Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The New Mutants (2020, D: Josh Boone) S: Taylor-Joy, Williams, Heaton, Braga

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The New Mutants (2020, D: Josh Boone) S: Taylor-Joy, Williams, Heaton, Braga

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 668 Likes on 464 Posts
Re: The New Mutants (2020, D: Josh Boone) S: Taylor-Joy, Williams, Heaton, Braga

Originally Posted by brayzie
I think the prejudice towards mutants was explained well enough in the films and in the Busiek/Ross series Marvels. Regular people are fearful of being replaced as a species. But it still is kind of funny considering that the public's not freaked out about Norse gods actually existing, people who can fly while igniting themselves on fire, a vigilante with spider-like powers, an orange rock man, a woman who can turn invisible and potentially spy on other people, etc etc.
Again, Civil War, Sokovia Accords, etc. I think the next Spider-man movie may reflect dealing with the fear people have from fake news about a powered person. The first Avengers film had a plotline derived from SHEILD trying to come up with a way to handle another Norse god invasion.

But having the populace in general fearful of every superhero would kill some of the fantasy of it. Plus, those are known "good guys," they first appear doing heroic acts and such. The premise of being fearful of heroes is how we ended up with Batman v Superman.
Old 01-28-20, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: The New Mutants (2020, D: Josh Boone) S: Taylor-Joy, Williams, Heaton, Braga

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Again, Civil War, Sokovia Accords, etc. I think the next Spider-man movie may reflect dealing with the fear people have from fake news about a powered person. The first Avengers film had a plotline derived from SHEILD trying to come up with a way to handle another Norse god invasion.

But having the populace in general fearful of every superhero would kill some of the fantasy of it. Plus, those are known "good guys," they first appear doing heroic acts and such. The premise of being fearful of heroes is how we ended up with Batman v Superman.
I'm thinking in terms of the Marvel universe in comics, especially with the history of it and how it was presented in Marvels and other titles. The MCU seems like it has a better handle on that since Shield was keeping tabs since day one, and the government was working behind the scenes with them since the 40s. There was no Submariner or OG Human Torch in the MCU to mess that narrative up.

I forgot about that plotline from the first Avengers film. "Fake news" will be an interesting topic if they do that, with regards to the Daily Bugle.
Old 03-02-20, 03:53 PM

Received 5,053 Likes on 3,415 Posts

Old 03-09-20, 12:35 PM

A lot has been said about The New Mutants, director Josh Boone’s X-Men spin-off, since it began filming in 2017. The movie, described as a “rubber reality” YA horror film, was once planned for a release in April 2018 back in the franchise’s heyday but was delayed multiple times when Disney purchased 21st Century Fox — and, therefore, the X-Men. Along the way, reports about the movie planning for reshoots became routine. Even veteran franchise producer Simon Kinberg, who’s now working on a sci-fi film for Netflix, mentioned them last year in an interview. But, for all this talk, Boone confirms they never happened.

“Everybody said we did reshoots! We’ve never done reshoots,” he tells EW over the phone in late February. “And I’ll tell you this: if there hadn’t been a merger, I’m sure we would’ve done reshoots the same way every movie does pickups. We didn’t even do that because by the time the merger was done and everything was settled, everybody’s older.”

By “everybody,” he means the cast. In August 2017, Game of Thrones alum Maisie Williams (Rahne Sinclair/Wolfsbane), The Witch’s Anya Taylor-Joy (Illyana Rasputin/Magik), Stranger Things’ Charlie Heaton (Sam Guthrie/Cannonball), Looking For Alaska‘s Henry Zaga (Roberto “Bobby” da Costa/Sunspot), and Another Life‘s Blu Hunt (Danielle Moonstar/Mirage) were still filming The New Mutants just outside of Boston. At the time, Boone described the concept to EW — about five teen mutants held at a secret facility against their will who face terrifying apparitions — as “Stephen King meets John Hughes.” Williams was 20 at the time. Now, she's 22.

By December 2017, just a couple months later, word broke that Disney would be purchasing Fox properties for more than $52 billion. And with Disney’s focus remaining on its ever-expanding Avengers franchise, The New Mutants was delayed. It was around this time that reports suggested the film would undergo reshoots to “make it scarier,” as Williams herself later said in a March 2019 interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

Speaking with EW now, Williams says, “The movie is exactly the movie we set out to make. I was nervous when they were talking about reshooting or re-editing that it was gonna be very different, but honestly, it’s exactly what we set out to do.” It was a sometimes aggravating situation with the only information she heard about the film coming from news headlines. “I would be in press for something else and then [reporters would] ask me about [The New Mutants] and the last thing I heard was, ‘Nothing until we know something.’”

“We had heard nothing because of the merger,” Boone adds. “It was radio silence for about a year where we had no new information at all.” During this period, the filmmaker finally found the time — and the green light — to make his long-awaited series adaptation of King’s The Stand for CBS All Access, news for which came out in January 2019. It wasn’t until after that Disney asked Boone t0 come back and finish editing The New Mutants, which he was more than happy to do. “When they called me right before I went to go make The Stand and said, ‘Would you come finish the movie?’ I said, ‘I would f—in’ love to come finish the movie!’”

When Boone walked away after those initial delays, the visual effects were still unfinished, which is why that original trailer, released in October 2017, didn't reveal anything from the second half of the movie. "In the editing, we were probably 75 percent done," Boone explains. "We came back and finished it up. It took a couple months, and it was nice to be able to come back. Knate [Lee], my co-writer, and I, we hadn’t seen it in a year. We did a bunch of things here and there that we hadn’t thought about or noticed a year before.”

That also included finishing up the visuals for Illyana’s sorceress abilities, notably her signature sword that materializes out of her arm, as well as Lockheed, the character’s fan-favorite purple dragon companion in the comic books. “You see a little bit of him there," Boone says of the latest trailer. "I wouldn't say too much more, but I was pleased with how we had him in the world and had him as part of Illyana’s story."

When the movie was finally finished, the filmmaker and his main cast — including Alice Braga as the mysterious head of the facility, Dr. Cecilia Reyes — reunited in New York City for the first official screening. These were the first people Boone wanted to watch the film.

“It’s very... thriller,” Williams describes. “I think the nature of a bunch of teenagers being trapped at a facility, all with individual powers which they don’t know how to use yet or even summon, that lends itself really well to suspense and scary cuts. It’s all done in a very honest way and it really does come from the characters and the situations that they’re in. It’s not a happy, upbeat superhero comedy film. It’s definitely very dark.”

The New Mutants will now open in theaters on April 3.
https://ew.com/movies/the-new-mutant...isie-williams/
Old 03-09-20, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 872 Likes on 635 Posts

But that's not where Lockheed came from and he's Kitty's companion.
Old 03-09-20, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's interesting that they claim they never even did traditional pickups. Pickups sometimes include basic shots like certain inserts and things that they don't realize they need until they start assembling the edit. Maybe they did some second unit pickups, but never called back the primary actors.

Also, he didn't say they didn't do any ADR. With ADR, actors aging would be less of a concern since their voice is less likely to have significantly changed. They could alter some lines and insert new ones without having to shoot all new film footage.
Old 03-10-20, 11:40 AM

Old 03-12-20, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Delayed again! They should just dump this on Disney+ and be done with it.
Old 03-12-20, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
This and Artemis Fowl...
Old 03-13-20, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Disney also delayed Mulan, and possibly Black Widow is next. So related to the pandemic, I assume, not the movie itself.
Old 03-13-20, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Disney also delayed Mulan, and possibly Black Widow is next. So related to the pandemic, I assume, not the movie itself.
Yeah, everything is getting shifted, New Mutants is just unlucky enough to be included with this most recent round of delays, after being delayed so much already.

The thing is that movie theaters will need films once this recent crisis is over, and film productions are getting delayed as well, so there's a chance the entire film schedule could get shifted by months. So studios aren't likely to dump a film they think worthy of a theatrical release straight to video until it's absolutely clear this won't create a big gap in their schedule they can't fill, and/or the film will somehow do very poorly if rescheduled.
Old 05-05-20, 04:27 PM

Apparently, Amazon temporarily had a digital pre-order ($25.99) option available. It has since been taken down.

Last edited by dex14; 05-05-20 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-05-20, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,340 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Grace Randolph tweeted that one of her "reliable" sources said this was going to drop on VOD within a month. We shall see.
Old 05-06-20, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts

That makes sense. So many higher profile movies getting bumped, better to get some revenue now while the public is starving for new releases than have it die at the box office in six months.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (05-06-20)
Old 05-06-20, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,072 Posts

If this is part of the X-Men cinematic universe, just give me a Bluray with a nice slipcover and I'll buy it and add to the rest of my X-collection.
Old 05-06-20, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
If this is part of the X-Men cinematic universe...
It might be MCU.
Old 05-06-20, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not blind buying it, though. Fuck that.
Old 05-06-20, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Grace Randolph tweeted that one of her "reliable" sources said this was going to drop on VOD within a month. We shall see.
I'd blind-buy this, no problem. Cheaper than seeing in the theater (which I probably would have done anyway).
Old 05-06-20, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
I'd blind-buy this, no problem. Cheaper than seeing in the theater (which I probably would have done anyway).

Not me. I would have used A-List. Now if they price this for a less than $10 rental, then maybe.
Old 05-06-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 893 Likes on 417 Posts

VOD is not cheaper than a $5 Tuesday ticket, which is all I would have bought for this one.
Old 05-06-20, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It might be MCU.
I would be very surprised if Disney and Feige dropped the X-Men and mutants into the MCU through a unreleased Fox property they inherited. They didn't integrate the pre-MCU Ang Lee Hulk film into the MCU, or the Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland Spider-Man films into it, either, so I doubt they'll do the same with the X-Men.
Old 05-06-20, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
They didn't integrate the pre-MCU Ang Lee Hulk film into the MCU, or the Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland Spider-Man films into it, either, so I doubt they'll do the same with the X-Men.
You mean the Garfield films, right? Not Holland.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (05-06-20)
Old 05-06-20, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
When did Garfield become a mutant?
Old 05-06-20, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 967 Likes on 683 Posts

If this was the last hurrah for the Fox X-men universe this pandemic is a nice easy way for Disney to dump it, make some dough and sweep it under the rug.
Old 05-06-20, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Yeah, Garfield. I'm getting old and all of these whippersnappers look the same to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.