Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

In The Blood (2014, Stockwell) S: Gina Carano

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

In The Blood (2014, Stockwell) S: Gina Carano

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-14, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts
Re: In The Blood (2014, Stockwell) S: Gina Carano

The director's cut for SP was cool. I hated the PG-13 version, though.
Old 03-02-14, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Adkins was in the Legend of Hercules, so he technically does stuff beyond DTV action flicks
He was one of the swimming pool fighters in Danny the Dog/Unleashed as well, its seems like he gets the chance to be the lead in DTV stuff, but in big-budget stuff, he's regulated to a stunt guy.

Originally Posted by robin2099
I think the biggest problem that Carano has is there isn't really a demand for a female action hero.
Even back in the action genre's heyday, there weren't many. Outside of Michelle Yeoh Choo-Kheng, Cyntha Rothrock, and maybe Sarah Connor or Ripley, maybe Pam Grier back in the 70s. Maybe you could make a case for The Long Kiss Goodnight back in the 90s.

Try and think of the last non Resident Evil movie that starred a bad ass female protagonist(not counting Haywire). You'd probably have to go all the way back to Salt.
Well, of course there's The Hunger Games franchise, or James Cameron's pseudo-feminist characters like Ripley or Sarah Conner. or Beckinsale in the Underworld movies, they did spin a franchise out of that. Or Kill Bill, but that's because of Tarantino. But of course, action movies are for boys and romantic comedies are for girls. There can't be audience crossover, right? Surely, we must gear these movies as squarely at the demographic as possible, otherwise, we might alienate them! They aren't intelligent enough!

As for Adkins, the thing that really holds him back are there just doesn't seem to be a demand for movies like that anymore. The Stallone and Arnold movies have been replaced by superheroes and Transformers. The only person who is somewhat carrying the torch is Statham, and even he hasn't had a hit movie since Transporter 3.
That era is long gone. The Transporter did OK business in theaters, but it was cable and especially video which made it the big cult favorite it became, it was basically a DTV movie with step up production values, and since the video market is dead now, Satham is lucky he hit the sweet spot. On that subject, is the French Blu-Ray trilogy boxed set uncut? Nearly all of those guys, whether they're newcomers like Adkins of mainstays like Van Damme are going direct to video now. The market is gone. And the reason it's probably moved there is that kind of big-budget stuff that's the bread and butter now has so much CG that it's not the kind of thing you can do with a small budget, whereas especially with digital techniques, it's easier to do old-style action flicks DTV. Some aren't too bad. Adkins' Ninja: Shadow of Tear was shot digitally on Red, and it looks OK for a movies of its type, and the action scenes are nice and punchy.
Old 03-02-14, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,681 Likes on 2,648 Posts

I'll rent this when it comes to Redbox or my local video store.

I like Carano's fighting skills from what I've seen of her, but yes her acting is weak.

I personally enjoy watching a lot of straight to video action movies depending on who the lead is and this looks decent.
Old 09-08-15, 06:58 AM

Received 4,625 Likes on 3,132 Posts

I finally got around to watching this. If you like Stockwell's other movie, Turistas, you would probably like the concept behind this.

It was decent. It was not action packed like I would hope for a Carano driven film. A few fights here and there, but the story didn't lend itself to too much over the top action. Her acting was somewhat improved over her other efforts though.
Old 09-08-15, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 291 Likes on 183 Posts

I saw it awhile back. I thought the acting was pretty horrendous and the movie felt every bit the straight to video title that it is...but I was entertained enough to give it 3 stars on Netflix.