Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 933 Likes on 689 Posts
re: The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread

Originally Posted by movieguru
I watched it the other night. It was ok for some mindless movie to pass the time, but not really that funny. It came off as really cheesy and it felt like a live action take on the board game Clue.
This comment makes me want to go home and watch it tonight.
Old 06-19-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Very watchable, not that great, but I’d give it 2 1/2 stars....
Old 06-19-19, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 435 Posts

Was it better then Clue which I think is terrible.
Old 06-19-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Was it better then Clue which I think is terrible.
I haven't ever seen Clue from start to finish. But just about all the characters are pretty much sterotypes of the murder mystery genre from a socialite, to a butler, etc. Not much depth to any of them and when you find out who the culprit or culprits are it really isn't that interesting. The whole murder scene sequence felt like it was an instory murder mystery themed dinner show and not a actual real instory murder.
Old 06-20-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 730 Likes on 595 Posts

No matter what you think of Sandler he is probably the only guy putting out comedic movies these days except for the occasional Melissa McCarthy movie.
Old 06-20-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts

Can't compare it to "Clue". I only saw it once when it first came out and don't remember anything about it. But this was just o.k. at best. I don't know why, but I kept thinking of Christina Applegate watching Aniston's performance. Aniston looks great for her age, but has she had work done? There's something different about her face.
Old 06-20-19, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Aniston looks great for her age, but has she had work done? There's something different about her face.
She's 50. Could just be her body going through changes.
Old 06-23-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,219 Likes on 2,077 Posts

Watched Murder Mystery last night mostly for Aniston. I’m not a huge fan of Sandler and have yet to watch any of his other Netflix deal movies.

Overall actually enjoyed this. The plot is about as basic as you could get for a whodunit movie but Sandler and Aniston’s chemistry along with his sarcastic comments throughout the movie made it worthwhile. There were one or two subplots that were completely useless and forgettable but it’s a good way to waste an hour and a half with a comedy.

Sandler is tolerable when he’s more low key and he was fairly tolerable here. Aniston looked smoking hot in all her dresses.
Old 06-23-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Just so we are on the same page ... these still feel like made for TV movies right? Like comparing this to Zohan is like comparing Walker Texas Ranger to Die Hard.

I still havent normalized Netflix originals and DTV type content. But I think it is the new normal for any film buff ... to accept Netflix and Amazon content alongside theatrically released films. It is the new DTV or movie of the week. With the exception of top tier talent like Scorsese and Coen Brothers getting in there.
Old 06-23-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,219 Likes on 2,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Just so we are on the same page ... these still feel like made for TV movies right? Like comparing this to Zohan is like comparing Walker Texas Ranger to Die Hard.

I still havent normalized Netflix originals and DTV type content. But I think it is the new normal for any film buff ... to accept Netflix and Amazon content alongside theatrically released films. It is the new DTV or movie of the week. With the exception of top tier talent like Scorsese and Coen Brothers getting in there.
Murder Mystery takes place in a few exotic locales so it looks better than your standard Netflix fare. That being said, you can tell they saved some money on a Cinematographer as there’s nothing special about the way it was filmed. I also don’t remember Zohan looking particularly special either so if you’re comparing this to Zohan it’s not that big of a contrast. Now if you’re comparing it to Road to Perdition or Days of Heaven you may be disappointed.
Old 06-24-19, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,233 Likes on 4,255 Posts

Just watched this. It was forgettable but fine. Not particularly funny. Aniston was very good and trying her best. Sandler wasn't particularly good but he was okay. Luke Evans was quite good and dashing but the rest of the cast was pretty hammy and not very impressive.

Saw Charlize Theron got an EP credit so I assume that means she optioned this for herself some years ago but changed her mind about doing it, like how Reese Witherspoon was an EP on Gone Girl.
Old 06-24-19, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 933 Likes on 689 Posts

Entertaining movie but forgettable. Nothing in the same ballpark as Clue or Murder By Death.
Old 01-31-20, 12:19 PM

Received 4,601 Likes on 3,118 Posts
Re: The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread

Netflix is staying in the Adam Sandler game. Following the successful release of the Jennifer Aniston- and Sandler-led comedy Murder Mystery, the streaming giant said Friday that it is extending the deal with Sandler and Happy Madison Productions to make four more movies.

Sandler and Netflix have been in business since the release of the 2015’s The Ridiculous 6 and Netflix claims that since then, its subscribers have spent more than 2 billion hours watching Sandler’s flicks. That includes The Do-Over, Sandy Wexler, The Week Of and Murder Mystery, which the company says was the most popular title on Netflix in the U.S. last year. He also released his first stand-up special in 22 years on the steamer.

In addition, Happy Madison has produced 2018’s Father of the Year, and the upcoming The Wrong Missy.

The SNL alum currently has two projects in the works with the studio: He’ll star in family film Hubie Halloween alongside Kevin James, Julie Bowen, Ray Liotta, Maya Rudolph, Rob Schneider, Kenan Thompson, Steve Buscemi, Michael Chiklis, Tim Meadows, Noah Schnapp, Paris Berelc, China Anne McClain and Shaquille O’Neal. It follows Hubie Dubois who, despite his devotion to his hometown of Salem, MA (and its legendary Halloween celebration), is a figure of mockery for kids and adults alike. But this year, something really is going bump in the night, and it’s up to Hubie to save Halloween.

Sandler also has an untitled animated feature film that he will write, produce, and star in.

“Whether you know him as Sandman, the Water Boy, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Nick Spitz or simply Adam, one thing is clear: our members can’t get enough of him,” said Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s chief content officer. “They love his stories and his humor, as we saw with Murder Mystery. So I could not be more excited to extend our partnership with Adam and the Happy Madison team and deliver more laughs around the world.”

Sandler is currently being lauded for his performance in Josh and Benny Safdie’s critically acclaimed A24 drama Uncut Gems. He was named Best Actor by the National Board of Review and is nominated for a Spirit Award.
https://deadline.com/2020/01/adam-sa...al-1202847555/
Old 01-31-20, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

And he still has another Hotel T with SPA....
Old 02-01-20, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Hi family/vacation movies are mostly misses for me. But I still love his twisted, silly, lazy, and stupid takes on genre films and whatnot.
Old 02-01-20, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Haven't liked most of his films in the last decade. All of my favorites of his seems to be from further back. Love Mr. Deeds, Big Daddy, Click, etc. He didn't play in Grandma's Boy, but that is one of my favorite comedy films.
Old 02-01-20, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Make Deuce Bigelow 3 and release it on Netflix. I'd love for that to happen.
Old 04-21-20, 09:14 AM

When Tim Morris meets his dream girl and their relationship quickly escalates through texts, he throws caution to the wind and invites her to his company’s corporate retreat on an island resort… However, when a past blind date from hell shows up at the airport for the weekend getaway instead, he learns too late that he’s been texting “The Wrong Missy.”
Old 05-17-20, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

The Wrong Missy hit yesterday. Watched it with the wife. It was halfway decent. Definitely feels like a Netflix comedy, but it wasn't bad at all.
Old 05-17-20, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 351 Likes on 270 Posts

I saw The Wrong Missy and The Do Over within the past couple days.

I liked The Do Over.
The Wrong Missy was ok.

Lauren Lapkus in The Wrong Missy was a bit much for me. I know that's the nature of her character, but it got stale after a while.

I did like the cameo though:
Spoiler:
Vanilla Ice. I saw him at a free concert last year. He was the "guest of honor" at an event promoting the local shopping/entertainment venue area. I thought he was going to half-ass his appearance, but he could still rap and did a great job entertaining the large crowd. Pretty cool, free community event.

And lastly, I really enjoy all the Adam Sandler movies that take place at vacation spots (Hawaii, Africa, Puerto Rico, etc)
Old 05-17-20, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
And lastly, I really enjoy all the Adam Sandler movies that take place at vacation spots (Hawaii, Africa, Puerto Rico, etc)
His family does, too.
Old 09-08-20, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

Check out Adam Sandler's big-hearted hero in Netflix's spooktacular 'Hubie Halloween'

Oct 7
Old 09-11-20, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Do Over wasn't great. I saw it a year or two ago.

Murder Mystery was fantastic. There were some abrupt scenes that didn't flow too well. I recently watched Radioland Murders which few know about. I only came across it after searching for whodunnit movies after I rewatched Knives Out. That said I found Knives Out more Clue! like than Murder Mystery was like Clue!

I've watched Clue maybe 20x in my life now and I still spend time thinking who did what. The film presents 3 alternative endings, but even then as the watcher you can come up with your own theories. Murder Mystery just felt like a fancier Hallmark movie.
Old 10-13-20, 04:10 PM

I kept seeing so many articles and posts about Hubie Halloween. Against my better judgement I tried to check out it. Yikes...

But, hey, Stiller’s Happy Gilmore character cameo was nice.
Old 10-13-20, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,102 Likes on 798 Posts

I watched this because . . . sure, why not?

Was it "good?" No. Was it god awful? No.

Right in that current Sandler wheelhouse of his version of a family film. It will mostly appeal to kids, but has enough in it so that adults will not be bored.

Cast is a mix of Sandler regulars and Disney Channel stars, so I was surprised by some profanity and sexual humor sprinkled into what I felt was a movie directed at children.

I see reviews that lament Sandler making a movie like this after starring in Uncut Gems. It's time for people to accept that presenting no-brainer plots with plenty of juvenile jokes is all that Sandler wants to accomplish with his productions. Number One and Two on his mind are his paycheck and having a good time on set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.