Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rocketman (2019, D: Fletcher) S: Taron Egerton -- Elton John musical fantasy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rocketman (2019, D: Fletcher) S: Taron Egerton -- Elton John musical fantasy

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Rocketman (2019, D: Fletcher) S: Taron Egerton -- Elton John musical fantasy

Watched this last night and we really enjoyed it. Egerton was fantastic. While I also liked Bohemian Rhapsody, I think this was a better film and Egerton was a better Elton than Malek was Freddie. By that I mean I always felt like Malek was doing just an impression, while Egerton did an interpretation and it came off more genuine/realistic IMO.

Hope they remember his performance come awards season.
Old 08-25-19, 03:55 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Rocketman (2019, D: Fletcher) S: Taron Egerton -- Elton John musical fantasy

I'm not an Elton John fan but respect his musical talent and like some of his songs

Taron Egerton was awesome, genuninally great singer, especially after seeing some of his live performances

I did fast forward through a lot of this movie, not interested in seeing Elton's drinking or gaying

But i liked the Crocodile Rock , don't go breaking my heart and i'm still standing musical numbers
Old 08-25-19, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

"gaying???"
Old 08-25-19, 07:35 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

lolwhut
Old 09-04-19, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Rented the Blu-Ray from Red Box and I actually thought this was really good. Taron Egerton was great as Elton and I really liked that they used his real voice for the singing as opposed to him lip syncing.

Aside from the weird, sometimes drug induced fantasy elements, which were good, this was a compelling story about Elton's struggle with his sexuality, relationships and his drug addiction.

Loved the end when they re-created the "I'm still standing" music video and inserted Egerton into it.
Old 09-04-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

I knew that there were musical sequences but I didn't realize how much of a straightforward (no pun intended) Musical this was. While a good bit of the "Fall/Redemption of An Artist" was pretty much rote for this type of thing, I enjoyed it quite a lot.
Old 10-19-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I watched this last night and loved it!

The acting was fantastic. Egerton deserves an Oscar nom, though thanks to Malek winning last year for a similar role I don’t see it happening.

The music was also wonderful. I’m not a huge Elton John fan but I was surprised by how many songs of his I actually knew.

The editing should also get Oscar consideration. I felt it really elevated the material to bring energy to what would have otherwise been average scenes.

Overall, I’d say this is probably my favorite movie of the year so far!
Old 06-05-20, 10:48 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I watched it a couple of days ago, and, well.... the main impression I walked away with was that Elton wanted to present his life as a weepy, "woe is me" tale. After a while, I think I just got tired of him wanting us to feel so bad for him and how victimized and tough his life was. It was kind of obnoxious. I also thought the whole 'telling his story at a group therapy session' was a cliche as hell narrative device.

I'm not the biggest Elton fan out there though, so maybe I would've appreciated it more if I was.
Old 06-06-20, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I watched half the other night and liked what I saw. I need to finish it.
Old 06-06-20, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium
I watched it a couple of days ago, and, well.... the main impression I walked away with was that Elton wanted to present his life as a weepy, "woe is me" tale. After a while, I think I just got tired of him wanting us to feel so bad for him and how victimized and tough his life was. It was kind of obnoxious. I also thought the whole 'telling his story at a group therapy session' was a cliche as hell narrative device.

I'm not the biggest Elton fan out there though, so maybe I would've appreciated it more if I was.
I had a totally different experience. Elton John didn't present his life as weepy tale. He presented himself as the extravagant (shopping) Junkie he is.
Old 06-07-20, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Finally, watched this and it works a lot better than Bohemian Rhapsody. Because it's presented as a musical, you didn't worry about an incorrect timeline as the songs are presented. I was surprised at some song and life omissions that were triggered by Elton's life events. (I guess one suicide attempt was enough for the film). I will say that the last number was weird as they superimpose Eggsy into the original I'm Still Standing video over Elton.
Old 06-07-20, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I had a totally different experience. Elton John didn't present his life as weepy tale. He presented himself as the extravagant (shopping) Junkie he is.
Yeah, I'm a big fan (see my avatar) and I can say with 100% certainty that Elton does not expect anyone to feel the least bit bad about his story. I haven't seen the movie since release, but I don't recall getting that sense from it at all.
Old 06-07-20, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Finally, watched this and it works a lot better than Bohemian Rhapsody. Because it's presented as a musical, you didn't worry about an incorrect timeline as the songs are presented. I was surprised at some song and life omissions that were triggered by Elton's life events. (I guess one suicide attempt was enough for the film). I will say that the last number was weird as they superimpose Eggsy into the original I'm Still Standing video over Elton.
Really!? I didn't think it was weird at all. I saw the movie at a drive-in with a few friends and we all thought adding Egerton to this music video was very clever. Why show the original with Elton when he was in the closing credits a few seconds later? Overall I thought it was good. So much better than "Bohemian Rhapsody". Which was a choppy film at best with one great performance.

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Yeah, I'm a big fan (see my avatar) and I can say with 100% certainty that Elton does not expect anyone to feel the least bit bad about his story. I haven't seen the movie since release, but I don't recall getting that sense from it at all.
Old 06-08-20, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I will say that the last number was weird as they superimpose Eggsy into the original I'm Still Standing video over Elton.
Oh shit, is that what they did? I just assumed it was a shot for shot remake of the video.
Old 06-08-20, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Really!? I didn't think it was weird at all. I saw the movie at a drive-in with a few friends and we all thought adding Egerton to this music video was very clever. Why show the original with Elton when he was in the closing credits a few seconds later? Overall I thought it was good. So much better than "Bohemian Rhapsody". Which was a choppy film at best with one great performance.
To me, either recreate the whole performance, or show the original. I know for Bohemian Rhapsody, because of the manufactured drama surrounding the LiveAid performance, I would have preferred that they cut to the original footage as Freddie took the stage. The shot for shot remake was impressive, too, though. But the way it's presented in Rocketman, it would have been like Singer (or Fletcher) just superimposed Malek into the original footage.

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Oh shit, is that what they did? I just assumed it was a shot for shot remake of the video.
And that's what I kind of expected.. a shot for shot remake, but then i'm like.. waitaminute! That's the original video! Everything else recreated were pretty accurate, but an interesting choice to use the actual video.
Old 06-08-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

Seems like a weird thing to get hung up on when we're talking about like a minute of footage, of which Egerton is onscreen for maybe 20 seconds.
Old 06-10-20, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems like a weird thing to get hung up on when we're talking about like a minute of footage, of which Egerton is onscreen for maybe 20 seconds.
It's just a little jarring to see when you're familiar with the actual video.
Old 06-10-20, 10:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I think it's pretty funny, but yeah, not worth getting hung up about. I liked that they included Egerton in the video, especially when you just saw him as John for 2 hours.