Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025, D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025, D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

Old 03-15-23, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,312 Likes on 956 Posts
Re: Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025, D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

FIRST WICKED MOVIE STARRING ERIVO AND GRANDE CHANGES RELEASE DATE

Director Jon M. Chu announced today a change in the schedule for the upcoming first part of the Wickedmovies. Originally announced to be released in theaters on December 25, 2024, it’ll now release one month earlier on November 27, 2024. Take a look at the news announced by Jon M. Chu, as well as a first look at the new Wicked logo.
Old 06-21-23, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025, D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

Not surprising, Wicked Part 2 slated for Nov 26.
Old 06-21-23, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,534 Likes on 4,470 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Not surprising, Wicked Part 2 slated for Nov 26.
November, 2026 or Nov 26, 2025?
Because having to wait two years for the second part of a single 3 hour musical is truly insane. The world's longest Intermission.
Old 06-21-23, 09:07 AM

Received 4,752 Likes on 3,218 Posts

Originally Posted by decker
november, 2026 or nov 26, 2025?
Because having to wait two years for the second part of a single 3 hour musical is truly insane. The world's longest intermission.
Old 06-21-23, 09:52 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 597 Likes on 341 Posts

Having seen the musical it's clear where they'll end part 1, but this could have been one movie.
Old 06-21-23, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
November, 2026 or Nov 26, 2025?
Because having to wait two years for the second part of a single 3 hour musical is truly insane. The world's longest Intermission.
Thread title displays the years. I didn't think I had to repeat.
Old 06-21-23, 10:23 AM

Thread title displays the years. I didn't think I had to repeat.
You said the date moved. If you had said the date for Part 2 also moved up, then not.
Old 02-11-24, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,070 Likes on 882 Posts

Super Bowl trailer doesn’t show any singing, as expected
Old 02-11-24, 05:49 PM

Wicked. See it on the big screen this Thanksgiving. 💚💖
-----
After two decades as one of the most beloved and enduring musicals on the stage, Wicked makes its long-awaited journey to the big screen as a spectacular, generation-defining cinematic event this holiday season.

Wicked, the untold story of the witches of Oz, stars Emmy, Grammy and Tony winning powerhouse Cynthia Erivo (Harriet, Broadway’s The Color Purple) as Elphaba, a young woman, misunderstood because of her unusual green skin, who has yet to discover her true power, and Grammy-winning, multi-platinum recording artist and global superstar Ariana Grande as Glinda, a popular young woman, gilded by privilege and ambition, who has yet to discover her true heart.

The two meet as students at Shiz University in the fantastical Land of Oz and forge an unlikely but profound friendship. Following an encounter with The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, their friendship reaches a crossroads and their lives take very different paths. Glinda's unflinching desire for popularity sees her seduced by power, while Elphaba's determination to remain true to herself, and to those around her, will have unexpected and shocking consequences on her future. Their extraordinary adventures in Oz will ultimately see them fulfill their destinies as Glinda the Good and the Wicked Witch of the West.

The film also stars Oscar® winner Michelle Yeoh as Shiz University’s regal headmistress Madame Morrible; Jonathan Bailey (Bridgerton, Fellow Travelers) as Fiyero, a roguish and carefree prince; Tony nominee Ethan Slater (Broadway’s Spongebob Squarepants, Fosse/Verdon) as Boq, an altruistic Munchkin student; Marissa Bode in her feature-film debut as Nessarose, Elphaba’s favored sister; and pop culture icon Jeff Goldblum as the legendary Wizard of Oz.

The cast of characters includes Pfannee and ShenShen, two conniving compatriots of Glinda played by Emmy nominee Bowen Yang (Saturday Night Live) and Bronwyn James (Harlots), and a new character created for the film, Miss Coddle, played by Tony nominee Keala Settle (The Greatest Showman).

Directed by acclaimed filmmaker Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians, In the Heights), Wicked is the first chapter of a two-part immersive, cultural celebration. Wicked Part Two is scheduled to arrive in theaters on November 26, 2025.

Wicked is produced by Marc Platt (La La Land, The Little Mermaid), whose films, television shows and stage productions have earned a combined 46 Oscar® nominations, 58 Emmy nominations and 36 Tony nominations, and by multiple Tony winner David Stone (Kimberly Akimbo, Next to Normal), with whom Platt produced the blockbuster Wicked stage musical. The executive producers are David Nicksay, Stephen Schwartz and Jared LeBoff.

Based on the bestselling novel by Gregory Maguire, Wicked is adapted for the screen by the stage production’s book writer Winnie Holzman and by legendary Grammy and Oscar® winning composer and lyricist Stephen Schwartz. The Broadway stage musical is produced by Universal Stage Productions, Marc Platt, the Araca Group, Jon B. Platt and David Stone.
Old 02-11-24, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 681 Likes on 529 Posts

Despite a few bars here and there, this is another trailer hiding the fact the movie in question is a musical.

If studio execs are so sure audiences don't want to see musicals, why even make them? Is it a real world scheme akin to The Producers?
Old 02-12-24, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A movie based on one of the all-time biggest Broadway shows starring Ariana Grande... how can you not know it's a musical? This movie has a built-in audience. People literally under a rock.

I think the trailer looks great and I loved the Broadway show.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (02-12-24)
Old 02-12-24, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Super Bowl trailer doesn’t show any singing, as expected
Musn't scare the normies.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Despite a few bars here and there, this is another trailer hiding the fact the movie in question is a musical.

If studio execs are so sure audiences don't want to see musicals, why even make them? Is it a real world scheme akin to The Producers?
This trend strikes me as some executive somewhere who doesn't like musicals mandating that there is no singing in the trailers. Hell, Chicago won "Best Picture" and the trailer has a lot of Catherine Zeta-Jones singing.

I worked with someone when I was producing a talk show who would sometimes shoot ideas down based on their own experiences and biases. Someone would pitch "hey, someone created a brand-new kind of dougnut, we should do a story on it" and they'd be like "oh no one likes doughnuts" as if that ended the discussion. This reminds me of that.
Old 02-12-24, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts

I've never seen the stage show (I hate stage musicals) and never read the books, but the Judy Garland classic is hands-down one of my top movies ever. I've never watched any other Oz movies at all over the years but I'm curious about this.

Any chance I might like it a little bit?
Old 02-12-24, 09:22 AM

That's a tough one. It is in every way a stage musical. It's a Wizard of Oz witches origin story. It's widely considered one of the three greatest Broadway musicals of the 21st century. If you loathe musicals, you probably wouldn't like this one, but I certainly do. And the casting is solid here.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Draven (02-12-24), Giantrobo (02-12-24)
Old 02-12-24, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I've never seen the stage show (I hate stage musicals) and never read the books, but the Judy Garland classic is hands-down one of my top movies ever. I've never watched any other Oz movies at all over the years but I'm curious about this.

Any chance I might like it a little bit?
I agree with Decker, but I think the better litmus test is do you like movie musicals? Things like Chicago, West Side Story, Sweeney Todd, La La Land, In the Heights, Dreamgirls, Hairspray, Wonka, etc.? With the fantastical elements, it's probably more like Into the Woods than anything.

I don't like The Wizard of Oz but I love Wicked - and I think it's really cool to see what happened and how everyone got to where they were before Dorothy showed up.
Old 02-12-24, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,638 Posts

A movie based on one of the all-time biggest Broadway shows starring Ariana Grande... how can you not know it's a musical? This movie has a built-in audience. People literally under a rock.

I think the trailer looks great and I loved the Broadway show.
Even though it's huge I could see people thinking it's just a remake of Wizard of Oz without realizing where it came from, especially kids (not sure if kids care about it being a musical but certainly even animated Disney movies aren't usually advertised as musicals, so maybe the word scares off people but once they get in the theater it doesn't matter or something?)
Old 02-12-24, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,075 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Musn't scare the normies.

This trend strikes me as some executive somewhere who doesn't like musicals mandating that there is no singing in the trailers. Hell, Chicago won "Best Picture" and the trailer has a lot of Catherine Zeta-Jones singing.

I worked with someone when I was producing a talk show who would sometimes shoot ideas down based on their own experiences and biases. Someone would pitch "hey, someone created a brand-new kind of dougnut, we should do a story on it" and they'd be like "oh no one likes doughnuts" as if that ended the discussion. This reminds me of that.
That all might make sense if there was a single executive in charge of marketing for Warner Brothers, Paramount and now Universal. There's obviously something in the data that suggests general audiences don't like musicals. Or at the very least don't think they like musicals. Even Disney kind of underplayed the fact that Wish was a musical and they've probably made billions on the songs in their movies alone.
Old 02-12-24, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,219 Likes on 746 Posts

I am not a big fan of musicals but I have always wanted to see this show. I love the original Wizard Of Oz, so I may definitely check this out in the theater.

Are the songs catchy like Greatest Showman and the original Wizard? I thought about checking out the soundtrack but would rather have some surprises when I see it the first time.
Old 02-12-24, 10:32 AM

A couple of songs are really, really strong. Especially Defying Gravity and Popular. Overall the songs are very good and there are a couple that do harken back to the 1939 movie to some degree.
Old 02-12-24, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I am not a big fan of musicals but I have always wanted to see this show. I love the original Wizard Of Oz, so I may definitely check this out in the theater.

Are the songs catchy like Greatest Showman and the original Wizard? I thought about checking out the soundtrack but would rather have some surprises when I see it the first time.
Yes, there are a lot of fantastic songs (especially for female singers). If you've ever seen Godspell, Pippin or The Prince of Egypt, the same person wrote the music (Stephen Schwartz).
Old 02-12-24, 11:53 AM

From the studio that brought you adaptations of Mamma Mia, Cats, and Dear Evan Hansen...
Old 02-12-24, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Movie musicals can be okay, like Chicago was okay and Singin' in the Rain was a lot of fun. And I like most of the Disney musical movies.

There's just something about live musicals that, well, they squick me out.

I've told this story in other threads but we went to New York City last spring and my wife said she wanted to see a show and I said sure, thinking it would be a play or something and she picked out Hadestown which was pretty much excruciating to sit through and when I mentioned that experience, everybody on the other threads pointed out that it was one of the best reviewed shows of modern times, so, that's how I feel about musicals.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (02-12-24)
Old 02-12-24, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,219 Likes on 746 Posts

I dislike musicals when every word of dialogue is sung, like Les Misérables. That made me want to rip my ears off.

I tend to like really weird, lame musicals like Xanadu, Popeye, The Pirate Movie, Grease, etc. I like it where it seems like it almost feels natural to break into song like Singin' In The Rain, Fiddler On The Roof and The Wizard Of Oz.

If it feels forced...like Hamilton, I tend to feel nauseous. My wife and I couldn't make it 30 minutes into that show. And yes, I know it is one of the best reviewed musicals in the last 20 years. The Book Of Mormon is more my thing if we go on recent musicals.

Old 02-12-24, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

Hadestown is not a good starting point. My friend and I had a subscription service to musicals and that one we bailed on at intermission, it was so bad. And that’s something I hadn’t done before. Only other show she bailed on was Love Never Dies, the Phantom of the Opera sequel.
Old 02-12-24, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And I thought Hadestown was the best show I'd seen in years

I saw the tour but my mom and I are going to do an NYC trip this year and I just might take her to see it again - she's a retired English teacher and taught a lot of Greek mythology and she was also a drama teacher and would be blown away by the production value of that show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.