Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-16, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

What's really going on with the reshoots...

After reaching out to deeply placed sources on the movie and at Lucasfilm to sort fact from fiction, Entertainment Weekly has learned new details about the state of the project – including who’s working on the new sequences and what those scenes involve.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03/rogue-one-reshoots
Old 06-04-16, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
What's really going on with the reshoots...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03/rogue-one-reshoots

Basically, the initial reports were an overreaction or outright lies.
Old 06-04-16, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Would 'deeply placed sources' at Lucasfilm admit to a clusterfuck behind the scenes?
Old 06-04-16, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Would 'deeply placed sources' at Lucasfilm admit to a clusterfuck behind the scenes?
Yeah, I don't know what to think.

Reshoots, in and of themselves, don't mean anything. Happens all the time.

The reports coming out are a somewhat alarming, but they're all from anonymous sources, and they could just people making shit up. But, then again, nobody working on the movie is going to come right out and put their name onto their complaint if they want to work in Hollywood again. If there is a problem, or if Disney corporate is watering down the movie, nobody is going to admit it.

And I don't trust EW to give anything but the corporate line, and tell us that everything is fine.
Old 06-04-16, 12:33 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Why are you all being sexist? You're only wanting to doubt these positive reports because you hate the film because you have a penis. Oh and by the way, the original Star Wars wasn't very good. The creatures in the Cantina look like rubber masks and you can see matte lines everywhere.

Oh sorry guys. I thought this was the Ghostbusters thread.
Old 06-04-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I tend to believe the EW article. Like mentioned if that much of the film was being reshot there's no way it would be out by December and we likely would be hearing of the release date getting pushed back.
Old 06-04-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

They might if they aren't being named.
Old 06-04-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I tend to believe the EW article. Like mentioned if that much of the film was being reshot there's no way it would be out by December and we likely would be hearing of the release date getting pushed back.
Maybe the reshoots aren't VFX shots, but just character moments of actors doing comedic relief and dialogue scenes with a lighter mood. Either way, we are all leaning toward one truth or the other, while pointing at the latest anonymous source as 'proof.' There's no way to know for sure, Hollywood is good at controlling information. Even if there are no major issues behind the scenes, I'm sure Disney saw the rumors, and had somebody internal give EW a 'scoop' to 'set the record straight.' They can't just let the speculation get out of control.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
They might if they aren't being named.
I feel like anybody with a significant position in Lucasfilms would find it in their best interest that Rogue One be a huge success. It's not good for audiences to think this movie is going down the path of Fantastic Four.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 06-04-16 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-04-16, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I'm sure that Disney doesn't want to let speculation get out of control but I thought it was odd that they'd really be doing reshoots on almost half the film to begin with.
Old 06-04-16, 06:55 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

yeah, 40% reshoots means someone REALLY fell sleep behind the wheel. Highly doubtful. The Mouse is a well oiled machine.
Old 06-05-16, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I havent clicked on any of the links, but I'm assuming that there's pressure on how to sell a Star Wars movie to audiences that doesn't contain ONE lightsaber duel.
Old 06-05-16, 12:37 PM
Banned

It's going to have Darth Vader so there might be some lightsabering.
Old 06-05-16, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a lot more to a Star Wars film than just lightsaber duels. I think that's not giving casuals enough credit that that's all they'd want to see. There will still be elements of familiarity in the film (Vader, Troopers, Imperial vehicles like AT-AT's, etc.) just the story will be told from a different perspective than we're used to. The bigger issue is making sure the characters are strong enough that people will want to root for since most of the film will be made up of new characters or characters who aren't as developed.
Old 06-05-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But there's never been a Star Wars film without one. I wager most of the animated spinoffs feature frequent lightsaber duels. I mean it's be like a Samurai film without a sword fight. Most viewers would rather see more Seven Samurai, and less Hara Kiri.
Old 06-05-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I don't think it should be that hard of a sell to not have a lightsaber duel. Sure the films to date have all had one but again it's not all Star Wars is. The film being branded with the Star Wars name will be enough of a sell for most people to see it and as long as the story and characters are strong I think you'll find that people will be willing to look past there not being a lightsaber duel.
Old 06-05-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it's a selling issue, people are going to see the new Star Wars no matter what. However, lightsaber duels are a staple of the series, I don't even think it would occur to many viewers that there might not be lightsaber action in this one. It's just expected, and I guarantee people would complain if there weren't any. Look at all of the silly reasons people found to bitch about TFA.
Old 06-05-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well let's be honest most of the people who complained about The Force Awakens weren't casual fans but more fanboys with whatever axe they found to grind with the film. Some of those types are just people who are never happy with anything just because it's not their perfect version or what they grew up with or whatever bullshit reason. Not that the film was entirely perfect but a lot of the so called flaws are some of the finest examples of nitpicking I've seen on the Internet from fans who supposedly wanted something in line with the Original Trilogy.

I think most of the casual audience will accept that there's not a lightsaber duel as long as the film is good. There likely will be a group of fanboys who won't like it because there's not one and that makes it not their Star Wars or whatever.
Old 06-05-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lightsabers are probably the most iconic thing about Star Wars that sets it apart from other sci-fi stories. I don't think it'll be the fanboys that complain as much as the casual fans who are confused about why Rey and Finn aren't in the new Star Wars. The fanboys understand the concept of this prequel, but casual fans will struggle with the first spin-off and why it isn't more similar to the other movies.
Old 06-05-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vader is in it so he could ignite his saber at some point.

With these spin-off movies jumping around in the timeline, the title crawl will be extra important to let film goers know where this film takes place. Have it say something like "Weeks before Princess Leia hid the plans for the Death Star in Artoo Deetoo, which led to Luke Skywalker joining the Rebellion..." . Unless people have forgotten Ep4, this will tell them that it takes place right before it.
Old 06-05-16, 03:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I would love to see a scene of Vader killing one or two Jedi... maybe having his first scene in the movie a sharp cut to him already in the middle of battle on some alien planet, dispatches them easily and walks up the ramp of a transport ship. nerdgasm.
Old 06-05-16, 07:08 PM
Banned

Lightsabers are probably the most iconic thing about Star Wars that sets it apart from other sci-fi stories. I don't think it'll be the fanboys that complain as much as the casual fans who are confused about why Rey and Finn aren't in the new Star Wars. The fanboys understand the concept of this prequel, but casual fans will struggle with the first spin-off and why it isn't more similar to the other movies.
You are coming from a perspective that you know there will be no lightsaber fight. What makes you so sure?
Old 06-05-16, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
You are coming from a perspective that you know there will be no lightsaber fight. What makes you so sure?
I'm not sure, we're just speculating on how audiences might react if there isn't one.
Old 06-05-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They've said before there isn't any good Jedi in this film. I'm totally fine with a 'NO FORCE' SW film. After the books and Prequel films, I'm sick of the Force. I'd much rather see characters with actual skills then ones that rely on space magic. Bunch of cheaters.
Old 06-05-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I'm a bit surprised that people are viewing Star Wars so narrowly personally. I mean the Force and lightsabers and of course the Jedi are a big part but even as a kid that wasn't all that drew me in. I was a fan of the various ships/battles, creatures, locations, etc. I wouldn't think I'm alone in that.
Old 06-06-16, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The bottom line is people will complain if it doesn't feel 'enough like the OT' and people will complain if it feels 'too much like the OT' so Disney just needs to pick a side and go with what they think will work.

If Disney thinks Rogue One will make as much money as Episode 7,8,9, then they are misreading the market. I saw TFA 4 times in the theater, but I will probably see Rogue One once, maybe twice if its really good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.