Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Magnificent Seven (2016, D: Fuqua) S: Washington, Hawke, Pratt

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 12:26 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

It’s been over a decade since Ethan Hawke, Denzel Washington and director Antoine Fuqua patrolled the mean streets of Los Angeles in “Training Day” and it looks like that team is looking to head to the wild west for their next collaboration.

Sources say the Oscar-nominated Hawke is in final negotiations to join Washington in MGM’s “Magnificent Seven” remake with Fuqua directing.

Chris Pratt and Hailey Bennett are also on board to star.

The 1960 original, itself a remake of Akira Kurosawa’s “Seven Samurai,” starred Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen. It centered on seven gunslingers who protect an oppressed Mexican village from a group of outlaws.

The script was most recently reworked by John Lee Hancock, with “True Detective” creator Nic Pizzolatto writing the previous draft.

MGM is hoping the pairing of Hawke with Washington leads to the same success the two saw on their crime drama, which overperformed at the box office and led to both men receiving Oscar nominations with Washington eventually taking home the prize.

Hawke is coming off his Oscar nominated role in “Boyhood” and has several upcoming projects that include Andrew Niccol’s “Good Kill” and the docu he directed, “Seymour: An Introduction.” He is repped by CAA.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/et...ve-1201443743/

I thought there was a thread already... if there is let me know and I'll merge.
Old 03-02-15, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Magnificent Seven (D: Fuqua) S: Washington, Hawke, Pratt

Sooooo it's a western again, eh?
Old 03-02-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 03-02-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I remember when the old thread talked about this. It was intended to be a remake in name only. Not even a Western.
Old 03-02-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

A sci-fi take on this story could be interesting. I think the Marvel Star Wars series had a story arc with a similar theme.
Old 03-02-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
A sci-fi take on this story could be interesting. I think the Marvel Star Wars series had a story arc with a similar theme.
Old 03-02-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I think a post-apocalyptic setting would be awesome for such a story.
Old 03-02-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I think a post-apocalyptic setting would be awesome for such a story.
The Road Warrior kinda played with that towards the end, but I agree that a full-on post-apocalyptic version could be awesome.

As with all versions of this story, success or failure is gonna rest on the actors and the director involved. We might get Seven Samurai or we might get Seven Magnificent Gladiators. I think Denzel could be a great "Chris", but am less enthused about Fuqua and Hawke.
Old 03-02-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Unnecessary remake, absolutely mediocre director (on his best day), and Ethan Hawke. Guaranteed fail.
Old 03-02-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I would much rather see a remake of FOUR FOR TEXAS (1963) with George Clooney and Brad Pitt in the Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin roles. But which current Euro hotties could you get to play the Ursula Andress and Anita Ekberg roles? Monica Bellucci, for one.
Old 03-02-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Unnecessary remake, absolutely mediocre director (on his best day), and Ethan Hawke. Guaranteed fail.
Exactly what I was thinking. Westerns are a tough sell to modern audiences period - doesn't matter who's behind it. Toss in the fact this is so unquestionably unnecessary and why would any studio head give this a greenlight?
Old 03-02-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Exactly what I was thinking. Westerns are a tough sell to modern audiences period - doesn't matter who's behind it. Toss in the fact this is so unquestionably unnecessary and why would any studio head give this a greenlight?
While I don't have high hopes for this, the same good be said about the Coen's True Grit.
Old 03-02-15, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Coens have a much better track record than Fuqua. And their version of TG, though good, was ultimately unnecessary.
Old 03-02-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Yeah, I don't have high hope for this project.
Old 03-02-15, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The Coens have a much better track record than Fuqua. And their version of TG, though good, was ultimately unnecessary.
Exactly. If the Coens were doing this, I'd at least give it a look. Fuqua? It would take one helluva trailer to get me interested in even downloading it.
Old 03-27-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Vincent D’Onofrio Eyed to Play Villain in ‘Magnificent Seven’ Remake (EXCLUSIVE)
March 27, 2015 | 11:22AM PT
Justin Kroll
Film Reporter @krolljvar

Vincent D’Onofrio is in talks to play the villain in MGM and Sony’s “Magnificent Seven” remake starring Denzel Washington.

Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke are also on board to star with Antoine Fuqua directing.

Sony and MGM are splitting the cost evenly with Sony distributing the pic. MGM will oversee production.

The 1960 film, itself a remake of Akira Kurosawa’s “Seven Samurai,” starred Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen. It centered on seven gunslingers who protect an oppressed Mexican village from a group of outlaws.

The script was most recently reworked by John Lee Hancock after “True Detective” creator Nic Pizzolatto wrote the previous draft.

Production is expected to start within the next month as Fuqua assembles the remaining cast.

No stranger to playing the villain, D’Onofrio can next be seen as the antagonist in Universal’s “Jurassic World” and as Marvel Comics bad guy Kingpin in Netflix’s “Daredevil” series. He was most recently seen in the Warner Bros.’ Liam Neeson thriller “Run All Night.”

He is repped by UTA, Silver Linings Entertainment and Hansen, Jacobson, Teller, Hoberman, Newman, Warren, Richman, Rush & Keller.
Old 05-05-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

re: The Magnificent Seven (2016, D: Fuqua) S: Washington, Hawke, Pratt

Jason Momoa in Talks to Join All-Star 'Magnificent Seven' Remake (Exclusive)
May 05, 2015 11:43am PT by Borys Kit

Jason Momoa, the future Aquaman, is in negotiations to join the all-star cast of MGM’s remake of The Magnificent Seven.

If a deal is made, the actor will join Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke, Vincent D’Onofrio, Wagner Moura and Haley Bennett in the Western, which updates the 1960 movie that starred Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson and Robert Vaughn. Antoine Fuqua is directing.

With a script written by John Lee Hancock and Nic Pizzolatto, the new version’s story kicks off when a woman (Bennett) hires a disparate group of gunslingers to protect her town from rampaging bandits.

Momoa will play one of the movie’s heavies, although the main villain, a robber baron, has not yet been cast.

The movie is galloping ahead of a start in late May.

Momoa, who stars in SundanceTV’s The Red Road television series, nabbed the high-profile role of Aquaman last year and will portray the DC character in a series of tentpole movies, starting with the upcoming Batman v Superman. Already set are gigs in The Justice League Part One and the character's own solo movie.

Momoa is repped by APA, Link Entertainment and Edelstein, Laird & Sobel.
Old 05-05-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

So Denzel is starring in this, then in The Equalizer 2 - both with Fuqua at the helm?

For one of our best actors, he sure doesn't pick very interesting roles. The last movie he really took a risk in was FLIGHT.
Old 05-05-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I recently saw Predestination. I take back what I said about Hawke.
Old 05-05-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

'The Magnificent Seven' Adding 'G.I. Joe' Actor Byung-hun Lee
May 05, 2015 1:20pm PT by Borys Kit

The Western is deep in casting mode as it heads toward its late-May start.

Byung-hun Lee is in negotiations to join the all-star cast of MGM’s The Magnificent Seven.

The Western is deep in casting mode as it heads toward its late-May start. Antoine Fuqua is directing the movie, which begins with a woman hiring a disparate group of gunslingers to protect her town from rampaging bandits.

Here’s who’s playing whom in the remake of the classic 1960 movie:

►Denzel Washington is playing a bounty hunter who takes it upon himself to help the woman, played by Haley Bennett.
►Chris Pratt is a magician turned gambler.
►Vincent D’Onofrio is a mountain man with an unsavory past that includes killing Native Americans.
►Wagner Moura is a caballero with a bounty on his head.
►Ethan Hawke is a sharpshooting war deserter.
►Lee will play a former indentured servent who is quite handy with a sai.

Also in talks to join the movie is Jason Momoa, who will play one of the movie’s bad guys.

Lee is a Korean star who has appeared as Storm Shadow in the G.I. Joe movies and as Han Cho Bai in Red 2. He next will be seen in Terminator Genisys, and he recently wrapped the thriller Beyond Deceit.
Old 05-05-15, 08:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a weird cast.
Old 05-06-15, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate Hollywood.
Old 05-06-15, 06:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Sounds eclectic and could be fun.
Old 05-06-15, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Preterite
The Road Warrior kinda played with that towards the end, but I agree that a full-on post-apocalyptic version could be awesome.
Mad Max 2 is basically just a post-apocalyptic version of Shane.
Old 05-15-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Matt Bomer Joining Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt in 'Magnificent Seven' (Exclusive)
May 14, 2015 12:44pm PT by Borys Kit

Matt Bomer has joined the all-star cast of MGM’s remake of The Magnificent Seven.

Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke, Vincent D’Onofrio, Wagner Moura, Haley Bennett and Jason Momoa are already in the saddle for the Western, which updates the 1960 movie that starred Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson and Robert Vaughn.

Antoine Fuqua is directing.

With a script written by John Lee Hancock and Nic Pizzolatto, the new version’s story kicks off when a woman (Bennett) hires a disparate group of gunslingers to protect her town from rampaging bandits that are led by a robber baron.

Bomer will play the woman’s husband, a man who tries to stand up to the robber baron.

Producing are Roger Birnbaum and Todd Black with Walter Mirisch and Fuqua serving as executive producers.

Bomer, who received plenty of acclaim, including a Golden Globe win, for his performance in HBO’s The Normal Heart, will be the male lead opposite Lady Gaga in American Horror Story: Hotel, the newest season of the horror anthology. He also has Magic Mike XXL due for a July 1 release and Shane Black’s The Nice Guys in post.

The actor, who is repped by CAA, Anonymous Content and Hansen Jacobson, is also set to portray Hollywood icon Montgomery Clift in HBO's biopic Monty, which should shoot next year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.