Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,752 Likes on 1,895 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Yeah, but Anakin's future only happened because of the vision.

It's like you have a vision that you're going to be killed, and then do something that leads to your death because of the vision. It's like the grandfather paradox without time travel.
Old 12-12-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by mcnabb

Not sure if you knew that Lucas changed the turn scene after he filmed it the first time and didn't like it (This is the reason the movie just falls apart and makes no sense to most fans). He talks about in the ROTS DVD commentary. Originally, he had Anakin turn right when Palpatine tells him he is the Sith, and the motivation is more about being pissed off about the Jedi order as it had nothing to do with Padme's supposed death. Then Mace and Co would come in to confront Palpatine with Anakin by his side, and then they would duel and all hell would break out. So Lucas filmed the whole 2nd half of the movie in that context, as Anakin goes right to the Jedi Temple and kills everyone, and then on Mustafar he tells Padme they can rule the galaxy, and Obiwan that its his Empire. The original turn was all about Power, and ruling the Galaxy.

Lucas didn't like that so he reshot the whole turn scene in a different context of Anakin now doing it to save Padme from dying in Childbirth. So he then tells Mace after Palpatine tells him he is the sith, and THEN Mace confronts Palpatine while Anakin stays back. Anakin then turns after he slices Mace's hand, because Palpatine promises him he will save Padme.

The problem is Lucas never reshot the 2nd half of the movie in that context and that is why it makes no sense when Anakin goes to the Temple and kills all of the Jedi. Originally, he was doing it because he was on a power trip and fed up with the Jedi, but now he goes there and kill them all because he wants to save Padme? And the ending on Mustafar makes no sense, because all he is talking about is ruling the galaxy and saving Padme is an afterthought.

ROTS is an utter mess, and makes no sense and that is because Lucas got lazy mish-mashed two different turn scenes in the movie, and didn't take time to re-edit the rest of the movie.
Interesting. I never knew that. Thanks for sharing. It does make more sense why that ending seems to come out of nowhere.
Old 12-12-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The prequels needed a full Vader movie, and no little boy anakin. So start off with Clones, then Sith and a 3rd with Vader hunting down the remaining jedi in hiding.

Can Disney just remake these now?
Old 12-12-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Dane Cook LOVED IT!! So, I guess that means I will hate it (I hate Dane Cook with the fire of a thousand suns, so thus my logic )

I am really trying to temper my expectations, but it just seems like it will be so darn good, and different from all the Star Wars we've had before.
Old 12-13-16, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Dane Cook LOVED IT!! So, I guess that means I will hate it (I hate Dane Cook with the fire of a thousand suns, so thus my logic )

I am really trying to temper my expectations, but it just seems like it will be so darn good, and different from all the Star Wars we've had before.
yeah, I saw that and dislike Cook as much as you. Hopefully that doesn't mean anything.

I don't know about it looking different (unless by different you mean actually fresh and good for a change). To me it looks like it's continuing the trajectory that was in place with Empire but blown with ROTJ (and since continued on that downward spiral).
SW was a gritty space opera. It dropped you into this worn, lived in universe and didn't feel a need to spoon feed you exposition constantly or treat you like an infant to get you up to speed. It was there in small doses, but you mostly had to infer what was what by the context and events. That's why I bristle when fans started to classify these as kids films (yet another regretable outcome of RotJ). The original film challenged the audience to keep up.

Empire added deeper characterization and thematic complexity. We now had a mature love triangle for three characters that were all well liked- someone was going to have to get their heart broke here. As well as themes of identity and heritage and betrayal. It was a follow up that was maturing the material nicely.

The capper to all this demanded to be a honest to God war story- with HUGE stakes, sacrifices, Sophie's Choices and bittersweet resolutions.

Rogue One looks to be- at least tonally and creatively- the kind of chapter that ROTJ should have been.

I've been down on SW for the last 33 years- and this is the first one since then that can honestly disappoint me. Because what I'm expecting in Edwards is an attempt at atonement for a series that seriously flew off the rails more than three decades ago. In all these threads in all these years, I've never been able to get that across. I'm hoping that when people finally see an example of what I've been talking about, done right, they'll understand just how short-changed they've been with this material since (and including) 1983.
Old 12-13-16, 07:28 AM

By different I mean it doesn't appear it will follow the typical heroes journey template like the previous films did. I'm going to try my best to avoid the reviews as the embargo is lifted today. I've got to make it to 8pm Friday!
Old 12-13-16, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

They're saying that Donnie Yen steals the show with his badassery.
Old 12-13-16, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice...
Old 12-13-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Review embargo is down. I think we can create the review thread now. I'd do it but i'm not savvy enough.
Old 12-13-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

It was created 2 days ago.
Old 12-13-16, 02:02 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Dane Cook is a film critic now? Why should his opinion dissuade anyone? Is Rogue One a stand-up comedy movie too?
Old 12-13-16, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Brack
Dane Cook is a film critic now? Why should his opinion dissuade anyone? Is Rogue One a stand-up comedy movie too?

I just hate him so much that a little part of me will die inside knowing we might like the same thing.
Old 12-14-16, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
The prequels needed a full Vader movie, and no little boy anakin. So start off with Clones, then Sith and a 3rd with Vader hunting down the remaining jedi in hiding.

Can Disney just remake these now?
I always say that Lucas and his inclusion of his young children are why the prequels are the mess they are. He tested Jar-Jar on 5-9 year olds and they loved him, so he stayed; he wanted a young Anakin for his kids to relate to, etc. Lucas was all about recurring themes and Luke mirroring his father's training in the original trilogy and I believe the original intent was to have Anakin found when he was 18/19 like Luke, there is even a conversation where Yoda and Obi talk about the last time they trained someone so old in ESB. This would have been a much better move and cut out a lot of what was bad about Menace and we would have avoided Jake Loyd and Hayden, and the romance between Padme and Anakin would not be so awkward. You could have actually fleshed out Anakin's fall a lot better and have it make since instead of the whiny 2 second conflict of "I don't wanna be a sith! - Do it - Ok I'll be a sith" we get in RotS.
Old 12-15-16, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Definitely time to be careful online - no reading comments (that got me with TFA), going to SW Reddit, etc Looks like there are plenty of leaks out there.
Old 12-15-16, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
Lucas was all about recurring themes and Luke mirroring his father's training in the original trilogy and I believe the original intent was to have Anakin found when he was 18/19 like Luke, there is even a conversation where Yoda and Obi talk about the last time they trained someone so old in ESB.
I really dislike Lucas's "it rhymes" video clip, and how everything matches too neatly with the prequels and the OT. For example, how Anakin loses his hand in the second film. Why does he have to lose a hand just like Luke? Luke losing a hand serves many purposes. It shows how ruthless Vader, his own father is, that he'd destroy his own son if he wouldn't turn to the dark side. It showed that Luke WASN'T ready to face Vader. And it paid off in ROTJ when he's about to kill Vader and he sees how he's becoming just like him, full of anger AND slowly becoming machine, essentially losing his humanity.

In AOTC it only shows that Anakin is impulsive but that's it. He doesn't even scream out in pain. He just passes out and that's it. But that's not enough, Lucas also had to mimic the same environment from TESB, complete with mood lighting and fog machines.

BUT having it mirror in the aspect you mentioned would have been great.
Anakin joins a young Obi-Wan willingly.
Luke is hesitant to join Obi-wan.

Anakin is an experienced Jedi but turns to the dark side.
Luke isn an inexperienced apprentice but rejects the dark side.

Last edited by brayzie; 12-15-16 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-15-16, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

Here's hoping after this that folks seek out Donnie Yen's work. Don't get me wrong, he has done piles of shit, but there are some gold nuggets in there to watch.
Old 12-15-16, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Here's hoping after this that folks seek out Donnie Yen's work. Don't get me wrong, he has done piles of shit, but there are some gold nuggets in there to watch.
Which reminds me, I'm STILL waiting for a complete, uncut version of this TV-series:

The one on the left (Released later) did an acceptable job of condensing about 5 hours down to 3. The one on the right did a terrible job of breaking down about 5 hours into 2. This was shot on video (Since it was made for TV) but the action,writing and acting is pure HK cinema. Someday I hope to finally see this as it was originally seen.
Old 12-16-16, 07:51 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Rogue One (12/16/16, D: Gareth Edwards) S: Felicity Jones

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Comment about the above list of potential spoilers:

Spoiler:
The rebel plans were TRANSMITTED to the Tantive IV, not delivered. Vader asks Leia, "Where are those transmissions you intercepted?" So hopefully the writers on this one are smart enough not to have yet ANOTHER line of Original Trilogy dialogue not make sense. I'm still ticked off about Leia remembering her mother.
After seeing the movie (and if I understood correctly):

Spoiler:
The plans are transmitted to a big Mon Calamari ship and then a hard copy is handed over to the Tantive IV (which is docked there for some reason) once Vader shows up. Vader sees all this happen. Didn't appear any transmission was "beamed" directly to the Tantive IV... so his line in A New Hope doesn't quite line up with what we see happen in Rogue One. Dramatic license, I guess?

And in that regard, it made zero sense for Leia to be on a ship in the thick of battle. She's friggin' royalty. Bail wanted her to track down Obi-Wan, but did she need to be on the battlefront to get that message? Why not just show her ship en route to Tatooine from Alderaan and have the Rebel fleet re-route the transmission to her once they got boarded?

Last edited by joe_b; 12-16-16 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-18-17, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

Added to Netflix today.
Old 07-18-17, 02:19 PM

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Really?! Wow, a new age for Star Wars movies. That's an effect of Disney I can get behind.
Old 07-18-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ Sweet!
Old 07-19-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice! can watch the vader scene over and over again!
Old 07-19-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,133 Posts

On Netlfix? Nice
Old 04-05-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

APRIL 05, 2018 9:49am PT by Aaron Couch
Tony Gilroy on 'Rogue One' Reshoots: They Were in "Terrible Trouble"

The screenwriter, who salvaged the 'Star Wars' project, says the situation was so dire, "all you could do was improve their position."

Tony Gilroy is getting candid for the first time about his emergency trip to the Star Wars galaxy.

In June 2016, Lucasfilm hired the Oscar-nominated writer to rework Rogue One: A Star Wars Story after the studio was unsatisfied by the state of director Gareth Edwards' movie. By August, he was taking a leading role in postproduction and oversaw reshoots to fix a few issues, including the film's ending. Gilroy ultimately was paid millions for his work, and many consider him the film's ghost director.

Gilroy had not spoken publicly about Rogue One until Monday's appearance on The Moment With Brian Koppelman podcast, where he noted that he immediately saw ways to improve the movie when he came on the scene in London.

"If you look at Rogue, all the difficulty with Rogue, all the confusion of it … and all the mess, and in the end when you get in there, it's actually very, very simple to solve," Gilroy said of the film. "Because you sort of go, 'This is a movie where, folks, just look. Everyone is going to die.' So it's a movie about sacrifice."

He saw the opportunity to explore why the film's characters — played by stars Felicity Jones, Diego Luna and Donnie Yen — would ultimately sacrifice themselves at the end of the film in order to allow the Rebels to gain the plans to the Death Star.

Choosing his words carefully, Gilroy signaled how much of the project was changed after he boarded. (Star Ben Mendelsohn has said "an enormously different" version of the film exists.)

"I came in after the director's cut. I have a screenplay credit in the arbitration that was easily won," said Gilroy.

Unlike lifelong fans like Star Wars: The Last Jedi's Rian Johnson, Gilroy was not a fan of the franchise before boarding and therefore had no trepidation about potentially messing it up.

"I've never been interested in Star Wars, ever. So I had no reverence for it whatsoever. I was unafraid about that," said Gilroy. "And they were in such a swamp … they were in so much terrible, terrible trouble that all you could do was improve their position."

Rogue One debuted to strong reviews (85 percent on Rotten Tomatoes) and earned more than $1 billion at the global box office, but Gilroy doesn't have plans to return to a galaxy far, far away.

"It doesn't appeal to me," he said of making another Star Wars film. "But I don't think Rogue really is a Star Wars movie in many ways. To me, it's a Battle of Britain movie."

Listen to the full podcast of The Moment With Brian Koppelman here. His remarks on Rogue One begin just before the 46:00 mark.
Old 04-05-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was just about to post that. Crazy. This one's in between the prequels and the OT and ST for me. Saw it once, haven't had the need to since.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.