Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers:AOU vs. Star Wars:TFA; which will open higher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which will have a larger opening?
Avengers: Age of Ultron
21.18%
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
78.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers:AOU vs. Star Wars:TFA; which will open higher

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts
Re: Avengers:AOU vs. Star Wars:TFA; which will open higher

^ True, but the fact remains that no movie has ever made more than $84 million on its opening weekend in December. Unless everyone puts their holiday shopping/social stuff on hold, it has a lot going against it. It will still open large, but it has a lot more exterior factors against it (weather, etc.).
Old 04-20-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138

The Star Wars brand name is a license to print movie. If Darth Vader Takes a Shit in 3-D came out tomorrow, it would have out-grossed Gone With the Wind by the end of the month.
While this will be huge, the Star Wars brand isn't always a license to print money (I assume that's what you meant there), even with films.

Let's now forget Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated film, which made a whopping $60 million worldwide.
Old 04-20-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,033 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Wow. The numbers don't lie. If $84 million is the record than there's no way SW could best Avengers. Makes me wonder why Disney went with the December release date.
Movies with legs do better in December. You have far less competition than you have in the summer and most everybody, not just kids, gets quite a few days off during the period. The two highest grossing domestic movies were December releases (Titanic, Avatar).

A monster opening isn't everything. Star Wars will likely open around $140 - $150m and be the biggest opening in December to date, but it won't beat Avengers II in that regard. It has a shot at total gross though, as I think AII will have a good bit of fall off for some reason.
Old 04-20-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Avengers will open bigger than Star Wars and after all is said and done it will end up like this:

Titanic
The Avengers Age of Ultron
The Avengers
Star Wars The Force Awakens
So Force Awakens will top Iron Man 3's $174 million opening? I don't see that happening either. I thought Abrams originally wanted to wait until May 2016 for release. That date might have gotten it closer to $200 mil. I think they'd be thrilled with $150 mil.
Old 04-20-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
So Force Awakens will top Iron Man 3's $174 million opening? I don't see that happening either. I thought Abrams originally wanted to wait until May 2016 for release. That date might have gotten it closer to $200 mil. I think they'd be thrilled with $150 mil.
He listed overall grosses. Though I have my doubts that AoU tops or even gets close to the first Avengers movie.
Old 04-20-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. The numbers don't lie. If $84 million is the record than there's no way SW could best Avengers. Makes me wonder why Disney went with the December release date.
Star Wars has the last two weeks of December all to itself. Every studio has moved its December releases out of the path of destruction that film will cause.

Someone already used the Avatar analogy; the film won't have a massive opening weekend, but it will be a non-stop flow of cash for weeks on end.
Old 04-20-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I disagree that it won't have a massive opening. It won't have the most massive opening weekend of all time (Currently the first Avengers at $207m), but it will have a massive opening just the same.

The Top 10 Opening Weekends:

The Avengers: $207.4m
Iron Man 3: $174.1m
Harry Pottery and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2: $169.2m
The Dark Knight Rises: $160.9m
The Dark Knight: $158.4m
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: $152.5m
Spider-man 3: $151m
Furious 7: $147m
The Twilight Saga: New Moon: $143m

So we can safely guess Star Wars:TFA will gross more than $143m at the very minimum. My guess is it will fall in between Catching Fire and Iron Man 3.

Just for the shits and the giggles, Worldwide Box Office Top 10:
1. Avatar - $2.788b
2. Titanic - $2.186.8b
3. The Avengers - $1.518.6b
4. Harry Potter DH Pt 2 - $1,341.5b
5. Frozen - $1,274.2b
6. Iron Man 3 - $1,215.4b
7. Furious 7 - $1,152.4b
8. Transformers 3 - $1,123.8b
9. Lord of the Rings/Return - $1,119.9b
10. Skyfall - $1,108.6b

Last edited by RichC2; 04-20-15 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

The Star Wars brand name is a license to print movie. If Darth Vader Takes a Shit in 3-D came out tomorrow, it would have out-grossed Gone With the Wind by the end of the month.

"As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!"

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-21-15 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-20-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Age of Ultron will make close to $225 million.

The Force Awakens will make close to $250 million.

(Mark my words! Or don't... My numbers are based off of nothing except me randomly launching darts at a big board on the wall.)
Old 04-20-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Unless it has "Clone Wars" in the title.
Old 04-20-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

It was supposed to come out May 2015, but when JJ came on board he basically started the script from scratch. There was no way to make that date. December was the next big movie season.
Old 04-20-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Even with no Cartoons/No movies, Star Wars Merchandise/Toys was #2 behind the Princess Line for Disney. I think this will be really really close.
Old 04-20-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
It was supposed to come out May 2015, but when JJ came on board he basically started the script from scratch. There was no way to make that date. December was the next big movie season.
The most recent report was JJ wanted to move the movie up 6 months to June.
Old 04-21-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

One advantage of opening a big movie in December instead of the Summer is a lot less competition, especially in the January thru March timeframe. So a big movie with a huge opening weekend in the Summer Movie season usually falls off in the following weeks as other big movies open, while the opposite is true for December openings.

For example, James Cameron opened 2 movies in December:

Titanic debuted in December 1997 with an opening weekend gross of just $28 million. But it had long legs and virtually no competition for the first few months of 1998 and by the end of its run, it had made over $600 million in the U.S. alone.

And Avatar had its debut in December 2009 with an opening weekend gross of $77 million. It then ran for months and months with little competition and ended up grossing over $760 million just in the U.S.

So the basic rule seems to be: big movies opening in Summer have large opening weekends but shorter legs for the length of their run, while big movies opening in December have smaller opening weekends but potentially long legs for the length of their run.

December openings work best, though, if the movie is actually good and can generate strong word-of-mouth and repeat viewings.
Old 04-21-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
One advantage of opening a big movie in December instead of the Summer is a lot less competition, especially in the January thru March timeframe. So a big movie with a huge opening weekend in the Summer Movie season usually falls off in the following weeks as other big movies open, while the opposite is true for December openings.

For example, James Cameron opened 2 movies in December:

Titanic debuted in December 1997 with an opening weekend gross of just $28 million. But it had long legs and virtually no competition for the first few months of 1998 and by the end of its run, it had made over $600 million in the U.S. alone.

And Avatar had its debut in December 2009 with an opening weekend gross of $77 million. It then ran for months and months with little competition and ended up grossing over $760 million just in the U.S.

So the basic rule seems to be: big movies opening in Summer have large opening weekends but shorter legs for the length of their run, while big movies opening in December have smaller opening weekends but potentially long legs for the length of their run.

December openings work best, though, if the movie is actually good and can generate strong word-of-mouth and repeat viewings.
Star Wars will definitely have legs. I can see the fan base going to see it multiple times. I wouldn't be surprised if it stays in theaters for several months.

I'm betting that it will break all box office records. I've never seen anticipation level this high. Unlike Avengers, fans have been waiting 30 years for this movie since the previous trilogy was a letdown. You'll see people camping out on release day for sure.
Old 04-21-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 386 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Given the # of trailer views, pent-up excitement to see the OT characters and the universal appeal of SW that transcends generations, there's just no way I can't see it opening north of $200mm.
This. 88 Million views of Trailer #2 in 24 hours tells me everything I need to know about the excitement for this film.

I think both will open with record numbers but at the end of the day, SW will prevail by 5% or so.
Old 04-21-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an inside source that assures me Fantastic Four will make more than both movies.

Spoiler:
Old 04-21-15, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86

Star Wars is Star Wars though and the most successful film franchise of all time.
Fixed.
Old 04-21-15, 02:01 PM
Banned

It's about the endgame. SW will have little competition in the winter months. Much like Titanic and Avatar.

--
Old 04-21-15, 02:04 PM
Banned

The Clone Wars release was a failure, as was the 3D release of The Phantom Menace. Also, afi Gone With the Wind is still the most successful film of all-time.

--

Last edited by EctoCooler; 04-21-15 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-21-15, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Insiders say Force Awakens will get the widest release ever, meaning at least 4,500 locations in North America (Twilight: Eclipse went out in 4,468), although Disney won’t comment.
Old 04-21-15, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Opening weekend will belong to Avengers 2. December is shopping season, and people might be stuck indoors in bad weather. They'll see Star Wars, but not necessarily during opening weekend.

However, cumulative gross will belong to Star Wars.
Old 04-21-15, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

What's interesting is that regardless of which one does better, the mouse is the one who benefits.
Old 04-21-15, 07:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

Avengers will open higher.

However if Episode 7 is good, then Episode 8 will blow the doors off everything.
Old 04-22-15, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I figure SW has a longer (cinematic) history and deeper cultural appeal than Avengers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.