Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-17, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Just heard JJ was directing IX. Well, I'd have liked to see three different directors for the ST. I know VIII isn't out yet but at this point, I prefer Rian over JJ for IX.

That said, I wonder if Snoke will get a weapon of his own.
Old 09-14-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Just heard JJ was directing IX. Well, I'd have liked to see three different directors for the ST. I know VIII isn't out yet but at this point, I prefer Rian over JJ for IX.

That said, I wonder if Snoke will get a weapon of his own.
Snoke bomb!
Old 09-15-17, 06:26 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the Snoke Choke!
Old 09-15-17, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Snoke Poke?
Old 09-15-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

The Figure Four Snoke Lock!

Woooo!
Old 09-15-17, 10:41 AM

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,135 Posts

"You got SNOOOOOKED!"

I'll take JJ Abrams on this one, sure. I was never excited about Trevorrow. Something tells me The Last Jedi will be better or take more risks than The Force Awakens and people will say they want Johnson instead, but something tells me going back to Abrams will work well, actually. I do hope he works with Johnson on the treatment, at least.
Old 09-15-17, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Snoke Poke?
I think that's the Snoker.
Old 09-15-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Right, and Finn goes from uncertain First Order soldier to abandoning Rey to fighting with the Resistance.
He only "abandons" her because he thought it was protecting her from the First Order. It's not like he has a change of heart about her for no reason.
Old 02-26-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There were a bunch of articles this weekend on social media/internet (take it with a grain of salt), that got the inside scoop on why Colin Trevorrow was fired from Episode 9.

The jist is that he didn't want Luke or Snoke to die in Episode 8. He said he wanted to do 'something special' with Luke/Leia regarding the force in Episode 9 (Before Carrie Fisher died), and eventually have Luke walk off in the sunset and pass the torch to Rey.

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/star-...have-been-epic
Old 02-26-18, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcnabb
There were a bunch of articles this weekend on social media/internet (take it with a grain of salt), that got the inside scoop on why Colin Trevorrow was fired from Episode 9.

The jist is that he didn't want Luke or Snoke to die in Episode 8. He said he wanted to do 'something special' with Luke/Leia regarding the force in Episode 9 (Before Carrie Fisher died), and eventually have Luke walk off in the sunset and pass the torch to Rey.

sounds like it would have been 100times better than that piece of shit Last Jedi
Old 02-26-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'll never be the guy who says "I won't see this" or "I'll wait until I read reviews" because that's nonsense... but my expectations for this trilogy have been so depleted by the first two films that I really just want Disney to move on from this entire story. Disney hit the SW feel with Rogue One and Solo appears to be "vintage" as well... the steaming pile we've been given is truly disappointing; almost PT disappointing. If there is any truth to the above rumors, that's just depressing. As cliche' as it may have been, that's what we all wanted and deserved as SW fans.
Old 02-26-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

The article suggests he was arguing for keeping Snoke and Luke alive even after Carrie Fisher's death, which would've been after principal photography had ended on TLJ. So he was still trying to change the previous film's plot after it had been shot. I mean, I understand arguing while the films are both still in pre-production, or even while TLJ is still filming, but there comes a point where you have to work with the hand you're dealt.

If CT really felt that he didn't have a story without Luke and Snoke in IX, it's not surprising he left. And if he was still pushing for TLJ changes so late in the game, it's not surprising Lucasfilm fired him.
Old 02-26-18, 01:23 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Wow.
Old 02-26-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with many here that a Director shouldn't give the audience exactly what they want, as there has to be something interesting about it and not just a paint by numbers. But a director should still give SOMETHING to the fans, and that is why this speculation for Episode 9 is so depressing to read.

I still want to know (even fans of TLJ) what is there to look forward to in Episode 9? Do we really care if Rey fights Kylo Ren at this point as she has been Superwoman this whole Trilogy? Do we really want Kylo Ren redeemed, as that's been done in ROTJ? I don't know anyone who wants Rey-Lo? Do we really care if Rey starts a new Jedi order? Do we really want to watch a whole movie of Kylo Ren running the First Order?

I just don't know what the hook of this movie is for fans, other then the brand at this point? Episode 3 had a hook of 'How Darth Vader came to be' and Episode 6 had a hook of 'Is Vader really Luke's father?' Episode 3 still had to show how Palpatine took over the Senate, how the Jedi were all killed, what happened to Luke and Leia? Episode 6 had the hook of finding Han, would Luke face Vader again? There is just nothing in Episode 9 that really gets me hooked, other then reading alternative stuff like this.
Old 02-26-18, 01:40 PM

See?! The creative force behind Jurassic World and The Book of Henry was right! Somebody tell the true fans they knew all along!

I loved The Last Jedi. Trevorrow was wrong. Bring it on, JJ.
Old 02-26-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I agree with many here that a Director shouldn't give the audience exactly what they want, as there has to be something interesting about it and not just a paint by numbers. But a director should still give SOMETHING to the fans, and that is why this speculation for Episode 9 is so depressing to read.

I still want to know (even fans of TLJ) what is there to look forward to in Episode 9? Do we really care if Rey fights Kylo Ren at this point as she has been Superwoman this whole Trilogy? Do we really want Kylo Ren redeemed, as that's been done in ROTJ? I don't know anyone who wants Rey-Lo? Do we really care if Rey starts a new Jedi order? Do we really want to watch a whole movie of Kylo Ren running the First Order?

I just don't know what the hook of this movie is for fans, other then the brand at this point? Episode 3 had a hook of 'How Darth Vader came to be' and Episode 6 had a hook of 'Is Vader really Luke's father?' Episode 3 still had to show how Palpatine took over the Senate, how the Jedi were all killed, what happened to Luke and Leia? Episode 6 had the hook of finding Han, would Luke face Vader again? There is just nothing in Episode 9 that really gets me hooked, other then reading alternative stuff like this.
All I can think is that Ep IX isn't the last of the story for these characters. Because, you're right... there is nothing left to tell that'll be remotely interesting or fresh. IF there is another trilogy that addresses the outcome of Rey or Kylo or Rey-Lo then maybe there's a chance to redeem the boring story.
Or, perhaps, Eps 7-9 are just SW, ESB and ROTJ for the newest generation and us old fogies have to get over it.
Old 02-26-18, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Oh, I totally called that shit: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13223685-post18.html
Old 02-26-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Old 02-26-18, 02:18 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Old 02-26-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damage is done already. now its just about seeing how this finishes.. maybe someone else will die from exhaustion
Old 02-26-18, 02:24 PM

...or lose the will to live...
Old 02-26-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
sounds like it would have been 100times better than that piece of shit Last Jedi
Amen to that.

I'm with ya there.
Kylo Ren is so uninteresting as a character, I don't know where to start...
And Rey is not as interesting as she needs to be as THE heroine of the SW Universe.
There is nothing dramatic in Ep.9 to make me buy a ticket.
Old 02-26-18, 04:29 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

wow, holy shit. I thought that might've been the case re: CT. That sucks. Fuck Rian Johnson... really. Fuck him to death in the eye socket with a lightsaber doubledong.
Old 02-26-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I wonder if Lucas is enjoying no longer being the most hated director of a Star Wars movie. Maybe he knew what he was doing when he sold!
Old 02-26-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The article suggests he was arguing for keeping Snoke and Luke alive even after Carrie Fisher's death, which would've been after principal photography had ended on TLJ. So he was still trying to change the previous film's plot after it had been shot. I mean, I understand arguing while the films are both still in pre-production, or even while TLJ is still filming, but there comes a point where you have to work with the hand you're dealt.

If CT really felt that he didn't have a story without Luke and Snoke in IX, it's not surprising he left. And if he was still pushing for TLJ changes so late in the game, it's not surprising Lucasfilm fired him.

Yea, and now everyone at LF is laying low, wishing they had listened to him. We also know why Hamill was so publicly upset with what they were doing behind the scenes. He and CT had already worked out E9 and it went to shit.

Makes me wonder why KK and Lucasfilm were so adamant about getting rid of Luke Skywalker. The entire thought seems ludicrous as it was the one character most wished to see again, for over three decades!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.