Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025, D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025, D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-24, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Re: Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025, D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

Wicked is far more accessible a musical than Hadestown.
Old 02-12-24, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025, D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

I've only been to one show on Broadway (Book of Mormon post-Covid "update") but I have heard good things about Hadestown. But not enough to want to seek it out.
Old 02-12-24, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Well of course. Wicked is one of the ultimate “big Broadway musicals for the whole family.”
Old 02-12-24, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Why do they need two movies? My understanding is that the play runs a little less than three hours minus intermission. I love the music and have read the book, but never seen a production. Do they have a back up plan if the first one flops?
Old 02-12-24, 03:07 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Why do they need two movies? My understanding is that the play runs a little less than three hours minus intermission. I love the music and have read the book, but never seen a production. Do they have a back up plan if the first one flops?
Wicked composer and lyricist Stephen Schwartz:
“The truth is we tried for some time to make it one movie, even if it had to be one very long movie. But we kept running into two problems. The first is that even as a very long single movie, it required us cutting or omitting things that we wanted to include and that we think fans of the show and the story will appreciate. Secondly, we found it very difficult to get past ‘Defying Gravity’ without a break. That song is written specifically to bring a curtain down, and whatever scene to follow it without a break just seemed hugely anti-climactic. So, for these two reasons, plus the excitement of doing something that’s never been done before with a musical, we have decided to do two movies. Of course, when it’s all done, if it doesn’t work that way, we’ll have to figure something out. But we strongly believe that this is what’s best for our story, our show, and our fans.”
Producer Marc Platt:
We didn’t want to end up making one four-hour movie and then cutting out songs. We want to satisfy the fans of the musical. Film allows you to create a place and a time—a university like Shiz, an extraordinary Emerald City governor’s mansion. There’s so much more to explore.
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Do they have a back up plan if the first one flops?
It's all been shot as one production.
Old 02-12-24, 03:56 PM

I don't know if I buy the it would be too long explanation. The musical works fine on Broadway at 3 hours.
Yes, Defying Gravity is, next to Phantom's chandelier , the best end of a first act I've seen on stage. It does set up a perfect cliffhanger, and I actually mentioned that a couple of years ago in this thread.

I do find this comment interesting though :
Film allows you to create a place and a time—a university like Shiz, an extraordinary Emerald City governor’s mansion. There’s so much more to explore.
There is a lot of things they could explore on-campus and that aspect of the show did feel a little abridged.
Old 02-12-24, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Them: Wizard of Woke!!!!! Go W0kE gO Browk BrO!!! RAce SWapP!!
The Rest: Sir, she's always been GREEN. She is neither White nor Black.
Them: ... er...but...Shut up!!!

Anyway, looks really good! I read the book and loved it and the world it lived in and always wanted to the the musical.
Old 02-12-24, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

It's all been shot as one production.

I figured that , but if the first one doesn't do well who would be interested in the second ? This looks like something that probably has a built in audience though, so it may do well enough. The argument of ending the first one after Defying Gravity does make a lot of sense.
Old 02-12-24, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I just want to share (with incredulity) that I was in a room with seven other adults when this trailer/ad aired last night, and none of those people knew what "Wicked" was.
Old 02-13-24, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Musn't scare the normies.

This trend strikes me as some executive somewhere who doesn't like musicals mandating that there is no singing in the trailers. Hell, Chicago won "Best Picture" and the trailer has a lot of Catherine Zeta-Jones singing.

I worked with someone when I was producing a talk show who would sometimes shoot ideas down based on their own experiences and biases. Someone would pitch "hey, someone created a brand-new kind of dougnut, we should do a story on it" and they'd be like "oh no one likes doughnuts" as if that ended the discussion. This reminds me of that.
The more I go through life the more I realize how few people are aware of their own biases, let alone acknowledge them, let alone correct their decisions to accommodate for them.
Old 02-13-24, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Movie musicals can be okay, like Chicago was okay and Singin' in the Rain was a lot of fun. And I like most of the Disney musical movies.

There's just something about live musicals that, well, they squick me out.

I've told this story in other threads but we went to New York City last spring and my wife said she wanted to see a show and I said sure, thinking it would be a play or something and she picked out Hadestown which was pretty much excruciating to sit through and when I mentioned that experience, everybody on the other threads pointed out that it was one of the best reviewed shows of modern times, so, that's how I feel about musicals.
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Hadestown is not a good starting point. My friend and I had a subscription service to musicals and that one we bailed on at intermission, it was so bad. And that’s something I hadn’t done before. Only other show she bailed on was Love Never Dies, the Phantom of the Opera sequel.
Wow really? How was it excruciating? You just don't like musicals or something? We just saw Hadestown this past weekend and thought it was great. Especially the production values. The stage lighting itself was absolutely amazing to see.

Originally Posted by Draven
And I thought Hadestown was the best show I'd seen in years

I saw the tour but my mom and I are going to do an NYC trip this year and I just might take her to see it again - she's a retired English teacher and taught a lot of Greek mythology and she was also a drama teacher and would be blown away by the production value of that show.
Yep, my 11 year old daughter is DEEP in to Percy Jackson and absolutely LOVED Hadestown. Not sure why others didn't like it.

Originally Posted by RichC2
I've only been to one show on Broadway (Book of Mormon post-Covid "update") but I have heard good things about Hadestown. But not enough to want to seek it out.
You just literally just missed it this past weekend. Balcony tickets were $50.

Yeah definitely. The story is more engaging and "modern". Even though the story for Hadestown is super simple it is still, in it's heart, a greek tragedy.
Old 02-13-24, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The trailer I was kinda...meh...

Honestly at first I did not think that it was Wicked trailer. Even though I knew one was coming and it was obviously set in the Land of Oz. I really thought it must have been some other Oz movie that I hadn't heard of. It just looked like another CGI fest of a movie. like Disney's live action remakes or fantasy adventures. It reminded me of Oz the Great and powerful. I don't know. I'm sure it will be a lot better once they release a trailer with the songs added. One thing I really like about Wicked is that it's a much more personal and intimate story about the Wicked Witch of the West. The trailer just seems bloated. And the fact that it's two movies now also leads me to believe it might be bloated. But still, I hope I'm wrong and will look forward to the movie. I'm rooting for it and hope it does well.
Old 02-13-24, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Arianna Grande ruined her face with all that plastic surgery.
Old 02-13-24, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
It's really hard to transform yourself into an Asian woman without it though.
Old 02-13-24, 10:59 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

She looks like a ninja turtle.
Old 02-13-24, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Them: Wizard of Woke!!!!! Go W0kE gO Browk BrO!!! RAce SWapP!!
The Rest: Sir, she's always been GREEN. She is neither White nor Black.
Them: ... er...but...Shut up!!!

Anyway, looks really good! I read the book and loved it and the world it lived in and always wanted to the the musical.
ME: They're putting a black actress in greenface! Why couldn't they have gotten one of those green women on Star Trek?

The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (02-13-24)
Old 02-13-24, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Quit surgery shaming!
Old 02-13-24, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
A movie based on one of the all-time biggest Broadway shows starring Ariana Grande... how can you not know it's a musical? This movie has a built-in audience. People literally under a rock.
The Broadway musical was based on a novel, so it's not out of the question to think that the movie might have been adapted from the novel and not the play.

Though if someone doesn't know it's a Broadway musical, they also probably don't know it was book first.

But just shut up, take your wife/girlfriend to it, and enjoy a big sloppy blowjob in the car on the way home.

Old 02-13-24, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The Broadway musical was based on a novel, so it's not out of the question to think that the movie might have been adapted from the novel and not the play.

Though if someone doesn't know it's a Broadway musical, they also probably don't know it was book first.

But just shut up, take your wife/girlfriend to it, and enjoy a big sloppy blowjob in the car on the way home.
Dang, guess I'm not bringing the kids then.
Old 02-13-24, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Blindfolds and earmuffs, dude.
Old 02-13-24, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Fixed that for you.
Old 02-13-24, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Hadestown was absolutely technically proficient. None of the cast were "bad" at all. The girl playing Eurydice was heartbreaking, the narrator/muse was bombastic and fun, the set design was pretty cool (they made good use of the stage lifts) but I just have a thing about seeing musicals performed live.

Sorry, I'll stop distracting the thread, maybe I'll look for a used copy of the book to read.
Old 02-13-24, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

And if your mother asks you to take her to see it, you'll just have to insist that she gets an Uber home.
Old 02-13-24, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fixed that for you.
It worked on Sharon.