Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Anyone know if they addressed the reshoot controversy at Celebration?
Not during the panel... and they didn't take any questions from the audience, just like the TFA presentation last year.

While live streaming the panel, it didn't seem like the audience was overly hyped by what was shown. Perhaps it was just the acoustics of the venue, but the cheering didn't seem to reach the rock concert level of rowdiness we heard last year. Christie was doing her best to pump the audience up, but her enthusiasm was at 11 while the crowd seemed to be hovering around a 7.

The trailer they showed to the audience at the end has already leaked (and been taken down), but it only runs a minute. I guess it's a condescend version of the full trailer or another teaser made just for Celebration. Nothing earth shattering was shown, just a small tease of Vader at the end. The biggest surprise of the panel was when Wen Jiang seemed to accidentally mention another character's death before quickly getting cut off by Gwendoline.
Old 07-15-16, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Love that piano music. Sure that was Desplat. It should be a great soundtrack.
Old 07-15-16, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Prequel actor spotted in sizzle reel?

Spoiler:

That sure looks like Jimmy Smits partially obscured by the camera.

Old 07-15-16, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,760 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I'm assuming that the ABC special, "Secrets of the Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey" that was on tonight was just a edited-down version of the extra on the blu-ray? Some part of it I distinctly remember seeing, like Harrison Ford talking about the broken switches they used in the original Falcon.

I missed parts of it because the asshole weatherman from my local ABC affiliate kept breaking in to show pictures of clouds. Nothing severe going on here, but we have some pictures of clouds taken by our viewers we thought you might like to see for the next five minutes.
Old 07-16-16, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joe_b

Spoiler:

Ha, that's cool!
Old 07-16-16, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,223 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b

Spoiler:

Unnecessary. I think we can all agree that George Lucas did a masterful job of connecting the prequel trilogy to the original trilogy in the last 4 minutes of Episode III.
Old 07-16-16, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

If it makes story sense and isn't crammed in just to cram it in, I'm fine with it. It still cracks me up that they used the actress who played Mon Mothma in a deleted scene from III, though.
Old 07-16-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Unnecessary. I think we can all agree that George Lucas did a masterful job of connecting the prequel trilogy to the original trilogy in the last 4 minutes of Episode III.
He's a leader of the rebellion, and his daughter is the one who picks up the Death Star plans. It makes sense that he'd have some role in planning the secret mission. The question then becomes, do they have somebody play the young Leia so he can tell her, "Once you receive the plans, go to Tatooine and find Obi-Wan Kenobi. He's our only hope"?

Also, will his final line be, "Welp, I've got to get back to Alderaan"?
Old 07-16-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This might be considered blasphemous, but I've always thought it might have been kind of cool to shoot some new scenes for the ANH Special Edition that took place on Alderaan with Jimmy Smits. A scene where Ed Harris has to inform Bail Organa that his daughter has been captured. Another scene with Bail Organa is watching as the Death Star appeared in their system.
Old 07-16-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts

It's not Jimmy Smits. It's more likely Jonathan Aris or just an extra.
Old 07-18-16, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,663 Likes on 2,631 Posts

I'm assuming that the ABC special, "Secrets of the Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey" that was on tonight was just a edited-down version of the extra on the blu-ray? Some part of it I distinctly remember seeing, like Harrison Ford talking about the broken switches they used in the original Falcon.

I missed parts of it because the asshole weatherman from my local ABC affiliate kept breaking in to show pictures of clouds. Nothing severe going on here, but we have some pictures of clouds taken by our viewers we thought you might like to see for the next five minutes.

Yup, I watched the special today and it's a heavily edited down version of the documentary from The Force Awakens Blu-Ray.

If you own the BD and watched the documentary already, there's no need to watch the ABC special.

They did show some new behind the scenes material from Rogue One, but that's not really mandatory viewing.
Old 07-18-16, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

This might be considered blasphemous, but I've always thought it might have been kind of cool to shoot some new scenes for the ANH Special Edition that took place on Alderaan with Jimmy Smits. A scene where Ed Harris has to inform Bail Organa that his daughter has been captured. Another scene with Bail Organa is watching as the Death Star appeared in their system.
I remember there was a rumor that they shot a scene with Smits where he is shown on Alderaan as it is being blown up that would be inserted into the Star Wars DVD. Personally, I'm glad it was not inserted.
Old 08-02-16, 02:04 PM

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Old 08-02-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can somebody get Forest a throat lozenge?
Old 08-02-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Daisy Ridley posted her workout video.

Why hasn't Felicity Jones posted her workout video?
Old 08-05-16, 08:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It's not Jimmy Smits. It's more likely Jonathan Aris or just an extra.
Then Jimmy Smits is lying.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/st...eo-1201831711/

‘Star Wars’ Alum Confirms Cameo in ‘Rogue One’

A certain “Star Wars” alum has revealed he will be appearing in “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.”

Jimmy Smits, who played Bail Organa in “Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith,” confirmed on The Talk that he will show up in “Rogue One.”

“Can you say the word cameo?” he said laughing. “Can you say the words small part?”

Star Wars fans will know that Bail Organa was the adoptive father to Princess Leia. He also bit the dust in “A New Hope” after the Death Star blows up the planet Alderaan. However, since “Rogue One” takes place before “A New Hope,” Smits’ character has yet to meet his end and is presumably working with the rest of the growing Rebel Alliance.

This won’t be the first time that Smits has returned to his Star Wars role. He offered his voice to the “Star Wars: The Force Unleashed” video game back in 2008.

Bail Organa isn’t the only classic Star Wars character showing up in “Rogue One.” It was confirmed earlier this year that the big man himself, Darth Vader, would be making an appearance.

Old 08-05-16, 08:22 PM

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Love Smits. Glad they're using him.
Old 08-06-16, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it would be funny if Disney threw a huge monkey wrench into SW lore by saying Bail wasn't on Alderaan. It has always just been assumed he was there when the Death Star blew it up. Have his Rogue one scene and then Mon Mothma tells him to go to Naboo for some meeting meaning he lives.

I'd at least enjoy reading threads of people freaking out that something they though they knew turned out to be false.
Old 08-06-16, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

...Bail Organa became Snoke.
Old 08-06-16, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
I think it would be funny if Disney threw a huge monkey wrench into SW lore by saying Bail wasn't on Alderaan. It has always just been assumed he was there when the Death Star blew it up. Have his Rogue one scene and then Mon Mothma tells him to go to Naboo for some meeting meaning he lives.

I'd at least enjoy reading threads of people freaking out that something they though they knew turned out to be false.

That wouldn't serve much purpose narratively, though, except to have a twist for twist's sake. Having Leia watch as the only two people she knew as her parents get blown up makes it much more personal and impactful. It shows how strong she is, and how she realizes she is part of something larger than herself.
Old 08-06-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
...Bail Organa became Snoke.
Old 08-07-16, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, Snoke is Darth Plagueis' spirit inhabiting a body cloned from Luke Skywalker's severed hand.

And Bail Organa did survive the destruction of Alderaan, but he's been held prisoner by Grand Admiral Thrawn since ANH.
Old 08-07-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,247 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats

You know the old movie adage: no body means no death.
Old 08-07-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New trailer coming Aug 11....

Wonder how much of it iwll have the recent reshoots.

The director said reshhots were always part of the plan. And they finished them a while back.
Old 08-07-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,247 Likes on 858 Posts

Saw the new trailer during Olympic coverage today ... Meh. Not sure why the reshooting needed to include Michael Phelps on a water planet. On the plus side, Ginny Thrasher has been added and will possibly be teaching Stormtrooper recruits how to shoot (although that will require some more revisionist history for the OT).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.