, but you know that's not going to happen with Rey.
Old 02-26-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I wish a few things had been done differently in Last Jedi, and it's nice that Trevorrow might have felt similar, but I still don't think he's been that impressive of a director to know that his Episode IX would have somehow been amazing based on a couple character decisions.
Old 02-26-18, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Because he's old, and I'd argue most of us wanted to see the continuing adventures of young Luke Skywalker, not elderly Luke Skywalker.

Couldn't disagree more.
Luke Skywalker won. He saved the galaxy. Yeah, I guess it's obvious that you'd continue with a successful formula and get Ford, Hamill, and Fisher to do more Star Wars films, but I think it was a smarter decision to tell the story of Anakin Skywalker. It's just the execution of that was all bad.

I think the producers of this latest Star Wars was smart to give us some unexpected twists. That's what Star Wars was about to some degree. But at the same time, the twists by now are very conventional. Hamill's character is expendable at this point because the actor is old. So they can "ruin" his character, but you know that's not going to happen with Rey.

I agree. You know, I didn't love TLJ. I thought it had a lot of flaws and some sloppy storytelling. That said, I didn't disagree at all with the choices RJ made in terms of what to do with Luke because the overall theme of the movie is about passing the torch to the new generation. The OT was Luke's story, this one is not about him. You can't make a whole new series and expect nostalgia to carry it all the way.
Old 02-26-18, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
There were a bunch of articles this weekend on social media/internet (take it with a grain of salt), that got the inside scoop on why Colin Trevorrow was fired from Episode 9.

The jist is that he didn't want Luke or Snoke to die in Episode 8. He said he wanted to do 'something special' with Luke/Leia regarding the force in Episode 9 (Before Carrie Fisher died), and eventually have Luke walk off in the sunset and pass the torch to Rey.

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/star-...have-been-epic
There is one small line in that article that is the source of all the problems:

... it seems as if Hamill signed on without knowing the whole story ...
The problem is that NOBODY knows the whole story. Hell, nobody knows ANY of the story. The have stumbled into this whole thing blind with no fucking plan. Rather than having any kind of a starry arc mapped out, they have been turning over to any flavor of the month in the director’s chair. It has basically become The Walking Dead. And this is coming from somebody who “likes” the last few movies.
Old 02-26-18, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie

Couldn't disagree more.

Given the feedback to what they did with him, apparently not.
Old 02-26-18, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

they have been turning over to any flavor of the month in the director’s chair
Abrahams X 2
Johnson
Howard

Not necessarily flavors of the month.
Old 02-26-18, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Abrahams X 2
Johnson
Howard

I don't know about flavors of the month, but Disney has certainly went for young directors coming off of popular or well received releases. Lord/Miller (from LEGO/Jump Street), Trevorrow (Jurassic World), and Trank (off Chronicle), all fired or moved on. Johnson's last feature would be Looper but off of an acclaimed Breaking Bad episode too and kind of fits that same mold to me.
Old 02-26-18, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I loved The Last Jedi. Trevorrow was wrong. Bring it on, JJ.
I don't think JJ can bring anything to the screen that will salvage the numerous missteps of The Last Jedi in a satisfying way for many fans. What shows up on the screen to end this trilogy will probably have me and many fans smacking our heads and saying, "What the fuck is this money grab?! Fuck Disney, fuck Kathleen Kennedy, and fuck Rian Johnson...again!"
Old 02-26-18, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Abrahams X 2
Johnson
Howard

It is when it is a constantly rotating barrage of different people with no creative consistency. So far we have gotten three movies under Disney with four different directors. Two more movies are in the immediate future with a minimum of another four (five if you count the pair) having been attached - not just rumored - to those.

That’s five movies with a minimum of 8 directors having done actual work on them.

The Force Awakens - Abrams
Rogue One - Edwards / Gilroy
The Last Jedi - Johnson
Solo - Lord & Miller / Howard
Episode IX - Trevorrow / Abrams

I’m not referring to the quality, I’m referring the quantity and Disney’s whimsy.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 02-26-18 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-27-18, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchot
I don't think JJ can bring anything to the screen that will salvage the numerous missteps of The Last Jedi in a satisfying way for many fans. What shows up on the screen to end this trilogy will probably have me and many fans smacking our heads and saying, "What the fuck is this money grab?! Fuck Disney, fuck Kathleen Kennedy, and fuck Rian Johnson...again!"

Maybe JJ Abrams should just deliver yet another Death Star plot and call it a day. Seems to be passable for “fans”.

The Last Jedi > The Force Awakens and Return of the Jedi
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 02-27-18, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that Disney owns LF, we will be seeing the SW Universe on-screen until...well...the end of the actual universe.
Old 02-27-18, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster

Maybe JJ Abrams should just deliver yet another Death Star plot and call it a day. Seems to be passable for “fans”.

The Last Jedi > The Force Awakens and Return of the Jedi
You may be on to something.

When I think about it, the Death Star has had more on-screen time in all the Star Wars movies than several of the major secondary characters.
Old 02-27-18, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
You can't make a whole new series and expect nostalgia to carry it all the way.
While I agree with you on this, I think Disney wanted it both ways. Before Carrie Fisher died, the plan was to market each ST movie with one of the Big 3 OT characters. Ford in Episode 7, Hamill in Episode 8, and Fisher in Episode 9, and that was strictly done to get the 'nostalgia' crowd in the theaters.

They could have easily done a Star Trek Generations and had Ford, Fisher and Hamill appear as cameos in Episode 7 and pass the torch to Rey, Finn, and Poe. Then Episode 8 and 9 could be solely about those new characters, and I think the Trilogy would look a lot different then it does now.

For whatever we all think, the character of Luke will hover over Episode 8 for the rest of time as some loved it and some hated it. That is why it was a bad decision to give him that much screentime and decide to change his arc from ROTJ, because that is all that everyone is talking about. Him flipping the Lightsaber and drinking from Cow Tits just rubs people the wrong way and I don't think they will ever give the movie a fair shot after stuff like that.

Which leads to me to my earlier post about Episode 9 and I still want someone tell me who liked TLJ, what is there to look forward at this point? I honestly don't even know what the character arcs of Rey and Kylo Ren are at this point. Rey is Superwoman, so any trouble she gets in Episode 9 will sort of be anti-climatic since she has kicked ass for 2 movies. What is the plan for Kylo Ren? Redeem him like Darth Vader? Rey-Lo? Have him be the big bad villain and then die at the end?

Sorry, but none of that is remotely interesting and I believe a big reason is because they worried so much about the OT characters, and it took time from developing Rey and Kylo Ren (who I actually think were very well cast and could have been a lot more then they gave them in this Trilogy). Episode 3 was all about how Darth Vader came to be, and Episode 6 was all about was Vader being Luke's dad? What is the hook of Episode 9, and why should any fan care about this movie other then it's stamped Star Wars on it? Well, that will probably be enough for many fans. Including me.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 02-27-18, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

I would be happy with the follow;

No Kylo redemption, or death. Just give me a villain we can grow to love/hate.
Rey continuing to be a badass.
Everything else is just gravy at this point.
Old 02-27-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really dont buy rey being a badass. this last movie made me think of her as meh.

and dont get it twisted. I thought everything with luke was fine up until his death. His death was such a "what a stupid way to die"
Old 02-27-18, 09:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So now people are saying the sequels are on par with the prequels? Makes me wonder why people even bother to see these movies, since nothing will ever satisfy them.
Old 02-27-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
So now people are saying the sequels are on par with the prequels? Makes me wonder why people even bother to see these movies, since nothing will ever satisfy them.
That's a pretty general statement. The ST seems directionless... perhaps in retrospect, the PT is better paced and plotted but the acting and characters sucked. They both have their pro's and con's. I personally think they're like 10% better than the PT and there is this purely nostalgic place in my heart that wishes I loved Eps 7 and 8... but I don't.
As others have mentioned, I can't imagine this trilogy wraps up nicely and provides the kind of conclusion that makes us older fans feel better about the franchise as a whole. Maybe the whole intent was to rope in new fans - which they've certain done but not with the fervor that we all had as kids.
I'm more hopeful for the spin-off movies that give us hero back-stories. Those seem to capture my view of SW as a whole.
Old 02-27-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Exactly. I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that there’s a certain segment fanbase that’s never going to be satisfied with anything beyond the Original Trilogy (or in some cases after The Empire Strikes Back).

Some people trying to prop up the Prequel Trilogy like those films are suddenly so much better after they’ve been pretty much universally hated since 1999 is ridiculous or saying things like the magic disappeared when George Lucas signed the dotted line. Give me a fucking break. After ridiculing him for years suddenly he’s this poor genius we lost to Disney.

I think a good chunk of fans (though not all) liked The Force Awakens and because The Last Jedi wasn’t up to their every last standard of what they thought should happen suddenly the Sequel Trilogy is the worst thing ever and Star Wars is doomed going forward. People are so dramatic about it and it’s just kind of silly.
Old 02-27-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Exactly. I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that there’s a certain segment fanbase that’s never going to be satisfied with anything beyond the Original Trilogy (or in some cases after The Empire Strikes Back).

Oh come on, pretty much every Fanbase is like this for Popular Franchises. I don't know if you remember those Matrix Sequels, as Reloaded and Revolutions were despised by the public in 2003. I don't know if you remember the Batman movies from 1989-97, or 2005-2012, as fans are all over the place with those movies. Some love the Burton movies, some hate them, some love Schumacher's Batman Forever, some hate it cause it's cheesy and not as dark, although everyone hated Batman and Robin. The same goes for Nolan's trilogy as The Dark Knight Rises was buried by the fans. If you want to go back to the 80's, Superman 3 and 4 were hated by most fans back then as the franchise didn't make a movie for another 20 years. Heck, even Robert Zemeckis admitted that he would never do another sequel after Back to the Future Trilogy, "I would never do another sequel because every fan has their own story in their head and you can never please everyone."

This is just a symptom of Franchise Sequels as many will love them and many will hate them, and Star Wars is no different. But for some reason, SW fans get called out on it for not liking a movie or movies. Go google what fans thought of those Matrix Sequels as that is the most hated I have ever seen towards a set of movies.
Old 02-27-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the difference between most of the films you mentioned and The Last Jedi is that a lot of them were legitimately bad for numerous reasons (bad acting, effects, story, etc). I’d say that The Last Jedi is at least a well made film it just didn’t meet expectations of some of the fans and that’s the reason why it’s so horrible to them. I can get that to a degree but it’s not a terrible film because of that.
Old 02-27-18, 11:57 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Oh come on, pretty much every Fanbase is like this for Popular Franchises.
Mike86 and DC.
Old 02-27-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Mike86 and DC.
legitimate comparison but those films have basically been universally considered to be not good so I’m not alone in thinking that way. Really only the DCEU films too not DC as a whole.
Old 02-27-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
Mike86 and DC.
It was the dramatic line that made me think the same

Originally Posted by Mike86
People are so dramatic about it and it’s just kind of silly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.