Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Mad Max 2 (The Road Warrior) vs. Mad Max: Fury Road
Mad Max 2
28
57.14%
Mad Max: Fury Road
20
40.82%
Both are unimpressive
1
2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Old 10-23-15, 02:06 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,037
Received 1,162 Likes on 893 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

The beginning portion of FR had plenty of sped up scenes when Max is trying to escape the tower. I actually have one friend who stopped watching after those first 5 minutes, because it took him out of the film completely with the speed up.
Old 10-23-15, 02:19 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,250
Received 1,002 Likes on 795 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The beginning portion of FR had plenty of sped up scenes when Max is trying to escape the tower. I actually have one friend who stopped watching after those first 5 minutes, because it took him out of the film completely with the speed up.
Yeah, the opening foot chase was jarring as hell.
Old 10-23-15, 02:20 PM
  #53  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,007
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yes and no.

It connects to the prequel comics that Miller plotted/wrote that came out earlier this year. Of course, if you're not aware of them (as most of the general public is not) then one would not know. I'd say it retains the "spirit" of the earlier works while creating a newer world. It's fine.
Movies are movies, comics are comics. I shouldn't have to read a comic to connect with some random flashbacks that amount to nothing anyway.
Old 10-23-15, 02:23 PM
  #54  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Originally Posted by Brack
Movies are movies, comics are comics. I shouldn't have to read a comic to connect with some random flashbacks that amount to nothing anyway.
You couldn't accept that this guy went through some shit that haunts him today? Even w/o the comics...which I do want to read at some point.... I got that Max fucked up bad before Fury Road started. The whats and whys didn't matter. Miller did fine with giving us some history on Max. Nor do I think the film implies that you need to know more beyond that. The comics are just added world building but not essential to the film.
Old 10-23-15, 02:26 PM
  #55  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,007
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
You couldn't accept that this guy went through some shit that haunts him today? Even w/o the comics...which I do want to read at some point.... I got that Max fucked up bad before Fury Road started. The whats and whys didn't matter. Miller did fine with giving us some history on Max.
Yeah, it was called the first Mad Max. That's all the history you need.
Old 10-23-15, 02:28 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,037
Received 1,162 Likes on 893 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Originally Posted by Brack
Movies are movies, comics are comics. I shouldn't have to read a comic to connect with some random flashbacks that amount to nothing anyway.
Which is why you get the flashbacks that don't have anything to do with the original films but do have that same theme.

If can't buy it then that's not the problem of the film.
Old 10-23-15, 02:34 PM
  #57  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,007
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Which is why you get the flashbacks that don't have anything to do with the original films but do have that same theme.

If can't buy it then that's not the problem of the film.
It's not a matter of "buying" a flashback; it's the fact that they aren't dealt with or done very well, and an excuse to peddle off some comic books evidently.
Old 10-23-15, 03:47 PM
  #58  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

I heavily doubt Miller did that to sell some comics. It's just added filler. Not essential.

What is your issue exactly w/ not accepting that Max fucked up? Remember. We don't see a lot of world building in these films. Shit. MM1 and MM2 have a wild event happen between them. We got the same thing w/ Fury Road. We jump in Max's life. Points in his timeline. We don't immediately follow the man event to event. We don't need to.
Old 10-24-15, 07:57 AM
  #59  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I basically figured out from from context clues that the little girl was someone Max had failed to save and was therefore haunting him (literally). One of the things I liked about the film was how it didn't spoon-feed the audience that, you get all kinds of hints about a larger mythology that Miller obviously thought out, but the movie doesn't tell you about directly and just hints about. If you've never seen any of the previous films, you get all of the exposition about the world-nuclear war, no gas, apocalypse-I'm the first sixty seconds, and then it's off and running.
Old 10-27-15, 01:25 AM
  #60  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,007
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

None of the other movies have stupid flashback scenes/sequences to explain why Max is the way he is. It's not like anyone seeing this movie hasn't seen the other Mad Max movies at least at some point unless they're teenagers or whatever.

The movie just doesn't fit with the previous MM movies. It's trying way too hard and just isn't as good with the characters as the earlier films. And Max isn't central to the plot, like he was in all of the other movies. Just watched Mad Max 2 and Beyond Thunderdome, and still think they work better than this slicker looking, higher budgeted but ultimately pointless exercise in what an updated Mad Max movie would be I guess, but based on the worldwide take we won't be seeing anymore of these. It's fine for what it is, but isn't even close to being the best in the series.
Old 10-27-15, 01:56 AM
  #61  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Originally Posted by Brack
Just watched Mad Max 2 and Beyond Thunderdome, and still think they work better than this slicker looking, higher budgeted but ultimately pointless exercise in what an updated Mad Max movie would be I guess, but based on the worldwide take we won't be seeing anymore of these.
Beyond Thunderdome "works better" than Fury Road? Are you serious?
Old 10-27-15, 02:10 AM
  #62  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,007
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Beyond Thunderdome "works better" than Fury Road? Are you serious?
As a Mad Max movie, certainly. Fury Road isn't even about Max.
Old 10-27-15, 02:23 AM
  #63  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Originally Posted by Brack
As a Mad Max movie, certainly. Fury Road isn't even about Max.

Sure it was, and it was light years better than Thunderdome.
Old 10-27-15, 04:12 AM
  #64  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Originally Posted by Brack
As a Mad Max movie, certainly. Fury Road isn't even about Max.
Neither was MM2. We followed him constantly but it wasn't about him either once the actual plot comes in. MM3 too. None of the MM films have been about Max except for the first one.
Old 10-27-15, 04:53 AM
  #65  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,007
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Neither was MM2. We followed him constantly but it wasn't about him either once the actual plot comes in. MM3 too. None of the MM films have been about Max except for the first one.
Not the plot, but he was central nonetheless. Max was definitely the driving force of both of those films. He was in nearly every scene and we identified with his character, despite being an outsider. In Fury Road, we don't get much from Max in that sense. He's designated to being a driver for crying out loud. Until the last 20 minutes of the movie, his character is just a supporting one, and even then he's only good for coming up with the idea of going back. Plus the main villain is pretty weak, even if his suit thing and face mask were kind of cool. It's not a good thing when Furiosa and Nux steal the show from the title character.
Old 10-27-15, 04:59 AM
  #66  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,007
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Sure it was, and it was light years better than Thunderdome.
I beg to differ. I never got a sense of the society and who and what the villains were doing outside of Immortan Joe will his cult. The other groups pop as merely obstacles for the numerous chases sequences. Only near the end of the movie did it finally slow down enough for me to care about anything going on in the movie, so in that respect the movie started to feel like a Mad Max movie, but it was disappointing to see how long it took to get there. Max's role until the end was being a blood bag (still didn't understand how the villains figured that out; still a stupid plot device) and getaway driver for the most part.
Old 10-27-15, 09:00 AM
  #67  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,250
Received 1,002 Likes on 795 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Originally Posted by Brack
I beg to differ. I never got a sense of the society and who and what the villains were doing outside of Immortan Joe will his cult. The other groups pop as merely obstacles for the numerous chases sequences. Only near the end of the movie did it finally slow down enough for me to care about anything going on in the movie, so in that respect the movie started to feel like a Mad Max movie, but it was disappointing to see how long it took to get there. Max's role until the end was being a blood bag (still didn't understand how the villains figured that out; still a stupid plot device) and getaway driver for the most part.
I tended to agree after my first watch through, but there actually is quite a bit layered in there and throughout that I didn't pick up initially, imo this is one of the few movies that works better in repeat, in large part because you aren't trying to follow anything along and have a much better feel for the characters at that point, gives you time to pick up on the detail littered throughout. That and Max definitely keeps the gears oiled and turning in the movie.
Old 10-27-15, 03:45 PM
  #68  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,007
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

I watched it twice in a 24 hour period, nothing changed for me, other than it solidified my opinion.
Old 10-27-15, 03:48 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,250
Received 1,002 Likes on 795 Posts
Re: Mad Max 2 vs. Mad Max: Fury Road

Weird, to each their own.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.