DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/622710-adam-sandler-happy-madison-netflix-thread.html)

mphtrilogy 10-06-14 10:49 AM

re: The Adam Sandler / Happy Madison / Netflix Thread

Adam Sandler movie ideas:

Adam Sandler as a Hockey Coach in "4th liner"
Adam Sandler as a washed up Musician in "Amped Up"
Adam Sandler as a washed up Music teacher/Gym Teacher in "Drop and Give me 50"
Adam Sandler as a Car Salesman in "Certified"
Adam Sandler teaming up with David Spade in a buddy cop or buddy prisoner movie in "On the Road Again"
Adam Sandler with a dog co-star in "Sparky Goes nuts"
Adam Sandler as a washed up B level Actor involved in a Murder HiJinx plot in "Murder by a Death"
Adam Sandler as a washed up B level Actor involved in a case of mistaken identity in a Mob hit in "Fellas b good"
Adam Sandler moving back in with his parents "in The 50 Year old in the Basement"
Adam Sandler gets drafted in the Army by a technical glitch and heads to Iraq in "Full Frontal Iraq"
Sandler as a plumber in "Wasteland"
Adam Sandler as a burnt out Radio Host in "50000 Watts"
Adam Sandler as a Motivational Speaker in "The Power of Me"
Adam Sandler solving crime in "the Investigator"
Adam Sandler as the President, voted in as a 3rd party candidate after he saves a kid and his dog from getting hit by a car "Calling President Jones"

Decker 10-06-14 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 12259726)
This might just be a very smart move on Sandler's part. He is now 48 years old, and I wonder how much longer he'll be popular, especially with young people. Getting 4 films in the pipeline is not a bad idea.

Yeah. On Netflix they're review-proof and nobody has to see your continuing Box Office decline. If he can get comparable compensation, why not appear to be a pioneer and go this route? It's not like he's a cinematic auteur.

RichC2 10-06-14 11:52 AM

Netflix gave 3 seasons to Hemlock Grove. A sane place would have canned that shit after 3 episodes.

Alan Smithee 10-06-14 01:13 PM

Adam Sandler moving back in with his parents "in The 50 Year old in the Basement"
I'd watch that one at least. Maybe the one where he gets elected President too.

Obi-Wanma 10-06-14 02:54 PM

More ideas:

Adam Sandler is like, in love with some girl, but then it turns out that the girl is actually a ...golden retriever, or something.

Adam Sandler... inherits like, a billion dollars, but first, he has to, like, become a ...boxer, or something

Adam Sandler is trapped on an island and falls in love with a coconut.

devilshalo 10-06-14 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Variety
Adam Sandler Netflix Deal Won’t End Relationship With Sony

Adam Sandler’s landmark deal to produce and star in four feature films for Netflix will not fundamentally alter his longstanding relationship with Sony Pictures.

The studio has been home to Sandler’s Happy Madison Productions for 15 years and has fielded 25 films over that time including such homegrown hits as “Click,” “You Don’t Mess with the Zohan” and “50 First Dates.” The deal to make feature films does not expire for years, and Sandler is expected to be involved in upcoming Sony films such as the event film “Pixels” and “Hotel Transylvania 2,” as well as a possible third installment in the “Grown Ups” series, according to an individual with knowledge of the deal.

Happy Madison’s deal with Sony Pictures Television has technically expired, but the division is in the process of renewing the pact, according to individuals with knowledge of that deal. The partnership has yielded seven seasons of the sitcom “Rules of Engagement” on CBS and two seasons of “The Goldbergs” on ABC, along with other less successful series such as “Breaking In.”

In return for being situated on Sony’s Culver City lot, Happy Madison grants Sony first look on the projects it develops. It’s not clear if Sony has right of first-refusal on the projects Sandler will bring to Netflix, but in the past the actor has done films such as “Blended” and “Bedtime Stories” at rival studios, demonstrating that the deal is not exclusive.

Netflix has not announced any studio partners on the films it makes with Sandler. There are currently no discussions with Sony to create the films the actor delivers to Netflix.

Sony was made aware of the Netflix pact before the news broke. The deal with the streaming service gives Sandler greater creative freedom to make the kinds of projects he wants to than would have been afforded by Sony or another traditional studio, according to an individual familiar with the terms.

rexinnih 10-06-14 04:33 PM

Wait, I thought Sandler's deal with the Devil already ran out?

hanshotfirst1138 10-06-14 06:36 PM

Michael Bay is the most successful director in the world and the OOT hasn't gotten a 4K remaster, Lucifer is out of the Cage, and Crowley and Michael are in it.

devilshalo 10-07-14 10:45 PM

Warner Bros. No Longer in Talks to Make Adam Sandler's 'The Ridiculous Six' (Exclusive)
4:14 PM PST 10/07/2014 by Pamela McClintock

Warner Bros. is no longer in talks to make Adam Sandler's The Ridiculous Six, a Western comedy that faced a series of challenges, including the actor's decision to make four feature films exclusively for Netflix, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The Netflix deal, announced Oct. 1, caught many by surprise, since Sandler is one of the studio system's most entrenched, and prolific, stars. He'll both star in and produce the four titles, meaning he'll be unavailable for long stretches of time for studio projects. His company, Happy Madison Productions, will develop the movies in tandem with Netflix.

A host of issues plagued Ridiculous Six well before Netflix announced its Sandler partnership. One insider said Warners' decision to walk away from the comedy had nothing to do with the streaming service, yet the decision coincided with word of Sandler's new deal.

Warners had been in talks for months to make the film, and during that time, Sandler's Blended badly underperformed for the studio, while Seth McFarlane's A Million Ways to Die in the West, another Western comedy, out and out bombed (Universal and Media Rights Capital made that film). Also, Warners and Happy Madison hadn't come to terms on the size of the production budget for Ridiculous Six.

It's not the first time Ridiculous Six has left the rodeo. Sony was originally set to make the movie, but put the film into turnaround in 2012. Paramount pursued the movie, then passed, with rights reverting to Sony.

Warner Bros. declined comment on Ridiculous Six. Sony and Happy Madison likewise declined comment, including as to whether Ridiculous Six could now be headed to Netflix.

Warner executives haven't made any official statements, but behind the scenes say they fully intend to work with Sandler again. And Sony, where Sandler has a longtime deal, says it has every intention of working with Sandler for years to come.

Still, industry observers question what will happen once Sandler's current Sony commitments, including Pixels and Hotel Transylvania 2, have been completed and he turns his attention to his Netflix projects. Pixels, which just wrapped shooting, is set for release July 24, 2015. The Hotel Transylvania sequel rolls out Sept. 15, 2015, and there's a possible Grown Ups 3 in the offing.

Sources say Sandler, whose box-office track record has been up and down as of late, did call Sony and Warners to personally inform them of the deal, but didn't give much notice.

RichC2 03-05-15 07:26 AM

At this point, one of the movies needs to just be him and Barker fighting it out for 85 minutes. Or a Happy Gilmore sequel.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b54pmFhzfDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

devilshalo 03-05-15 11:06 AM

Wow, something funny from Sandler. :eek:

RichC2 03-15-15 09:24 AM

I watched The Cobbler last night, despite its reviews I thought it was one of the better Sandler flicks in quite a while. High concept, a lot of Jewish talk, but I had a lot of morally ambiguous fun with it.

It's definitely Thomas McCarthy's worst movie (the other three movies he's directed so far: Win Win, The Visitor and The Station Agent) but I enjoyed it, stupid ending and all.

whotony 03-15-15 10:27 AM

The cobbler? Had to look that one up never heard of.

Groucho 03-15-15 11:03 AM

Looks like it went straight to VOD. Now I understand why Sandler was open to this deal.

Troy Stiffler 03-15-15 11:05 AM

Has there been a successful "western anything" in the last ten or twenty years? They want to freshen it with comedy or sci-fi. But it never works out.

I personally think it's because, what made westerns work, is culturally dead.

RichC2 03-15-15 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12423414)
Looks like it went straight to VOD. Now I understand why Sandler was open to this deal.

It had a $10m budget and it isn't exactly a widely appealing premise so it's understandable regardless. But yeah, his name doesn't pull em in these days. Considering it's mostly just him and Buscemi with a little bit of Dustin Hoffman and Method Man, I think he just wanted to make another "Jewish" movie, if that makes any sense.

sauce07 03-15-15 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 12423416)
Has there been a successful "western anything" in the last ten or twenty years? They want to freshen it with comedy or sci-fi. But it never works out.

I personally think it's because, what made westerns work, is culturally dead.

Django Unchained, True Grit, Brokeback Mountain and Open Range.

Hazel Motes 03-15-15 07:24 PM

The Proposition.

RocShemp 03-15-15 07:50 PM

The Homesman

Solid Snake 03-15-15 08:16 PM

Meek's Cutoff.

dex14 10-27-15 02:07 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qUp7Qgimn38" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Goat3001 10-27-15 02:14 PM

yikes...

Solid Snake 10-27-15 02:19 PM

Jesus titty fucking Christ.

majorjoe23 10-27-15 02:28 PM

I'll be in my bunk.

majorjoe23 10-27-15 02:28 PM

Oops, forgot to log into my dan30oly account.