Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Filmmaking Analysis Found Online

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Filmmaking Analysis Found Online

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Filmmaking Analysis Found Online

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think Avery probably deserves most of the credit for innovating that classic cartoon style. Jones' stuff gets more publicity because his cartoons were popular when the biggest current generation was growing up, the Baby Boomers.
There was for many years a Bugs Bunny / Road Runner show on big network Saturday morning TV that, due to rights issues, only showed the cartoons made after ~1948. So almost anyone who grew up then knew the cartoons of this era where the best cartoon were usually the Chuck Jones directed ones, but they didn't get to see the pre-1948 cartoon when other directors created the best cartoons and defined the style (during which time that Chuck Jones was trying to out-cutesy Disney with his character Sniffles the mouse).

And his bitter, one-sided hatred of Bob Clampett shows that he probably wasn't that great of a guy to start with. The way he ruined Daffy Duck's wild and crazy personality by changing him into a selfish and greedy character was presumably based on Bob Clampett's personality, but I think was really more of a self-reflection of Jones' attitude towards Clampett instead. The strange thing about it is he accused Bob Clampett of stealing credit for a lot of the characters, but when all was said and done, it ultimatedly was Chuck Jones who stole the credit from everyone else.
Old 09-24-15, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a good video essay on the general decline in the quality of movie posters.

WTF Happened to Movie Posters?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VXJiBkFgprQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(This is from late 2013 but I only recently stumbled across it)
Old 09-25-15, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Over the last 6 months i have watched a lot of Stuckmanns videos and whilst i don't always agree with the things he says, he always makes highly watchable video reviews and analysis. Too many of these Youtube guys seem to act like shouting and trying way too hard to be funny makes their videos awesome. It doesn't. I like the fact that Stuckmann actually looks beyond the movie and into its production and the history of those involved. He does not get bogged down in the details and makes them quick, insightful and well rounded.

On one of his reviews (The Hilarocity video for Batman and Robin) he has a co-reviewer and that guy is bad. He shouts and you can see him wanting to be seen as cool and funny and badass. Its a nice comparison to see them both reviewing a piece at a time as it shows how its done well and how its done rather bad.
Old 09-27-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
Over the last 6 months i have watched a lot of Stuckmanns videos and whilst i don't always agree with the things he says, he always makes highly watchable video reviews and analysis.
Yeah, I've become a big fan of Chris Stuckmann's reviews too. Even though I disagree with him on a lot of movies, I think his opinion is always worth hearing about any movie. And he seems like a likeable person which helps when watching reviews that seldom have clips in them. (I guess he usually avoids using clips - unless necessary to make a particular point - because it takes longer to put out reviews with them edited in, and also risks running into an occasional "copyright claim by a studio" that I've seen other online reviewers have to deal with.)

Originally Posted by james2025a
On one of his reviews (The Hilarocity video for Batman and Robin) he has a co-reviewer and that guy is bad. He shouts and you can see him wanting to be seen as cool and funny and badass. Its a nice comparison to see them both reviewing a piece at a time as it shows how its done well and how its done rather bad.
That other guy is John Flickinger of "The Flick Pick". And, yeah, even though he's friends with Chris Stuckmann and probably is a nice enough guy in person, I think his review style is a bit too "Jerk Jock" in tone so I don't check out reviews on his channel nearly as much as ones on Stuckmann's channel.
Old 11-02-15, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Discarded Image channel looks at the Pool Hall sequence from Brian De Palma's "Carlito's Way"

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/130616396" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Discarded Image: Episode 2 - Carlito's Way (De Palma, 1993) from 1848 Media on Vimeo.

Old 11-02-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

^^^^^

That was good. Even though he has had some stinkers, I've always been a fan of De Palma's work. When he's good he can make some of the best films, a true auteur.
Old 11-02-15, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, Brian De Palma is an extremely skilled filmmaker who makes too many lousy movies, but even his worst ones will have a very well-done scene or two in them. He really is a master of setpiece scenes.

I remember back when he used to be considered the "next Hitchcock" but then after his career dropped drastically, I think David Fincher fits that title better now.
Old 11-02-15, 09:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
That video essay makes me want to create one on why Chuck Jones gets far too much credit these days for the comedy style of WB cartoons. Others such as Tex Avery and Bob Clampett did the most to innovate the style, while Chuck Jones just eventually adopted the style (after finally abandoning his attempts to be cutesy like Disney) and helped keep it going after those guys left the company.
I don't think Chuck Jones gets credit for creating the comedy style of WB cartoons, at least among anyone who knows even a bit of history of Termite Terrace.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think Avery probably deserves most of the credit for innovating that classic cartoon style. Jones' stuff gets more publicity because his cartoons were popular when the biggest current generation was growing up, the Baby Boomers.
Jones' stuff gets more publicity because he refined and perfected the styles that the guys before him created. He didn't create Elmer Fudd chasing Bugs Bunny or "Shhh I'm hunting rabbits", but he did create "Rabbit season/duck season/rabbit season". Also his "cutesy" style as dhmac puts it became the basis for the look of the Looney Tunes forever after. The more angular looks of the earlier cartoons feel archaic by comparison.

There was for many years a Bugs Bunny / Road Runner show on big network Saturday morning TV that, due to rights issues, only showed the cartoons made after ~1948. So almost anyone who grew up then knew the cartoons of this era where the best cartoon were usually the Chuck Jones directed ones, but they didn't get to see the pre-1948 cartoon when other directors created the best cartoons and defined the style (during which time that Chuck Jones was trying to out-cutesy Disney with his character Sniffles the mouse).

And his bitter, one-sided hatred of Bob Clampett shows that he probably wasn't that great of a guy to start with. The way he ruined Daffy Duck's wild and crazy personality by changing him into a selfish and greedy character was presumably based on Bob Clampett's personality, but I think was really more of a self-reflection of Jones' attitude towards Clampett instead. The strange thing about it is he accused Bob Clampett of stealing credit for a lot of the characters, but when all was said and done, it ultimatedly was Chuck Jones who stole the credit from everyone else.
There are great cartoons from virtually every era of the original run of Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons, and the earlier stuff isn't better just because it's earlier. For every "Porky in Wackyland" there are dozens of forgettable, throwaway cartoons. Jones didn't make solid gold with every cartoon he released for WB, but I'd argue he has the best track record of any of the WB directors. His cartoons has a sense of pacing and structure that makes them feel more fully realized. Whether or not you think highly of him, he was a brilliant animator and director, and it's thanks to his work that Looney Tunes is still as revered as it is today. You don't see Disney cartoons of the same period get nearly as much love as WB cartoons do now.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (10-13-21)
Old 11-04-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I don't think Chuck Jones gets credit for creating the comedy style of WB cartoons, at least among anyone who knows even a bit of history of Termite Terrace.
Anyone who knows the actual history doesn't think this but so many documentaries, interviews, articles, etc. sing the praises of Chuck Jones so much that a lot of people in the general public thinks he was the main guy behind these cartoons. (A way to tell the difference is if people know what the term "Termite Terrace" means - if they do, they probably know the real history; if they don't, they probably think Chuck Jones was the main creative force.)

(There is an odd irony in that Chuck Jones' one-sided feud with Bob Clampett was over his opinion that Bob Clampett claimed too much credit for the cartoons from Termite Terrace. But as history played out, now Chuck Jones is the one who gets too much credit, primarily due to the media not caring to dig deeply in the history and him outliving both Bob Clampett and Tex Avery, and hence giving a lot more interviews on the subject later in life.)
Old 11-04-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Discarded Image channel's video on the "Last Day as a Wise Guy" sequence from Martin Scorsese's "Goodfellas"

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/135486928" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Discarded Image: Episode 3 - Goodfellas (Scorsese, 1990) from 1848 Media on Vimeo.

Old 11-04-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think David Fincher fits that title better now.
Nah, not enough perversion in his films.
Old 11-04-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There was one Hitchcock, and he was Hitchcock. Of the often-compared, Fincher is too clinical, DePalma is too baroque, Argento too elaborate, Spielberg is too infatuated with special effects, and Verhoeven is too vulgar. He casts a huge shadow, but there's never going to be anyone quite like him. Henri-Georges Clouzot might have been his closest contemporary analog; he was as playful and and intense, and just as smart, but more gritty and didn't have Hitchcock's sleek pop-expressionist or sense of dark humor.
Old 11-05-15, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Henri-Georges Clouzot might have been his closest contemporary analog; he was as playful and and intense, and just as smart, but more gritty and didn't have Hitchcock's sleek pop-expressionist or sense of dark humor.
Also Claude Chabrol, but still no cigar.
Old 11-06-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't mean Fincher is the same as Hitchcock, I'm just using the vernacular common in the press for labeling filmmakers. They will call a up-and-coming filmmaker the "next" one of an established filmmaker - for example, in this infamous Newsweek magazine cover (spoiler-tagged for size):
Spoiler:

I don't think David Fincher is some sort of carbon-copy of Alfred Hitchcock, just that Hitch is clearly an influence on Fincher. Other influences on Fincher are Kubrick and even Spielberg, as shown in this video essay:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/130493873?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

David Fincher – Touch of Spielberg from Michael Bryant on Vimeo.

Old 12-07-15, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="520" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UWEjxkkB8Xs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-09-15, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Discarded Image: Episode 4 - "The Conversation" (Coppola, 1974)

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/140953561" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Discarded Image: Episode 4 - The Conversation (Coppola, 1974) from 1848 Media on Vimeo.

Old 12-27-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"The Discarded Image" episode 5 is a look at the original 1977 "Star Wars"

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/148887200?portrait=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Discarded Image: Episode 5 - Star Wars (Lucas, 1977) from Julian Palmer on Vimeo.

Old 04-18-16, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been remiss in updates for this thread, so I plan to make a few in short order...

First up is this video essay by the Nerdwriter titled "The Evolution of Batman's Gotham City"

Old 04-25-16, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Julian Palmer on his film analysis channel "The Discarded Image" discusses Alfred Hitchcock in this video essay titled "Psycho - How Alfred Hitchcock Manipulates An Audience":

( direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm-9E275D9c )
( alternate link of same video essay at Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/159301414 )
Old 05-13-16, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A video essay by The Discarded Image on John Carpenter's "Halloween"

"Halloween - The Fundamental Slasher"

Old 05-24-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Video Essay : Which Movies Have the Greatest Cinematography?
Old 05-25-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 10-13-21, 02:54 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Bump!

These guys are working with Fincher now