Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Magnificent Seven (2016, D: Fuqua) S: Washington, Hawke, Pratt

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Magnificent Seven (2016, D: Fuqua) S: Washington, Hawke, Pratt

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Magnificent Seven (2016, D: Fuqua) S: Washington, Hawke, Pratt

I thought Horst Buchholz as Chico was akin to Toshiro Mifune as Kikuchiyo?
Chico is a cross between two of the samurai from the Japanese classic. His age and relationship with a village girl is taken from Katsushiro (played by Isao Kimura), and his personality and backstory are taken from Kikuchiyo (played by Toshiro Mifune). For me, mixing these characters was a huge mistake. First of all, Kikuchiyo’s arrogant and boastful personality doesn’t work when applied to the young kid character because it makes the kid come off as unlikable. More importantly, the reasons Kikuchiyo work at all is because of the depth of character, which isn’t present in The Magnificent Seven, and the phenomenal performance from the great Toshrio Mifune, which Buchholz doesn’t come close to rivaling.
http://the-artifice.com/the-magnificent-seven-review/
Old 09-09-16, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I was just kidding
Old 09-09-16, 06:03 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Someone remind me please. Who played the Toshiro Mifune part in The Magnificent Seven and plays it in the new remake?
I'm going to quote myself so that my question doesn't get left back on the last page. Anyone? Anyone?
Old 09-09-16, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

To put it bluntly, why watch The Magnificent Seven when you can watch Seven Samurai?
Old 09-09-16, 07:18 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I have to admit there's something interesting about a remake of a REALLY GOOD film. (Note: I'm referring to Seven Samurai, not the original Magnificent Seven.) Looking at the trailer to this did make me want to see it just to see how they handle the adaptation. Like how will they handle the deaths of each hero. (Sorry spoiler fearing idiots but these tropes are so old you're unborn children already know how this movie ends). It's like finding out there's a cover version of a song you love. If you told me Justin Beiber did a cover version of Bridge Over Troubled Water you bet your ass I'd want to hear it.

Like the remake of Solaris. Hell yeah I went to see that. Even if it's a disaster it will be fascinating. Remaking Star Trek? I don't really care to take another trip around that block, but if it's a classic film, something really big by an auteur director, yeah there's something that really makes me want to see it. If they remade Annie Hall I'd have to see it.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-09-16 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-10-16, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I was just kidding

Why you...
Old 09-10-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Old 09-20-16, 07:49 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6iTJ41aiHPI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Currently 61% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the...nt_seven_2016/
Old 09-20-16, 04:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6iTJ41aiHPI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Currently 61% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the...nt_seven_2016/
Sounds good. Glad I got my movie money set to go...
Old 09-21-16, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like fun even if derivative, although not as good as the scenario I dreamed up several years back (which itself was derivative of Shadow Riders/Professionals). But I digress.

One puzzling thing is that some of the reviewers keep referring to the original (M7, not 7Sam) yet seem to have amnesia. They keep talking about the diversity of the new cast (true) but some talk about the original being "six white guys & Yul Brynner"). And they're not talking about actors; they're talking about characters.

In the original, Charles Bronson's character was half-Irish & half-Mexican (a big deal with the Mexican kids who idolize him), and Horst Bucholz plays a 100% Mexican character. And there are other Hispanic characters in the three lamentable sequels (Return of, Guns of, Ride).

The new one is certainly the most diverse cast, but it's not like the original four movies featured only Caucasian characters.
Old 09-21-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Read a great interview today with the director about putting Denzel on a horse, and letting him shoot bad guys. Had passes for a sneak preview tonight, but just could not get out to see it...
Old 09-21-16, 06:31 PM

Will see this next week hopefully...
Old 09-22-16, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Sounds like fun even if derivative, although not as good as the scenario I dreamed up several years back (which itself was derivative of Shadow Riders/Professionals). But I digress.

One puzzling thing is that some of the reviewers keep referring to the original (M7, not 7Sam) yet seem to have amnesia. They keep talking about the diversity of the new cast (true) but some talk about the original being "six white guys & Yul Brynner"). And they're not talking about actors; they're talking about characters.

In the original, Charles Bronson's character was half-Irish & half-Mexican (a big deal with the Mexican kids who idolize him), and Horst Bucholz plays a 100% Mexican character. And there are other Hispanic characters in the three lamentable sequels (Return of, Guns of, Ride).

The new one is certainly the most diverse cast, but it's not like the original four movies featured only Caucasian characters.
Bernie Casey had his first major role as one of the seven in GUNS OF THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (1969):

Old 09-23-16, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/anyMa2gN6uw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-24-16, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I went to see this yesterday. Nothing but a handful of retired men in the theater, most older than me.

I enjoyed it. Sure, it's clichéd, corny, old-fashioned--what's not to love? I thought Denzel and Chris Pratt had great chemistry. All the actors were good, esp. those two and Vincent D'Onofrio and Ethan Hawke, although the three unknown minority actors (Korean, Mexican, Native American) had little in the way of dialogue. It's basically about as good as a better-than-average '70s western, sort of a MAGNIFICENT SEVEN sequel of the time but with a much bigger budget.

It is far-fetched, though. Whenever any of the good guys shoots, they never miss their targets, no matter how far away they are. And none of the good guys get hit until it's time near the end to start winnowing their numbers. And of course it takes multiple hits to kill them while their opponents die from one bullet. You know the drill.

The biggest error in it is the use of the gatling gun. No gatling gun had the range, accuracy or stopping power of the one used in the film. It's fired from a football field away and would never have hit any of its intended targets in a real battle like that.

Old 09-24-16, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Not a big fan of westerns but I like most of the cast so saw a matinee with some friends today. We all enjoyed it. Pratt has become a good leading actor and he had good chemistry with Denzel. Also have always liked D'Onofrio. Admittedly I've never seen the original American film or Seven Samurai so I can't compare it but I thought it was a good film overall.
Old 09-24-16, 10:02 PM

I might get blasted, but thought Seven Samurai was a little overrated...
Old 09-25-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The biggest error in it is the use of the gatling gun. No gatling gun had the range, accuracy or stopping power of the one used in the film. It's fired from a football field away and would never have hit any of its intended targets in a real battle like that.

I'm pretty sure no one was/is expecting a historically accurate Western here. I could be wrong.
Old 09-25-16, 12:47 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Overrated? Maybe. But it's one of those best films type of deals. Especially going w/ the whens, the wheres, and the hows of it all. It's a big deal to the art for all the right reasons.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 09-25-16 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-25-16, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm pretty sure no one was/is expecting a historically accurate Western here. I could be wrong.
There was a lot of gun twirling and stylish killings which I doubt really took place in gun battles, but I want to see them in a movie because it looks so cool.

Open Range is a great western that had a more realistic vibe. The gun battle was messy, lots of misses, hits in random places
Old 09-25-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

There a review thread for this one?

Caught this yesterday and while I didn't think it was a good as the original re-imagining (that ever been used as a way to describe a movie?) , it delivered in the departments I look for in a Western ( Great landscape shots, good music, and kick-ass shootouts). The action is where this one kind of improves upon the 1960 version. Technology allows for more elaborate sequences nowadays. Solid acting from everyone, though I felt Saarsgard was nowhere near the level of Eli Wallach in terms of a villain. Haley Bennett did well enough, but I couldn't help but feel the studio cast her because they could not afford Jennifer Lawrence for a supporting role and she bares something of a resemblance. Also enjoyed the Training Day reunion of Fuqua/Hawke/Washington.
I was kind of surprised that
Spoiler:
Chris Pratt's character died. Given that there's already a franchise in place for this title one would think they would want a rising super star attached. Perhaps they knew his price tag would escalate. At least he went out in cool manner.

Also wondering if maybe this movie had to re-negotiate for a PG-13. I've seen rated R movies with less grotesque violence than in this. Guess no nudity keeps you safe nowadays.
Old 09-25-16, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah I was surprised by the violence too. I guess no nudity/sex scenes and not much (any?) swearing kept it from getting an R.
Old 09-25-16, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Really? I'd put Seven Samurai in the discussion of best movie of all time. Certainly Top 10...

But that's just me. And a lot of other people.
Old 09-25-16, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

As for this movie...

It was good. Not great, but good. My problem is that it strayed not only from the original, but from the source. There was very little of Seven Samurai in the movie. The original Magnificent Seven strayed from the source, but not a whole lot. This felt, as someone noted above, more like a sequel than a remake because it strayed so much from the basic story of the original(s).

And I, too, was surprised at...

Spoiler:
...Chris Pratt's character's death. If they do want a sequel they just gave up it's most marketable star.

All in all I enoyed it - I always enjoy Westerns on the big screen - but it could have been better. It's not in the upper echelon of modern Westerns (Open Range, Unforgiven, Tombstone, etc), but it isn't horribly far off, either.

It's well worth seeing in the theater even if you're on the fence. The final battle is pretty impressive and the story is solid. And the actors really do a fantastic job. The chemistry among the entire cast (not just Denzel and Pratt) was excellent.
Old 09-26-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Thought this one was just ok. Didn't find myself caring about any of the characters outside of Denzel and Pratt, and that's really only because of the "coolness" for lack of a better word of the characters. Not bad at all, but nothing special either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.