DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/622710-adam-sandler-happy-madison-netflix-thread.html)

inri222 10-27-15 02:29 PM

re: The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread

Why did I watch that? I must really hate myself!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZP55RB3_ro...ght%2Bclub.gif

DJariya 10-27-15 02:38 PM

Holy shit that looks awful!! Great investment by Netflix :lol:

Really reaching to the bottom of the barrel with some of those actors.

dex14 10-27-15 02:47 PM

I really don't understand the business model of funding film exclusives. I don't see people becoming subscribers for their films or how they'd make money. I do think creating shows does work though.

Rob V 10-27-15 03:28 PM

Lautner and Schneider and Sandler? It's a dan30oly tri-fecta of total dog shit!

majorjoe23 10-27-15 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12629428)
I really don't understand the business model of funding film exclusives. I don't see people becoming subscribers for their films or how they'd make money. I do think creating shows does work though.

My guess is they hope people who would have spent $10 to see it in the theater will spend $8 to sign up for a month so they can watch the movie and get hooked on the service. Or they hope they'll sign up for a free trial and forget to cancel.

Deadman31 10-27-15 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 12260073)
More ideas:

Adam Sandler is like, in love with some girl, but then it turns out that the girl is actually... Drew Barrymore

Adam Sandler... inherits like, a billion dollars, but first, he has to, like, become... Drew Barrymore

Adam Sandler is trapped on an island and falls in love with a coconut... named Drew Barrymore.

fixed

Troy Stiffler 10-28-15 08:00 AM

Netflix needs to do something to keep their content fresh and special. It gets really stale after awhile. After awhile, logging into Netflix is like sitting down at your DVR and finding that nothing new recorded.

It's also part of building a real, long-term business model, with a mix of new, old and original content. So they were able to fund this Adam Sandler deal. Maybe next time they'll pluck someone us movie nerds love.

I wonder what they pay for big movies like Transformers.

I think this looks alright. I'll watch it.

All those names they flashed in the trailer, and I think they skipped poor Chris Parnell.

Goat3001 10-28-15 08:48 AM

Make no mistake, Sandler is still a draw, especially at the price point Netflix offers. He's giving Netflix 4 movies and I'm sure there will be plenty of families that will pay the $8 a month for it rather than taking their kids to the theater.

While I'm not going to watch this movie because it looks like utter crap, I do hope it works out for Netflix. I'd like to see them fund a bunch of small budget flicks, some of which I'm sure will be a hit.

RichC2 10-28-15 09:12 AM

I usually defend Sandler, as of late it comes off like the Internet just has a thing against the guy and it's the "in" thing to do, and imo it's mostly unfounded, I even liked The Cobbler for the most part (minus that horrible ending) and most of Pixels, but this really does just look awful -- and it sounds like it was recorded with cell phones instead of boom mics. Joe Dirt 2 might have competition as the worst big name 'net original.

dex14 10-28-15 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 (Post 12630068)
Make no mistake, Sandler is still a draw, especially at the price point Netflix offers. He's giving Netflix 4 movies and I'm sure there will be plenty of families that will pay the $8 a month for it rather than taking their kids to the theater.

While I'm not going to watch this movie because it looks like utter crap, I do hope it works out for Netflix. I'd like to see them fund a bunch of small budget flicks, some of which I'm sure will be a hit.

Yea... I mean that is what I assumed. I just can't really comprehend that Sandler would be enough of a draw to make a dent and have this deal payoff in the long run.

They paid $60mil for an upcoming Brad Pitt movie. It just seems like it would be a loss to me. Same with Beast of No Nation ($12m)... I don't see the cost of the purchase translating to a profit.

RichC2 10-28-15 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12630098)
Yea... I mean that is what I assumed. I just can't really comprehend that Sandler would be enough of a draw to make a dent and have this deal payoff in the long run.

They paid $60mil for an upcoming Brad Pitt movie. It just seems like it would be a loss to me. Same with Beast of No Nation ($12m)... I don't see the cost of the purchase translating to a profit.

Original content to keep members happy and hopefully generate discussion, it's the HBO methodology -- though I don't think they've ever spent $60m on a single movie, $12m is a bit more in line for them (hell the pilot episode of Boardwalk Empire cost $18m). Netflix's goal right now is to win some Oscars, and gain some discussion (any publicity for them is good right now, unless it's all "I'm canceling", as long as people are talking).

dan30oly 10-28-15 09:24 AM

You guys make the fun, but looks like a good movie.

I'm gonna renew my netflix just to see it!

GoldenJCJ 10-28-15 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12630091)
I usually defend Sandler, as of late it comes off like the Internet just has a thing against the guy and it's the "in" thing to do, and imo it's mostly unfounded, I even liked The Cobbler for the most part (minus that horrible ending) and most of Pixels, but this really does just look awful --

The guy has admitted to making movies solely so he can get a nice vacation out of it. Why would anyone waste their time watching something that for all intents and purposes is just a rich guy enjoying a free trip on the studio's dime?

Although, I'll admit that it looks like Sandler has put in more effort into this new movie than he has in the last ten years or so. Though I'm not sure that's really saying much.

RichC2 10-28-15 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12630193)
The guy has admitted to making movies solely so he can get a nice vacation out of it. Why would anyone waste their time watching something that for all intents and purposes is just a rich guy enjoying a free trip on the studio's dime?

Although, I'll admit that it looks like Sandler has put in more effort into this new movie than he has in the last ten years or so. Though I'm not sure that's really saying much.

Which I'm fine with as long as the movies are entertaining. Blended was not, I've not seen a comedy with less attempted "comedy" than that one in a while. Just Go With It kept me mostly entertained as a background kind of movie... don't think any of his other flicks are location specific outside of 50 First Dates.

Supermallet 10-28-15 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12630193)

Sandler's been a joke for a long time, but I wrote him off completely after Funny People. He spent that whole movie lampooning the types of films that made him rich, and portrayed a character who was looking for more depth, and I thought maybe this was Sandler's way of pivoting his career (not that it was his first serious role, but it was his first self-aware serious role). He then turned around and proceeded to turn out more of the same schlock that he was poo-pooing in Funny People. I'm out.

Deftones 12-11-15 11:53 AM

FYI, the Ridiculous 6 western flick is up on Netflix now.

TomOpus 12-11-15 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 12668752)
FYI, the Ridiculous 6 western flick is up on Netflix now.

I will check it out just to see bad I imagine it will be.

majorjoe23 12-11-15 03:48 PM

Will there be a limited theater screening for awards season?

AaronHernandez 12-13-15 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12630098)

Beast Of No Nation looks like it could pick up a Best Picture Oscar Nomination and Idris Elba is a real contender to win Best Supporting Actor and is close to locked for the nom. Brad Pitt seems like a bad investment but Beasts imo will really be huge for them because a lot of people are Oscar completists.

JumpCutz 12-13-15 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 12669034)
Will there be a limited theater screening for awards season?

It doesn't need a limited run, it's already garnered several critics' awards and is a shoo-in for several Oscar nominations. I still don't see it winning Best Picture, despite the strong advance word.

Drexl 12-13-15 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 12670448)
It doesn't need a limited run, it's already garnered several critics' awards and is a shoo-in for several Oscar nominations. I still don't see it winning Best Picture, despite the strong advance word.

:lol:

dan30oly 12-13-15 04:29 PM

I will watch, and give detailed review, within days.

Wait.

Troy Stiffler 12-13-15 06:23 PM

I like Ridiculous 6 for the same reasons I like most of Sander's "genre" movies.

I assume that only me and dan30oly is going to enjoy this.

invisiblegt 12-13-15 07:24 PM

For those who have seen it (all, apparently, one of you), what's the language like in this one?

Troy Stiffler 12-13-15 07:49 PM

No real swearing. Standard goofy Sandler sex references. Plenty of friendly-goofy-offensive (Sandler's style) references to Indians and historical figures (including Lincoln's assassination). Some silly violence. A donkey with diarrhea. It might make your kid dumb.

It'd be PG-13 for sure.