Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: Father of the Year (2018, D: Spindel) -- S: David Spade, Nat Faxon -- Netflix

Originally Posted by Rob V
I wish Adam Sandler was in this so I could say, with 100% certainty, I would never, ever, ever watch it. I like Spade as a supporting character and I can't think of anything noteworthy he's in with out Chris Farley.
This movie is literally David Spade doing his best Adam Sandler impression. He even gets the voice right in a few scenes.
Old 07-30-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: Father of the Year (2018, D: Spindel) -- S: David Spade, Nat Faxon -- Netflix

Originally Posted by RichC2
This movie is literally David Spade doing his best Adam Sandler impression. He even gets the voice right in a few scenes.
I saw this over the weekend and at first I had to ask myself if Adam Sandler was actually in the film due to Spade doing a pretty good job imitating Sandler's voice.

The film itself is just dumb but a fairly brisk 90 minutes so I was entertained and hey, I kept saying to myself that I know the actress in this film but could not remember her name and it was Bridgit Mendler.

I remember watching Good Luck Charlie and she had a brief music career (she is one of the better Disney machine actresses to try and change things up by becoming a musician) so between her, Spade, Faxon and even the actors they picked to play the teens the film worked for me, just barely, but it worked.

At 90 minutes folks it is hard to hate and an easy way to kill some time if you are not in the mood to binge a show or catch up on network/basic cable stuff that has been building up on your DVR.
Old 07-30-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

This was just horrible.

I kept wanting to like it, but it didn't happen.

One or two laughs, that was about it.
Old 07-31-18, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could only make it through 20 minutes of this movie... Do NOT waste your time on this. The movie seemed geared towards a 10 year old mindset.
Old 07-31-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I wish Adam Sandler was in this so I could say, with 100% certainty, I would never, ever, ever watch it.
That's me but with Spade. Makes it easy for me to avoid this one.
Old 07-31-18, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

In response to the posts after mine, fair enough, but I have seen much worse, and plenty of folks who know me probably think I should raise my tv/film watching standards a wee bit but this type of film is perfect if you are futzing around on your phone/tablet because you do not care if you missed something important to the plot, after all this is not 2001: A Space Odyssey we are talking about here folks.

Anyway, I am not going to edit my first post to try and unring the bell that I admitted to enjoying the film. Feel free to wince at how easy it is to entertain me.

Also, this film had a teen bedding a much older woman while another comedy I recently watched had a woman on a zip line giving a crowd a golden shower, both nasty scenes that did not make for a better film but the big difference is one film was praised for helping inject new life into comedies that have struggled at the box office and the other is rightly panned as being a pointless addition to the cannon of film comedies.

I suspect Netflix is happy with the internal metrics they have on this film, as they seem pretty happy with their pact with Adam Sandler's company to provide content.
Old 11-05-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Netflix signs Adam Sandler / Happy Madison to exclusive film deal (Star and Produ

His new special, 100% Fresh, was actually pretty good. If you like his stand-up, you'll like this more than his movies. He does get, surprisingly, melancholy towards the end. But it's a good melancholy.
Old 11-05-18, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: Netflix signs Adam Sandler / Happy Madison to exclusive film deal (Star and Produ

Originally Posted by TomOpus
His new special, 100% Fresh, was actually pretty good. If you like his stand-up, you'll like this more than his movies. He does get, surprisingly, melancholy towards the end. But it's a good melancholy.
Only 92% Fresh on RT, false advertising!!
Old 11-05-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 11-17-18, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I know this thread doesn’t get much attention.

His new one was great. Clever concept of cutting around a lot. Sandler put on a great show. Not much else to say.
Old 11-18-18, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Yeah his special was great.

Was a good reminder of how funny he can be, gave me flashbacks of listening to his albums when I was younger.

Wish he would do more like this than his easy movie cash-ins. Seems that every few years he does something where he actually tries and im always a fan of those.
Old 04-26-19, 12:23 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
re: The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5YEVQDr2f3Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
When an NYC cop (Adam Sandler) finally takes his wife (Jennifer Aniston) on a long promised European trip, a chance meeting on the flight gets them invited to an intimate family gathering on the Super Yacht of elderly billionaire Malcolm Quince. When Quince is murdered, they become the prime suspects in a modern day whodunit. MURDER MYSTERY reunites Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston along with an ensemble cast of global talent.
Old 04-28-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

An Adam Sandler film about going someplace fancy on a vacation? Where does he come up with these ideas?
Old 04-28-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Gotta love NF and their gaziillion dollar debt paying Sandler to take vacations.
Old 04-28-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Wife and I saw the trailer for Murder Mystery on Youtube, laughed at how silly it looked, and decided it’s going to be a fun time killer that we both will probably enjoy and forget on a night in....
Old 04-28-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Okay, the knife joke was pretty funny.

I hate myself for saying this but despite my better judgement I really liked Just Go With It and am totally up for more of those two together.
Old 06-14-19, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Murder Mystery dropped. I thought I'd check it out since it's relatively short. It's pretty much what you would expect. Light and breezy. Predicable. Couple giggles. Location shooting was nice.
Old 06-16-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Murder Mystery dropped. I thought I'd check it out since it's relatively short. It's pretty much what you would expect. Light and breezy. Predicable. Couple giggles. Location shooting was nice.
This. The location shots were the highlight as the film is predictable but I laughed a few times. Aniston needs to stop with either the Botox or plastic surgery as her face seems off.
Old 06-17-19, 04:07 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Murder Mystery reminded me a bit of Date Night and Game Night with its "married couple gets into dangerous hijacks" plotline, although it wasn't as funny as either of those movies. I feel like the humor played it too safe, but it was okay enough for a free watch on Netflix.
Old 06-18-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

It was ok. While I enjoy most of Sandler’s movies, I’m partial to his absurd humor like Zohan.
Old 06-18-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I have his movies in my Netflix que and will check them out sometime.
Old 06-18-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Murder Mystery has OVER 30 million views since it dropped. Biggest debut in Netflix history. Yeah this isn't ending anytime soon.
Old 06-18-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Use to be a big Sandler fan, but I haven't enjoyed anything he's put out in years.
Old 06-18-19, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

All I can say is that this was pretty watchable, and a decent way to spend a Monday night.

Save for when he is doing some weird character like Little Nicky or the Waterboy, I am always down to watch Sandler.
Old 06-19-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I watched it the other night. It was ok for some mindless movie to pass the time, but not really that funny. It came off as really cheesy and it felt like a live action take on the board game Clue.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.