Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Asked if he still hopes for a Hulk film, Ruffalo told BBC 1, “No, are you kidding me? Marvel brought me in, before we shot [Ragnarok], and said, ‘If you had a standalone Hulk movie, what would it be?'” He recalled how he gave his ideas, and said that afterwards “they said, ‘How about we take that and stretch it over the next three movies as your…character arc?’ And I said, ‘That’s great.’ And that’s what we’ve been doing, so I will get a standalone Hulk movie.”

Ruffalo also sounded like there’s no love lost between him and Universal Studios, which holds the rights to the Hulk character. “And we will work around Universal, and we’ll do it in three movies instead of one movie, so take that, Universal! Now what are you going to do? You could have had a piece of this! But no,” he joked.

The actor then went on to suggest that, once Phase Three is completed, fans could hypothetically edit out all non-Hulk material from Ragnarok, Infinity War and Avengers 4 to make a solid standalone film, and all without any Universal interference.

“They’ll probably sue us now,” he said with a laugh.
Old 11-02-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

I expect there will be an Infinity War trailer playing before Star Wars in December. I am actually more excited to see that than the Last Jedi.
Old 01-15-18, 11:41 AM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

A blind item was posted recently. The poster "himmmm" has been rumored to be RDJ in the past.

It has been rumored before, but this A+ list mostly movie actor has decided to retire from his superhero role after this forthcoming movie. He says it's getting stale, and there's other pursuits he wants to work on while he still can. He will announce it this Spring before the movie is released. He and his team are still trying to figure out how to tell the studio this weekend. They will freak out over it.
http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/20...lind-item.html
Old 01-15-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,199 Likes on 931 Posts

Honestly at this point I can’t say that I blame him if it’s true. He’s played the character for ten years and has starred or made appearances in a bunch of the MCU films. I kind of expected that he’d be finished after the next two Avengers films so this doesn’t seem surprising at all.
Old 01-15-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,207 Posts

It was a good run once IM joined the other heroes.
Old 01-15-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 835 Likes on 392 Posts

RDJ is the only MCU actor that could possibly be "A+ list", but I find it hard to believe that the studio would be blindsided by it at this point.
Old 01-15-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,399 Likes on 951 Posts

yeah, Marvel most certainly has a contingency plan at this point.
Old 01-15-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 496 Likes on 359 Posts

RDJ definitely looked older in Homecoming, and he's dropped hints before, so Feige can't exactly be surprised.

They have to have been working on a plan to, essentially, reboot the MCU with new actors since RDJ is older and Hemsworth and Evans have been busting their asses in the same roles for almost a decade.
Old 01-15-18, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
RDJ definitely looked older in Homecoming, and he's dropped hints before, so Feige can't exactly be surprised.

They have to have been working on a plan to, essentially, reboot the MCU with new actors since RDJ is older and Hemsworth and Evans have been busting their asses in the same roles for almost a decade.
Hemsworth is going to be Thor for as long as they'll have him. No way he's giving up that. But, like others, his contract just ended with the wrap of Avengers 4.
Old 01-15-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 304 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
yeah, Marvel most certainly has a contingency plan at this point.
They have already put their contingency plans in action, let's see: Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther (not out but looking to be a hit), Guardians Of The Galaxy, buying Fox film/TV so they get access to the X-Men films and getting Sony to free up Spider-Man for use in Marvel Studios films.

Marvel has already rolled the dice that certain teams/characters might be able to stand on their own two legs without cameos or extended cameos such as RDJ's in Spider-Man Homecoming from stars of the Avengers or Captain America films, and I would say the box office results show that films that do not focus on or star folks like RDJ can do just fine on their own.

RDJ is not getting any younger so like the folks who play James Bond they were going to have to look into other actors putting on the Iron Man suit or just minimizing Iron Man's role in films while building up War Machine in future films.
Old 01-15-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Hemsworth is going to be Thor for as long as they'll have him. No way he's giving up that. But, like others, his contract just ended with the wrap of Avengers 4.
Hemsworth recently said his contract is up, but he is ready for more Thor. Im sure he is well aware his non Thor movies have not done well.
Old 01-15-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,986 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I really hope they don't pull any kind of "Flashpoint" kind of stuff. Just recast the characters as necessary. If RDJ wants out as Iron Man, then give the character a rest for a few years, then cast a new actor to play Tony Stark. Same with Cap or Thor.

I wouldn't mind seeing them shift the emphasis of the MCU away from the Avengers and toward the X-Men after Phase III ends. Then bring back the classic Avengers team (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk) to do an Avengers vs X-Men thing in a few years. Then it's everyone (Avengers, FF, X) vs Galactus.
Old 01-15-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,199 Likes on 931 Posts

The thing that’s good with Marvel is that they don’t even necessarily have to be in a hurry to recast. They have so many characters to use that they don’t have to prioritize getting the next Iron Man or Captain America right away. Especially now that they have X-Men and Fantastic Four plus a good working relationship with Sony where they have access to Spidey. They can let some characters sit on the sidelines for a while and recast later. I think that’s pretty beneficial as recasting for big roles can be jarring.
Old 01-15-18, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

I wonder, though, how long they can keep it running without a reboot. Star Wars is the only other series I can think of that never really rebooted as far as characters and plotline, and while it's a blockbuster franchise they really only had to coordinate one movie at a time for most of it.
Old 01-16-18, 11:24 AM

When do you think Disney / Marvel Studios will announce the new slate of films? Seemingly the 2020 films will need to start making pre-production/casting/hiring directors sometime in 2018. So do you think this summer during Comic-Con... post Infinity War?

Three untitled films are set for release on May 1, August 7, and November 6, 2020.

I'd assume...

5/1/20 - GotG Vol. 3
8/7/20 - ?? -- maybe the Black Widow film since they hired a writer ??
11/6/20 - Doctor Strange 2

Last edited by dex14; 01-16-18 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-16-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This summer does seem possible, I imagine a lot of it hinges on the fall out from Infinity War and Avengers 4.
Old 01-16-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully no reboot. Just recast like Bond and Batman. The characters should always be more important than the actors.
Old 01-16-18, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When do you think Disney / Marvel Studios will announce the new slate of films? Seemingly the 2020 films will need to start making pre-production/casting/hiring directors sometime in 2018. So do you think this summer during Comic-Con... post Infinity War?

Three untitled films are set for release on May 1, August 7, and November 6, 2020.

I'd assume...

5/1/20 - GotG Vol. 3
8/7/20 - ?? -- maybe the Black Widow film since they hired a writer ??
11/6/20 - Doctor Strange 2
GotG 3, Strange 2, and Spidey 2 are probably givens. Ant-Man 3 can probably wait a while since 2 will be at the back end of Phase III.

I have a feeling that the post-Phase III schedule is fluid since they might be incorporating the FF and X-Men in there.
Old 01-16-18, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
GotG 3, Strange 2, and Spidey 2 are probably givens. Ant-Man 3 can probably wait a while since 2 will be at the back end of Phase III.

I have a feeling that the post-Phase III schedule is fluid since they might be incorporating the FF and X-Men in there.
Spidey 2 is already announced for July 2019 after Avengers 4.
Old 01-16-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
Hopefully no reboot. Just recast like Bond and Batman. The characters should always be more important than the actors.
I think they should just recast as needed. If Evans and RDJ want out, then give the characters a break for a while and recast. It's like changing artists in the comic books who might draw the characters differently.

It seems like killing the characters off would be a waste, even if they bring them back with new folks under the masks. One could maybe get killed to give dramatic weight to IW, but I'd rather not all of the Avengers be sacrificed. If someone has to die, I'd say kill off Stark because RDJ will be the toughest to replace. I still want to see Hulk vs Thing, Hulk vs Wolverine, and a WWII adventure with Cap and Logan.

I'd rather not have some kind of reality altering event like Flashpoint, Crisis, or DOFP used to justify revadtings, since there really aren't enough movies to justify a continuity dump like that.
Old 01-16-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spidey 2 is already announced for July 2019 after Avengers 4.
Just checked and it's July 5, 2019. Wikipedia also has GotG3 for 2020.

I didn't think they had any firm dates for post IW yet.
Old 01-16-18, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Feige has talked openly about how Spidey 2 kicks off a change for the MCU following the events of Avengers 4, so I imagine Marvel already knows exactly what they want to do for the next 5+ years, actors/casting and all. They just haven't announced anything, nor do they really need to. I mean, they even changed the name of Avengers 4 specifically citing that it might spoil what happens in Infinity War.

Even with the Fox properties back, I imagine they'll take their time finding a way to integrate them properly.
Old 01-16-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A big event like the Infinity War is the perfect vehicle to reboot and recast. The power of the Infinity Gauntlet can be used to reshape the MCU and reboot it to include the X-universe and the Fantastic Four and to recast aging actors.
Old 01-16-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
RDJ is the only MCU actor that could possibly be "A+ list", but I find it hard to believe that the studio would be blindsided by it at this point.
Sam Jackson?
Old 01-16-18, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,399 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Sam Jackson?
He doesn't turn down paychecks

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.