Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 11:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

I apologize for my previous comments to B5Erik. I took things too far with those last few posts.
Old 08-22-16, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Originally Posted by devilshalo
They say she might be Cindy Moon/Silk. I kinda hope she's Gwen.
If they cast her as an Asian character and decide to replace her, we may see Emma Stone in another Spider-Man movie.
Old 08-23-16, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I apologize for my previous comments to B5Erik. I took things too far with those last few posts.
I stopped going into the Ghostbusters thread because of him. Looks like I'm pretty done with this thread too. Maybe I'll check back when a trailer drops.
Old 08-23-16, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I stopped going into the Ghostbusters thread because of him. Looks like I'm pretty done with this thread too. Maybe I'll check back when a trailer drops.
Really? Wow. Look, I'm sorry if my strong opinions bother you. I just don't like change just for change's sake. I firmly believe in the old cliche - if it ain't broke don't fix it. If someone argues with me I'll argue my counterpoint in response. Nothing unusual there.

You may like or welcome change, regardless of outcome. Other people don't. That doesn't make you right and them wrong or vice versa.

I have made it a point, however, not to make any of this personal with anyone else here. It's a shame that not everyone can honestly say that.

And I do appreciate Mallet's post above. I think we all need to remember to respect the opinions of others on the board - especially when those opinions are the opposite of our own. You don't have to agree with them, but you should respect them.
Old 08-23-16, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Zenyatta Mondatta!!!

(It's a great album, too! And I don't even like The Police very much!)
Every time you say this, I keep thinking:

So here are some of Abob Teff's Random Page 3 Thoughts ...

Mary Jane should have red hair, just as Daphne should in Scooby Doo and Wilma should in the Flintstones. It is ONE of her defining characteristics along with her model-good looks, spunky attitude, and flirty personality. Also, Scooby Doo should never be recast as a cat or a poodle.

I'm OK with people claiming folks who object to a casting based on skin color are racists IF those people will accept Hollywood execs who make the change based on skin color are also racist.

Zendaya is a talented young lady who is currently popular. In that regard, her casting makes sense. I'm not aware of anything we've seen from her beyond her two shows on Disney (based on which I would say she would make a better Peter Parker than MJ). In that regard, the Michael Keaton comparison may be a good one. We haven't seen any real range or depth but I believe she hasn't shown us all of her talents yet. No, that's not a titty joke.

Claims of people not being able to distinguish between redheads are racist and ignorant. Inri22 and I are redhead connoisseurs and I can assure you we know the difference. Inri, could you please demonstrate for us?

Yes, the change in Aunt May is a drastic departure from the comic book character. Sure, we may excuse it because ... well, Marissa Tomei! Seriously though, I always thought Aunt May seemed excessively old to be Peter's aunt. She was always more like his grandmother.

That's all I have for the moment ... Back to your normally scheduled antics ...

Whoops, one more thing ... Shailene Woodley was always a terrible choice, I don't care what color her hair was.
Old 08-23-16, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But his face matches the image in the comics. And expecting to find someone who is 5'4" to have the gravitas to play Wolverine isn't very realistic.
Now you've crossed the line. You're on your own, you heightist.
Old 08-23-16, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That would solve the problem of confusing Liz and Gwen for each other.
Old 08-23-16, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Can we at least have this in the movie?

Old 08-23-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
Can we at least have this in the movie?

?? Jay Leno as Aunt May?
Old 08-23-16, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Maybe Harry Osbourne? J Jonah Jameson? The possibilities are endless.
Old 08-23-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Really? Wow. Look, I'm sorry if my strong opinions bother you.
I doubt it's the opinion that's the issue. It's the reiterating the same exact thing every third post that can be tiresome.
Old 08-23-16, 11:59 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

These vortexes in threads lately have been as tiring as the ones from the comics / superhero movies. i think my reading/posting has gone down directly due to these as it's just too tedious to scroll past all that nonsense.
Old 08-23-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

The Spider-Man movies mean nothing to me anymore after the last 3. Nothing at this point could drag me to a theater to see a Spider-Man movie. Yea he was cute as part of Civil War but that was about it. I don't like stunt casting for stunt casting sake but movies are starting to go that way so I can choose not to see them in the theater.
Old 08-23-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stan the Man doesn't feel disrespected by the casting:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...ry-jane-watson
Old 08-23-16, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Super X

Stan has never criticized anything about the Marvel movies, and he never will.

Jazzy Johnny would likely never say anything negative, either. They're both too classy to do that.
Old 08-23-16, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Super X

Nor should he. His check still clears no matter who they cast.
Old 08-23-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I should say this...

I have no problem with Zendaya being in this movie. I just have a problem changing Mary Jane's extremely identifiable look. I don't even have a problem with her as Mary Jane as long as she's good and they give her red hair.

She's a very attractive girl, and if she can act (still an if) then she very well could be an asset to the movie.

But Mary Jane should always be a redhead.
Old 08-23-16, 05:41 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Hasn't Marvel Studios earned the benefit of the doubt yet? and if not yet, fucking when???
Old 08-23-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

But Mary Jane should always be a redhead.
Shouldn't we be more concerned with the plot, direction and acting? Things that actually affect the quality of a film?
Old 08-23-16, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Why is nobody complaining that Tony Revolori is Flash Thompson.
Old 08-23-16, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Shouldn't we be more concerned with the plot, direction and acting? Things that actually affect the quality of a film?
In a different kind of movie, absolutely.

When they're adapting a comic book, not as much. I mean, they should definitely make sure they've got a top notch script and a good cast, but making sure that the people on screen look like the people pictured on the page is also important.

Originally Posted by nando820
Good question. I didn't know about that, myself.

Unless he's a LOT bigger than he looks that's the worst bit of casting in a Marvel movie in a long time. The guy is supposed to be the star of the football team!
Old 08-23-16, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

In a different kind of movie, absolutely.

When they're adapting a comic book, not as much. I mean, they should definitely make sure they've got a top notch script and a good cast, but making sure that the people on screen look like the people pictured on the page is also important.

I disagree. Specifically because comic book characters change constantly in their books anyway depending on who's drawing them. I have the same reaction when everyone gets excited about Superman's curl. It doesn't matter. Just make a good movie and I'll accept any changes. Make a bad movie AND change a bunch of stuff that didn't need to be changed? Then you're just watching Transformers.

Actually, that's a good example - if Michael Bay had made an incredible movie and changed the Transformers iconic designs, I wouldn't have cared. But he made a shit movie and changed the character designs too. So there was nothing appealing about any of it.
Old 08-23-16, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
I disagree. Specifically because comic book characters change constantly in their books anyway depending on who's drawing them. I have the same reaction when everyone gets excited about Superman's curl. It doesn't matter. Just make a good movie and I'll accept any changes. Make a bad movie AND change a bunch of stuff that didn't need to be changed? Then you're just watching Transformers.

Actually, that's a good example - if Michael Bay had made an incredible movie and changed the Transformers iconic designs, I wouldn't have cared. But he made a shit movie and changed the character designs too. So there was nothing appealing about any of it.
So you'd be OK with a Spider-Man wearing a green and yellow costume?

Sure, that's still Spidey!

Or a white Robbie? Or a female Dr. Connors?

Some things you just don't screw with. What visual image has MJ ALWAYS been known for? Red hair. 50+ years. Period, end of discussion.

Just like Spider-Man has worn his red and blue suit for 50 of the last 54 years and you wouldn't change that suit until the 3rd or 4th movie in the series.

Comics are a visual medium. I keep coming back to this. It isn't like adapting anything else. The fast and loose rules with casting and costume design don't (or shouldn't) apply.

As I noted, I don't have a problem with Zendaya in the movie. Just making her Mary Jane without the red hair.

I do have a problem with the shrimp who's supposed to be Flash Thompson. What is he now, captain of the chess team? Come on. I knew having Pascal involved in the making of this movie wouldn't turn out well.
Old 08-23-16, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Stan has never criticized anything about the Marvel movies, and he never will.
"I would have liked the Hulk to be smaller in the first two movies, and I didn't like the way Doctor Doom was portrayed in Fantastic Four," he said, as reported by Geek Tyrant. "Now with Daredevil, they just wrote the whole thing wrong. They made him too tragic. That's not the way I wrote him. I think they're working on a new Daredevil movie and it will be better, so hold your judgment until then."

Originally Posted by nando820
I'm sure Tony Ravioli will be great.
Old 08-23-16, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
"I would have liked the Hulk to be smaller in the first two movies, and I didn't like the way Doctor Doom was portrayed in Fantastic Four," he said, as reported by Geek Tyrant. "Now with Daredevil, they just wrote the whole thing wrong. They made him too tragic. That's not the way I wrote him. I think they're working on a new Daredevil movie and it will be better, so hold your judgment until then."
OK, he never said anything negative about a Marvel movie until it had been out for years and already made it's money...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.