Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Mad Max 2 (The Road Warrior) vs. Mad Max: Fury Road
Mad Max 2
57.14%
Mad Max: Fury Road
40.82%
Both are unimpressive
2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

The DVD title card is The Road Warrior. I won't upgrade to blu because the Saul Bass logo is gone & Warner changed the aspect ratio of the opening by replacing it.

I was really surprised when Thunderdome was released that it received very positive reviews. I figured in time the masses would turn. I like it though... So many great lines

"Two men enter, one man leaves"

"Bust a deal, Face the wheel"

"Captain Walker... Mrs. Walker"

Last edited by hasslein; 05-20-15 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-20-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I never plan on watching Beyond Thunderdome ever again. I don't get the praise for it because it sucks.
Thank you
Old 05-20-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are way worse sci-fi action and post-apocalyptic movies than Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. There are better ones too, but I've seen way, way worse.
Old 05-21-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who praises Beyond Thunderdome?
Old 05-21-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The original Mad Max has a special place in my heart, as my friends and I discovered it at our local video store, and we rented it over and over and over again in the early '80s. When we all went to see a new movie called The Road Warrior, none of us knew that it was a sequel to MM until the opening voiceover began. We all turned to each other and said, "Holy shit, it's Mad Max!" We were stoked then, and even more amazed when we walked out.

MM2 is a near perfect movie. Quintessential action sequences, with enough character building that you feel for these people, all without sacrificing the DIY/punk aesthetic of the earlier film -- just done on a larger scale.

MM3 was a huge letdown. Some great scenes, but really seemed like a Disneyfied version of a Mad Max movie. The PG-13 was probably to blame for that.

Fury Road is the ultimate balls-to-the-wall non-stop action film, but it lacks a bit in character development, and for that reason it is (slightly) inferior to MM2. But you can be damn sure that I will be viewing it on 3D blu-ray very, very often.
Old 05-21-15, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
:raises hand:
Old 05-21-15, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Well, Roger Ebert, for starters.
Old 05-21-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Ebert gave Phantom Menace three and a half stars, and Blue Velvet only one. Nobody's perfect.
Old 10-21-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Mad Max 2 is better, duh. Still enjoyed FR immensely.

--
Yep, my opinion as well.
Road Warrior 9/10
Fury Road 7.5/10
Old 10-21-15, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

The Road Warrior is still the best of the bunch.

Fury Road has some amazing set pieces, but I prefer the final chase sequence in Road Warrior. Plus, as Numanoid said, there's a lack of character development in Fury Road compared to The Road Warrior (not that either had much, but still).
Old 10-21-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Oddly I think Fury Road has pretty good character development. You just don't really notice it until you watch the movie a second/third time.
Old 10-21-15, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most, if not all, is through body language, visual design, and action of the characters.
Old 10-21-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

While I thought Furt Road was pretty badass I'd give the edge to Road Warrior. IMO, FR has two flaws that take it down a notch:
1. Max is a secondary character
2. I think Miller over did it with the 2x speed. I get that it's a staple in the series and I'm ok with it for the most part but there were whole sequences that spanned several minutes where the film was sped up the entire time. When I'm taken out of the viewing experience because I think I accidentally pushed the FF button on my remote, the visual flare has turned into a gimmick.
Old 10-21-15, 02:59 PM
Banned

Eh. Max hasn't been much of motivating factor in a while. He's been following other people's situtations since MM2.
Old 10-21-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
While I thought Furt Road was pretty badass I'd give the edge to Road Warrior. IMO, FR has two flaws that take it down a notch:
2. I think Miller over did it with the 2x speed. I get that it's a staple in the series and I'm ok with it for the most part but there were whole sequences that spanned several minutes where the film was sped up the entire time. When I'm taken out of the viewing experience because I think I accidentally pushed the FF button on my remote, the visual flare has turned into a gimmick.
Which sequence was sped up for the entire time? I notice the speed ups when they happen, but they were all for a matter of seconds.
Old 10-21-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Both great, but the Road Warrior is superior.
Old 10-21-15, 03:03 PM
Banned

Yeah. There were little moments. Just little bits throughout. I don't remember an actual sequence that was totally sped up.
Old 10-22-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We tried to watch the original Mad Max last month and both fell asleep because we were bored to tears. Is the Road Warrior that much better?
Old 10-22-15, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fury Road for me, by quite a bit. Still love The Road Warrior / Mad Max 2, but Fury Road is sublime.
Old 10-22-15, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I also find that guitar rocker in Fury Road quite annoying.
Old 10-23-15, 12:13 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Which sequence was sped up for the entire time? I notice the speed ups when they happen, but they were all for a matter of seconds.
Having just seen this for the first time on BD, most of the action sequences were sped up the whole time, as well as just some odd moments. I get it was to try to make the movie seem more chaotic, but it's a distraction nonetheless.

I liked Fury Road, but I don't think it's as good as any of the previous films, and wildly overrated, similar to Dredd, but at least this movie was actually entertaining. Sure, Max hasn't really driven the plots of the sequels, but like mentioned previously, Max was a secondary character. The movie really could have worked without Max; here he was shoehorned because of the franchise name.
Old 10-23-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll have to check out the BD, neither the version I have on VOD or the version in local theaters was sped up for a full action scene (it was really obvious when it did happen and bothered me initially. ) But I've heard others say the same and now I'm curious.
Old 10-23-15, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brack
Having just seen this for the first time on BD, most of the action sequences were sped up the whole time, as well as just some odd moments. I get it was to try to make the movie seem more chaotic, but it's a distraction nonetheless.

I liked Fury Road, but I don't think it's as good as any of the previous films, and wildly overrated, similar to Dredd, but at least this movie was actually entertaining. Sure, Max hasn't really driven the plots of the sequels, but like mentioned previously, Max was a secondary character. The movie really could have worked without Max; here he was shoehorned because of the franchise name.
That's kind of the fun of Max. He's a wanderer of sorts. A hero who falls into another's world and helps out. And while a film w/ just Furiosa doing her thing would need some interesting workarounds to make that work... Max is essential to the plot. Max hasn't really been a world focus since MM1. Sure we follow the guy but it's not his world to command. We follow him for the most part. Add in that Max in the original three? Is a very different man in all of them. This is Max with whatever life events haunting him now.

About the sped up thing. What sequences were sped up for you? I don't have the BD or anything but I remember them pretty well. Aside from those little flourishes of Miller's MM style... I can't say that any one whole sequence was sped up.
Old 10-23-15, 12:59 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

And yet Fury Road tries to connect with the earlier films with flashbacks, some recreated, and some that seem to have been created out of thin air.

Her name is Furiosa...the movie is called Fury Road; seems obvious that she is the star of the movie. And this Max is more like the one post-Mad Max than one that would be post-Mad Max 2 or post-Beyond Thunderdome. Yeah, it's a different actor, but the performance seems out of place unless we are now making Max similar to James Bond, where the actor is interchangeable.
Old 10-23-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
And yet Fury Road tries to connect with the earlier films with flashbacks, some recreated, and some that seem to have been created out of thin air.

Her name is Furiosa...the movie is called Fury Road; seems obvious that she is the star of the movie. And this Max is more like the one post-Mad Max than one that would be post-Mad Max 2 or post-Beyond Thunderdome. Yeah, it's a different actor, but the performance seems out of place unless we are now making Max similar to James Bond, where the actor is interchangeable.
Yes and no.

It connects to the prequel comics that Miller plotted/wrote that came out earlier this year. Of course, if you're not aware of them (as most of the general public is not) then one would not know. I'd say it retains the "spirit" of the earlier works while creating a newer world. It's fine.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.