Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Apocalypse (D: Singer; May 27th, 2016)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Apocalypse (D: Singer; May 27th, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-15, 10:53 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: X-Men: Apocalypse (D: Singer; May 27th, 2016)

Originally Posted by taffer

You liked Spider-Man 3, but Avengers is one of the worst comic movies of all time?

lol yeah, absolutely hated the Avengers :/ haha
Old 01-24-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm guessing you're talking about the one with uma Thurman.
Old 01-24-15, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 676 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I'm guessing you're talking about the one with uma Thurman.
That's what I thought as well (almost looked up a picture of Sean Connery in the bear suit to post in this thread) but... Was the original TV show based on a comic book?
Old 01-24-15, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

It was not. There are comics based on the show.
Old 01-25-15, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
I'm with Taffer on this one. This is the correct rating.
Not quite. The mere fact they had to make a movie(DoFP) to retcon another out of existence (X3) makes that the worst one.
Old 01-25-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I rewatched all the movies prior to seeing DoFP. X-Men: Origins: Wolverine is bad, but it at least has its moments, Last Stand however is nearly unwatchable. Shit from start to finish.
Old 01-25-15, 04:06 PM

I'm the juggernaut, bitch!

Not quite the Shakespearean "know what happens when a toad gets hit by lightning?"

(Note - that toad line could have been pretty good/funny, but berry's delivery on it was abysmal)
Old 01-25-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 676 Likes on 525 Posts

(Note - that toad line could have been pretty good/funny, but berry's delivery on it was abysmal)
Bullshit. I know that Whedon constantly makes that defense and, although Berry's delivery certainly makes it worse, it's still a shitty line and Whedon should never have tried to defend it.

On the other hand, "you're a dick" was a great line by Whedon.
Old 01-25-15, 04:39 PM
Banned

To be fair, the Juggernaut bitch line wasn't made up for the movie. It actually originated as a parody video based on the 90s animated series. Then they decided to reference it in X3 for whatever reason.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/im-the-juggernaut-bitch
Old 01-25-15, 05:05 PM

yep, I know the juggernaut meme, just stuck out like a sore thumb in the movie. Horrible decision to include it.

I actually do agree with whedon on the toad line (and i am far from a whedon apologist). Would it have been the line of the movie? Of course not. But it would have gotten a good chuckle and would not be looked back on as horrible. I always envisioned it improving with better timing as well:

"you know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning?" THEN hit him with lightning, then storm dies down, look over the side of the building and say "Hmm, the same thing that happens to everything else." So if the timing is on whedon, then he gets some blame, too.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-25-15 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-25-15, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
X2 is the best of the "original class" movies, but I do prefer all the "next generation" movies over it.

I would rank them:
Days of Future Past
First Class
The Wolverine
X2
X1
X3
Wolverine Origins
DOFP
X2
X1
The Wolverine
First Class
The cartoon from the 1990s
Origins
Slamming your hand in the car door
X3

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not quite. The mere fact they had to make a movie(DoFP) to retcon another out of existence (X3) makes that the worst one.
Agreed. X3 is so terrible by itself, but when you take into account just how good the previous two films had been, that it was the finale, and all of the potential it squandered, it's even worse.
Old 01-25-15, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Agreed. X3 is so terrible by itself, but when you take into account just how good the previous two films had been, that it was the finale, and all of the potential it squandered, it's even worse.
I don't think X3 was planned as a finale actually. The ending and the post-credits sequence
Spoiler:
with Magneto moving the chess piece with his powers indicating that the cure did not work, and Charles returning to life in the braindead patient
definitely hint at an X4, which never happened since they "rebooted" with First Class.
Old 01-25-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

While X3 and Origins were the worst of the series, I still don't find them absolutely terrible or unwatchable and both have some good that come out of both of them. Of course i'm also on board the First Class is overrated train, so hanshotfirst's rankings are closer to mine with the exception of The Wolverine ahead of X1.
Old 01-25-15, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, what the hell.

The Wolverine
DoFP
X2
X1
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X3
First Class

I'm not saying X3 is a better film, but in terms of personal preference I would watch it over First Class. I just think FC is incredibly overrated.
Old 01-25-15, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts

Fist Class is overrated, BUT there's no denying it's a well crafted film with amazing performances from the two leads.
Old 01-25-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Bullshit. I know that Whedon constantly makes that defense and, although Berry's delivery certainly makes it worse, it's still a shitty line and Whedon should never have tried to defend
And don't forget, Alien: Resurrection sucked because of everyone involved except for Whedon.
Old 01-25-15, 08:08 PM

the Charles/Erik scenes in first class are some of the best scenes in any x-men movie. The Beast/Mystique stuff is decent.

But the rest of it - the other students, and especially anything involving Kevin Bacon and January Jones - is pretty damn bad.

I'd say:

X2
X1
DOFP
The Wolverine / First Class (couldn't decide)
Origins
X3
Old 01-25-15, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FC is a film of extremes. Great A+ moments to only be followed w/ crap moments. Erik and Charles alone make it so much better than X3. X3 was just crap drama.
Old 01-25-15, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,483 Likes on 4,435 Posts

the Charles/Erik scenes in first class are some of the best scenes in any x-men movie. The Beast/Mystique stuff is decent.

But the rest of it - the other students, and especially anything involving Kevin Bacon and January Jones - is pretty damn bad.

I'd say:

X2
X1
DOFP
The Wolverine / First Class (couldn't decide)
Origins
X3
I agree pretty much, but you forgot to add Root Canal, Getting Mugged and Colonoscopy between Origins and X3
Old 01-25-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I agree pretty much, but you forgot to add Root Canal, Getting Mugged and Colonoscopy between Origins and X3
I didn't .
Old 01-25-15, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts

I wish the "Angel trying to cut out his wings" scene didn't happen in X3. That is an incredibly poignant and moving scene. Followed by his escape from the lab, which is just awesome. Too bad the rest of the movie is garbage.

My ranking:

DOFP
X2
First Class
The Wolverine
X1
X3
Origins

There's a pretty wide gap between X1 and X3.
Old 01-26-15, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

X-Men First Class, a movie celebrated simply for not being directed by Brett Ratner.
Old 01-26-15, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
I wish the "Angel trying to cut out his wings" scene didn't happen in X3. That is an incredibly poignant and moving scene. Followed by his escape from the lab, which is just awesome.
Not to mention his existence in X3 means we probably don't get angel in any movie involving apocalypse. angel/archangel was always one of my favorite arcs from the comics.
Old 01-26-15, 07:43 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I KNOW! It was so awesome. Fuck. Even if Angel wasn't with them at the time, it was still awesome to see him become Archangel in the animated series. I fucking loved it when he'd come back for an episode in that show. He was just really cool looking.
Old 01-31-15, 12:31 AM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts

'X-Men: Apocalypse': Rose Byrne returning as Moira MacTaggert -- Exclusive

Last week, Bryan Singer announced that 2016’s X-Men: Apocalypse will reintroduce Jean Grey, Cyclops, and Storm to the mutant superteam franchise. Now, EW can exclusively reveal that Apocalypse will feature the return trip for another franchise player: Rose Byrne’s Moira MacTaggert, the CIA agent and Professor X love interest introduced in 2011’s First Class.

“She’s a significant character in the movie,” says Apocalypse writer Simon Kinberg, returning to the franchise after Days of Future Past. “We ended First Class with Charles having wiped portions of her memory of her experience with the X-Men. They are, essentially, strangers to her when she meets them.” Apocalypse is set in the early ’80s, roughly 20 years after First Class, and Kinberg is mum about how she ties into the film. But expect to see further developments in her interaction with Professor Xavier. “It’s certainly a rich relationship that we started to dig into in First Class, and would like to mine more in this one,” teases Kinberg.

When he spoke to EW on Friday afternoon, Kinberg was preparing to hop a plane back from Montreal, where pre-production has begin in earnest for Apocalypse. Although details of the film remain tightly sealed, Kinberg does allow that it’s intended as an endpoint for certain First Class-era character arcs. “This movie is the completion of the first arcs of Charles, Eric, Raven, and Hank, who are essentially our main characters,” he explains. “They’re such young actors and young characters, so there’s a lot more story to tell. But as a first phase of their lives, there is this feeling of closure by the end of the movie.”

And also a feeling of nostalgia: Kinberg sounds rhapsodic talking about the 1980s setting of Apocalypse. “That’s the era that I grew up in,” he says. “The music, the fashion, the videogames: We really want to integrate all of that in the movie, and have it infuse the movie with a different vibe.” Does this mean they’ll finally find some room for disco clubkid Dazzler? “Could happen,” laughs Kinberg. “We’re certainly looking at mutants that would fit into the period.”

Kinberg is keeping busy with mutant superteams: He also wrote the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot. The film’s mysterious first teaser arrived early this week, breaking records as the most-watched trailer in 20th Century Fox’s history, beating out the previous record-holder: Days of Future Past. Kinberg is quick to stress how FF is different from the typical superhero movie.

“Part of what’s cool about the Fantastic Four comics is that there’s an emphasis on the science of science fiction,” says Kinberg. “And we treat what would normally be considered a superpower as a trauma. They don’t just go up a roof, jump off, and start swinging through the city. It’s the opposite. What would happen if your body transformed, and you didn’t have control over it?”

Rumors persist that the Fantastic Four franchise will ultimately intersect with X-Men—both franchises come from 20th Century Fox. But that wasn’t the concept of this first film. “The reboot of FanFour really needed to work in and of itself,” he says. “We were doing something pretty radical with the tone of the movie.” Still, the opportunity for a crossover is there. “If we wanted to find a way to connect them to the X-Men, we could,” says the writer. “There’s a lot of precedent from the comics.”

And although the trailer only hinted at the presence of iconic baddie Doctor Doom, Kinberg makes it clear that he’s as central to the film as the titular heroes. “He has aspirations and struggles that are a little bit more classically tragic than the other characters,” he explains. “As much as it’s an origin story of our heroes, it also tracks how someone can become a villain.”
http://www.ew.com/node/2106722

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.