Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Road House - remake (2024, D: Liman) S: Gyllenhaal

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Road House - remake (2024, D: Liman) S: Gyllenhaal

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts
Re: Road House - remake (2024, D: Liman) S: Gyllenhaal

The movie was entertaining but pretty bad. If Liman really thinks Gyllenhaal put in the best performance of his career, someone should show Liman Nightcrawler or Prisoners or Jarhead or Brokeback Mountain or End of Watch or Zodiac or Donnie Darko or Brothers. Jake Gyllenhaal's performance makes the movie work, but that about it. The movie is too over the top to be serious and too serious to be over the top. On the one hand Dalton's backstory is dramatic, but doesn't really get resolved. The movie doesn't answer why he loses his mind in the ring. On the other hand you have a cartoonish villain like Conor McGregor.
This was a Jason Statham movie, starring a real actor like Gyllenhaal.
Old 03-25-24, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Agree with a lot here...it was bad to Ok. Should have been called something else probably and could have been so much more, but they can't help themselves with stuff like this. Terrible cliché's all though don't help. The whole shaving scene was one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. No need to go into any more about this movie.

Not something I will see again like the original. Perfectly good time waster yesterday afternoon. A one and done for sure.

Old 03-25-24, 08:40 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

There was one more homage to the original I noticed, during the final fight sequence when Gyllenhaal and McGregor are brawling, with McGregor charging at him, Gyllenhaal is up against the wall and can be heard saying, "be nice".

Agree with most of the other comments. Was mildly entertained but the movie lacked in charm and won't replace the original. Was slightly amused seeing random faces pop up - Post Malone, Bob Menery, etc. McGregor's character was indeed cartoonish, but at the same time I can't think of a more appropriate movie for him to make his debut in.
Old 03-25-24, 09:29 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
This was a Jason Statham movie, starring a real actor like Gyllenhaal.
I’d take a Chev Fucking Chelios flick over a Bubble Boy movie every time.
Old 03-25-24, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bchbdaddy
I’d take a Chev Fucking Chelios flick over a Bubble Boy movie every time.
There's nothing wrong with Statham movies, but a good actor he is not and while Gyllenhaal was the Bubble Boy, it isn't really the movie that represents his career.
I once read the quote Jason Statham never made a bad movie, but never a good movie either and while I'd say In the Name of the King and Snatch. disprove the theory, it's basically acurate and Road House would have been a good fit for him.
Old 03-25-24, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I liked it for what it was. Not as absurd and over the top as the original, but it was still entertaining. I’d love to see MacGregor in a Statham movie. I think without his over-the-top menace in the movie, it would have fizzled out before the final act.
Old 03-25-24, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

This movie was really bad. WTF were they thinking with Conor Mcgregor?? So terrible. It honestly started off somewhat decent then just took a nosedive. Also not sure why the F it was so long, I kept checking how much time there was left.

I have no arguments for this not getting a theatrical release.
Old 03-25-24, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

I thought it was entertaining. Better than I thought it’d be. An 8/10. It was cheesy just like the first one. The villain reminded me of Shooter McGavin. It’s definitely something I wouldn’t watch again but it was a fun couple of hours.
Old 03-26-24, 10:21 AM

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Is that McGregor's normal speaking voice or was he doing something for the character? Because if it's his normal voice then he's challenging David Beckham for the "Most Unexpectedly Silly Voice" trophy.
Old 03-26-24, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by HeIsTheZissou
Is that McGregor's normal speaking voice or was he doing something for the character? Because if it's his normal voice then he's challenging David Beckham for the "Most Unexpectedly Silly Voice" trophy.
I don’t know if that’s his normal voice but I kept wondering if that’s how he really walks. He had such an odd strut throughout the movie.
Old 03-26-24, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I don’t know if that’s his normal voice but I kept wondering if that’s how he really walks. He had such an odd strut throughout the movie.
He pitched up his voice and his accent for the role and the walk is something he does before and after his fights, some kind of signature move.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

He pitched up his voice and his accent for the role and the walk is something he does before and after his fights, some kind of signature move.
It's all he knows how to do. He's not an actor. Similar to Gronk being an NFL "analyst". Everything he says comes off like he's cutting a WWE promo. It's all he knows.
Old 03-27-24, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
he has an abnormally over developed back (or chest) such that it pushes his shoulders forward. He's always walked / looked that way but now that he's all juiced up, the visual is exacerbated.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I honestly had wondered if he had some sort of major injury that caused him to walk like a gorilla. The dude is just a wee bit off.

It was a fun movie but I don't think this will be something I go back to or see multiple times like the original. In fact it makes me want to see the original to wash the image of that weird strut out of my mind.
Old 03-28-24, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I honestly had wondered if he had some sort of major injury that caused him to walk like a gorilla. The dude is just a wee bit off.
He did break his leg in a fight two years ago.

Old 03-28-24, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I didn't know he was a UFC fighter. I thought he was just hamming it up. I thought it was a good fit for the movie.
Old 04-01-24, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

I assume this will never get a official U.S. disc or physical media release?
Old 04-02-24, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Maybe this was posted or obvious --- but you all did watch thru the credits, right? I did not until my son told me I should.
Old 04-02-24, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Maybe this was posted or obvious --- but you all did watch thru the credits, right? I did not until my son told me I should.
Are you referring to
Spoiler:
Conor McGregor trashing the hospital and walking out

or is there another post credit scene I missed?
Old 04-02-24, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the only one. It's really a mid-credit scene, not post.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noonan:
GoldenJCJ (04-02-24), Rob V (04-03-24)
Old 04-02-24, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I need to yell at the sky for a moment. I'm really sick of these mid/post-credit scenes that the streaming services 'hide" by minimizing the current movie and showing an ad for what they want you to watch next. Disney is the worst as there has been more than a time or two I needed to blitz through the entire movie to get to the mid-credit scene that was cut off.
Old 04-02-24, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I need to yell at the sky for a moment. I'm really sick of these mid/post-credit scenes that the streaming services 'hide" by minimizing the current movie and showing an ad for what they want you to watch next. Disney is the worst as there has been more than a time or two I needed to blitz through the entire movie to get to the mid-credit scene that was cut off.
I can't recall which service it is, but one of them gives an option to Skip Credits the way you can sometimes skip an opening. It jumps you right to the scene. But yeah, that is annoying when you know there's a scene you're trying to get to.
Old 04-02-24, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

This doesn't have much to do with the remake, other than I've noticed something since it came out, and I saw a Yahoo article comparing the two movies, new and original. The author of the article started referring to "James", and after saying the name several times, I realized I had no idea who he was talking about. Turned out he was talking about the original movie's Dalton. Apparently there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment in the original movie where, even though he's only ever referred to as "Dalton" by everyone through the whole movie, his first name is revealed to be "James" on the medical paperwork he gives to Elizabeth at the hospital when he gets his knife wound stapled. And now, IMDb has him listed as "James Dalton", and the Wikipedia page for the movie calls him "James Dalton". Sorry, but when the only name spoken by everyone in the movie is "Dalton", and he's listed in the end credits of the movie as "Dalton", he's just "Dalton".

That's my rant. Carry on.
Old 04-02-24, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I assume this will never get a official U.S. disc or physical media release?
There's been Amazon shows that have gotten Blu-ray and 4k releases so it might. I think the Jack Ryan series got released on 4k.
Old 04-02-24, 06:09 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
There's been Amazon shows that have gotten Blu-ray and 4k releases so it might. I think the Jack Ryan series got released on 4k.
Jack Ryan did because it’s owned by Paramount.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.