Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The New Mutants (2020, D: Josh Boone) S: Taylor-Joy, Williams, Heaton, Braga

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The New Mutants (2020, D: Josh Boone) S: Taylor-Joy, Williams, Heaton, Braga

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-20, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: The New Mutants (2020, D: Josh Boone) S: Taylor-Joy, Williams, Heaton, Braga

Originally Posted by milo bloom
When did Garfield become a mutant?
Disney also inherited the Garfield universe with the Fox acquisition.
Old 05-07-20, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Re: The New Mutants (2020, D: Josh Boone) S: Taylor-Joy, Williams, Heaton, Braga

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Disney also inherited the Garfield universe with the Fox acquisition.
OMG, I was just being silly, but I just googled this and you're right.

These mergers are out of control. Sure, it's neat to see the X-Men with the rest of the MCU, but where is the room for creativity now? It's all one big blob.
Old 05-07-20, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I would be very surprised if Disney and Feige dropped the X-Men and mutants into the MCU through a unreleased Fox property they inherited. They didn't integrate the pre-MCU Ang Lee Hulk film into the MCU, or the Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland Spider-Man films into it, either, so I doubt they'll do the same with the X-Men.
It's the fact that it's unreleased, and also now wholly owned through them, which could mean that they could tie it into the MCU. Also, the premise of the film, which seems to rely on the main characters not really being aware of what a mutant is, could make it a way to "introduce" mutants into the MCU.

There were rumors last August:
https://mcuexchange.com/new-mutants-recut-mcu-report/
Kevin Feige is hoping to keep his options open on potentially releasing New Mutants as part of the MCU..
Also, a Disney email from January called it an MCU film by accident, although we don't know if the mistake was calling it and MCU film when it isn't, or accidentally revealing that it is an MCU film too early.
https://www.newsarama.com/48571-is-n...f-the-mcu.html
"There’s a seriously electrifying new addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and it comes in the form of the latest from Twentieth Century Fox and Marvel Entertainment," reads the latest newsletter from D23, the official Disney fan club.
Old 05-07-20, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

After seeing the trailer, it would probably be for the best to just bury it on Disney +. Guessing they will include some kind of end credit scene that will try to awkwardly connect it with the MCU.

Old 05-07-20, 04:51 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
After seeing the trailer, it would probably be for the best to just bury it on Disney +.
Contracts prevent that from happening.
Old 05-07-20, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's the fact that it's unreleased, and also now wholly owned through them, which could mean that they could tie it into the MCU. Also, the premise of the film, which seems to rely on the main characters not really being aware of what a mutant is, could make it a way to "introduce" mutants into the MCU.

There were rumors last August:
https://mcuexchange.com/new-mutants-recut-mcu-report/

Also, a Disney email from January called it an MCU film by accident, although we don't know if the mistake was calling it and MCU film when it isn't, or accidentally revealing that it is an MCU film too early.
https://www.newsarama.com/48571-is-n...f-the-mcu.html
I heard that they scrubbed references to the other Fox X-Men films from it. That might have been done to integrate it into the MCU. Or because they wanted to make it a standalone film now that the Fox X-Men series is dead.

One indication that they might not integrate it into the MCU is because of the way Fox bounced it around their schedule, which leads to me think they didn't have much confidence in it. (Or, in plain English, it sucks and they're trying to figure out where to bury it.)

Feige also keeps a pretty tight clamp on the MCU, and doesn't even let the ABC series like Agents of SHIELD and Inhumans into it. Nor the Netflix series, even though they all, ostensibly, take place in it.

Also seems kind of weird if they used The New Mutants, of all of the X-Men franchise properties, as the X-Men's debutante ball into the MCU.

Then again, with COVID-19 shutting down Hollywood, they might be tempted to integrate an already completed film as part of the MCU.

Old 05-07-20, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Feige also keeps a pretty tight clamp on the MCU, and doesn't even let the ABC series like Agents of SHIELD and Inhumans into it. Nor the Netflix series, even though they all, ostensibly, take place in it.
That was different; he was having conflicts with the head of Marvel, which controlled the TV side as well. After Feige got the movie division moved to be directly under Disney, the split was such that it didn't allow for easy integration anymore. And Inhumans was apparently Perlmutter's baby, even back when it was going to be a movie.

Jarvis from Agent Carter did appear in Avengers Endgame though.

Also seems kind of weird if they used The New Mutants, of all of the X-Men franchise properties, as the X-Men's debutante ball into the MCU.
Maybe in the sense that it's not a "grand entrance," but any introduction is going to have to answer the question "why hasn't anyone in the MCU heard of mutants before?" They could go full reboot, and have it be just at the beginning of mutations appearing in the population, but the apparent premise of New Mutants, that there are already mutants but a secret group is keeping them secret/prisoner, offers another explanation that would allow other fully grown mutants to come "out of hiding" so to speak.
Old 05-07-20, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Contracts prevent that from happening.
This is also why I have doubts it's going to be some important movie bridging MCU and the Fox films, if it can't even stream on Disney + for a while when it does go to streaming.

Last thing they want to do is have a movie like that be on HBO Max.
Old 05-07-20, 08:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Let X-Men be X-Men, let MCU be just that. I see no reason for crossover or additions. Just so many characters. 2 entities is fine...
Old 05-07-20, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Let X-Men be X-Men, let MCU be just that. I see no reason for crossover or additions. Just so many characters. 2 entities is fine...
Besides the fact that they all belong to the same comic universe and always have...
Old 05-07-20, 08:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

I know, but never have they been together on screen and really don’t need it. If there was some type of story that made some lick of sense then I’m all for it. Hell I love both. To be together would be great, but I think they are fine without. X-Men just needs this New Mutants reboot, if that’s what it is. MCU still trucking along, but we’ll never have the first 23...
Old 05-07-20, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
This is also why I have doubts it's going to be some important movie bridging MCU and the Fox films, if it can't even stream on Disney + for a while when it does go to streaming.
I thought dex14 was saying that contracts prevent it going straight to Disney+ . There's sometimes contracts with actors and directors and such that, based on profit participation and such, a theatrical release could be mandatory.
Old 05-07-20, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

This is why we need the mutants in the MCU...

Old 05-07-20, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I thought dex14 was saying that contracts prevent it going straight to Disney+ . There's sometimes contracts with actors and directors and such that, based on profit participation and such, a theatrical release could be mandatory.
I thought he was talking about the Fox contract which makes this go to HBO first. Could be wrong though.
Old 05-08-20, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I thought he was talking about the Fox contract which makes this go to HBO first. Could be wrong though.
No that is correct.
Old 05-13-20, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

New theatrical release date: Aug. 28, 2020. Let's hope this one sticks.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/disney-...ng-1202933694/
Old 05-13-20, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
You're out of your mind, that's crazy! The diehard fans would never accept that, and connecting the two would do nothing but benefit everyone, there's no frigging way Disney will keep them separate. One reason for the success of the MCU films (and honestly, one big reason for the early success of the comics in the 60's), was because everything is interconnected.
Old 05-13-20, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

At this point they must really think they have something with this movie. It would've been so easy to dump it, but they keep pushing for it to be a theatrical release.
Old 05-13-20, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Even if this only makes $100M That's $100M more than it would get if it went straight to Disney + or Hulu.

Might as well get something out of it,
Old 05-13-20, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

This film has become such a curiosity. I don’t know that it’ll be any good but I want to see it.
Old 05-13-20, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

They must have the unofficial record for the most changes to a movie theatrical release. No?
Old 05-13-20, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
At this point they must really think they have something with this movie. It would've been so easy to dump it, but they keep pushing for it to be a theatrical release.
That's an interesting point. Unless they had a contract with one of the actors that it had to be in the theaters for at least a week, then they could have just dropped it on VOD & Blu and be done with it.
Maybe they want to keep a certain amount of prestige to the X franchise.

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
They must have the unofficial record for the most changes to a movie theatrical release. No?
I doubt it would happen, but a fantastic extra for the Blu release would be a documentary about its troubled production.
Old 05-13-20, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
There was a movie with Ewan McGregor called Nightwatch that was listed in Entertainment Weekly's Winter/Spring/Summer/Fall movie Preview issues for like 3 years straight.
The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (05-13-20)
Old 05-13-20, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
That's an interesting point. Unless they had a contract with one of the actors that it had to be in the theaters for at least a week, then they could have just dropped it on VOD & Blu and be done with it.
Maybe they want to keep a certain amount of prestige to the X franchise.
We have seen examples of Disney having no qualms about putting a particular movie in their Streaming Services during this pandemic so why are they so adamant about having a theatrical release for this? Does it tie in to what they are trying to do with the Mutants in the MCU or is it a contract like Milo is indicating? This is so bizarre.
Old 05-13-20, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sauce07
There was a movie with Ewan McGregor called Nightwatch that was listed in Entertainment Weekly's Winter/Spring/Summer/Fall movie Preview issues for like 3 years straight.
You might be misremembering that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightw..._film)#Release
In the United States, Nightwatch was originally scheduled to come out in the fall of 1996. Due to the extended post-production, it was pushed back to several dates, including spring/summer 1997[ and October 1997 (as suggested by the film's 1997 copyright year), before eventually getting an American theatrical run in April 1998.
So that's at least 3 date pushes, although it was only delayed by a year and a half.

Meanwhile, New Mutants had these release dates:
  • April 13, 2018
  • February 22, 2019
  • August 2, 2019
  • April 3, 2020
  • August 28, 2020
That's 4 release date changes, delaying it about 2 1/2 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ne...ost-production
https://collider.com/deadpool-2-new-...-release-date/

There have been films that have been delayed longer, but I'm not sure any had as many date changes.
https://screencrush.com/longest-delayed-movies/
https://collider.com/delayed-movies/

Last edited by Jay G.; 05-13-20 at 09:26 PM. Reason: 4 date changes, 5 dates total

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.