DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/622710-adam-sandler-happy-madison-netflix-thread.html)

DJariya 10-01-14 11:28 PM

The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread

O’DOYLE RULES! ADAM SANDLER HEADS TO NETFLIX

GLOBALLY RENOWNED MOVIE STAR AND COMEDIAN TO MAKE FOUR MOVIES EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE MORE THAN 50 MILLION NETFLIX MEMBERS

Beverly Hills, Calif. October 1, 2014--Netflix, the world’s leading Internet TV network, will be the exclusive home of four feature films starring and produced by comic icon Adam Sandler, whose movies have delighted hundreds of millions of fans all over the world.

Sandler is a unique and prolific comic voice, whose films have grossed more than $3 billion globally at the box office and made him one of the world’s top movie stars. He is among the few actors in the world whose films consistently rank among the most viewed by Netflix members in the U.S. and across its global territories from Brazil to the U.K.

“People love Adam’s films on Netflix and often watch them again and again. His appeal spans across viewers of all ages -- everybody has a favorite movie, everyone has a favorite line -- not just in the US but all over the world,” said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos.

“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said yes for one reason and one reason only….Netflix rhymes with Wet Chicks,” said Sandler. “Let the streaming begin!!!!”

Under the deal announced today, Sandler’s Happy Madison Productions will work alongside Netflix to develop the four films and to premiere them exclusively to members in the nearly 50 countries where Netflix operates. Current studio film commitments are not included in this deal.

Sandler began his career as a stand-up comedian and joined Saturday Night Live as a writer and featured player before starring in, producing and writing numerous films, including the box office smashes The Wedding Singer, The Waterboy, The Longest Yard, Big Daddy, Anger Management, 50 First Dates, Click, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, You Don’t Mess with the Zohan, Grown Ups and Grown Ups 2.

Sandler has received critical accolades for his work in Punch-Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, Funny People, and two upcoming films, Men, Women & Children and The Cobbler, which premiered at the 2014 Toronto Film Festival.

My Other Self 10-01-14 11:41 PM

re: The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread

I thought he was in bed with Sony. I think Blended was WB though, so that relationship must have ended.

Why So Blu? 10-02-14 03:21 AM

And they won't be getting my viewership for that bullshit.

They just need to stop fucking around and release Punch Drunk Love on BD, so I can get on with my life.

dan30oly 10-02-14 08:17 AM

This IS TEH GREATEST NEWS I could evar possibly wake up to!!!!!!!1

BRING 'EM ON!!!!!

dex14 10-02-14 08:19 AM

Regardless of what you think of Sandler, this is a huge move for Netflix.

RichC2 10-02-14 08:47 AM

I was half joking about Netflix having Friday Night Movies (think HBO in the 90s) but it seems like that's actually happening. And I'm super fucking stoked about it :lol:

Troy Stiffler 10-02-14 09:19 AM

Nice move. Sets new precedence. Sandler's movies are still doing really good. And they work out a deal. Good for them.

Now, please don't make 4x romantic comedy vacation movies.

RichC2 10-02-14 10:09 AM

I hope one is a serial killer thriller starring Sandler and directed by other Netflix talent, like David Fincher.

GoldenJCJ 10-02-14 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12254912)
Regardless of what you think of Sandler, this is a huge move for Netflix.

I applaud this business decision by Netflix and I understand completely why they chose Sandler but I'd be a whole lot more excited if it were somebody, anybody, else...

Oh well, I guess it's better than a 4 picture deal with Pauly Shore, by just barely.

RichC2 10-02-14 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12255081)
I applaud this business decision by Netflix and I understand completely why they chose Sandler but I'd be a whole lot more excited if it were somebody, anybody, else...

Oh well, I guess it's better than a 4 picture deal with Pauly Shore, by just barely.

"Netflix announces 4 film deal with Larry the Cable Guy"
"Netflix announces 4 "faith based" movie deal with Lindsey Stirling"
"Netflix announces 4 movie deal with Uwe Boll"
"Netflix announces 4 movie deal with Dane Cook"
"Taylor Lautner signs exclusive 4 movie deal with Netflix"
"Netflix obtains exclusive rights for new Justin Bieber series."

I think it can be worse, pretty easily. It could also be better pretty easily (ie - I'd be happy with a 4 movie deal with Tarsem Signh, make some style over substance awesomeness), but worse far more easily. I'm not expecting another Punch-Drunk Love or even Everything Must Go / Stranger Than Fiction quality stuff, but I dunno, I'm curious to see how this plays out.

rocket1312 10-02-14 10:56 AM

I applaud this business decision by Netflix and I understand completely why they chose Sandler but I'd be a whole lot more excited if it were somebody, anybody, else....

May I ask why? It's not like this deal is preventing other people from continuing to make movies. They just won't debut on Netflix. For what it's worth, I don't think I would like it if a favorite actor/director's new movie was limited to a single subscription service.

dex14 10-02-14 10:58 AM

I'm actually kind of excited for the kind of opportunities this could lead to... 1. for Sandler... maybe he will have the freedom to do something he really is passionate about and it won't be some obvious cash grab POS. And 2. imagine the kind of deals this could lead to with directors as well... Someone who has a following, but still very niche, getting to do this.

GoldenJCJ 10-02-14 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 12255112)
May I ask why? It's not like this deal is preventing other people from continuing to make movies. They just won't debut on Netflix. For what it's worth, I don't think I would like it if a favorite actor/director's new movie was limited to a single subscription service.

As a Netflix subscriber I'm excited that I will be part of seeing movie premieres from my home but to put it simply, I'm just not excited to watch Adam Sandler movies. On the flip side, if I wasn't a Netflix subscriber, seeing that Adam Sandler signed a 4 movie exclusive deal wouldn't make me want to sign up for the service.

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12255114)
I'm actually kind of excited for the kind of opportunities this could lead to... 1. for Sandler... maybe he will have the freedom to do something he really is passionate about and it won't be some obvious cash grab POS. And 2. imagine the kind of deals this could lead to with directors as well... Someone who has a following, but still very niche, getting to do this.

Let's hope. Without knowing the stipulations in the contract I can only assume that Netflix is already taking a pretty big risk by signing Sandler and wouldn't agree to further risk by allowing Sandler out of their comfort zone with a passion project. Who knows though, maybe he'll produce a few wonderful films he otherwise wouldn't have been able to make. But again, this is Adam Sandler we're talking about...

mndtrp 10-02-14 11:37 AM

I'm not super excited about it being Adam Sandler, but I think the idea is cool.

GoldenJCJ 10-02-14 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12255114)

I forgot to respond to your second point in my last post.

I'm actually very excited for the possibilities this could have on directors in the future. To be honest, the potential for directors who could make exclusive deals with Netflix has me A LOT more excited than any actor would. I'm way more excited about the Fincher news than I am about Sandler.

Obi-Wanma 10-02-14 12:58 PM

I'm excited that 4 upcoming Adam Sandler films won't be able to pollute my theater of choice.

Preterite 10-02-14 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 12255306)
I'm excited that 4 upcoming Adam Sandler films won't be able to pollute my theater of choice.

:D That was my reaction as well: "Good! I don't subscribe to NetFlix streaming!"

Shannon Nutt 10-02-14 02:49 PM

Well, Netflix has at least figured out a way to get me to check out an Adam Sandler flick:

By not charging for it (aside from the monthly fee, of course).

Decker 10-02-14 03:34 PM

This is their second shot after Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2 (which I don't really have any interest in -- but still it's like David Fincher's Gone Girl to me in comparison to any Adam Sandler film). There's a big article on how CTHD2 is being seen as a very dangerous precedent by the theater chains in Grantland here.

And here's their take on the Sandler deal

inri222 10-02-14 03:48 PM

rotfl

RichC2 10-02-14 03:59 PM

They're supposed to be releasing it in theaters and on Netflix simultaneously.

OldBoy 10-02-14 04:02 PM

please the Adam Sandler of Punch Drunk Love and even Funny People!

Mabuse 10-03-14 02:38 PM

How much $$$ was the deal for?

Dr. DVD 10-03-14 03:50 PM

So they quit carrying Battlestar Galactica to make this deal? I hope not.

hanshotfirst1138 10-03-14 04:29 PM

They did? Damn, I was looking forward to watching BSG :(. C'est la vie.