Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-22, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

Enjoyed this, especially the 2nd half.

Guess this started filming in March 2021, seems like a pretty quick turn around for a flick like this.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-22-22 at 10:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-22-22)
Old 05-22-22, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

Kinda wonder why this went straight to Disney+ and bypassed a theatrical release. I imagine it would have done fairly well in theaters with all the fun references, a pretty stacked cast, and it seems like it would appeal to a wide audience.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
John Pannozzi (05-22-22), majorjoe23 (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Absolutely loved this film.

I need to go back and re-watch it for any missed cameos.

Spoiler:
I am happy they got the original cast into the film. Ugly Sonic stole the show for me

John Pannozzi (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This cute with a few chuckles and some good writing. Didn’t care for the Ugly Sonic stuff. Thought it was overdone .

Old 05-23-22, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

This was hilarious but I did find the big bad's backstory mirroring the real life voice actor. weird. You know, outside of kids finding him dead in an abandoned alleyway, nobody knowing who he is so buried in a Joe Doe grave until his mother eventually locates him and he is dug up and reburied under his name while the press has a field day with the death of "former Disney Star" part.
John Pannozzi (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 09:18 AM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

*reads post*

Wha...?

*reads Wikipedia*

Eeeeek...
John Pannozzi (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by story
*reads post*

Wha...?

*reads Wikipedia*

Eeeeek...
Just reread
I didn’t get all the facts right but close
Bobby Driscoll had a hard life after Disney
Seems I’m not the only one noticing the similarities from this film

tom russel wrote a great tune about Driscoll called farewell never never land
John Pannozzi (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 11:30 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I thought this was pretty fun. Much better than I was expecting. Ugly Sonic, Spaghetti Dogs, Aunt Man, & Batman vs ET got laughs out of me. And the multiple Seth Rogan characters all geeking out. I watched this cartoon a lot growing up, along with Darkwing Duck & Bonkers. Felt like they got the tone just right.
John Pannozzi (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I was expecting something like the Smurfs or Alvin with the Chipmunks until I watched the trailer yesterday, which made me watch the movie. It was a lot of fun and worked an all levels. Of all the Disney life action "remakes" it's the one I liked the most, because it was original and not only a lifeless version of the animated version.
John Pannozzi (05-23-22)
Old 05-24-22, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

This movie was utter trash. Complete and utter trash. I don't think the writers working on this movie had watched any episodes of the Rescue Rangers. The characters were nothing like their originals. Even the "references" that they made to the show were completely fabricated. There were never Rescue Rangers pogs. Pogs became popular several years after the Rescue Rangers were on the air. Same with Dale's "catch phrase" he never said "I love nuts" or whatever it is they made up. And sure they ended episodes with some corny joke but they didn't always sit around and laugh awkwardly. And OMG I could not get over their voices. Just terrible. Didn't match them at all. But then WTF was up with having the Allstate guy voice Zipper?! And Zipper and Gadget getting together and making mutant mice fly babies. WTF! At least Gadget was spot on for all the 2 mins she was on screen and same with Monterey Jack. WTF was up with Sweet Pete?! Could they have come up with a worse villain? Especially considering what happened to the real life inspiration for Peter Pan? Talk about disrespect.

Yeah okay I might be exaggerating a little bit. But I really did not like this movie. Sure Ugly Sonic was absolutely hilarious. Can't believe they went there and can't believe legal got the greenlight. The whole uncanny valley was also pretty amusing. Same with ET vs. Batman continuing the joke from the Teen Titans movie about Batman getting all sorts of ridiculous movies. The cameos were great too and were the highlight of the whole movie. But when it comes down to it will this movie last 20 years down the road? Even 5 years from now? Ugly Sonic is a REALLY specific cameo with a very short shelf life. And sure I was super stoked to see Blaster in the background and mildly amused that Beevis and Randy showed up in a Disney movie. But really that's the only thing that the movie had going for it. It's the equivalent of Where's Waldo for a very specific age group. And then even the cameos IMO they fell short on. There were a lot of background characters that kind of looked cameos but really weren't, they were just disappointing red herrings. They should have just gone all in and had all the characters be known cameos.

Also I still stand by my assessment of Seth Rogen. Fuck that guy.
Old 06-15-22, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Kinda wonder why this went straight to Disney+ and bypassed a theatrical release. I imagine it would have done fairly well in theaters with all the fun references, a pretty stacked cast, and it seems like it would appeal to a wide audience.
Yeah, I'm wondering about the timeline on this as well. I know way back when this thread was first created this was scheduled to be a regular release, but it seems like the Lonely Island involvement and the Disney Plus announcement came at the same time. But this seemed to have way more thought and care put into it than an average direct to streaming movie release, not to mention all the cameos from non Disney properties.

Originally Posted by tanman
This movie was utter trash. Complete and utter trash. I don't think the writers working on this movie had watched any episodes of the Rescue Rangers. The characters were nothing like their originals. Even the "references" that they made to the show were completely fabricated. There were never Rescue Rangers pogs. Pogs became popular several years after the Rescue Rangers were on the air. Same with Dale's "catch phrase" he never said "I love nuts" or whatever it is they made up. And sure they ended episodes with some corny joke but they didn't always sit around and laugh awkwardly. And OMG I could not get over their voices. Just terrible. Didn't match them at all. But then WTF was up with having the Allstate guy voice Zipper?! And Zipper and Gadget getting together and making mutant mice fly babies. WTF! At least Gadget was spot on for all the 2 mins she was on screen and same with Monterey Jack. WTF was up with Sweet Pete?! Could they have come up with a worse villain? Especially considering what happened to the real life inspiration for Peter Pan? Talk about disrespect.

Yeah okay I might be exaggerating a little bit. But I really did not like this movie. Sure Ugly Sonic was absolutely hilarious. Can't believe they went there and can't believe legal got the greenlight. The whole uncanny valley was also pretty amusing. Same with ET vs. Batman continuing the joke from the Teen Titans movie about Batman getting all sorts of ridiculous movies. The cameos were great too and were the highlight of the whole movie. But when it comes down to it will this movie last 20 years down the road? Even 5 years from now? Ugly Sonic is a REALLY specific cameo with a very short shelf life. And sure I was super stoked to see Blaster in the background and mildly amused that Beevis and Randy showed up in a Disney movie. But really that's the only thing that the movie had going for it. It's the equivalent of Where's Waldo for a very specific age group. And then even the cameos IMO they fell short on. There were a lot of background characters that kind of looked cameos but really weren't, they were just disappointing red herrings. They should have just gone all in and had all the characters be known cameos.

Also I still stand by my assessment of Seth Rogen. Fuck that guy.
You gotta take a step back, man. The premise is that Rescue Rangers the show was just a tv show and Chip and Dale were actors. The awkward laughing part was obviously just poking fun of a staple of those kinds of shows. I have to admit the Gadget/Zipper thing surprised me and I had to just not think about the logistics of it, but I thought it was fine (I also thought it would be some kind of fake Peter Pan in the trailers, I'm really surprised Disney was fine with doing that to their characters... my daughter actually uttered the line that they ruined her childhood jokingly).

If they did a straight up Rescue Rangers sequel I guarantee it wouldn't have been targeted for us anyway. Yes this was pop culture on overload with a rehash of Roger Rabbit but I thought that was a perfectly fine way to resurrect an otherwise-forgotten franchise.
The following 3 users liked this post by fujishig:
John Pannozzi (06-20-22), majorjoe23 (06-15-22), RocShemp (03-20-23)
Old 06-15-22, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, I'm wondering about the timeline on this as well. I know way back when this thread was first created this was scheduled to be a regular release, but it seems like the Lonely Island involvement and the Disney Plus announcement came at the same time. But this seemed to have way more thought and care put into it than an average direct to streaming movie release, not to mention all the cameos from non Disney properties.

You gotta take a step back, man. The premise is that Rescue Rangers the show was just a tv show and Chip and Dale were actors. The awkward laughing part was obviously just poking fun of a staple of those kinds of shows. I have to admit the Gadget/Zipper thing surprised me and I had to just not think about the logistics of it, but I thought it was fine (I also thought it would be some kind of fake Peter Pan in the trailers, I'm really surprised Disney was fine with doing that to their characters... my daughter actually uttered the line that they ruined her childhood jokingly).

If they did a straight up Rescue Rangers sequel I guarantee it wouldn't have been targeted for us anyway. Yes this was pop culture on overload with a rehash of Roger Rabbit but I thought that was a perfectly fine way to resurrect an otherwise-forgotten franchise.
I don’t know, I think tanman was doing a spot-on impersonation of a ridiculous fan. That is what he was doing, right? No way that was serious.
Old 06-15-22, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Watched a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised. It leaned into it's concept, especially with that twist, and just rode it all the way in. Ugly Sonic was hilarious and it was great to see other references without it turning into a Family Guy sketch.

I honestly don't know that they could have done a straight Rescue Rangers movie, especially feature length, and this was a fun compromise that still did it's own thing.
John Pannozzi (06-20-22)
Old 06-21-22, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I don’t know, I think tanman was doing a spot-on impersonation of a ridiculous fan. That is what he was doing, right? No way that was serious.
Halfway tongue in cheek joking. I really do love the Rescue Rangers. I learned to program the VCR when I was pretty young just so I could record and watch episodes over and over again. Especially the 5 part origin story. I would have totally loved to have seen a reboot like the recent Ducktails reboot either in movie or TV show form. That being said, I am totally self aware that I'm in the minority here and the people who watched the OG show probably barely remember it let alone revere it. Although I totally think a reboot aimed at kids could have worked since they were going for a "feature film" level of product that was never going to be a possibility. Especially with the announcement that they were going the cartoons in a live action movie. And especially especially since the Chipmunks live action movies also exist. So while in my ideal world we would have gotten a reboot, maybe fully CGI or fully cartoon, I'm really glad that they didn't just make another chipmunk movie and were actually pretty creative with the movie and went in a very surprising direction. Even though I didn't necessarily like the irreverence of the movie considering the subject matter is one of my childhood favorites, I did still appreciate the self deprecating humor and definitely liked all the cameos. My criticisms still very much stand though. They lean too hard on the cameos and its a weird mix of actual cameos and weird semi cameos that look like wish versions of actual cameos. Also I wish it was more accurate to the source material. It's fine they were making fun of it but at least put a little bit of research in to it and be accurate about it the nostalgic aspect of the actual show and products. There was no need to invent a lot of the aspects of the show they were making fun of or make up products that didn't exist.

tl:dr; basically I didn't like it very much but realize that's wholly based on my personal feelings about the OG Rescue Rangers and realize that if we didn't get a straight up reboot at least we didn't get another chipmunks movie and they were quite creative and irreverent with the material.

Oh and Seth Rogan still sucks.
Old 06-21-22, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Just watched the first two Rescue Rangers episodes with my kids. Both ended in a lame joke followed by the whole team laughing. I'm not going to watch every single episode to check but it's not like they completely fabricated this meme.
John Pannozzi (06-21-22)
Old 06-22-22, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
Just watched the first two Rescue Rangers episodes with my kids. Both ended in a lame joke followed by the whole team laughing. I'm not going to watch every single episode to check but it's not like they completely fabricated this meme.
Those were literally the only two times they did that.

Spoiler:
since you're not going to check
The following 2 users liked this post by tanman:
fujishig (06-22-22), John Pannozzi (06-23-22)
Old 03-20-23, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I just watched this yesterday and really enjoyed it. It's like a lesser Who Framed Roger Rabbit? since that film had a better central mystery. Heck, if I have any real nitpick against this movie is that the villain gives up his evil scheme almost immediately after he's introduced. But the gags worked for me so I was always entertained. It's a solid B, maybe a B+.