Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pitch Perfect 2 (2015) -- S: Kendrick, Wilson, Banks Dir: Elizabeth Banks

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pitch Perfect 2 (2015) -- S: Kendrick, Wilson, Banks Dir: Elizabeth Banks

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Pitch Perfect 2 (2015) -- S: Kendrick, Wilson, Banks Dir: Elizabeth Banks

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Just got back in from catching this one with the wife. It was alright, but it was really lacking the charm that the original had.
Exactly my thoughts.
Old 05-23-15, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Were they even originally planning a sequel or for this to be a franchise? I assumed that the success of the first one was something of a surprise.
Old 05-23-15, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Thought it was pretty good. Didn't expect the goofy humor. Never watched the first one.
Old 05-25-15, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Thought it was pretty good. Didn't expect the goofy humor. Never watched the first one.
The first was a good deal better, had more heart, same goofiness, much better song choices. imo. but its a pretty enjoyable series thus far.

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Were they even originally planning a sequel or for this to be a franchise? I assumed that the success of the first one was something of a surprise.
No, this one got a sequel the good old fashioned way, it earned it from popularity.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-25-15 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-25-15, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I saw it opening weekend (not at my usual multiplex, so I had to hit the rundown one, which had it on two screens, and there weren't a lot of people Sunday afternoon). I liked it, but not as much as the first one. Sequels are difficult, and this one had to throw out the whole "fish out of water" aspect of the original. I liked the job/internship angle, but the Amy-Bumper romance was a complete dud. I think the music was better in the original as well, but this had some good stuff. It was nice to have Anna Camp return, then in the finale
Spoiler:
with all the old Bellas coming back, that was pretty great.

It was also great to have Pentatonix cameo as the Canadian team. I'm a fan, and I knew they'd be in the movie, but I'd forgotten till they appeared.

Originally Posted by RichC2
No, this one got a sequel the good old fashioned way, it earned it from popularity.

Yeah, it became a hit on home video. I know a ton of fans, but I believe I'm the only one who saw the original in theaters. I could easily see them doing a DTV threequel or prequel.
Old 05-25-15, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, it became a hit on home video. I know a ton of fans, but I believe I'm the only one who saw the original in theaters. I could easily see them doing a DTV threequel or prequel.
I think if there's a threequel it'll be theatrical.

This has made $117m domestic so far off a $29m budget. They'll milk the series.
Old 05-26-15, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think if there's a threequel it'll be theatrical.

This has made $117m domestic so far off a $29m budget. They'll milk the series.
Yeah, the sequel performed great in the Avengers' second week. The reason why I'd suspect DTV was because they'd have to completely reboot the series. I suppose you could prequel it a few years and bring back Anna Camp and Brittany Snow, but that wouldn't be a very interesting story. We know the old Bellas never won nationals, and we've already seen their attempt during junior year. You COULD base it around Hailee Steinfeld and a new cast (the other new additions were pretty lame), but you'd pretty much be trying to sell it on the brand. It might work, and I'd go see it, but they'd have to lower their BO expectations.
Old 06-05-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how I managed to pull the best audience ever for this, but I just had a hell of a good time watching this movie. Folks were clapping, dancing in their seats, it was just a good vibe. I left feeling like I had just left a great concert or something. I enjoyed it very much.
Old 06-06-15, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
I assume that "video" is now a blanket term including downloads as well ? But, yeah I came across the original in Redbox after hearing all about it. I was pretty throughly charmed by it.
Old 06-06-15, 07:10 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually... I think it is.
Old 06-06-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I assume that "video" is now a blanket term including downloads as well ?
"Video" is a medium, like "audio"--when did it ever mean DVD? Certainly not back in the days of VHS videocassettes.
Old 10-24-15, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised that a cynical bastard such as I enjoys these blatantly sugary feelgood movies, but they're sure a lot of fun. True, they're basically glorified ABC Family movies about how "teamwork overcomes," the direction is usually little more than functional, though fizzy and energetic, the plots are so generic that you can literally predict every single thing that might happen in the first ten minutes, the characters are basally just a collection of tics and tropes, and it's ultimately fluff, but it's really fun. I laughed out loud quite a few times at the jokes, the musical numbers were toe-tapping, the cast really sold their characters and made them likable, and their chemistry is really charming. Yeah, to all intents and purposes, it's a remake with a bigger budget, but who cares? The rare feelgood movie that actually made me feel a little bit good, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Way, way too long though. Could've chopped out a good 20 minutes, why does everything need to be two hours now?
Old 02-27-16, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Finally saw this tonight via Netflix. Want to start off by saying that I am not a fan of musicals, at all. I caught the first one on HBO flipping channels and stayed with it. I thought it was just really cute and a lot of fun. And the performances were quite good. Since I'm not a fan of musicals, I was in no rush to see this. But dear Lord, I thought it was awful. Gone is everything that made the first work so well (IMO). The cast were just going through the motions. Working off of a terrible script. And boring musical numbers. I think I'll skip the third and any others.