Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Timber
From everything I've read Lucas has said he had a back story for the characters and an idea of where things would go. How else would you explain Vader surviving at the end of ANH? The movie drops us in during the middle of a war and leaves us at the end with little resolution.

edit: although like with most things with Lucas the story changes depending on the day. It's all true from a certain point of view.
I thought Hugo wrote the 3 movie arc in a time travel episode on lost....
Old 09-13-17, 10:28 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I guess I'm the only one not super thrilled with JJ being back. I thought TFA was ok, not great and a lot of that had to do with his safe approach to everything. At least Gareth Edwards took a chance and made a darker film -- granted character development lacked. JJ regurgitated A New Hope... I hope he doesn't give us a 2019 version of Jedi.
I agree with this.
I actually liked Rogue One more than TFA, character development flaws and all. Something about TFA (probably the edgelord wannabe Darth Vader villain) just wasn't as interesting to me.
Old 09-13-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

While we're on this subject, someone kindly explain to me all this character development for Poe, Rey, Kylo Ren, Han Solo, Leia, etc in TFA.

Even Finn's development is basic "he just wants to desert, then changes his mind when Rey is capture and decides to align and fight"
But how is that all that different from Jyn's Rebel without a cause that morphs into Rebel with a cause and purpose? At least it's predicated on something a little different- avenging a family member who is an honestly conflicted hero/villain. Actually, that's not correct as Jyn's father is a real hero, caught between a rock and a hard place. The sacrifices/gestures he makes are fully in keeping with the kinds of things good people are often faced with in war-time.
Old 09-13-17, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Poor Poe certainly got screwed when they got Ford to sign on. We know nothing about his character other than being the best pilot in the fleet.
Old 09-13-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
While we're on this subject, someone kindly explain to me all this character development for Poe, Rey, Kylo Ren, Han Solo, Leia, etc in TFA.

Even Finn's development is basic "he just wants to desert, then changes his mind when Rey is capture and decides to align and fight"
But how is that all that different from Jyn's Rebel without a cause that morphs into Rebel with a cause and purpose? At least it's predicated on something a little different- avenging a family member who is an honestly conflicted hero/villain. Actually, that's not correct as Jyn's father is a real hero, caught between a rock and a hard place. The sacrifices/gestures he makes are fully in keeping with the kinds of things good people are often faced with in war-time.
You're right, both movies had poor character development.
Old 09-13-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I guess I'm the only one not super thrilled with JJ being back. I thought TFA was ok, not great and a lot of that had to do with his safe approach to everything. At least Gareth Edwards took a chance and made a darker film -- granted character development lacked. JJ regurgitated A New Hope... I hope he doesn't give us a 2019 version of Jedi.
The thing is I don't think Disney could have done something really edgy or different right off the bat and been as successful. Playing it safe was the right route to go with that film just to revive the franchise in my opinion. The films can go different directions going forward now that fans new and old alike have somewhat of a feel for what's happening. It already looks like The Last Jedi will have a darker tone.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-13-17 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Poor Poe certainly got screwed when they got Ford to sign on. We know nothing about his character other than being the best pilot in the fleet.
From what I read, Poe was originally supposed to die, and stay dead, in the Tie Fighter crash. Oscar Isaac voiced to JJ Abrams that he was getting frustrated that his characters always die early in movies, so they revised the script so he comes back later in the movie.
http://uproxx.com/movies/star-wars-o...dameron-death/
Old 09-13-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually I feel like Poe dying would have added a bit more weight to the story and I don't find his character particularly interesting. Then again maybe we'll get more of him in the sequel.
Old 09-13-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The thing is I don't think Disney could have done something really edgy or different right off the bat and been as successful. Playing it safe was the right route to go with that film just to revive the franchise in my opinion. The films can go different directions going forward now that fans new and old alike have somewhat of a feel for what's happening. It already looks like The Last Jedi will have a darker tone.
Good point about bringing back the franchise... perhaps not the best timing to kill a bunch of people off. That said, if you just revive ANH and we know TLJ is going to be darker (ie ESB) then it's probably a certainty that Episode IX will be like Jedi mostly --- redemption and heroes prevailing. Just once it'd be great to see the bad guys win in the end and let the struggle continue -- but that will never happen.... and never under Abrams' watch.
Old 09-13-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's most stories though. People don't like to see the bad guys go out on top most of the time.
Old 09-13-17, 01:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually I feel like Poe dying would have added a bit more weight to the story and I don't find his character particularly interesting. Then again maybe we'll get more of him in the sequel.
Poe dying at the beginning of TFA wouldn't have meant anything.

Poe dying at the end of the trilogy after he and Finn have declared their love for each other and had one night of intense passion will leave us all in tears.
Old 09-13-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

In fairness to Abrams, he had to marry 2 trilogies of characters, so it was tough to really flesh them all out in a 2 hour movie. I know I don't want a bloated 3 hour Lord of the Rings type Star Wars movie just to flesh out more of the characters. The OT is great because they are 2 hour movies that move and don't feel bloated, yet still have time for the little moments. All Abrams had to do was get us on board with the new characters (obviously we were on board with the OT characters) as TLJ will be the movie that should start to flesh them out. We are going to learn more about Rey and what the heck Luke has been up to for the past 30 years. I'm sure they will be exploring more of Kylo Ren, although with Carrie Fisher dying in real life, I'm not sure how that changes the mother/son dynamic?

I honestly don't think you will get too much character development on Finn as he will still be a big part of the trilogy, but play second fiddle to Rey's story. Poe will probably get the short-end of any extended story, although in the TFA Novel it insinuates there is a spark between him and Rey when they meet at the Resistance Base at the end of the movie. Maybe they will play up that love story in Episode 9?
Old 09-13-17, 02:07 PM
Banned by request

Finn has as much character development in TFA as Han Solo had in A New Hope.
Old 09-13-17, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 986 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Don't hate on it until you try it. It feels fantastic.
And it's kind of femme. Traitor.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
From what I read, Poe was originally supposed to die, and stay dead, in the Tie Fighter crash. Oscar Isaac voiced to JJ Abrams that he was getting frustrated that his characters always die early in movies, so they revised the script so he comes back later in the movie.
http://uproxx.com/movies/star-wars-o...dameron-death/
One of my biggest gripes with TFA was how obvious it was that JJ decided mid-produciotn to bring Poe back but didn't bother to write in an actual explanation for how he lived. Not only that, but he completely bungles the reveal by just having him show up again and pretending like it was no big deal. I'd say it was worth it to have the character back, but it's not like he did anything or was particularly interesting.
Old 09-13-17, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
And it's kind of femme. Traitor.
Not really, personal appearance is just that, personal. Plenty of guys go hairless, Its a matter of choice. Its my body and I can present it however I want to.
Old 09-14-17, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Its a matter of choice. Its my body and I can present it however I want to.

Old 09-14-17, 09:11 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Not really, personal appearance is just that, personal. Plenty of guys go hairless, Its a matter of choice. Its my body and I can present it however I want to.
All joking aside, you're damn right. Good for you.

I don't agree with you about all that MRA/MGTOW/anti-feminism shit you spew on a regular basis, but I'm glad you're finding some comfort in the above, as I recall you mentioning before that your family wasn't very supportive of some things.
Old 09-14-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (2019, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Jay G.
You might miss out in 2018, unless they move the Han Solo movie to Christmas.
I guess we could always watch it at home. There's a great chance they still wouldn't have seen it. I will have though.
Old 09-14-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan

I don't agree with you about all that MRA/MGTOW/anti-feminism shit you spew on a regular basis, but I'm glad you're finding some comfort in the above, as I recall you mentioning before that your family wasn't very supportive of some things.
I think he was certain that they would hate him for it, then when he told them he found out they didn't care and it was no big deal.
Old 09-14-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I never saw Poe as a main character to begin with. Maybe a notch above Wedge, who was many believe to be the best pilot in the OT.
Old 09-14-17, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I never saw Poe as a main character to begin with. Maybe a notch above Wedge, who was many believe to be the best pilot in the OT.
Yeah, his droid is more popular.
Old 09-14-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 986 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Of course he's right. The irony is that he buys into these absurd ideas about masculinity and gender identity but then engages in and defends this practice that many might consider the antitheses of "manliness."
Old 09-14-17, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Finn has as much character development in TFA as Han Solo had in A New Hope.
I don't know... he went from selfish scoundrel to saving Luke and the rebellion. He kinda had an arc in ANH.
Old 09-14-17, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Very true, it was a good way to bring back this franchise. Only thing I disagree with is having another Death Star, or if you gonna have it at least don't blow it till the next movie
Old 09-14-17, 04:21 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I don't know... he went from selfish scoundrel to saving Luke and the rebellion. He kinda had an arc in ANH.
Right, and Finn goes from uncertain First Order soldier to abandoning Rey to fighting with the Resistance.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.