Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-17, 11:25 AM   #351
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Land of the free, home of the brave!
Posts: 3,814
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
From everything I've read Lucas has said he had a back story for the characters and an idea of where things would go. How else would you explain Vader surviving at the end of ANH? The movie drops us in during the middle of a war and leaves us at the end with little resolution.

edit: although like with most things with Lucas the story changes depending on the day. It's all true from a certain point of view.
I thought Hugo wrote the 3 movie arc in a time travel episode on lost....
__________________
United we stand, let us not forget those that have fallen: September 11, 2001.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 11:28 AM   #352
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: More drinks, more fun!
Posts: 14,448
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I guess I'm the only one not super thrilled with JJ being back. I thought TFA was ok, not great and a lot of that had to do with his safe approach to everything. At least Gareth Edwards took a chance and made a darker film -- granted character development lacked. JJ regurgitated A New Hope... I hope he doesn't give us a 2019 version of Jedi.
I agree with this.
I actually liked Rogue One more than TFA, character development flaws and all. Something about TFA (probably the edgelord wannabe Darth Vader villain) just wasn't as interesting to me.
__________________
"...you've taken a side in an ideological battle, while pretending all the way
that you're simply defending the supposedly neutral value of free speech.
Don't think we don't notice which instances of speech you choose to defend." - Contrapoints
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 12:13 PM   #353
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,512
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

While we're on this subject, someone kindly explain to me all this character development for Poe, Rey, Kylo Ren, Han Solo, Leia, etc in TFA.

Even Finn's development is basic "he just wants to desert, then changes his mind when Rey is capture and decides to align and fight"
But how is that all that different from Jyn's Rebel without a cause that morphs into Rebel with a cause and purpose? At least it's predicated on something a little different- avenging a family member who is an honestly conflicted hero/villain. Actually, that's not correct as Jyn's father is a real hero, caught between a rock and a hard place. The sacrifices/gestures he makes are fully in keeping with the kinds of things good people are often faced with in war-time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 12:28 PM   #354
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,789
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Poor Poe certainly got screwed when they got Ford to sign on. We know nothing about his character other than being the best pilot in the fleet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 12:45 PM   #355
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,651
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
While we're on this subject, someone kindly explain to me all this character development for Poe, Rey, Kylo Ren, Han Solo, Leia, etc in TFA.

Even Finn's development is basic "he just wants to desert, then changes his mind when Rey is capture and decides to align and fight"
But how is that all that different from Jyn's Rebel without a cause that morphs into Rebel with a cause and purpose? At least it's predicated on something a little different- avenging a family member who is an honestly conflicted hero/villain. Actually, that's not correct as Jyn's father is a real hero, caught between a rock and a hard place. The sacrifices/gestures he makes are fully in keeping with the kinds of things good people are often faced with in war-time.
You're right, both movies had poor character development.
__________________
PSN: DaveyJoeG|Steam: DaveyJoe

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 12:56 PM   #356
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,552
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I guess I'm the only one not super thrilled with JJ being back. I thought TFA was ok, not great and a lot of that had to do with his safe approach to everything. At least Gareth Edwards took a chance and made a darker film -- granted character development lacked. JJ regurgitated A New Hope... I hope he doesn't give us a 2019 version of Jedi.
The thing is I don't think Disney could have done something really edgy or different right off the bat and been as successful. Playing it safe was the right route to go with that film just to revive the franchise in my opinion. The films can go different directions going forward now that fans new and old alike have somewhat of a feel for what's happening. It already looks like The Last Jedi will have a darker tone.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-13-17 at 01:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 12:56 PM   #357
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 15,756
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Poor Poe certainly got screwed when they got Ford to sign on. We know nothing about his character other than being the best pilot in the fleet.
From what I read, Poe was originally supposed to die, and stay dead, in the Tie Fighter crash. Oscar Isaac voiced to JJ Abrams that he was getting frustrated that his characters always die early in movies, so they revised the script so he comes back later in the movie.
http://uproxx.com/movies/star-wars-o...dameron-death/
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 01:00 PM   #358
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,552
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Actually I feel like Poe dying would have added a bit more weight to the story and I don't find his character particularly interesting. Then again maybe we'll get more of him in the sequel.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 01:30 PM   #359
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 9,168
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
The thing is I don't think Disney could have done something really edgy or different right off the bat and been as successful. Playing it safe was the right route to go with that film just to revive the franchise in my opinion. The films can go different directions going forward now that fans new and old alike have somewhat of a feel for what's happening. It already looks like The Last Jedi will have a darker tone.
Good point about bringing back the franchise... perhaps not the best timing to kill a bunch of people off. That said, if you just revive ANH and we know TLJ is going to be darker (ie ESB) then it's probably a certainty that Episode IX will be like Jedi mostly --- redemption and heroes prevailing. Just once it'd be great to see the bad guys win in the end and let the struggle continue -- but that will never happen.... and never under Abrams' watch.
__________________
"i remembered this movie i watched it with my family is's perfect special and adorable" - Mahmoudshawer
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 01:46 PM   #360
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,552
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

That's most stories though. People don't like to see the bad guys go out on top most of the time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 02:06 PM   #361
Time Lord
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 53,180
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Actually I feel like Poe dying would have added a bit more weight to the story and I don't find his character particularly interesting. Then again maybe we'll get more of him in the sequel.
Poe dying at the beginning of TFA wouldn't have meant anything.

Poe dying at the end of the trilogy after he and Finn have declared their love for each other and had one night of intense passion will leave us all in tears.
__________________
Never stop punching fascists.
Stop employing thugs and murderers: Abolish police, abolish the military.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 02:09 PM   #362
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,617
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
While we're on this subject, someone kindly explain to me all this character development for Poe, Rey, Kylo Ren, Han Solo, Leia, etc in TFA.

Even Finn's development is basic "he just wants to desert, then changes his mind when Rey is capture and decides to align and fight"
But how is that all that different from Jyn's Rebel without a cause that morphs into Rebel with a cause and purpose? At least it's predicated on something a little different- avenging a family member who is an honestly conflicted hero/villain. Actually, that's not correct as Jyn's father is a real hero, caught between a rock and a hard place. The sacrifices/gestures he makes are fully in keeping with the kinds of things good people are often faced with in war-time.
In fairness to Abrams, he had to marry 2 trilogies of characters, so it was tough to really flesh them all out in a 2 hour movie. I know I don't want a bloated 3 hour Lord of the Rings type Star Wars movie just to flesh out more of the characters. The OT is great because they are 2 hour movies that move and don't feel bloated, yet still have time for the little moments. All Abrams had to do was get us on board with the new characters (obviously we were on board with the OT characters) as TLJ will be the movie that should start to flesh them out. We are going to learn more about Rey and what the heck Luke has been up to for the past 30 years. I'm sure they will be exploring more of Kylo Ren, although with Carrie Fisher dying in real life, I'm not sure how that changes the mother/son dynamic?

I honestly don't think you will get too much character development on Finn as he will still be a big part of the trilogy, but play second fiddle to Rey's story. Poe will probably get the short-end of any extended story, although in the TFA Novel it insinuates there is a spark between him and Rey when they meet at the Resistance Base at the end of the movie. Maybe they will play up that love story in Episode 9?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 03:07 PM   #363
Time Lord
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 53,180
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Finn has as much character development in TFA as Han Solo had in A New Hope.
__________________
Never stop punching fascists.
Stop employing thugs and murderers: Abolish police, abolish the military.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 07:23 PM   #364
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,015
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Don't hate on it until you try it. It feels fantastic.
And it's kind of femme. Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
From what I read, Poe was originally supposed to die, and stay dead, in the Tie Fighter crash. Oscar Isaac voiced to JJ Abrams that he was getting frustrated that his characters always die early in movies, so they revised the script so he comes back later in the movie.
http://uproxx.com/movies/star-wars-o...dameron-death/
One of my biggest gripes with TFA was how obvious it was that JJ decided mid-produciotn to bring Poe back but didn't bother to write in an actual explanation for how he lived. Not only that, but he completely bungles the reveal by just having him show up again and pretending like it was no big deal. I'd say it was worth it to have the character back, but it's not like he did anything or was particularly interesting.
__________________
My BDs
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 07:33 PM   #365
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 5,669
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
And it's kind of femme. Traitor.
Not really, personal appearance is just that, personal. Plenty of guys go hairless, Its a matter of choice. Its my body and I can present it however I want to.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 10:06 AM   #366
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,056
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Its a matter of choice. Its my body and I can present it however I want to.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 10:11 AM   #367
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: More drinks, more fun!
Posts: 14,448
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Not really, personal appearance is just that, personal. Plenty of guys go hairless, Its a matter of choice. Its my body and I can present it however I want to.
All joking aside, you're damn right. Good for you.

I don't agree with you about all that MRA/MGTOW/anti-feminism shit you spew on a regular basis, but I'm glad you're finding some comfort in the above, as I recall you mentioning before that your family wasn't very supportive of some things.
__________________
"...you've taken a side in an ideological battle, while pretending all the way
that you're simply defending the supposedly neutral value of free speech.
Don't think we don't notice which instances of speech you choose to defend." - Contrapoints
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 10:37 AM   #368
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 23,511
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (2019, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
You might miss out in 2018, unless they move the Han Solo movie to Christmas.
I guess we could always watch it at home. There's a great chance they still wouldn't have seen it. I will have though.
__________________
***DVDTALK GOLD TRADER***

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 11:00 AM   #369
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 15,491
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
All joking aside, you're damn right. Good for you.

I don't agree with you about all that MRA/MGTOW/anti-feminism shit you spew on a regular basis, but I'm glad you're finding some comfort in the above, as I recall you mentioning before that your family wasn't very supportive of some things.
I think he was certain that they would hate him for it, then when he told them he found out they didn't care and it was no big deal.
__________________
You really have a low threshold for sig material. - Numanoid
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 11:39 AM   #370
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 10,793
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

I never saw Poe as a main character to begin with. Maybe a notch above Wedge, who was many believe to be the best pilot in the OT.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 11:58 AM   #371
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 12,950
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
I never saw Poe as a main character to begin with. Maybe a notch above Wedge, who was many believe to be the best pilot in the OT.
Yeah, his droid is more popular.
__________________
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 01:05 PM   #372
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,015
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
All joking aside, you're damn right. Good for you.
Of course he's right. The irony is that he buys into these absurd ideas about masculinity and gender identity but then engages in and defends this practice that many might consider the antitheses of "manliness."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 05:05 PM   #373
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,684
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Finn has as much character development in TFA as Han Solo had in A New Hope.
I don't know... he went from selfish scoundrel to saving Luke and the rebellion. He kinda had an arc in ANH.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 05:13 PM   #374
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
nando820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 3,277
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
The thing is I don't think Disney could have done something really edgy or different right off the bat and been as successful. Playing it safe was the right route to go with that film just to revive the franchise in my opinion. The films can go different directions going forward now that fans new and old alike have somewhat of a feel for what's happening. It already looks like The Last Jedi will have a darker tone.
Very true, it was a good way to bring back this franchise. Only thing I disagree with is having another Death Star, or if you gonna have it at least don't blow it till the next movie
__________________
My Reviews and Collection
RateYourMusic.com

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 05:21 PM   #375
Time Lord
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 53,180
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
I don't know... he went from selfish scoundrel to saving Luke and the rebellion. He kinda had an arc in ANH.
Right, and Finn goes from uncertain First Order soldier to abandoning Rey to fighting with the Resistance.
__________________
Never stop punching fascists.
Stop employing thugs and murderers: Abolish police, abolish the military.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0