Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 - (11/21/2018)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 - (11/21/2018)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-18, 06:43 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 - (11/21/2018)

We watched this movie today, and liked it. I enjoyed the interaction with the Disney characters. Very clever dialogue. I don’t care for the breaking the internet part, but enjoyed the movie overall.
Old 11-25-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm going out on a limb and saying Wreck-It Ralph 2 is a better movie than Incredibles 2. There's more cleverness and originality in WIR2 than the formulaic I2 could muster. I never thought I'd place a Disney CGI movie over a Pixar CGI movie, but I'm throwing down the gauntlet.
Old 11-25-18, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by printerati
I caught a showing last night, and didn't care for the direction they took things. Both lead characters have been softened quite a bit, the supporting characters from the first film are barely shown and given almost nothing to do, and the new cast of supporting characters is largely forgettable and also not given much to do. I was thankful that (unlike the teasers) "the internet" focused primarily on established sites and behaviors, although the Disney ass-kissing was a bit much and felt out of place (the musical number in particular).

I probably need to see it again, and will no doubt be subjected to it more than once by my kid when it's available to stream, but it felt like a cash grab and a big step down from the charming first film.

EDITED TO ADD: There is also a post credits sneak preview, which I will not spoil.
I've got to second this. It felt like they threw away everything from the first movie and all of the new characters are disposable.

I still enjoyed it, but while I considered the first an A, this movie is a C.
Old 11-25-18, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Caught it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. I think it was on par with the first movie for me; the internet stuff really worked for me. Everything as far as why they're there, how they portray the different websites including how people interact with them via little avatars, and the Disney references were all fantastic. I liked the idea of the virus better then the execution of it at the end though, which was the only weak point for me. The friendship stuff was a great theme between the two characters as well.

Originally Posted by PatD
I'm going out on a limb and saying Wreck-It Ralph 2 is a better movie than Incredibles 2. There's more cleverness and originality in WIR2 than the formulaic I2 could muster. I never thought I'd place a Disney CGI movie over a Pixar CGI movie, but I'm throwing down the gauntlet.
That's not much of a gauntlet, Disney has been doing an excellent job with their movies and I find a lot of their recent output as good if not better then a very inconsistent Pixar over the last 6 or 7 years. Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Moana, Zootopia, or Big Hero 6 are all better to me then stuff like Monsters University, The Good Dinosaur, or Finding Dory.
Old 11-26-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

I'll agree with some of the earliest opinions in this thread that I wish they stuck to the video game universes for a bit longer. I mean, Death Race and the constantly updating new games would have been enough of a plot without all the other stuff thrown in, which honestly bored me. Maybe that attracted the kids?

The one thing that I'm sure did really well for marketing (it certainly did in my household) were the princesses, and I guess you don't get that if you stick only to games.
Old 11-27-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I thought it was good but not as good as the original. I loved the original (my wife and I were even Fix It Felix and Wreck It Ralph for halloween one year).

I liked it better than I liked Incredibles 2.
Old 11-28-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
I caught a showing last night, and didn't care for the direction they took things. Both lead characters have been softened quite a bit, the supporting characters from the first film are barely shown and given almost nothing to do, and the new cast of supporting characters is largely forgettable and also not given much to do. I was thankful that (unlike the teasers) "the internet" focused primarily on established sites and behaviors, although the Disney ass-kissing was a bit much and felt out of place (the musical number in particular).

I probably need to see it again, and will no doubt be subjected to it more than once by my kid when it's available to stream, but it felt like a cash grab and a big step down from the charming first film.

EDITED TO ADD: There is also a post credits sneak preview, which I will not spoil.
I totally agree with this. I was quite disappointed with the movie. And that is after pretty much going in with really low expectations. The biggest thing for me personally is that the ephemeral world of what's popular on the internet right now just don't hold up to the experience of going to an arcade as a child. I thought it was a big mistake to focus on that, story wise anyways. Merchandising wise and promo wise sure it makes total sense to just rake in all the money from all the corporate sponsorship. They did a decent enough job with the themes and worlds but the world of the internet just isn't as interesting as that of the arcade. Plus the emoji movie did it all already.

Originally Posted by keyed
I've got to second this. It felt like they threw away everything from the first movie and all of the new characters are disposable.

I still enjoyed it, but while I considered the first an A, this movie is a C.
Yep. The biggest thing that was missing was heart. I knew I would like the first movie due to all the video game references but what really took me by surprise was the amount of emotion that was in the characters. The moment where Ralph wrecks Vanellope's car or at the end where he sacrifices himself all tug at the heart strings quite genuinely. This movie didn't do any of that. I understand that it might be more of a lightning in a bottle thing with the first movie.

Originally Posted by PatD
They were both pretty disappointing to me. Incredible 2 less so than WiR2 but these were both two big sequels to some of my favorite Disney movies and both put out decent movies but were just pale shadows in comparison to their originals.
Old 11-28-18, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why wasn't there a short in front of the movie?!
Old 11-29-18, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I believe that only Pixar films do the short in front of their movies.
Old 11-29-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I believe that only Pixar films do the short in front of their movies.
Wreck it Ralph 1 had Paperman, Frozen had Get a Horse, Big Hero 6 had Feast, and a big draw of the live action Cinderella movie was that Frozen feature (not the one that was lambasted when it was included with Coco). I think Moana had that weird one with the guy's body.

I didn't see Zootopia in theaters but I don't remember that having one, so they've skipped them before.
Old 11-29-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, Moana had this short Inner Workings.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zQLFcheLO4k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Zootopia apparently didn't from searching online.

But yeah, I was wondering if we would get a short in front of this and disappointed that we didn't.
Old 11-29-18, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also now that I think about it I'm totally sad that they didn't use Mario more in the first one. There weren't any references to Nintendo games likely due to Universal's recent agreement with them. I mean has Sonic even ever been in an arcade game?
Old 11-30-18, 06:14 AM
Cool New Member

I thought the short was the second Toy Story 4 teaser (at the carnival).
Old 11-30-18, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LeFou
I thought the short was the second Toy Story 4 teaser (at the carnival).
Wasn't that just an ad? I guess they also had that mostly non animated short with the director and whoever about making the movie.
Old 11-30-18, 08:12 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Wait, did Wreck it Ralph 2 have a intro where the director and others speak? Like Coco and Incredibles 2?

I really loath those things.
Old 11-30-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I mean has Sonic even ever been in an arcade game?
It was ported into a stand up.
Old 11-30-18, 01:41 PM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

We saw this as a family of four on Saturday morning after Thanksgiving. Between matinee pricing, AMC Stubs rewards, and my A-List membership, we saw it for $13.30 total, even had enough leftover rewards to get a large popcorn for free.

We liked it. Laughed, enjoyed the spectacle, felt empathy. The ending was a little intense but the kids made it through. I actually cried when Ralph read the comments. It made me think of how many people, especially young people, take those to heart and how terrible it is that people think they can treat others like that in any way and it's okay. Ultimately, I want to see it again for Easter Eggs but I got the basic plot and themes and enjoyed them right away. I have the feeling there was a lot cut from the movie, especially flashbacks to the arcade to see Felix trying to cover for Ralph or what it's like trying to raise all those racers. The lack of Nintendo was definitely obvious.

Lots of singing "In This Place" in our house this week.
Old 12-02-18, 06:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

how the hell did this have a $175m production budget?
Old 12-02-18, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
They got this movie done relatively fast, that usually means bringing in an ungodly amount of tech talent on contract. If you had 1000 people working on it for $175,000 a piece ($84/hour). You hit your budget in a year. You can adjust the numbers however, as I don't think a lot of animators make $175k a year even on contract and it took more than a year, but it isn't tough to see how it gets that high with cg on a schedule.

It's chump change to Disney, they need to get it out there to keep the merchandising alive. Hell I haven't seen it yet but already spent $110 on taking family to The Voids Ralph Breaks VR.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-02-18 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-02-18, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
They got this movie done relatively fast, that usually means bringing in an ungodly amount of tech talent on contract. If you had 1000 people working on it for $175,000 a piece ($84/hour). You hit your budget in a year. You can adjust the numbers however, as I don't think a lot of animators make $175k a year even on contract and it took more than a year, but it isn't tough to see how it gets that high with cg on a schedule.

It's chump change to Disney, they need to get it out there to keep the merchandising alive. Hell I haven't seen it yet but already spent $110 on taking family to The Voids Ralph Breaks VR.
How was it!

I've been wanting to go to the Star Wars one for awhile.
Old 12-03-18, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

How was it!

I've been wanting to go to the Star Wars one for awhile.
It didn't quite live up to what I had envisioned in my mind (for The Void) but it was still pretty damn cool (I really had unreasonable expectations). Sort of wish we did the Star Wars one as the Ralph one was a bit chaotic with my 72 year old mom on board, but I'd do it again in a heart beat.

There was one section that was just simply mind boggling to me and still is even though I know how it worked.
Old 12-03-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by OldBoy
3D animated movies are expensive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...animated_films
Old 12-03-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Wreck-It Ralph is my second favorite film of the Disney "New Renaissance" (2009+), after Zootopia.

I didn't have high hopes for Ralph Wrecks The Internet. The trailers were cute but gimmicky but didn't seem to have any of the heart and character moments of the original. They seemed mostly flash and color and noise and little else.

I'm happy to say RWTI, while not as good as WIR, has those character moments I really wanted to see (even to the point where we were almost tearing up. Almost.) It did have the kitsch and pop-culture elemts, but I think it was fairly tastefully done without going too deep into overload.

It wasn't The Emoji Movie.

7 out of 10 for me.
Old 12-03-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I think my only problem with it was the similarities to the peril faced in both WiR and RBtI. It took something to get out of their game to provide a big obstacle. In WiR it was the Cy-Bugs that invade Sugar Rush, in RBtI it was the horde of Ralphs because the virus leaving Slaughter Race.

Other than that, I think I laughed more with this one than WiR. If only because of all the fun it poked at itself and Disney and eBay.
Old 12-03-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Took the family to see this on the weekend, we all enjoyed it. All the cameos were cool to see, and as a big Sarah Silverman fan, I thought she was delightful in this. And "Eboy" cracked me up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.