Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'll give him a chance, just please please please make a good movie.
Yeah, I mean, we can talk at length about the "Twilight stink" and what-not, but Reeves ultimately has to get a solid movie in the can.

If he doesn't deliver for whatever reason, everybody's gonna blame the sparkles.

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Oh please. If he's good enough for Nolan, he'll be fine here.
Huh, I hadn't put those two things together yet. That's interesting.
Old 05-31-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

For fuck’s sake some of you guys need to get over your hatred of Twilight already. They’re not great films, but honestly they were what they were for a certain demographic. They’ll be close to ten years removed once this film comes out and Pattinson is a decent actor.

Also again with the Leto comparison, this is nowhere near the same thing at this point. There’s no reason to even think that.
Old 05-31-19, 11:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

For fuck's sake, disregard anything he's done before! Ha, not possible, unless you haven't seen those art pieces. But I do agree, those films shouldn't factor in, but regardless it does.

And again, this is a perfect Leto comparison, they're going in a brand new direction. And again, it'll misfire big time. I think he's a very good actor, but that doesn't mean he'll fit into this at all.

Whether we like it or not, it's now confirmed. And I don't think Reeves is a guarantee on anything. But hey, it's not Snyder, so let's see what Reeves can do with this. Let's just sit back and wait 3-6 years when we start seeing some product, then we can argue if it was a good all or not.
Old 05-31-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I give up.
It's Friday and I'm not going to argue the choice of actor in a future popcorn movie.
There's simply too much undrunk beer in the world to worry about this shit...
Old 05-31-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
For fuck’s sake some of you guys need to get over your hatred of Twilight already. They’re not great films, but honestly they were what they were for a certain demographic. They’ll be close to ten years removed once this film comes out and Pattinson is a decent actor.

Also again with the Leto comparison, this is nowhere near the same thing at this point. There’s no reason to even think that.
Does Anna Kendrick get this kind of hate? Seems weird, but I haven't seen a single minute of any Twilight film, so what do I know?
Old 05-31-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit
For fuck's sake, disregard anything he's done before! Ha, not possible, unless you haven't seen those art pieces. But I do agree, those films shouldn't factor in, but regardless it does.

And again, this is a perfect Leto comparison, they're going in a brand new direction. And again, it'll misfire big time. I think he's a very good actor, but that doesn't mean he'll fit into this at all.

Whether we like it or not, it's now confirmed. And I don't think Reeves is a guarantee on anything. But hey, it's not Snyder, so let's see what Reeves can do with this. Let's just sit back and wait 3-6 years when we start seeing some product, then we can argue if it was a good all or not.
The problem is that you and others are basing his abilities as an actor solely on those films. If you were basing it on more than those films, which should also factor into his abilities as an actor rather than a series of films which were never aimed at a certain demographic including you and I it would be different.

Also again the Leto comparison doesn’t fit. Unless we see there’s going to be something drastically different about Pattinson’s look as Bruce/Batman or rumors of him acting like a freak behind the scenes because he’s method acting there’s not a reason to think that he’s comparable to Leto.
Old 05-31-19, 11:39 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

I'll be curious to see what people think after The Lighthouse comes out.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Why is it an assumption that we don't like the casting because of Twilight? I've never seen a minute (not counting trailers) of any of those films. I just think he doesn't at all fit the role of a rich playboy full of confidence. I have an easier time seeing him as BM proper than Bruce Wayne.

Does Anna Kendrick get this kind of hate? Seems weird, but I haven't seen a single minute of any Twilight film, so what do I know?
How about Dakota Fanning... yea she was in those too.
Old 05-31-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
Why is it an assumption that we don't like the casting because of Twilight? I've never seen a minute (not counting trailers) of any of those films. I just think he doesn't at all fit the role of a rich playboy full of confidence. I have an easier time seeing him as BM proper than Bruce Wayne.
A good chunk of the digs against him are because of that. Whether that’s why you personally don’t like the choice is one thing, but let’s be honest that’s the majority of the hate he’s getting from fanboys.
Old 05-31-19, 11:50 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Mike86

The problem is that you and others are basing his abilities as an actor solely on those films.

Also again the Leto comparison doesn’t fit. Unless we see there’s going to be something drastically different about Pattinson’s look as Bruce/Batman or rumors of him acting like a freak behind the scenes because he’s method acting there’s not a reason to think that he’s comparable to Leto.
If you read my previous posts, you'll see I really do think he's a good actor. I've seen his "good" films as well. You seem to think because he's a good actor, that a character like Batman is something he can easily do. I don't think that's the case for him in this role.

Leto comparison does fit, in terms of casting. I knew that BEFORE they revealed his look and take on it that he wouldn't be able to pull this off. Same case with Glitter Bats. Not all good actors are able to pull off any role just because they've shown they can actually act.
Old 05-31-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Honestly, I'm a terrible judge of Batman casting. I don't remember my response to Bale but I don't think I knew much about him. But otherwise the only Batman casting choice I did like (prior to filming) was Val Kilmer and that didn't turn out so well.
Old 05-31-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, I'm a terrible judge of Batman casting. I don't remember my response to Bale but I don't think I knew much about him. But otherwise the only Batman casting choice I did like (prior to filming) was Val Kilmer and that didn't turn out so well.
IMO Val played the role very well. Can't say the same for the cast around him.
Old 05-31-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

She's a relatively minor character in the series - I constantly forget she was in those movies.
Old 05-31-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I just think he doesn't at all fit the role of a rich playboy full of confidence. I have an easier time seeing him as BM proper than Bruce Wayne.
That'd be my primary source of hesitation with Pattinson. He wears the gloominess of the "real" Wayne/Batman duality well, but he's got to put up a convincing front for the public as Playboy Bruce. None of Pattinson's substantial recent roles do a great job of making one think he'll be able to do so; the closest thing going for him would probably be, oddly enough, his performance as Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter, which is essentially all charm.

I don't remember my response to Bale but I don't think I knew much about him.
I had seen Bale in Equilibrium and American Psycho, so I was pretty jazzed about him out of the gate and without any hesitations.
Old 05-31-19, 12:00 PM

Michael Sheen was in Twilight too.
Old 05-31-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Have you seen Cosmopolis? Minus the sociopath and psychotic tendencies of that character, there's your Bruce Wayne. David Cronenberg wrote and directed it

Old 05-31-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Have you seen Cosmopolis? Minus the sociopath and psychotic tendencies of that character, there's your Bruce Wayne. David Cronenberg wrote and directed it

I have. The sociopath and psychotic tilt to his character's polished attitude keeps me from saying the same thing.

I think he could pull it off, but that aspect will be the challenge.
Old 05-31-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I haven't. Worth checking out outside of seeing his performance?
Old 05-31-19, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit
If you read my previous posts, you'll see I really do think he's a good actor. I've seen his "good" films as well. You seem to think because he's a good actor, that a character like Batman is something he can easily do. I don't think that's the case for him in this role.

Leto comparison does fit, in terms of casting. I knew that BEFORE they revealed his look and take on it that he wouldn't be able to pull this off. Same case with Glitter Bats. Not all good actors are able to pull off any role just because they've shown they can actually act.
Vampires turn into bats... this is a natural career progression.
Old 05-31-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Old 05-31-19, 12:47 PM
Banned by request

He'll have to de-glitter first.
Old 05-31-19, 01:05 PM

Yea... that is already getting old.
Old 05-31-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I haven't. Worth checking out outside of seeing his performance?
... eh. It's lesser Cronenberg. I think it's an interesting, ultimately odd think piece with a solid central performance, but I wouldn't want to do it again.
Old 05-31-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

If there’s one thing I’m certain of it’s that the Internet is totally measured and justified in its reaction when a former teen heartthrob actor is cast in a major Batman role.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.