Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ready Player One (2018, D: Spielberg) S: Cooke, Sheridan, Rylance, Mendelsohn, Pegg

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ready Player One (2018, D: Spielberg) S: Cooke, Sheridan, Rylance, Mendelsohn, Pegg

Old 03-29-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Ready Player One (2018, D: Spielberg) S: Cooke, Sheridan, Rylance, Mendelsohn, Pe

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Gah...a single spaced block of text. Anyway, I look forward to seeing this probably on Easter Sunday.
I'm really looking forward to this one. After being disappointed by Black Panther the last time I went to the theater, I'm about due for a good one.
Old 03-29-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Ready Player One (2018, D: Spielberg) S: Cooke, Sheridan, Rylance, Mendelsohn, Pe

Sometimes it feels like Spielberg is to sentiment what Michael Bay is to explosions.

He just can't help himself.

The book, while very, VERY heavy on pop culture references, actually had moments where it got deep and dark. That's all gone for the movie. Didn't Spielberg make one of the best Science Fiction films of this century with Minority Report? Where's the man who made that film?

This isn't a film that's just nostalgic for 80s. It wants to be an 80s movie. And just like a lot of those, they had to simplify EVERYTHING.
Spoiler:
Everybody's happy in the end! Kiss the girl! Bad Guy in handcuffs! Bad Guy to henchman: "Here's my next plan. . ." Henchman punches bad guy.

And I don't remember when I've heard such a generic score before. Looking through Alan Silvestri's filmography, I can only recall one or two main themes for anything he's done.

The only thing less inspiring than the score was the casting. Ben Mendelsohn? For the villian? I hope someone gave themself a pat on the back for that.

My favorite scene was
Spoiler:
when they went into the Overlook. Partly it was impressive that they recreated it so exactly. But it was also that I got to be reminded of a much better film.

I've been disappointed in Senior Spielbergo for some time. I didn't hate Bridge of Spies or The Post, but I have to go all the way back to Munich to find something that really impressed me.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 03-29-18 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Surprised there's no review thread for this one.

Never read the book, so I won't have to bitch about changes. Since Ernest Cline co-wrote the screenplay, shouldn't be much of an issue.

I enjoyed myself. I'll await all the YouTube videos pointing out all the Easter eggs. Visually, there's a lot to take in. I'll probably check it out again before the glut of summer movies. I expected sentimental Steven and that's what I got.
Old 03-29-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
Sometimes it feels like Spielberg is to sentiment what Michael Bay is to explosions.

He just can't help himself.

The book, while very, VERY heavy on pop culture references, actually had moments where it got deep and dark. That's all gone for the movie. Didn't Spielberg make one of the best Science Fiction films of this century with Minority Report? Where's the man who made that film?

This isn't a film that's just nostalgic for 80s. It wants to be an 80s movie. And just like a lot of those, they had to simplify EVERYTHING.
Spoiler:
Everybody's happy in the end! Kiss the girl! Bad Guy in handcuffs! Bad Guy to henchman: "Here's my next plan. . ." Henchman punches bad guy.

And I don't remember when I've heard such a generic score before. Looking through Alan Silvestri's filmography, I can only recall one or two main themes for anything he's done.

The only thing less inspiring than the score was the casting. Ben Mendelsohn? For the villian? I hope someone gave themself a pat on the back for that.

My favorite scene was
Spoiler:
when they went into the Overlook. Partly it was impressive that they recreated it so exactly. But it was also that I got to be reminded of a much better film.

I've been disappointed in Senior Spielbergo for some time. I didn't hate Bridge of Spies or The Post, but I have to go all the way back to Munich to find something that really impressed me.

I agree with your first paragraph. I thought the stuff in The Oasis was the best part. The shit outside in the real world and some of the acting was lousy. I had the book from the library but never got around to it.
Old 03-29-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't quite remember a movie adaptation that took the same characters and basic structure and then changed literally everything else That said, what they changed worked for me - it just wasn't the book.

I'm one of those people that say if you don't like that, then you'll always have the book. The sequences they changed and added were also cool, just in a different way. And since Cline was involved in the screenplay, I'm willing to go with it.

I can't wait to get the home release to freeze-frame stuff - there was so much where I caught something on one half of the screen and I know there was stuff going on on the other side too.

Also, it's not all WB stuff, which I was a little worried about. Plenty of other properties mixed in.
Old 03-29-18, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never read the book, so I have no idea about what plot threads might have been changed or removed. However, I saw Ready Player One this afternoon and loved it. I am currently working on a review that includes my NOTES TO PARENTS, which is getting a little difficult because of
Spoiler:
The Shining scenes

I have to admit that my favorite scene was when the bad guy
Spoiler:
was piloting the MechaGodzilla and The Iron Giant jumping in to fight him
. That one scene alone was almost worth the price of admission by itself.
Old 03-29-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Made 3.75 million on Wednesday. It's looking like around a 40-45 million weekend.
I didn't think the book was well written but I will check this out for the nostalgia.
Old 03-29-18, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
We thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't quite remember a movie adaptation that took the same characters and basic structure and then changed literally everything else
Jurassic Park? 😁
Old 03-29-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Jurassic Park? I can't go with that one.

So does Joust play a role in this like the novel? I broke it out the other night to show my daughters so they'd get the reference.

We thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't quite remember a movie adaptation that took the same characters and basic structure and then changed literally everything else
ORLY?

Old 03-29-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Yeah, that had enough similarities. This was like if Ernest Cline wrote the story again but changed every single challenge and reference to a different one. Still works, just completely different.

So does Joust play a role in this like the novel? I broke it out the other night to show my daughters so they'd get the reference.
Spoiler:

Not at all.
Old 03-29-18, 10:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

anyone need a review thread on this one?
Old 03-29-18, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, that had enough similarities. This was like if Ernest Cline wrote the story again but changed every single challenge and reference to a different one. Still works, just completely different.
Odd. Probably a case of just internally brainstorming other ideas since he finished the novel. "Oh, I should have done this" or "I could have used this game." Then the chance to write the movie came around to give him that opportunity to reinvision a few things George Lucas style.

Spoiler:

Not at all.
Old 03-29-18, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why can’t this be the review thread? What’s the difference anyway?

So I loved the movie.
Was a whole bunch of fun.
Old 03-29-18, 11:31 PM

K...
Old 03-29-18, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oldboy, make it so.
Old 03-29-18, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, create a new one. I'm tired of posting spoiler tags.
Old 03-30-18, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
anyone need a review thread on this one?
I would have a spoilered review, if a thread were created. Surprised there isn't one.
Old 03-30-18, 09:00 AM

ok, i'll get a quick one up and then fill in blanks later...
Old 03-30-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post

Spoiler:
I think they mention it once in passing but it doesn't factor into the story the way it does in the book. Unfortunately the entire Lich King sequence is omitted, which to me is a huge loss.
Old 04-02-18, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't quite remember a movie adaptation that took the same characters and basic structure and then changed literally everything else That said, what they changed worked for me - it just wasn't the book.
World War Z. The title and the presence of zombies are basically the only similarities between book and movie.
Old 04-03-18, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So can anyone tell me what kind of screen to see it in. Would it be worth the extra for an IMAX 3D showing?
Old 04-03-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
So can anyone tell me what kind of screen to see it in. Would it be worth the extra for an IMAX 3D showing?
It was for my son and I. This is the kind of movie you want to see with great sound and on the biggest screen possible. The 3D is actually decent but no real pop-outs. Just added depth which works well since they are in the Oasis so much of the movie.
Old 04-06-18, 05:14 PM

I'm listening to EW Radio and they're talking about wanting to go see this movie at a 4k theater. I'm not sure exactly what that is. I saw it on an IMAX screen. Is that 4k? What is a regular theater showing these at? 2k? They specifically mentioned that they have it in 4k in Century City, CA.
Old 04-07-18, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by windom View Post
I'm listening to EW Radio and they're talking about wanting to go see this movie at a 4k theater. I'm not sure exactly what that is. I saw it on an IMAX screen. Is that 4k? What is a regular theater showing these at? 2k? They specifically mentioned that they have it in 4k in Century City, CA.
I know there are 4k Sony projectors at one of the independent theaters across the way from where I live, but that’s not to say every movie is in “4K”, I wouldn’t think. You could always call the theater itself, worth a shot.
Old 04-08-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just read the book over the last week while travelling on vacation. Enjoyed it quite a bit, and while i'm disappointed that it sounds like this deviates from the book considerably i'm looking forward to seeing it sometime this week.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.