Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies "Taken Away" from the Director

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies "Taken Away" from the Director

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Re: Movies "Taken Away" from the Director

Supernova (2000). It was directed by Walter Hill, but substantially reshot by Jack Sholder, edited by Francis Ford Coppola and Alan Smithee'd.
Old 11-04-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Exorcist III

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exorcist_III

An upcoming book titled The Evolution Of William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist III: From Concept To Novel To Screen by author Erik Kristopher Myers will purportedly reveal the story behind the film's development, and publish never-before-seen images, the original script, studio notes, various drafts of the story as it has evolved, and interviews with Blatty, Brad Dourif, Mark Kermode, John Carpenter, and many others associated with the film.[5] Myers in an interview said that The Exorcist III "has sort of turned into horror genre’s equivalent of Orson Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons, in that it was originally a very classy film that the studio hacked apart and turned into a commercial piece [...] I'm basically trying to chronicle how a film can get away from the author and be transformed into a purely commercial product."
Old 11-04-13, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
Exorcist III

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exorcist_III

An upcoming book titled The Evolution Of William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist III: From Concept To Novel To Screen by author Erik Kristopher Myers will purportedly reveal the story behind the film's development, and publish never-before-seen images, the original script, studio notes, various drafts of the story as it has evolved, and interviews with Blatty, Brad Dourif, Mark Kermode, John Carpenter, and many others associated with the film.[5] Myers in an interview said that The Exorcist III "has sort of turned into horror genre’s equivalent of Orson Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons, in that it was originally a very classy film that the studio hacked apart and turned into a commercial piece [...] I'm basically trying to chronicle how a film can get away from the author and be transformed into a purely commercial product."
The lesson being from this and Dominion: don't work with Morgan Creek.
Old 11-04-13, 08:37 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Old 11-04-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The lesson being from this and Dominion: don't work with Morgan Creek.

That reminds me, Nightbreed was not what Clive Barker envisioned. Another Morgan Creek production, I think.
Old 11-04-13, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That reminds me, Nightbreed was not what Clive Barker envisioned. Another Morgan Creek production, I think.
It seems to be a thing with Morgan Creek CEO James Robinson and horror movies specifically. Dream House was another one:

Director Jim Sheridan clashed with Morgan Creek’s James G. Robinson constantly on the set over the shape of the script and production of the film.[4] Sheridan then tried to take his name off the film after being unhappy with the film and his relationship with Morgan Creek Productions.[5]

Sheridan, Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz disliked the final cut of the film so much that they refused to do press promotion or interviews for it.[6] The trailer, cut by Morgan Creek Productions, came under fire for revealing the main plot twist of the film.[6]
Old 11-04-13, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You are correct, Morgan Creek & 20th Century Fox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightbreed

Barker's original version ran two-and-a-half hours and Fox asked for almost an hour to be cut prompting editor Richard Marden to leave the project in protest. Nightbreed was cut to two hours and then again to 102 minutes.

.....According to Barker, the studio did not promote it well with posters that misinterpreted the content. When he saw the way they were selling Nightbreed, he "freaked out and said, 'What you doing? This isn't the movie, and was given all kinds of excuses ... 'Well, there isn't time to change it, we have to release it now'". The head of marketing at Morgan Creek never watched all the way through because it "disgusted and distressed" him, according to Barker. The studio did not understand it, it had no movie stars, it was violent, and it had elements of fantasy and horror which they saw as a weakness while Barker saw it as a strength. They ended up marketing Nightbreed as a slasher film with television teasers that were confusing and did not represent it.
Old 11-04-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 733 Likes on 535 Posts

Wargames
Old 11-04-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
It seems to be a thing with Morgan Creek CEO James Robinson and horror movies specifically. Dream House was another one:

Director Jim Sheridan clashed with Morgan Creek’s James G. Robinson constantly on the set over the shape of the script and production of the film.[4] Sheridan then tried to take his name off the film after being unhappy with the film and his relationship with Morgan Creek Productions.[5]

Sheridan, Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz disliked the final cut of the film so much that they refused to do press promotion or interviews for it.[6] The trailer, cut by Morgan Creek Productions, came under fire for revealing the main plot twist of the film.[6]
Dream House was garbage and I paid to see it in theaters.
Old 11-04-13, 09:23 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

No mention of Sarah Polley?

Old 11-04-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

Already mentioned it.
Doh. Totally missed that, but to be fair it doesn't quite fit in with the others on your list.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Some other Pixar/Disney films:
  • Bolt - Chris Sanders was removed after resisting changes to the story.
I knew it. I was almost positive Sanders was removed from one but couldn't recall which and nothing on IMDB stood out when I was looking last night.
Old 11-04-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I knew it. I was almost positive Sanders was removed from one but couldn't recall which and nothing on IMDB stood out when I was looking last night.
Yep.

At first, the film was going to be titled American Dog, and was written and directed by Chris Sanders. Eventually, Sanders was removed from the project and replaced by Chris Williams and Byron Howard.[2] The film's previous plot told the story of a dog named Henry, a famous TV star, who one day finds himself stranded in the Nevada desert with a testy, one-eyed cat and an oversized, radioactive rabbit who are themselves searching for new homes, all the while believing he is still on television. In 2006, after becoming Chief Creative Officer at Disney, John Lasseter along with other directors from Pixar and Disney viewed a couple of early cuts of the film and gave Chris Sanders notes on how to improve the story. According to Lasseter, Chris Sanders was replaced because Sanders resisted the changes that Lasseter and the other directors had suggested. Lasseter was quoted as saying "Chris Sanders is extremely talented, but he couldn't take it to the place it had to be."[3] After Sanders left and the original title was removed, the animation team was told to complete the filming just 18 months instead of the usual four years that is normally required to produce a computer-animated feature.[4] On June 8, 2007, Disney announced that the film, now under its current name, would be released on November 21, 2008 in Disney Digital 3-D.
Old 11-04-13, 10:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The unifying theme for almost all these films is that they're terrible. Not sure if that's because they were taken way fromt he directors...or if they were taken away because of that and weren't salvageable.
Old 11-04-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

I actually like both cuts of Payback.
Old 11-04-13, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

You are correct, Morgan Creek & 20th Century Fox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightbreed

Barker's original version ran two-and-a-half hours and Fox asked for almost an hour to be cut prompting editor Richard Marden to leave the project in protest. Nightbreed was cut to two hours and then again to 102 minutes.

.....According to Barker, the studio did not promote it well with posters that misinterpreted the content. When he saw the way they were selling Nightbreed, he "freaked out and said, 'What you doing? This isn't the movie, and was given all kinds of excuses ... 'Well, there isn't time to change it, we have to release it now'". The head of marketing at Morgan Creek never watched all the way through because it "disgusted and distressed" him, according to Barker. The studio did not understand it, it had no movie stars, it was violent, and it had elements of fantasy and horror which they saw as a weakness while Barker saw it as a strength. They ended up marketing Nightbreed as a slasher film with television teasers that were confusing and did not represent it.
I remember those spots from when it was released. All the teasers showed was
Spoiler:
Dr. Deckard on the rampage.
I didn't even know until I read a news article discussing the creatures that it had monsters in it. Once I learned what it was really about, I got interested.
Old 11-04-13, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The unifying theme for almost all these films is that they're terrible. Not sure if that's because they were taken way fromt he directors...or if they were taken away because of that and weren't salvageable.
In the case of Halloween 6, I think the movie was a mess from the get-go. I've seen both the theatrical and Producer's cuts and, honestly, neither version is that good. The Producer's cut is slightly more coherent, but it's still pretty nonsensical.

Wasn't Dune and The Big Red One taken away from David Lynch and Samuel Fuller respectively?
Old 11-04-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Actually, based on the movies mentioned so far, it seems more like a 50/50 split between bad to terrible and good to great films. Orson Welles's films, Brazil, Ratatouille, Blade Runner, etc. are all great films. Hell, even Bolt and Brave are decent.

And studios don't typically take a film away to make it better, they do so in order to make it more marketable. Thus things like adding a "happy ending" to Blade Runner and Brazil. Or, the film's gone over budget and the studio/completion bond company wants to cut their losses and just release what they have.
Old 11-04-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
Wasn't Dune and The Big Red One taken away from David Lynch and Samuel Fuller respectively?
For Dune, not really. Lynch worked with the producers in editing the theatrical cut, and has declined the opportunities for creating a "Director's Cut." He did have his name removed from one or more of the extended cuts that were created for TV though:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(film)#Editing

It sounds like Fuller was pulled of The Big Red One though:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...testament.html
Whatever the length, Lorimar thought it was a problem: not epic enough for its length. They took the editing away from Fuller. They hired a composer to write a score without talking to Fuller. And Fuller had to go out and put a brave face on selling the remains of his movie.
Old 11-04-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Major Dundee and a bunch of other Sam Peckinpah films.
Old 11-04-13, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Ironically, I think the movie "Directed by Alan Smithee" by Arthur Hiller was a case. He claims to have made a movie that was a satire of Hollywood's system and they re-cut it into a screwy comedy.
Old 11-04-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

This is about to change. I am not sure if its taken place already, but there is a screening of Nightbreed: The Cabal cut with Clive Barker in attendance at the Egyptian Theater in LA. He has been working on a new version with additional scenes from the movie that were found in a vault somewhere in recent years. Probably get a re-release next year as a Directors Cut on Blu-ray.

Old 11-05-13, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What about Kenneth Longergan's Margaret? Or Erich Von Stroheim's Greed? Or Heaven's Gate, if you believe Cimino's story.

The unifying theme for almost all these films is that they're terrible. Not sure if that's because they were taken way from he directors...or if they were taken away because of that and weren't salvageable.
Not really. Some of these films are actually quite good. Ratatouille is brilliant, Blade Runner is widely regarded as a masterpiece, and certainly most of Welles films are pretty well regarded.

Originally Posted by big e
In the case of Halloween 6, I think the movie was a mess from the get-go. I've seen both the theatrical and Producer's cuts and, honestly, neither version is that good. The Producer's cut is slightly more coherent, but it's still pretty nonsensical.
That's what I thought about the "assembly cut" of Alien 3. It's still an interesting mess, it's just longer.

And studios don't typically take a film away to make it better, they do so in order to make it more marketable. Thus things like adding a "happy ending" to Blade Runner and Brazil. Or, the film's gone over budget and the studio/completion bond company wants to cut their losses and just release what they have.
Or because the director wants a degree of creative control that the producers don't want to give him, such as Donner's Superman II.

For Dune, not really. Lynch worked with the producers in editing the theatrical cut, and has declined the opportunities for creating a "Director's Cut." He did have his name removed from one or more of the extended cuts that were created for TV though:
I've always wondered why Lynch never worked on a DC of Dune, the TC is almost unintelligent if you haven't read the novel.

Whatever the length, Lorimar thought it was a problem: not epic enough for its length. They took the editing away from Fuller. They hired a composer to write a score without talking to Fuller. And Fuller had to go out and put a brave face on selling the remains of his movie.
Richard Schickel worked on a restored version a number of years ago, don't know how it turned out, never saw it. I actually think the theatrical cut of The Big Red One that I saw was pretty good.

Originally Posted by james2025a
This is about to change. I am not sure if its taken place already, but there is a screening of Nightbreed: The Cabal cut with Clive Barker in attendance at the Egyptian Theater in LA. He has been working on a new version with additional scenes from the movie that were found in a vault somewhere in recent years. Probably get a re-release next year as a Directors Cut on Blu-ray.

That's all very well, but I'm more interested in the DC of Exorcist III. Although hey, they said the Nightbreed DC would never happen.
Old 11-05-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
That's all very well, but I'm more interested in the DC of Exorcist III.
This and an uncut version of Ken Russel's The Devils.
Old 11-05-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Daredevil was all but taken away from the director. His cut was a completely different movie.
Old 11-05-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This and an uncut version of Ken Russel's The Devils.
Kermode has been working on that, apparently he's screened the uncut version at some festivals, although I don't think it's on home video yet. But it sounds like Blatty's footage is gone for good .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.