Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Expendables 3 (Hughes, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Expendables 3 (Hughes, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
3.70%
3.70%
7.41%
25.93%
14.81%
14.81%
25.93%
0%
3.70%
0%
0%
The Expendable Waistlines 3
0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 06:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"The Expendables 3" (Starring: Stallone, Statham, Ford, Schwarzenegger, Gibson, Snipes, Lundgren, Couture, Crews, Banderas, Grammer)

Release Date:
8/15/14

Rating:
PG-13 (for violence including intense sustained gun battles and fight scenes, and for language throughout.)

Running Time:
126m. (2h. 06m.)

Budget:
$150 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Barney (Stallone), Christmas (Statham) and the rest of the team comes face-to-face with Conrad Stonebanks (Gibson), who years ago co-founded The Expendables with Barney. Stonebanks subsequently became a ruthless arms trader and someone who Barney was forced to kill... or so he thought. Stonebanks, who eluded death once before, now is making it his mission to end The Expendables -- but Barney has other plans. Barney decides that he has to fight old blood with new blood, and brings in a new era of Expendables team members, recruiting individuals who are younger, faster and more tech-savvy. The latest mission becomes a clash of classic old-school style versus high-tech expertise in the Expendables' most personal battle yet.

IMDb Info and Rating:
6.2 (8,723 votes as of 8/11/14

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:07 Rotten:12 (37% as of 8/11/14)

Metacritic:
33 metascore ('Generally unfavorable reviews' as of 8/11/14)

Trailer:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://v.traileraddict.com/93253" allowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Poster Art:
Spoiler:
Old 08-14-14, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Expendables 3 (Hughes, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Never see Expendables 3 yet. But for sure it's a great movie because I've seen the first one. Great.
Old 08-14-14, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

^ Sound logic.
Old 08-15-14, 06:37 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

What a wasted opportunity. This movie feels like the sequel you would make if your franchise hasn't been around in 15 / 20 years... It's pretty light on action overall. Gibson and Banderas were the standouts to me. It just made me want Lethal Weapon 5 even more. Ford was good, but didn't have too much to do. I enjoyed Grammer's part. Snipes was wasted. The new young group were unlikeable except for maybe 1 of them.

Last edited by dex14; 08-15-14 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-15-14, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Its a waste of time. They look amazingly old...all of them. Harrison Ford is sooooooooo bored during this and it makes me wonder how good the return of Han Solo will be. Gibson as the villain was pretty dull, Wesley Snipes was ok...maybe the best thing in it....but hardly in it really. Banderas was not bad. And Jet Li appeared for about 60 seconds...and was firing guns. No karate....just guns. Hollywood really does not know how to out this guy in a role where his true talent can be shown. Too late now for him i guess. Lundgren and Crews were my favorite thing about the first two movies and they feel pretty wasted here. These movies promised so much, but too little too late. If they were done 25 years ago and with full on gore they could have been amazing. Please let this series die and the idea of a female version makes me cringe.
Old 08-15-14, 11:08 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I wonder if we will still get a 4th... and the female spinoff...

Expendables 3, featuring a multigenerational lineup of action stars, is expected to take in $20 million to $25 million for the weekend, a series low. In addition to potential franchise fatigue, a pristine copy of the film leaked on the Internet is likely to hurt grosses, much as what happened when The Wolverine was pirated before its release.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...3-opens-725733
Old 08-15-14, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm skipping out on this one. EX2 failed me. I enjoyed EX1 but that had issues all over too. Seems like The Raid 2 is the current action champ for me.
Old 08-15-14, 02:50 PM
Banned

since i enjoyed the the first and second movies so much i decided to skip watching the leaked bootleg online. i didn't like this movie. antonio banderas was so annoying and it seemed like they told him we have no dialog written for you so do whatever you want. harrison ford looks old but gives a good performance. better than his last indiana jones performance. jett li is in this movie and has no great fight scenes. mel gibson is o.k. but not as good as when van dam played the bad guy in the last movie.
Old 08-15-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Lou Lumenick in the New York Post gave it zero stars. I read the review in the print edition, but I can't find it on their website.
Old 08-15-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I am skipping this one, I will be waiting for the unrated bluray. This shouldn't have been made as a PG13, the first two were hits as R rated movies, and no one will care under the age of 30.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 08-15-14 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-15-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Lou Lumenick in the New York Post gave it zero stars. I read the review in the print edition, but I can't find it on their website.
Print? What's that?
Old 08-15-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Greatly disapppointed with this movie! Why have this young group be the core of film when the actual concept of The Expendables are the old action stars. Some of the criteria to becoming recruited is quite preposterous:

Spoiler:
Ronda's character ,being a bouncer at a bar and beating up some guys, was all it took for her to become part of the team...military training not necessary!

There were some odd editing as well that made the action very choppy (most likely due to the PG13 rating), plus one of the original cast shows up for less than a minute. Mel Gibson's portrayal of the villain seems to be the only saving grace...

Spoiler:
Stallone's and Gibson's fight at the end was also a downer as the whole encounter was less than 2 minutes.

Somehow starting to think this leak may have been intentional so as to explain its poor perfomance at the box office, and not exactly because of the movie itself.
Old 08-15-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Too bad this sounds like a major disappointment. I like the first two films for what they are despite not being perfect so I think I'll still see this for the hell of it but I don't have high expectations for it.
Old 08-15-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it was ok. lundgren was good.
Old 08-15-14, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of the worst movies of the year. It also contains some of the worst CGI I have seen in a long time. This movie cost $150 million and the CGI in Sharknado was better.

One star out of four stars.
Old 08-15-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Expendables franchise.
Old 08-15-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if we will still get a 4th... and the female spinoff...
I'm sure they'll at least try. These movies do HUGE money in the overseas markets.
Old 08-15-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Wow, I was all ready to see this (liked both of the first two) and after visiting this thread, I'm thinking about staying home this weekend.
Old 08-15-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Wow, I was all ready to see this (liked both of the first two) and after visiting this thread, I'm thinking about staying home this weekend.
I'm sort of wondering if the film is really that bad or if people are mostly whining because they're convinced that since it got a PG-13 rating that it instantly isn't up to par or something. Same thing happened with Live Free or Die Hard. I'm going to it tonight and will judge but I'm leaning towards the rating being a big part of why people are making such a stink (it seems like that's csomething a lot of the negative reviews are dwelling on). Personally I don't expect a masterful film just some popcorn action with some of my favorite actors.
Old 08-15-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm sort of wondering if the film is really that bad or if people are mostly whining because they're convinced that since it got a PG-13 rating that it instantly isn't up to par or something. Same thing happened with Live Free or Die Hard. I'm going to it tonight and will judge but I'm leaning towards the rating being a big part of why people are making such a stink (it seems like that's csomething a lot of the negative reviews are dwelling on). Personally I don't expect a masterful film just some popcorn action with some of my favorite actors.
I still disagree that happened, but we went over that enough already
Old 08-15-14, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

While the movie on a whole was pretty bad... It was great to see Mel and he was a great villain. It was also great to see Wesley and he was ok in this. Banderas was hilarious to me and ok... the young actors not one stood out and I can't even remember their names (except for the UFC chick.).

I wish Mel could get back into making good movies again. I miss him...
Old 08-15-14, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I have an $8 Fandango Movie Cash from buying Escape Plan. I however can't see this for 2 weeks due to a jam packed work schedule. Paying $1-2 to see it is still fine with me.
Old 08-15-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will post my full review no one care about or will read in its entirety later, but this franchise has employed J.J. Perry, Chad Stahelski, Brad Martin, Corey Yuen Kwai, Guk Hin-Chiu, Gary Daniels, Scott Adkins, JCVD, Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture, a cadre of other MMA fighters, Wesley Snipes, Jet Li Lian-Jie, and that's not even counting a former football player, boxer, and a list of stuntmen as long as my arm. Seriously, why are there so few hand-to-hand combat scenes? If they want this to be a tribute to these physically skilled performers, let them fight! Seriously, what the hell?!

I don't know if it was the particular DCP where I saw it (Wish I'd known the next one was Dolby Atmos!), but the digital cinematography in this looked particularly cold and washed out to me. Probably just me. Rousey is lucky she's attractive and can hit people, because even by the standard of fighters in movies, she's a terrible actress. Gibson seemed to actually be having fun though, he was a good villain.

Why not have these team movies specialize in some way? The explosive expert, the martial artist, the tech head, the strategist, etc? Most of these musclebound guys are disappointingly not only without personality, but even archetype. Maniacal Banderas with his hilarious accent was fun though.

"Drummer's in the house!"
Though stupid, it was kind of cool to hear Harrison Ford say that.

"Tax evasion!"
"Get to the chopper!"
That was so postmodern, I literally though our culture would actually fold in on itself and implode.

As Walter Hill will likely never direct again after his last box office dud, which is a shame as his archetypal no-nonsense style would be perfect for this straight-faced franchise, I move for Gareth Evans. His kind of gonzo intensity is what this franchise, which pretty much coasts on its cast and fans' good will, needs to give it a kick in the ass.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 08-15-14 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-15-14, 10:52 PM

It was really cool to see wesley back in his element. Antonio and Mel were both good as well. The main problem with this movie is the "story". They wasted an hour of the movie on pointless plot points and story and went out of the way to introduce new young'ns that you never cared for. The last hour however was pretty much all action and was enjoyable but it wasn't enough to save the film.
Old 08-15-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The weird thing is that it sort of flirts with themes of old age and regret and the mercenaries' services vs. the malevolence of the governments they serve and such before it drops them completely to blow stuff up. That's not a horrible thing by any means-I don't go to these movies for deep themes, and if they want to just make a nuts-and-bolts action flick, that's perfectly fine. But it's weird how the film almost symbolically ends with the aged characters duking it out in a burned-out locale. I frankly didn't care much about the new crew, this having Stallone spend all of that time picking them up only to have them receive no actual character development and do nothing except argue with the old guys. They were kind of pointless, to be honest, I'd rather they just have kept the frankly already overstuffed cast and focused on them. Jet Li gets top billing and hopefully a good paycheck for being in the movie for a grand total of five minutes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.