Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Maleficent Casts a Spell on Seth MacFarlane: Box Office 5/30-6/1

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Maleficent Casts a Spell on Seth MacFarlane: Box Office 5/30-6/1

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 822 Likes on 694 Posts
Re: Maleficent Casts a Spell on Seth MacFarlane: Box Office 5/30-6/1

The modern superhero movie age is only possible due to the continued decline in costs of effective CGI. It's hard pulling off realistic superhero action using practical effects. It's the main reason why superhero movies hadn't completely taken over the box office before the last decade.
Old 06-03-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Honestly Ash, would any of those characters come off well in the 60s and early 70s? Was the technology there to do Spider-Man?
I remember when INFRA-MAN, the Hong Kong take on Ultraman, came out in New York and played Times Square. That Friday night, a week after it opened, I went to Japan Society, which was running a Godzilla/Japanese sci-fi festival that summer, and the pre-internet fanboys were out in force for the show and one of them loudly proclaimed that INFRA-MAN was "the best superhero movie ever!" And this was after Richard Donner's SUPERMAN had come out. I remember liking INFRA-MAN a lot at the time also. Maybe it was easier to impress us then.

It was at that festival that most of us got to see GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS for the first time on the big screen. And it was the first time we'd seen it since before a certain comedian had become famous, particularly that year, so when Raymond Burr introduced himself as "Steve Martin," the crowd went nuts.

In any events, the points made here in the two preceding posts about superheroes having to wait for special effects technology to catch up before justice could be done to them are well taken.
Old 06-03-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 701 Likes on 432 Posts

I'm as much a superhero/comics nerd as the next... superhero/comics nerd, and as much as I want to see DOFP I'm more than content with waiting for the Blu-Ray. The disappointment of Godzilla kind of sapped any will I had to drag my ass to the theater.

By the looks of things I'm pretty much avoiding the box office altogether this summer, although GoTG might change my mind.
Old 06-03-14, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

People were talking about superhero fatigue a decade ago when the second tier movies like Daredevil and crap like Catwoman or Elektra were being made, and it seems like it popped up again when the end of the Phase 1 Marvel movies were being released. While the drop for X-Men was larger then expected, I don't think general audiences are tiring at all given the huge openings of both movies.

I'll tire when the movies actually stop being interesting and entertaining, but with two of the highest rated comic book movies out this year in Winter Soldier and Days of Future Past featuring interesting storylines, I don't think i'll be bored anytime soon.