Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do some people think that remakes are better simply because they are new?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-14, 06:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

While reading reviews for movies that are remakes or reboots, one thing I have noticed is that people that really like the new version often say it is "better" simply because the original was released when they were a small child, or possibly before they were born, and because the new version is newer that automatically makes it "more serious and better" than the original. Why do some people seem to think that just because a movie is newer that it is automatically better than the original?
Old 05-06-14, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: Why do some people think that remakes are better simply because they are new?

I've never heard any one say that...ever.
Old 05-06-14, 06:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Why do some people think that remakes are better simply because they are new?

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Me neither. Usually, it's just the opposite...people automatically dismiss remakes. Indeed, some remakes are better than the original, but that's generally seen as the exception.
Old 05-06-14, 06:34 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cause they are, I mean the new Evil Dead and RoboCop are way better than the originals.
Old 05-06-14, 06:40 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry for being unclear. What I meant was that some people have stated that because the original movie came out when they were young, that automatically, in their mind, made the original movie "silly" or "childish" which meant that the remake/reboot was "more mature," "serious" and "better" by default.
Old 05-06-14, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope, never heard that either. Maybe you are hanging out with the wrong people.
Old 05-06-14, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
Sorry for being unclear. What I meant was that some people have stated that because the original movie came out when they were young, that automatically, in their mind, made the original movie "silly" or "childish" which meant that the remake/reboot was "more mature," "serious" and "better" by default.
"Some people." How very specific of you.

Answer: you'll have to ask them.
Old 05-06-14, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Me neither. Usually, it's just the opposite...people automatically dismiss remakes. Indeed, some remakes are better than the original, but that's generally seen as the exception.
This. Most people tend to have nostalgia for their childhood and therefore tend to think things from their chidlhood are better than newer things.
Old 05-06-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Cause they are, I mean the new Evil Dead and RoboCop are way better than the originals.
I agree and I will also add that the remakes of Diabolique & The Vanishing make the originals look like incompetent shit.

Spoiler:
Old 05-06-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
So PenguinJoe made this comment and was immediately suspended?
Old 05-06-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
So PenguinJoe made this comment and was immediately suspended?
Damn
Old 05-06-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

He had it coming. Or maybe I should bump a completely unrelated thread from 2002 to emphasize how much so.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 05-07-14 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
anyone who says that will probably be either under 15 or see clips of the original on youtube or cable & say 'that looks so bad, new technology!'
Old 05-07-14, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

The last time a remake was better than the original was probably in the 1980's. Back when remakes weren't such an out and out cash grab. It used to be that remakes were only made when the filmmakers had something fresh or original to put on screen. Such is no longer the case. Nowadays remakes are purposely more like the original, because its blatantly about branding and not filmmaking.
Old 05-07-14, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I think sometimes remakes suffer from the idea that most people think the original is better by default.

But if there is a reason a newer film would win out, I'm thinking it's either technological advancements or the cast.

Example: Ocean's 11. I don't think either version is vastly superior to the other, so it really comes down to would you rather watch: Clooney and Pitt, or the rat pack? I'd put The Italian Job in this category as well, as they remade a film for a modern audience.

Or how about something like King Kong, shot in Black & White, Full Frame, with stop motion animation as opposed to Peter Jackson's fully color, widescreen CGI remake? Sure, the original is superior in it's pace, and gets the job done with amazing effects for 1933, I could see a modern audience enjoying Jackson's epic a bit more.
Old 05-07-14, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a feeling I know which "some people" the OP has in mind. And a recent movie reboot, that perhaps rhymes with "Shman of Shmeel"?
Old 05-07-14, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I have a feeling I know which "some people" the OP has in mind. And a recent movie reboot, that perhaps rhymes with "Shman of Shmeel"?
SHMAN OF SHMEEL? Best Shmuperman movie ever! Almost as good as the Shmiderman movies.
Old 05-07-14, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

While reading reviews for movies that are remakes or reboots, one thing I have noticed is that people that really like the new version often say it is "better" simply because the original was released when they were a small child, or possibly before they were born, and because the new version is newer that automatically makes it "more serious and better" than the original. Why do some people seem to think that just because a movie is newer that it is automatically better than the original?
Stay off IMDB.
Old 05-07-14, 07:34 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

The only remake which automatically comes to my mind that I would consider to be better than the original is (John Carpenter's) The Thing. Most remakes IMHO are pale imitations of the original film. I can't see but a very small percentage of the people aged 21 & over thinking otherwise. Kiddies might, but that's only because most of the time they have no idea the original even existed and would probably laugh at the antiquated effects.

Now, if you changed the word "people" in your thread topic title to "kids", I might agree with you.
Old 05-07-14, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Serious answer is that people often look at older films as dated (style, effects, quality of the picture, etc.) and see new shinier looking films as preferable.
Old 05-07-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
The only remake which automatically comes to my mind that I would consider to be better than the original is (John Carpenter's) The Thing.
On a serious note :

To me these films (along with The Thing) stand strong on their own because they only use the basic premise of the originals.
The filmmakers added some fresh ideas to it instead of just retelling the same old story.

David Cronenberg's The Fly
Philip Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Werner Herzog's Nosferatu
William Friedkin's Sorcerer
Old 05-07-14, 08:55 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
yeah I agree with that! But it kind of depends on how the old version was...if you try to make a remake of a movie that has become legendary...you'll propably mess up
Old 05-07-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

You could counter this question with the opposite. Why do some people immediately assume that a remake will be terrible? Granted there are some movies that are deemed somewhat "untouchable" and shouldn't be remade but there have been quite a few that I've enjoyed more than or on close to the same level as the original film. Robocop actually comes to mind for me recently. The new film actually wasn't that bad and can stand on it's own and in my mind actually expanded on some things I always wished the original film would have touched on. Not to say it's a better film than the original, but it is one that I think once more people give it a shot will realize that it's really not so terrible.
Old 05-07-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think I've seen that?

Still Haven't seen it, where you are reading this?
Old 05-07-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Older is always better, in all situations.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.